Official Draft thread (merged)

Personal opionion: We keep Bibby and Miller. All the others are possibilities. I love Peja and would love to keep him, but if he does not sign an extension, he needs to be traded.

What position are we in the greatest need of drafting? I keep thinking that our biggest need is a stron inside presence (C,PF) but I do not think that we can get quailty at those spots at our draft order. Back-up shooting guard or small forward? I wish we knew what trades and/or FA signings BEFORE the draft!!!

--We were sidetracking by mixing trades and draft. Easy to do, but we do need to keep them separate or everything will get jumbled.

T

thesanityannex

i didnt realize this was the draft thread, but we were kind of talking of trading for a draft pick, does that count?

thesanityannex said:
i didnt realize this was the draft thread, but we were kind of talking of trading for a draft pick, does that count?
:confused: :eek: Good question. I don't know. VF????

It's too late here for me to try to figure it out!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point was that I didn't want this thread to go off in the direction of trade talks because we have a thread about trades. People are used to looking at the title of the thread to see if they want to read it. If the thread takes a left turn and ends up in a different direction, especially if it duplicates another thread, then you possibly lose some good discussion.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
chelle said:
I think we should get the best player available who BEST meets our NEEDS. If we get players simply because one day they may be a star, chances are, we will already be stacked at that position. That means they will sit on the bench and get little game time, but losts of practice time that will make them very good. Just when they begin to develop, their contract will be up. Since there is little loyalty on all sides (ownership, management, and players), they will sign for big bucks with another team. We develop and train them, then they leave. That is why I say, choose players that will help us the most now, not in a few years. If we were a lottery team, I would go with your suggestion. Since we are not, at least not yet, I say take the player that can have the biggest impact the quickest. The other option is to trade the pick. Picks in the 20's are risky at best. You do get lucky from time to time, but let's face it, luck is not one of our strong suits.
Well, roster need certainly is an important factor. If there isn't a real standout player available, than we should try to get a low-post player who can score and defend in the paint or a perimeter defender. But if there's a player available who has a real shot at being a special player, I think you've got to take him even if he doesn't exacty line up with your biggest needs right now.

And I think, when looking at needs, you should only count players you expect to keep around for the next 2-3 years. So on this team, you look at Bibby, Miller, Peja, and Evans I think as roles you've got filled. It'll be another year before we know how much of a role Kevin Martin can play on this team. You're going to need a backup PG in the near future, more depth at SG and SF, a backup center, and we've effectively got nobody at PF. Some of those needs are bigger than others, but a player at any of those spots should be able to contribute in the forseeable future and could become a key player in a couple years. It's a little simplistic to say that the team needs a PF right now and shouldn't look at anything else. Obviously that's a huge need, but if you can fill another need with a better player, that's a smarter move for the future of the team.

hrdboild, all you said is true. I just don't think that we can foresee a star player in bottom of the first round. There are always players that shock everybody, but as a general rule, they shock everbody because nobody expected it. I love it when it happens, but for everyone that emerges as a solid player, there are many more that flop.

I did not mean that we should simply look at one position and look only at that. We have MANY needs this summer, so we have many options. What I meant was if we have a choice between a player we know could have an impact within the next two season and a player who MAY develop into a good player in the future, we should take the one that could help us now. Picks in the 20's are not going to be full of Lebrons. That is why at least 19 others went before them. Now, if by some miracle, a STAR is overlooked, of course we take him!

Chris Taft

hey guys, on espn.insider:

How far could Chris Taft drop if he isn't selected by the Knicks at No. 8? He didn't impress Knicks exec Isiah Thomas in his first informal workout and there's word the Knicks may be looking at Frye at No. 8 instead.

If the Knicks pass on Taft, the Warriors might consider him at No. 9 and the Lakers could bite at No. 10. But if he gets by those three teams, he could be in a free fall. The Magic, Clippers, Bobcats and Timberwolves don't need or want him. The Nets could use him, but sources say that the Nets don't like him. The next team on the board that actually has a need for a guy like Taft is the Kings at No. 23.

Insider Mock Draft: (note the extra jab at Webber...not very nice)
Charlie Villanueva
CONNECTICUT | SOPHOMORE | POWER FORWARD
HEIGHT: 6-11 | WEIGHT: 240 | AGE: 20

Villanueva has the skills of a lottery pick and the heart of an NBDL all-star. He has all the skills to be a perfect replacement for Chris Webber on the Kings front line. But will Rick Adelman, or whoever is coaching the Kings, ever be able to trust him? For all of his skills, Villanueva has always been a "me first" player. Then again, maybe that's what makes him the perfect replacement for Webber.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Taft could well fall that much. Many of the top half teams need PG and SF and the other big guys are above Taft at this point. ESPN Insider scouting report said in part.....

"quick and agile athlete at 6-10 ... Has the strength that most athletic big man tend to lack ... Great instincts as a scorer and passer on the interior ... Does not press in the post, and limits himself to good shots ... A solid scorer with his back to the basket, with impressive footwork and execution ... Has a good face-up game ... A quality rebounder and shot-blocker, though not an exceptional one considering his physical ability ... A smart player, limits turnovers ... Has a NBA future...."

and he played 2 years in the Big East Conference. Sounds like a keeper to me.

CruzDude said:
Taft could well fall that much. Many of the top half teams need PG and SF and the other big guys are above Taft at this point. ESPN Insider scouting report said in part.....

