Official Draft thread (merged)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really like Graham, but some mocks have him going as high as Top 12, so a good chance he'll be gone.

Simien has apparently been shooting up the mocks because of good workouts and because he surprised people by apparently measuring at a legit 6'9" instead of 6'7"/6'8". Updated mocks have him going in the teens now too.

Garcia is scary because there are a lot of people who think he may flop ala Trajan Langdon, yet he fits our softy shooter mold.

Bricklayer said:
I really like Graham, but some mocks have him going as high as Top 12, so a good chance he'll be gone.

Simien has apparently been shooting up the mocks because of good workouts and because he surprised people by apparently measuring at a legit 6'9" instead of 6'7"/6'8". Updated mocks have him going in the teens now too.

Garcia is scary because there are a lot of people who think he may flop ala Trajan Langdon, yet he fits our softy shooter mold.
Nice! Trajan Langdon, the 'Alaskan Assasin'.*L* That guy playing in the NBDL or something?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
CruzDude said:
Scanning thru the various draft web sites it appears that the Kings are not working out anyone or maybe only the few locals from last week. Wonder if they already know the 2-3 candidates who they will draft? Bound to be a Euro in there somewhere.....
Well seems the Kings may have worked out a sleeper in the Draft last week, Tiras Wade. Combining several views of the kid (ESPN, DraftCity, Hoopsworld) I came up with:

Tiras Wade SG, LA/Lafayette Jr, 6-7, 210
a kid to watch for, unbelievable athletic ability, impressive shooter 2's and 3's, more impressive going to hoop w/power, tenacity, finishes strong. comes from a small school but can score on anyone – he was scheduled to work out with the Lakers and the Kings last week – he could be a sleeper in the late first round, 20pts, 6reb. Is 23 yrs old due to redshirting after transferring.

CruzDude

A quick summary of 5 draft candidates whose names have shown up next to Kings on various Mock Drafts:

Charlie Villaneueva SF/PF, UConn, 6-11, 240
+ physically gifted, athleticism, tough
- attitude, lazy on defense
Rudy Fernandez SG, Spain, 6-5, 200
+ athleticism, ball handling, shooting incl 3pt, defense, gritty
- strength, size, doesn’t like playing PG
Hakiem Warrick PF, Syr Jr, 6-8, 218
+ most athletic big man in draft, mid-range jumper, quick
- tweener, but no SF skills, a Darius Miles type?
Sean May PF, NorCar Jr, 6-9, 260
+ MVP of final 4, beast in paint, great hands, mid-range jumper, def w/quick feet
- weight can get up, plays like center but only 6-9/6-8
Wayne Simien PF, Kan Sr, 6-9, 255
+ dominent big guy, blue collar bruiser, strong, tough, excell rebounder, leaper, 81% FT
- not shot blocker, missed many games w/injuries

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Nice! Trajan Langdon, the 'Alaskan Assasin'.*L* That guy playing in the NBDL or something?
He starts for Dynamo, Moscow, Russia. They are competing now in the Finals of the Russian League with CSKA. So far, Dynamo is losing.

http://www.fanball.com/ph/article.cfm/ID.3987

NBA Mock Draft

By Fanball Staff
June 3, 2005 3:00 PM ET

23. Sacramento Kings: Rashad McCants, SG, North Carolina
Many mocks have the Kings looking big, but with Cuttino Mobley expected to opt of his contract, Maurice Evans hitting the free agent market, and Bobby Jackson waiting to see if the team exercises his option, shooting guard seems like a priority. McCants is an unquestioned talent with character concerns, so the Kings could alternatively nab Francisco Garcia here. Depending on how the franchise handles Jackson and works the free agent market, there could be a starting spot for McCants to step into, and while you never know where his head is at, his game is ready.

I don't really like the idea of drafting McCants. He's listed at 6'4, but I've read he's possibly even shorter. How's that going to help when put against guards like Kobe, Ray Allen? He has talent, but I don't think he has lightning quickness (ala Iverson) or super athleticism (ala Darrell Griffith) for someone that size.

Tiago Splitter is not projected to be where we are (he's a projected lotto pick).

Villanueva is an interested prospect, I'd like to get him. Hopefully he'll fall, but has been projected to be picked before us in most mocks (so far)

for me, Charlie Villanueva, Joey Graham and or Turiaf are excellent choices whoever is available by the time we get to pick.

I like Villanueva. I've been hoping we would get him for a while. BTW is McCants supposed to go in the 20's? I was expecting him to go higher. Of course, I've been a Tarheel since birth, so maybe I'm biased. Really though, I was thinking he would go in the top 15-18.

