Official Draft thread (merged)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
NoBonus said:
That's what I'm saying! A project? Now? Maybe if we had 8-10 solid players ahead of the rookie, but not right now. Just no room for that kind of trial and error/hit and miss project.
Well, if the HS kid is Gerald Green, that's a little different given that he's drawn comparisons to Tracy McGrady. That's worth the time, but we'd have to trade way way up to get into posistion to take him.

But as an overall strategy I would tend to agree that if we choose an 18yr old kid that would say a lot about our mentality -- that we were going to settle back and accept being out of the hunt for a few years while we rebuilt. Seems more likely we look for help now and try to reload on the fly here.

Bricklayer said:
Well, if the HS kid is Gerald Green, that's a little different given that he's drawn comparisons to Tracy McGrady. That's worth the time, but we'd have to trade way way up to get into posistion to take him.

But as an overall strategy I would tend to agree that if we choose an 18yr old kid that would say a lot about our mentality -- that we were going to settle back and accept being out of the hunt for a few years while we rebuilt. Seems more likely we look for help now and try to reload on the fly here.
Trading up to get a top pick is a totally different scenario, but our current pick needs to be either a player with college experience or a player the Kings can trade.

Bricklayer said:
I think that as an added bonus to this year's draft. We the kings fans will be able to see where GP and Maloofs want to take the team. To me, thats the main question. Are we going to get a player that is going to develope in a couple years, or are we going to get a player that can help our team ASAP. To reebuild or to stock up on some free agents and "do or die" for the championship.

But, back on topic. I really hope that we choose a "project" player. I don't know who yet, but i trust the executive office can bring in some really solid player(s) (hopefully we can trade for some picks)

What do you mean 'can't trust these sites?' They are mocks, projections, nothing more. Wait till the actual workouts start, then you will REALLY see some movement, as well as a huge disparity among sites as to who is going where, usually. This early they will often show guys who end up not even being in the draft for various reasons. If that's what you mean by 'can't trust them' then, yep.

I shouldnt have said them because I am really only reffering to this site. Yesterday we were to get CJ at #23 and today Denver gets CJ at #22 and we get the next top ranked guy in their opinion. Im just saying its not based on needs, just rankings so you cant trust them for the most part. We already have a 7ft center... why would we need another one? We need help and it isnt at the center position. Thats all.

I do NOT want us to draft a "project" player. I don't think we (the fans) are ready for a LONG TERM rebuiling stage. However, since in all reality we are in a rebuilding phase, it would not shock me. I think we need to draft a player for trade bait, but after all the moves this season, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA where we are headed as a team. I just can't wait for things to start so I can begin to get a feeling of the direction the Maloofs and Petrie are going to take us.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
its been changed... yesterday nbadraft.net said we were taking miles but he got moved up a spot to #22 for denver. Cant trust these sites when info changes this fast and no explination.
Yeah, it's still a bit too early for them to project without the workouts. Nbadraft.net said that Portland would take Chris Paul with the third pick. Portland already picked their point guard for the future last year, so it doesn't make sense for them to pick another one. So really don't look too much into what these draft experts say. I really like what they said about Ronny Turaif, he "will be a fan favorite when he reaches the next level because of his non-stop hustle." I think we could really use somebody like that.

Bricklayer

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
I shouldnt have said them because I am really only reffering to this site. Yesterday we were to get CJ at #23 and today Denver gets CJ at #22 and we get the next top ranked guy in their opinion. Im just saying its not based on needs, just rankings so you cant trust them for the most part. We already have a 7ft center... why would we need another one? We need help and it isnt at the center position. Thats all.
I disagree with that one -- we BADLY need help at the center position, but maybe as a backup rather than a starter. As it is we don't really have a center -- Brad just lines up there because he's tall, but he does none of the things you nromally expect a center to do for you (block shots, defend the interior, dominate the glass, post up etc. etc.). If he's back as the starter next year we really need to find a backup who Rick (or whoever) will actually play who does all those things Brad cannot. And drafting at #23, if we could score a guy who was a legit playable backup center, we would have done pretty well. Hard to draft stars at that spot int he draft. Happy to just get contributors, let alone contributing big men.