"quick and agile athlete at 6-10 ... Has the strength that most athletic big man tend to lack ... Great instincts as a scorer and passer on the interior ... Does not press in the post, and limits himself to good shots ... A solid scorer with his back to the basket, with impressive footwork and execution ... Has a good face-up game ... A quality rebounder and shot-blocker, though not an exceptional one considering his physical ability ... A smart player, limits turnovers ... Has a NBA future...."

Well if he falls to #23 I wouldnt mind taking him but if charlie is still available itll be a hard choice.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Given the depth of the draft this year, and our clear needs, I would LOVE to have 2 or 3 first round picks this year, preferably a couple of them in the #8 to #15 range. Some big bodies with good potential out there, but nobody who's a sure thing. I'd love to be able to draft a couple of the big PFs and see which one worked out, and then maybe throw in a later pick to pick up a backup SF as well.

Sincerely doubt it happens of course, but we've got so much middling junk sitting around, who knows. Maybe we can find a team looking for a sure thing established player who will give their pick up in exchange.

Actually Sun Ming Ming he reminds me more of Muresan as well, who started to get pretty consistent before his back went crack BTW. Sun Ming Ming is very awkward in his movement but is absolutely monstrous. He is certainly no stick figure like Bradley.

if he drops i say we take Garcia from louisville, i loved him during the year especially in the tourney, except when he blew it versus Illinois. He is a little inconsistent but he works hard to get the ball and knows how to work the post and everyone knows we need that... but that is if he drops, other than that, trading up to get someone good would be a really good idea

CruzDude

Scratch Taft.... apparently

CruzDude said:

Well according to DraftCity.com you can scratch Taft based on this input from his New York and Golden State workouts:

After reportedly stinking up the entire city of New York with the workouts he held over the past two weeks, Chris Taft has decided to take his show on the road. The latest stop was at Golden State yesterday, for an intimate meeting with Ike Diogu. The results, according to a person that was in the gym, were not pretty to watch. Basically Diogu scored on Taft repeatedly...again and again and again, until things started to get embarrassing. On the opposite side of the ball, Diogu stopped Taft in his tracks repeatedly and just thoroughly handed it to him. Things got so bad and Taft got so down on himself (again, in the opinion of this eye witness) that people thought he would just quit the workout. That never happened, but it was supposedly close.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CruzDude said:
Well according to DraftCity.com you can scratch Taft based on this input from his New York and Golden State workouts:

After reportedly stinking up the entire city of New York with the workouts he held over the past two weeks, Chris Taft has decided to take his show on the road. The latest stop was at Golden State yesterday, for an intimate meeting with Ike Diogu. The results, according to a person that was in the gym, were not pretty to watch. Basically Diogu scored on Taft repeatedly...again and again and again, until things started to get embarrassing. On the opposite side of the ball, Diogu stopped Taft in his tracks repeatedly and just thoroughly handed it to him. Things got so bad and Taft got so down on himself (again, in the opinion of this eye witness) that people thought he would just quit the workout. That never happened, but it was supposedly close.
Well somebody has to take him, and that could actually make things interesting if he really starts to slip. You are the Sacramento Kings, you need a big physical PF, and this projected lottery pick has slipped all the way down into your wheelhouse at #23. Hmmm I say. Could work out really well for us, or could work out terribly if the workouts are exposing something, but either way it might be a hard player to pass up when you're drafting at a spot where you're lucky to find a guy who can even stick in the league.

CruzDude

Scanning thru the various draft web sites it appears that the Kings are not working out anyone or maybe only the few locals from last week. Wonder if they already know the 2-3 candidates who they will draft? Bound to be a Euro in there somewhere. But darned if any rumors or draft sites have anything on the Kings interests other than casual mentions. Guess down in the 23-30 range it is too variable.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So if you have a choice, do you take the 6'10" Taft or the 6'8" Diogu? I'd be shocked if Taft slips that low, but given the choice, I'd still take Diogu, especially after reading that little report.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CruzDude said:
Scanning thru the various draft web sites it appears that the Kings are not working out anyone or maybe only the few locals from last week. Wonder if they already know the 2-3 candidates who they will draft? Bound to be a Euro in there somewhere. But darned if any rumors or draft sites have anything on the Kings interests other than casual mentions. Guess down in the 23-30 range it is too variable.
Do they already know the candidates they will draft? Or - alternatively - do they already know they aren't going to have a draft pick available on June 28?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm..."

;)

I would rather trade our pick to San-Antonio to Robertas Javtokas rights, one of the best Lithuanian ,who can successfully replace Songaila with more atletism and rebounding skills.

CruzDude said:
It was pretty much the same thing last year. I think the Kings do a good job of keeping things quiet as well as being focused in on a small group of prospects. From everything I've heard, it seems like they do a ton of work well before the draft so that they know as much as possible before the 6-week rush to the draft where rumors start to fly and guy's see their stock change dramatically based off a few workouts. I think there are some teams that value the individual workouts more than the Kings do, while the Kings use those workouts to try and confirm what they already know.

Kev.in said:
http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/383782.html

Excellent interview with NC State's Julius Hodge. I'm starting to really like this guy. Hopefully his stock doesn't shoot up past our #23 pick. I think he'd be a nice guy to scoop up if there isn't a clear choice of a pf/c with toughness, shotblocking and rebounding skills available.
Exactly what we need but can he produce at our level and if so can he produce now? Hope so for whoever we draft. As long as we dont get a highschool kid that we have never heared of.