Official Draft thread (merged)

From what I understand Jason Maxiell is an absolute monster on defense... "lockdown" is the term I've heard. Sure he's only 6'6" but as was mentioned has about a 7'2" wingspan, which is really more important. There's no way Big Ben is over 6'7" barefoot, and look how dominant he is. Also, Maxiell should still be available at #23 as I've heard him projected as a late first or early second round pick. He could be Artest without the crazy.

Unless one of the top fifteen guys unexpectedly becomes available to us, I'd seriously consider Maxiell.
~~

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another name to throw out: Ersan Ilyasova

A versatile small forward, he has been hampered by a fractured ankle he suffered last year. Apparently he is from Uzbekistan but plays for a team in Turkey.

Before he was hurt, scouts liked his athleticism and skills for a bigger player.

Hido part II? I wouldn't put it past Petrie. He has the offensive skills Geoff seems to love, and if he's the best prospect on the board, I'd rather see him nab the kid than reach for need. Plus, this kid looks like Jim Carrey from Me, Myself & Irene:

That being said, I HOPE the best prospect on Petrie's board is an athletic PF. But as I've said before, the Kings really NEED this pick to be a success. If it has to be another PG or SF, I'd much rather see that than a reach pick that doesn't work out.

Don Nelson had a reputation for not playing most rookies and ridiculing the ones he did (Webber, Owens and Hardaway come to mind). Recently though he did play Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels, both of whom were not lottery picks. But for the most part, Nellie hated playing rookies because they made too many mistakes.

O

ONEZERO

What ever happened to the "future draft pick" we received from atlanta for dan dickau? Did we use it already? Or did we trade it away or are we still waiting for it?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
An interesting name to watch for on draft night - Lucas Tischer

A brazilian big man (6'10" 270) he seems to have a lot of potential as a low post player and is already a solid defensive force. Reportedly he is also very athletic in addition to having a well developed body.

I'm not sure he's even in consideration for the late first round, but if Petrie can pick up a 2nd rounder, he would seem to bring things to the table that the Kings desperately need.

Of course, I can only go by what I've read. But here's a write up: Lucas Tischer

ONEZERO said:
What ever happened to the "future draft pick" we received from atlanta for dan dickau? Did we use it already? Or did we trade it away or are we still waiting for it?
Here you go:

Kings, Pistons exchange first-round picks

June 9, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports
http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/sponsorships.spln.com/fs/stories/nba;arena=nba;feat=stories;type=psa;team=DET;user=Anonymous;cust=no;vip=no;sz=234x42;tile=5;ord=908371119906228?
[font=Arial, Helvetica]SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento Kings completed a complicated trade of first-round draft picks with the Detroit Pistons on Monday.

Detroit got Sacramento's rights to the Atlanta Hawks' pick in one of the next two drafts. In return, the Kings reclaimed a first-round pick they traded to Detroit two years ago.

The Kings acquired the Hawks' pick last summer for the rights to Dan Dickau. Sacramento owed one of its first-round picks before 2008 to the Pistons after a 2001 trade involving Jon Barry and Mateen Cleaves.

"This gives us all of our flexibility back with regards to our first-round draft selections going forward," Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said. "It also eliminates the possibility of us losing a mid-first-round draft pick in the next three to four years."

EDIT: I emphasized the date of the release above so no one would skim and think this was a current article.
[/font]

Last edited by a moderator: