The Soccer Thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I want the US to dominate in a competitive field.
Well, that's the million-dollar question: can they? They don't appear to have access to the best coaching, and they don't appear to run the most disciplined system. They still have most of the best players, but what happens when that gap closes?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well, that's the million-dollar question: can they? They don't appear to have access to the best coaching, and they don't appear to run the most disciplined system. They still have most of the best players, but what happens when that gap closes?
I'd like to think that they can.

I think as a NT they can still get the best coach. Vlatko wasn't it. It appears that the vets pushed Ellis out and wanted Vlatko in, despite all his tactical mismanagement the leaders of this team seemed so like him for some reason (almost like when there were reports some Kings players vocally supported Luke staying).

We 100% need to refine the development system to match the elite club academies but the lure of a full ride to the best NCAA schools (and possibly NLI money???) is still going to steer our best athletes to soccer and basketball so our talent pool is still going to be elite - it will be a matter of selecting the best players out of that huge pool and maximizing their talent and abilities and playing a system geared towards their strengths - something Vlatko did not do.

I don't think they'll ever be "also rans" but with the tournament at 32 teams now, there might come a point where people see a semis appearance as a successful tournament vs. a failure. I still think (hope?) this result will be a fluke of sorts.

The crazy World Cup/Soccer/Sports fan in me totally just stayed up to watch the host nation (one of them) take down France in penalties!!! Unbelievable match to watch for 90 minutes + 30 minutes of extra time. What was even more unbelievable to watch was what happened after the second 15 ended. Some incredible saves to extend it all the way out to 10 rounds, and a 104th minute sub is the hero for the host nation (well, at least the host nation still standing).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If you didn't go to bed the Colombia-England match has been even better.

This tourney being wide open has been a lot of fun! But damn, USWNT have got a lot of work to do if they want to get their spot back. Coaching decision is going to be crucial.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Based on the England-Colombia vs. Spain-Sweden (the only matches I got to see each side play), I'd have given the edge to England. Also while I was wishing for Swe-Aus final, I was also hoping England would win. So jeez, nothing went right!

Very successful tournament for Women's soccer overall though. And looks like the USWNT housecleaning has begun with their GM stepping aside as well as the coach. The failure to move on from Vlatko after the Olympics merits a new GM, even if her departure is voluntary. I still think even though that's a bit lower profile of an event and they still medaled, that result was far less excusable.