Official Draft thread (merged)

SacTownKid said:
Corliss Williamson ain't 6'8" though. Or any where near it for that matter. The guy has to be about 6'5" at best. A guy 6'8" is much different then a guy 6'5" unless your name is Sir Charles. Corliss is WAY too undersized to play PF, as we saw this season.
I don't think he is 6 feet, 5 inces. That wou.ld mean he is as tallas a Mobley. He is at last 6 feet and 7 inches.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bballkingsrock said:
I don't think he is 6 feet, 5 inces. That wou.ld mean he is as tallas a Mobley. He is at last 6 feet and 7 inches.
No, as I recall that was one of the big shockers with Corliss -- in college they has him listed at a ridiculous 6'9" or something playing center, and then he came out, got measured, and turned out to be 6'5". Soon afterward he lost a ton of weight to ry ot learn how to play SF because clearly he had no future at PF. That is until he retunred for his second stint with Sacto at which point he was back to being a center again. :rolleyes:

I don't think he is 6 feet, 5 inces. That wou.ld mean he is as tallas a Mobley. He is at last 6 feet and 7 inches
Isn't Mobley only 6'1" or there abouts. I thought one of his knocks was his size.

Edit: Never mind, according to the link above it has him listed at 6'4"

Bricklayer

Bballkingsrock said:
On KIngs.com it says he is 6 feet 7 inches:

http://www.nba.com/kings/roster/index.html
Uh yeah. Point being?

Seriously -- that is pretty much a worthless designation, because for some insane reason the NBA doesn't have a mandatory official measurement at the beginning of every year. So instead every team gets to do its own measuring and list players at whatever height they, or the players' agents, feel like. Leads to some silly "measurements" sometimes that can't possibly be true and aren't resolved for years. Especially true of big men who aren't really that big but have a vested interest in being listed as considerably taller.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Uh yeah. Point being?

Seriously -- that is pretty much a worthless designation, becasue for soem insane reason the NBA doesn't ahve a mndatory official measurement at the beginning of every year. So instead every team gets to do its own measuring and list players at whatever height they, or the players' agents, feel like. Leads to some silly "measurements" sometimes that can't possibly be true and aren't resolved for years. Especially true of big men who aren't really that big but have a vested interest in being listed as considerably taller.
The same goes for the weight thing as well. Players are usually listed at the same weight their whole career yet some get fat and there weight somehow stays unchanged according to their player stats.

sorry if this is posted already, i haven't read through this entire string. Warrick's workout from insider:

Hakim Warrick's workout

The Chicago pre-draft camp doesn't start until tonight, so I took the chance to go back into Tim Grover's gym to catch Hakim Warrick's workout.

Warrick worked out for the Knicks, Hornets, Blazers, Clippers, Lakers, Raptors and Bobcats.

The reviews have been mixed. Teams love the athleticism and pedigree, but he plays so effortlessly that it often looks like he's coasting. He worked out vigerously for an hour alongside the 76ers' Andre Iguodala on Tuesday -- and barely broke a sweat. Despite the appearance, Grover says Warrick's one of the hardest workers in the gym.

Warrick was in Charlotte on Monday working out for the Bobcats. After the workout GM Bernie Bickerstaff complimented Warrick on his improved mid-range jumper. He wasn't kidding.

Warrick barely missed from inside 18 feet today. His shooting mechanics are silky smooth. He gets such great lift on his jumper that its going to be hard to stop at the pro level. The only real knock is that he hasn't developed real NBA 3-point range ... yet.

Warrick's been working out with Grover for eight weeks in an attempt to work on his perimeter skills and add weight to his super-thin frame. The shot looks great, but his body is still a work in progress.

Grover had him up to 228 before workouts began. But he's already dropped back down to 220. That's still an 18-pound improvement from when he came in. That's right -- he came into Grover's weighing 202 pounds.