Bricklayer said:
I disagree with that one -- we BADLY need help at the center position, but maybe as a backup rather than a starter. As it is we don't really have a center -- Brad just lines up there because he's tall, but he does none of the things you nromally expect a center to do for you (block shots, defend the interior, dominate the glass, post up etc. etc.). If he's back as the starter next year we really need to find a backup who Rick (or whoever) will actually play who does all those things Brad cannot. And drafting at #23, if we could score a guy who was a legit playable backup center, we would have done pretty well. Hard to draft stars at that spot int he draft. Happy to just get contributors, let alone contributing big men.
True... I think its just we need help in other places. Ive never heared anything about the guy for one and there is limited into that I could find but If he can come in and start for us a center possibly and move Brad to PF that would be cool. Did Brad play PF or C when Peja had the crazy year without Webber in 03-04?

What about thea 7 feet and 8 inche chinese dude? Is he any good? Will he be ther for the #23 pick still? I think the KIngs could use his size as an advantage, What do you guys think?

Bballkingsrock said:
What about thea 7 feet and 8 inche chinese dude? Is he any good? Will he be ther for the #23 pick still? I think the KIngs could use his size as an advantage, What do you guys think?
Isnt he underage? I thought he was technically only a Junior in HS. I may be wrong though. Ill take a 7 foot 8 guy to develop and beef up a bit.

Here is what they said about him today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2071580

HONG KONG -- A 7-foot-8 Chinese basketball player hopes to follow in the footsteps of Houston Rockets center Yao Ming.

Sun Mingming, two inches taller than Yao, has attended a training camp in the United States and hopes to be picked in the NBA draft next month, the South China Morning Post reported Sunday.

If the 22-year-old Sun is signed by an NBA team, he would become the tallest player in league history.

Gheorghe Muresan and Manute Bol, at 7-foot-7, are the tallest players in NBA history.

Former NBA player Keith Gatlin, a coach who has worked with Sun, told the newspaper that the Chinese prospect is a 70 percent shooter but needs to work on his agility.

"He really doesn't get much lift and that's something we're looking at to improve," Gatlin said.

Still, Gatlin noted Sun's height means "he pretty much only needs to stand with his arms up in front of the net and he's blocking the basket."

i think he would be a good addition to the KIngs.

Bricklayer

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
True... I think its just we need help in other places. Ive never heared anything about the guy for one and there is limited into that I could find but If he can come in and start for us a center possibly and move Brad to PF that would be cool. Did Brad play PF or C when Peja had the crazy year without Webber in 03-04?
Brad played PF, but the real key there was the guy playing center. This kid (Bynum) is potentially another Shaq/Curry, not a Vladeesque passer. It would be insane to pick up a post player that big at that point in the draft. Hard to beleive he'd still be around -- and if he is, I would have to ask what the problem was -- maybe people thinking he's more Jerome James than Eddie Curry. In any case, we need more of what he might provide -- big physical banger inside who can post on offense and body up big guys on defense.

Bricklayer said:
Brad played PF, but the real key there was the guy playing center. This kid (Bynum) is potentially another Shaq/Curry, not a Vladeesque passer. It would be insane to pick up a post player that big at that point in the draft. Hard to beleive he'd still be around -- and if he is, I would have to ask what the problem was -- maybe people thinking he's more Jerome James than Eddie Curry. In any case, we need more of what he might provide -- big physical banger inside who can post on offense and body up big guys on defense.
Im assuming there's no Amare's in the draft huh? :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think some of you need to let go of the notion that we're going to find a quality starter that will meet our needs with the 23rd pick of the draft. It just doesn't happen.

As far as the Chinese kid goes, he's raw with limited skills. We don't need him, either. Think of Shawn Bradley but without the basketball savvy.

;)

VF21 said:
I think some of you need to let go of the notion that we're going to find a quality starter that will meet our needs with the 23rd pick of the draft. It just doesn't happen.

As far as the Chinese kid goes, he's raw with limited skills. We don't need him, either. Think of Shawn Bradley but without the basketball savvy.

;)
Shawn Bradley?...Playing for the Kings?