Bricklayer

CaminoChaos said:
http://www.fanball.com/ph/article.cfm/ID.3987

NBA Mock Draft

By Fanball Staff
June 3, 2005 3:00 PM ET

23. Sacramento Kings: Rashad McCants, SG, North Carolina
Many mocks have the Kings looking big, but with Cuttino Mobley expected to opt of his contract, Maurice Evans hitting the free agent market, and Bobby Jackson waiting to see if the team exercises his option, shooting guard seems like a priority. McCants is an unquestioned talent with character concerns, so the Kings could alternatively nab Francisco Garcia here. Depending on how the franchise handles Jackson and works the free agent market, there could be a starting spot for McCants to step into, and while you never know where his head is at, his game is ready.

McCants OR Garcia would severely scare me. A midget with an attitude problem, or a softie shooter who struggles against the elite teams. Aren't we already buried in enoguh of that sort of crap? Let's hope they are wrong. VERY wrong.

I think the following players are good prospects for the kings:

Johan Petro | Power Forward/Center | International | Pau-Orthez | 7-0 | 260

You can actually play him at Power Forward or move Brad Miller to Power Forward. Petro is raw talent, but very athletic at 19 years old. He's the # one prospect out of France and maybe all of Europe. He definitely has great potential but has to change attitude on the court and play harder (kind of like the International Chris Taft). He's an excellent shot blocker like Dalmbert. Like Dalmbert he started playing basketball late - began playing basketball at the age of 12. Started basketball some years ago, played for the under 18 national team at just 16. He' pretty big boned, but he doesn't look like it in the pictures I saw him in. His foot speed is terrible. He can't guard quicker players. He needs to play harder if he wants to become a great player. Most scouts call him too cocky.

Julius Hodge (6'7', 205, NC State Sr)

The Kings have depth in most of the frontcourt, and could use a guy like Hodge to back up Mobley or Evans (depending if Mobley leaves or not) and be a factor in regards to his ballhandling and things. He's been at the most workouts, and impressing everyone that seems to be there - so his mid 2nd round stock has gone and now it looks more of a late 1st rounder. His ballhandling is like a PG, and his mentality to these workouts is what teams what to see. His shooting isn't the best but hopefully with guys like Peja on the Kings, he can improve that. Can be a leader and hustles well - just can he bulk up a bit and use his hustle for the better?

Andray Blatche (PF)

What do you gyus think?

I think Petro is going to be a lottery pick. He'd be an awesome fit, potentially able to address all of our frontcourt problems. It's hard for me to picture a situation where so many teams pass on that type of a center.

I really like Hodge. He's versitile, he's got heart and he's as close to NBA Ready as you can get out of the 23rd pick.

Blatche is interesting. There are going to be a ton of big men taken before him, but he could end up being better than most of them. None of those guys are surefire all-stars and several of them are undersized. In 5 years, you might look back and wonder to yourself how people could think May or Simien or Diogu (or any of the other big men likely to go from 10 to 22) would be better than Blatche.

CruzDude

Petro and Hodge seem OK but none of the pundits and prognosticators have either of them as high as mid-20s in first round. And as Bballkinsrock said about Petro "...Most scouts call him too cocky", that won't fit with Petrie. Hodge sounds like a poor man's Kevin Martin. We need defense with some authority who can start at PF or get 20-25min a game.

http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadraft/l/bl_mockdraft_a.htm