Grover believes Warrick eventually will weigh around 235, but Warrick has to keep drinking his protein shakes.

"They're terrible," Warrick said. "Worst thing I've ever tasted. It takes me two-and-a-half hours to drink one. It's pink and tastes worse than Pepto Bismal."

The reason his weight is such as issue is that teams are still trying to figure out his position in the pros. Warrick has the length and leaping ability to be a dominant 4, but he's going to have to keep packing on the weight if he's going to guard NBA power forwards.

That's why the focus, for now, is on highlighting his skills as a 3. He still needs to work on his ballhandling and his long-range shooting, but he's improved dramatically in a short time. And in a few years, if the pounds ever come, he could be a big-time 4.

"Hakim's just a player," Grover said. "When you roll out the ball in a game situation, he produces. I think he'll be a lottery pick based on what I've seen." If he keeps hitting that jumper and packing on the pounds, Grover might be right.

Bricklayer

Just playing, but watch this:

1) The Portland Tribune is reporting that the Blazers are looking to move the #3 pick. Furthermore, they are reporting they are looking for an OG. Possibly they are looking to move down in the draft, but the final line of the article was this: "Or the Blazers could try to package the pick with the rights to veteran Nick Van Exel and his nonguaranteed $13-million contract to secure a veteran shooting guard such as Ray Allen, Michael Redd or Corey Maggette."

2) IMHO, none of the teams with rights to Allen, Redd or Maggette are going to want to dump them for a draft pick and cap room (well, you never know with Donald Sterling).

3) However, one of the best OGs NOT included on that list happens to be Cat Mobley, and we just MIGHT be amenable to such a deal.

4) The Blazers have the richest owner in sports -- in such a deal Cat gets paid (overpaid) with a bigger deal than anybody else would give him. Therefore he just might agree to the sign and trade to make it happen.

5) The Blazers get a veteran (which the article sounded like they might actually be looking for), and a solid citizen/non-gangster to help repair their tattered image.

6) We get a very high draft pick for "free", and then Nick's contract comes right off the books. We actually manage to shed salary and get a high pick simultaneously. Only problem being that the consensus #3 pick right now is a PG, which is not our main need.

7) Generous as he may be, even Paul Allen isn't going to pay Cat $13 mil a year, so the deal would have to be expanded. But we could throw in Corliss to make it work -- another solid citizen to help Portland's image. Or Bobby (cringe) -- expiring deal and a counterpunch to Telfair for a year while teachign him the ropes. Or Tag (expiring, backup to Pryzbilla). Could also offer to swap them Kenny Thomas for Miles to rid them of another problem and give them insurance in case Randolph is out/ruined (Miles has a very similar bad/long contract to Kenny) , while adding youth and athleticism to our frontline (I detest Miles, but its a thought) etc.

In the end we could do:

Cutino Mobley
Corliss Williamson or Bobby Jackson or Greg Ostertag

for

#3 pick
Nick Van Exel (expiring)

Or expanded if they really want rid of Miles and his 'tude and/or need insurance for Randolph:

Cutino Mobley
Kenny Thomas

for

#3 pick
Darius Miles
Nick Van Exel (expiring)

Etc. Etc. Much depends on windows, and who between the Blazers and us is more scared of developing young talent rather than winning now. I wouldn't if I were the Blazers. But the top fo the draft is soft this year, and they may be looking for a sure thing and mature presence. So who needs Petrie? :p

Last edited:

Bricklayer

BTW, I'm baffled by the insistence of this Warrick-as-4 stuff. He's too small to be a 4. Too short AND too skinny. What he needs to do is develop a perimeter game and then become what Darius Miles should have been -- nasty, physically dominant SF.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Just playing, but watch this:

1) The Portland Tribune is reporting that the Blazers are looking to move the #3 pick. Furthermore, they are reporting they are looking for an OG. Possibly they are looking to move down in the draft, but the final line of the article was this: "Or the Blazers could try to package the pick with the rights to veteran Nick Van Exel and his nonguaranteed $13-million contract to secure a veteran shooting guard such as Ray Allen, Michael Redd or Corey Maggette."

