Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I was actually thinking about that. Both the Evans situation and now this Monta thing leaked way before they actually happened. However, McLemore and Landry were a surprise.
There had been rumblings about Landry but that one WAS the least leaked move thus far. But if you remember, word got out on draft day that the Kings were trying to trade up and that McLemore was the target.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yeah I was actually thinking about that. Both the Evans situation and now this Monta thing leaked way before they actually happened. However, McLemore and Landry were a surprise.
McLemore was a last min fluke, but before the draft the rumor got out that we might trade up for him. The Landry thing may have been too quick to leak. But yes leaks CAN be a useful tool, they can also be curse.

Monta only makes sense if Dally comes with him and JT/MT get shipped. A backcourt of Monta and Mac would be offensively potent that's for sure and our promising front court from years past would be making a return from dead.

New Kings Line-up:
PG - Vasquez/ I.T./ McCallum
SG - Ellis/ Thorton
SF - McLemore/ Salmons/ Outlaw
PF - Patterson/ Landry
C - Cousins/ Thompson

So much for defense :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just as a random side note - is anyone else surprised by how much info leaks from the new front office. Say what you want about Geoff, but the vast majority of his trades and acquisitions came as a complete surprise. In this new regime every move has been completely telegraphed. Obviously part of it is the arrival of social media but even still, there appear to be some loose lips in Kings land.
loose lips result from mouths hanging open in shock :p

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This is exactly the proof that they wont be done. This will probably be a long offseason and the quite possibly the only holdover from last year could be Cousins, which would be a huge statement going forward
No offense to you personally for trying to rationalize all of this, but if the team they put together for next season is Vasquez, Ellis, ?, Landry, Cousins then the huge statement is "we don't know what the hell we're doing".

I know the trend is to blame PDA for these moves, but so far this smells more like Vivek and Malone than anything else, especially in light of the Landry signing.

No offense to you personally for trying to rationalize all of this, but if the team they put together for next season is Vasquez, Ellis, ?, Landry, Cousins then the huge statement is "we don't know what the hell we're doing".
I dont necessarily disagree with you, but im just saying we dont actually know what the final product will be and may not for awhile. If this is what we have going into the season I am right there with you. I cant say I agree with whats going on, but the offseason is too long to get so worked up already. I want to see what they end up with, but thats just me. To each his own

I know the trend is to blame PDA for these moves, but so far this smells more like Vivek and Malone than anything else, especially in light of the Landry signing.
You know I wonder if we have some power struggles going on in the FO already. Malone is Vivek's guy, not PDA's. You already have the natural Malone/Vivek vs PDA thing going on. I wonder if our initial moves (appearing to want to keep Reke/trying to sign Iggy) were PDA's ideas but then Vivek came in and told him what to do. Would explain the Landry thing and now the Monta thing. Would also explain the strange Iggy move. Obviously still too early to tell, but would explain the listlessness of the FO so far this offseason.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 4m
Kings' contract talks with Bucks free agent guard Monta Ellis have been described as "aggressive," a source told Y! Sports.

I'm just saying, if their plan is to seriously tank, pairing a whole bunch of offensive players (in every sense of the word) with a defensive minded coach is definitely the first step.

If the FO turns out to really put B-Mac into the SF spot, then they really should have kept GP.

B-Mac is undersized for the 3 and way too skinny at this point. Imagine how badly he would get abused by Metta, LeBron, Melo, etc.

You don't draft a 2 with all star potential and then try to bring in a $12 mil a year chucker. If they play Monta at the point and Grevis as his back up, then we basically got a back up point guard out of Tyreke. The cap space that the sign and trade creates doesn't even count at that point because the FO basically wasted it on crappy signings.

Alonzo Gee coming along in the deal apparently. You all have the Kings app on your phone? That's where I read about Gee. Who knows anything about him?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yeah, and I don't know what the bigger problem is but it's a ****ing problem we appear to have a rookie GM who doesn't know what he's doing, and we have a rookie coach and rookie owner being allowed to make personnel decisions.

Vivek is a tech guy, not a basketball talent evaluator. Malone is a rookie head coach who hasn't coached a game yet. Is PDA allowing them to make personnel decisions? Exactly what kind of a FO dynamic do we have if we have PDA deciding Reke isn't worth 11M and he wants Vasquez instead, Malone wants Landry so PDA agrees and offers 27M, and Vivek likes Monta so PDA goes after him?

It's like we have a free for all in our FO, and that only happens if our GM has little pull, little confidence in himself and no apparent plan. I for one am getting pretty nervous about how hands on Vivek is. I'm more nervous PDA seems to be allowing others to make personnel decisions. It's not only PDA's judgement appears off, but it also appears he can't tell when the people around him also have poor judgement.

And it's ****ing insulting our new regime blindly assumes GS's sloppy seconds and leftovers are better than some of the talent we had. What is real apparent is they did little, if any research on our roster before beginning to make moves. Either incredibly arrogant or incredibly ignorant.

If the FO turns out to really put B-Mac into the SF spot, then they really should have kept GP.

B-Mac is undersized for the 3 and way too skinny at this point. Imagine how badly he would get abused by Metta, LeBron, Melo, etc.