Updated 5/25/05 ***Official NBA Draft Order***

1. Milwaukee Bucks --
Andrew Bogut, C, Utah

2. Atlanta Hawks --
Marvin Williams, SF, North Carolina

3. Portland Trailblazers --
Gerald Green, SG/SF, High School

4. New Orleans Hornets --
Chris Paul, PG, Wake Forest

5. Charlotte Bobcats -- Deron Williams, PG, Illinois

6. Utah Jazz --
Martynas Andriuskevicius, C, Lithuania

7. Toronto Raptors --
Ray Felton, PG, North Carolina

8. New York Knicks -- Chris Taft, PF/C, Pittsburgh

9. Golden State Warriors -- Fran Vazquez, PF, Spain

10. L.A. Lakers --
Danny Granger, SF, New Mexico

11. Orlando Magic --
Martell Webster, SG, High School

12. L.A. Clippers -- Antoine Wright, SG/SF, Texas A&M

13. Charlotte Bobcats --
Johan Petro, C, France
(From Cleveland via Phoenix)

14. Minnesota Timberwolves --
Channing Frye, PF/C, Arizona

15. New Jersey Nets --
Sean May, PF, North Carolina

16. Toronto Raptors -- Tiago Splitter, PF/C, Brazil
(From Philadelphia via New Jersey via Denver)

17. Indiana Pacers -- Rudy Fernandez, SG, Spain

18. Boston Celtics --
Hakim Warrick, SF/PF, Syracuse

19. Memphis Grizzlies -- Jarret Jack, PG, Georgia Tech

20. Denver Nuggets -- Nemanja Aleksandrov, SF, Serbia-Montenegro
(From Washington via Orlando)

21. Phoenix Suns --
Charlie Villanueva, PF, Connecticut
(From Chicago)

22. Denver Nuggets --
Monta Ellis, SG, High School

23. Sacramento Kings --
Francisco Garcia, SG/SF, Louisville

24. Houston Rockets -- Ike Diogu, PF, Arizona St.

25. Seattle Sonics --
Andray Blatche, SF/PF, High School

26. Detroit Pistons --
Rashad McCants, SG, North Carolina

27. Utah Jazz -- Marko Thomas, SG, Croatia
(From Dallas)

28. San Antonio Spurs -- Ersan Ilyasova, SF, Turkey

29. Miami Heat --
Wayne Simien, PF, Kansas

30. New York Knicks -- Andrew Bynum, C, High School
(From Phoenix via San Antonio)

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Yah, I like Ike too. Great freethrow shooting for how many he takes and can just pound and pound and draw fouls.
And he's got a decent, if not good, shot. I doubt he'll be on the board still when we're up

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Or Elton Brand or Zach Randolph depending on your point of view. I tend towards Randolph. He won't get the rebounds that Brand gets, but he can score at will in the paint and he's got the wingspan to play defense down low too. The guy just dominates in college. Probably more than any other player in the draft (but you have to factor level of competition in there too).

hrdboild said:
Or Elton Brand or Zach Randolph depending on your point of view. I tend towards Randolph. He won't get the rebounds that Brand gets, but he can score at will in the paint and he's got the wingspan to play defense down low too. The guy just dominates in college. Probably more than any other player in the draft (but you have to factor level of competition in there too).
It is very rare that an undersized post player excels. Randolph is not, Brand is your exception.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well if he weren't undersized, we wouldn't possibly have a shot at him picking at #23. The fact that he's undersized and we still might not get a shot at him tells you how good he is. And this is a weak draft for PFs too. I'm not the guy's agent or anything, I have no personal stake in whether he does well or not, I just look at his college stats and see a guy who was pretty much instoppable against everyone he faced. Given the choice, I'd rather draft a guy who dominated in college than a known underachiever or a guy with "potential".

And I think Kenny Thomas would actually be pretty good for this team if he stopped taking the jumpers and took it to the hoop instead.

hrdboild said:
Well if he weren't undersized, we wouldn't possibly have a shot at him picking at #23. The fact that he's undersized and we still might not get a shot at him tells you how good he is. And this is a weak draft for PFs too. I'm not the guy's agent or anything, I have no personal stake in whether he does well or not, I just look at his college stats and see a guy who was pretty much instoppable against everyone he faced. Given the choice, I'd rather draft a guy who dominated in college than a known underachiever or a guy with "potential".

And I think Kenny Thomas would actually be pretty good for this team if he stopped taking the jumpers and took it to the hoop instead.
Whether he is late first, undrafted, or the first pick he is what he is. A 6'8 PF. Corlis dominated the college ranks too. I guess, with the small team we already have, I do not want to see another undersized guy on the roster.

Bricklayer

An undersized PF is one of the very worst things you can have in basketball. The ultimate worthless tweener, handicapped on both sides of the floor. For every Brand, there are 10 Marcus Fizers. Along with the classic 6'1" OG, its the most deceptive type of player colleges turn out -- just does not translate well at ALL to the top level.

Now that said, some of the reports on Diogu are interesting because like Brand he has a very sophisticated post game and apparently has a monster wingspan -- very very long arms that might allow him to actually defend his position despite being too short. Elton is nearly unique among stubby PFs with his ability to block shots and actually be a factor on defense. If Diogu can do the same, than maybe he can pull it off and earn playing time without ruining your interior defense.

Corliss Williamson ain't 6'8" though. Or any where near it for that matter. The guy has to be about 6'5" at best. A guy 6'8" is much different then a guy 6'5" unless your name is Sir Charles. Corliss is WAY too undersized to play PF, as we saw this season.