2) IMHO, none of the teams with rights to Allen, Redd or Maggette are going to want to dump them for a draft pick and cap room (well, you never know with Donald Sterling).

3) However, one of the best OGs NOT included on that list happens to be Cat Mobley, and we just MIGHT be amenable to such a deal.

4) The Blazers have the richest owner in sports -- in such a deal Cat gets paid (overpaid) with a bigger deal than anybody else would give him. Therefore he just might agree to the sign and trade to make it happen.

5) The Blazers get a veteran (which the article sounded like they might actually be looking for), and a solid citizen/non-gangster to help repair their tattered image.

6) We get a very high draft pick for "free", and then Nick's contract comes right off the books. We actually manage to shed salary and get a high pick simultaneously. Only problem being that the consensus #3 pick right now is a PG, which is not our main need.

7) Generous as he may be, even Paul Allen isn't going to pay Cat $13 mil a year, so the deal would have to be expanded. But we could throw in Corliss to make it work -- another solid citizen to help Portland's image. Or Bobby (cringe) -- expiring deal and a counterpunch to Telfair for a year while teachign him the ropes. Or Tag (expiring, backup to Pryzbilla). Could also offer to swap them Kenny Thomas for Miles to rid them of another problem and give them insurance in case Randolph is out/ruined (Miles has a very similar bad/long contract to Kenny) , while adding youth and athleticism to our frontline (I detest Miles, but its a thought) etc.

In the end we could do:

Cutino Mobley

for

#3 pick
Nick Van Exel (expiring)

Or expanded if they really want rid of Miles and his 'tude and/or need insurance for Randolph:

Cutino Mobley
Kenny Thomas

for

#3 pick
Darius Miles
Nick Van Exel (expiring)

Etc. Etc. Much depends on windows, and who between the Blazers and us is more scared of developing young talent rather than winning now. I wouldn't if I were the Blazers. But the top fo the draft is soft this year, and they may be looking for a sure thing and mature presence. So who needs Petrie? :p
Interesting, I like the last scenerio best (using Williamson). Just because the third player is expected to be a PG, you don't have to use the pick on one.

Oops, slight detail that causes a problem. With cat opting out, he can't be used to acquire the pick on draft night. I imagine if they are going to trade the pick it would be then.

whozit is right, though if a deal was struck prior and all parties agreed then I guess it could be possible. (Though I'm not sure if teams can talk to their own players about that before the July 1st date). I think the Blazers could settle for a move down and try to draft Gerald Green or Antoine Wright.

Bricklayer

whozit said:
Oops, slight detail that causes a problem. With cat opting out, he can't be used to acquire the pick on draft night. I imagine if they are going to trade the pick it would be then.
Actually, that is good point that would apply equally as well to Allen and Redd. Which makes me wonder now what that last paragraph of the article meant. Of course this year the delay would only be a single day so...maybe.

Draft is June 30th right? Starts at 7:00pm ET. Free agents become free midnight that night (July 1)? So maybe a delay of a few hours? Oh well.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Actually, that is good point that would apply equally as well to Allen and Redd. Which makes me wonder now what that last paragraph of the article meant. Of course this year the delay would only be a single day so...maybe.

Draft is June 30th right? Starts at 7:00pm ET. Free agents become free midnight that night (July 1)? So maybe a delay of a few hours? Oh well.
I thought the Draft was on June 28th.

Free agents become free midnight that night (July 1)? So maybe a delay of a few hours? Oh well.
Overlooking the two day difference between the 28th and 30th, there would still be the aproximate two week freeze before you can actually sign a free agent. I'm not sure the exact date signings can begin (15th?).