You don't draft a 2 with all star potential and then try to bring in a $12 mil a year chucker. If they play Monta at the point and Grevis as his back up, then we basically got a back up point guard out of Tyreke. The cap space that the sign and trade creates doesn't even count at that point because the FO basically wasted it on crappy signings.
what is SF but the label.
We do not have SF, so we will just ignore the position and call it extended guard, problem solved :p

If your FO really don't want to leak what you are thinking, most of the time it can be avoid.
True, but you can't really control what the party on the other side of the table is going to do, and I get the impression that agents do much more of the leaking than front offices. That said, we now have a front office led by a former agent (or at least involved in player representation, don't remember the exact details) so maybe they want to play the media game, too, although I'm not sure how leaking intentions on some of these deals is ultimately productive.

Signing Ellis is gonna make it harder to accept Tyreke not being matched. Don't tell me "wellz Ellis/Vasquez/Landry > Evans". We could have gotten Vasquez and retaining Reke. The Pelicans were gonna push Vasquez to the end of their bench because of Jrue Holiday. He could have been had for peanuts. They could have gotten Landry even if they matched Evans. They essentially freed up cap space so they can try to sign Monta at 10-12 mil a year. And we still have a massive hole at the SF position and no shot blocking to speak of. BUT BUT WE ONLY WON 28 games last year. Get out of here with that. This team is transforming into everything we all hated. Nellie Ball is coming back aka sissy basketball.

Yeah, and I don't know what the bigger problem is but it's a ****ing problem we appear to have a rookie GM who doesn't know what he's doing, and we have a rookie coach and rookie owner being allowed to make personnel decisions.

Vivek is a tech guy, not a basketball talent evaluator. Malone is a rookie head coach who hasn't coached a game yet. Is PDA allowing them to make personnel decisions? Exactly what kind of a FO dynamic do we have if we have PDA deciding Reke isn't worth 11M and he wants Vasquez instead, Malone wants Landry so PDA agrees and offers 27M, and Vivek likes Monta so PDA goes after him?

It's like we have a free for all in our FO, and that only happens if our GM has little pull, little confidence in himself and no apparent plan. I for one am getting pretty nervous about how hands on Vivek is. I'm more nervous PDA seems to be allowing others to make personnel decisions. It's not only PDA's judgement appears off, but it also appears he can't tell when the people around him also have poor judgement.

And it's ****ing insulting our new regime blindly assumes GS's sloppy seconds and leftovers are better than some of the talent we had. What is real apparent is they did little, if any research on our roster before beginning to make moves. Either incredibly arrogant or incredibly ignorant.

That is what gets me as well. Vivek is trying too hard to make the Kings into his version of the Warriors. The Warriors aren't going to win anything with that team. Is he striving to be another middle of the pack team in the west and has to fight to make the playoffs every year and is bounced in the first round if they do?

Hey guys, look at the bright side. If we do get Ellis, at least three of our starters (Monta, DMC, Vasquez) will be in the leagues top ten for turnovers per game!

True, but you can't really control what the party on the other side of the table is going to do, and I get the impression that agents do much more of the leaking than front offices. That said, we now have a front office led by a former agent (or at least involved in player representation, don't remember the exact details) so maybe they want to play the media game, too, although I'm not sure how leaking intentions on some of these deals is ultimately productive.
I understand that part, thats why I said most of time, not every time.

But what I mean was the rumors of Vivek liking and wanting Ellis leaking the moment he finalized the deal to buy the Kings. That was before any FO position was filled. There are a lot of rumors regarding what FOs in general wants to do. A lot of those won't get out there if you really don't talk to people about them. Don't always show your cards is the point.

It's almost like Monta heard the rumors that Vivek wants him and thats why he opted out.

Alonzo Gee coming along in the deal apparently. You all have the Kings app on your phone? That's where I read about Gee. Who knows anything about him?
Athletic SF, that cuts to the basket and can run the floor. Made a step forward last season and played as a starter for the Cavs. Doesnt shoot very well from 3, but can hit corner 3s occasionally. Is a decent defender.
Strictly a role-player but you can play him as a starter and dont have to worry. He is solid...but it remains to be seen, if he is an upgrade to Salmons.

Just as a random side note - is anyone else surprised by how much info leaks from the new front office. Say what you want about Geoff, but the vast majority of his trades and acquisitions came as a complete surprise. In this new regime every move has been completely telegraphed. Obviously part of it is the arrival of social media but even still, there appear to be some loose lips in Kings land.
dunno, McLemore, to me, came out of left field. there were rumblings on draft day, but no indications of interest in him before. the Tyreke situation was determined by the Pelicans making the offer, so it wasn't really possible to be hush about it. Landry was an absolute shock. first word of Calderon being a person of interest was him saying no. I actually think they've been pretty secretive so far, as all the players were there was reported interest like Shabazz, McCollum or Iggy never materialised (I've got my own theories about that Iggy thing, but whatever). edit: obvious "HELL NO!" on Ellis. still refuse to take that seriously until it happens. should it happen it might very well be grounds for divorce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.