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Bynum's going in the early-mid teens. You may have a shot at Randolph Morris out of UK. He's a legit C, but young. Turiaf is about 6'10" in shoes, but a bit foul prone on D. Rumor has it that Channing Frye has a guarantee from GS at 9 so he might be out of the question. Andray Blatche is a darkhorse, who'll probably be gone a few picks above Sac. Everyone else in the 23 range with a post base is undersized for NBA C.

Bricklayer

Gargamel said:
Bynum's going in the early-mid teens. You may have a shot at Randolph Morris out of UK. He's a legit C, but young. Turiaf is about 6'10" in shoes, but a bit foul prone on D. Rumor has it that Channing Frye has a guarantee from GS at 9 so he might be out of the question. Andray Blatche is a darkhorse, who'll probably be gone a few picks above Sac. Everyone else in the 23 range with a post base is undersized for NBA C.
Ah, but not according to the geniuses over at NBAdraft.net, who now have us getting Bynum at #23 in their 1634th possible mock draft prediction. :)

VF21 said:
I didn't say Shawn Bradley would be playing for the Kings. I used him as a comparison ...
I know... And I used that comparison and figured that nbadraft.net has us taking a possible Shawn Bradley-like player at #23 so I said no thanks. ;)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
VF21 said:
Well it's not likely, but it definately does happen. Josh Howard at 29. Tayshaun Prince at 23. Carlos Boozer at 35. Sam Dalembert at 26. Tony Park at 28. Gilbert Arenas at 31. Bobby Simmons at 42. Michael Redd at 43. Andrei Kirilenko at 24. Manu Ginobli at 57.

These aren't just exceptions, there's some every year. I think the key in the draft is not trying to fill whatever needs you have now, but to find those one or two players that will become stars in the league. That's easier said than done, but I think that should be the goal.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point was that some people seem to think we're going to find someone who will step right into a starting position and perform at a high level directly out of the draft and that generally doesn't happen. This year's crop, especially with the influx of all the high school players, doesn't look that strong and I don't think we're going to find the "instant star" like another LeBron James, etc.

Bricklayer

The Chinese kid actually has one GREAT skill -- apparently he hits everything he shoots, and nobody can alter the shot in the least. But he's a terrible athlete at this point. Really reminscient of Gheorghe Muresan. People forget that before he became a joke Gheorghe was utterly unstoppable inside there for a couple of years before his freakish body gave out. Would just lumber on down court, park his humongous butt wherever he wanted to in the paint, catch the ball, and turn and shoot it at will. He would shoot close to 60% every year, and in his best season was a 14pt 10reb 2.5blk center. But he was just such a terrbile athlete that you had to question whether it was all worth it. He couldn't run, so in any fastbreak game it was 4 on 5, couldn't rotate or play the pick and roll etc. But he was very effective at what he did. Ming Ming sounds like maybe something similar.

If we had a second round pick I have a hard time seeing why we wouldn't take a chance -- what, afraid to miss the next Ricky Minard? But as it is, even down in the boring 20's in the first round I think you want to be sure the guy you pick can be a contributor.

hrdboild said:
These aren't just exceptions, there's some every year. I think the key in the draft is not trying to fill whatever needs you have now, but to find those one or two players that will become stars in the league. That's easier said than done, but I think that should be the goal.
I think we should get the best player available who BEST meets our NEEDS. If we get players simply because one day they may be a star, chances are, we will already be stacked at that position. That means they will sit on the bench and get little game time, but losts of practice time that will make them very good. Just when they begin to develop, their contract will be up. Since there is little loyalty on all sides (ownership, management, and players), they will sign for big bucks with another team. We develop and train them, then they leave. That is why I say, choose players that will help us the most now, not in a few years. If we were a lottery team, I would go with your suggestion. Since we are not, at least not yet, I say take the player that can have the biggest impact the quickest. The other option is to trade the pick. Picks in the 20's are risky at best. You do get lucky from time to time, but let's face it, luck is not one of our strong suits.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
chelle said:
The other option is to trade the pick. Picks in the 20's are risky at best. You do get lucky from time to time, but let's face it, luck is not one of our strong suits.
And that is a real possibility, especially in light of what we have available to trade.