Bricklayer

Its ok, I have now moved onto plotting how to steal Bogut from Milwaulkee to be our new Vlade. ;)

So far I've got Bobby and Tag (ending contracts), Kevin (young swingman to backup Redd/Mason), & our #23 pick for the #1 pick, Calvin Booth's crappy contract and Reece Gaines (to make the numbers work). Of course it only works if Mil wants to resign Gadzuric, is not entirely sold on Bogut, wants cap room and to be rid of the ridiculous Booth contract, and/or is pursuing Big Z or Swift as a free agent (which has been rumored). But they are a bad team with a lot of holes to fill, and vets, ending contracts, picks & kids all together might be more useful to them (and signing Big Z might up their chances of resigning Redd) etc. figure the ending deals given them a chance at another free agent next year too if they forego the Big Z option. Anyway, can't keep a good dreamer down. :)

Also note the true brilliance of assuming the Bucks are idiots -- by carefully selecting the players to send them (and not including any of our unmovable midlevel mini-PFs just for realism), I have kept open the equally pipedreamy Peja/Miller for KG and Mobley for Nene deals, thus 100% assuring us of starting next season with a Bogut/Nene/Garnett frontline, Bibby at the PG, and Bongo the partially potty trained three-legged llama at SG. :D

thus 100% assuring us of starting next season with a Bogut/Nene/Garnett frontline, Bibby at the PG, and Bongo the partially potty trained three-legged llama at SG.

Now that would make for an interesting game!! Who get assigned "clean up" duties??

http://www.fanball.com/ph/article.cfm/ID.3998

NBA Mock Draft

By Fanball Staff
June 10, 2005 1:00 PM ET

Deron Williams is destined to be running the Hawks, 'Cats, or Jazz.

In our first in a weekly series of first round projections, we had the Bucks opting for upside in talented young forward Marvin Williams from North Carolina. This week, the Cheeseheads go in a different direction, selecting a true presence in the paint. Let's see how the rest of the first round plays out with the big fella going No. 1.

23. Sacramento Kings: Sean May, PF, North Carolina
The Kings could use some backcourt help with Cuttino Mobley likely heading to free agency, but they also need some bodies up front to replace Chris Webber and free-agent-to-be Darius Songalia. May is the best big man left on the board, beating out Wayne Simien, Peja Samardziski, Charlie Villanueva, and the plummeting Chris Taft. The Final Four MVP would have to contend with Kenny Thomas for minutes, but May is a rebounding machine that could be a fantasy factor if given 30 minutes per night.

Bricklayer

hrdboild said:
Well at least somebody has us drafting a PF.
You know if Simien, Taft, Villanueva and May are all on the board at #23, that's it, I want us to start a massive trading frenzy to get picks #23, #24, #25 AND #26 and take all 4 guys. :) I don't trust any of them to definitely make it, but I can virtually guarantee ONE of them will become a good player, and I don't want to be the team caught lookign stupid in a couople of years for having takent he wrong guy. ;)

Bricklayer said:
You know if Simien, Taft, Villanueva and May are all on the board at #23, that's it, I want us to start a massive trading frenzy to get picks #23, #24, #25 AND #26 and take all 4 guys. :) I don't trust any of them to definitely make it, but I can virtually guarantee ONE of them will become a good player, and I don't want to be the team caught lookign stupid in a couople of years for having takent he wrong guy. ;)
Villanueva would fit Sac's finesse style best. Taft is a knucklehead it appears. May's body will be a big detraction, but he's a beast on the boards.

I'd go Villanueva, May, Simien, Taft if I were Petrie.

Bricklayer

CaminoChaos said:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11858867.htm

"Rush had private workouts for Toronto and Sacramento last week. He said both went well, but that someone in Toronto’s front office told him to put more effort into defense. He took it to heart and said he impressed the people in Sacramento so much that they told him he could be selected as high as No. 20. Sacramento has the No. 23 pick." Kansas City Star
Can't access...who? Who's Rush?