Miscellaneous Breaking Draft News

Ha, it's like Christmas for me too. At this point I could probably tell you in detail the strengths and weaknesses of all the guys projected to go in the first round. I love it. There hasn't been excitement like this surrounding the draft in years, at least not for us Kings fans.

What makes the whole thing even better is that I don't hate any of the guys we supposedly like. I'm a big fan of Rubio, Evans and Flynn. All have weaknesses, though. I wouldn't even be completely against guys like Curry, Hill and Harden. Unfortunately, I'll be forced to watch the whole thing over a crappy internet stream that stops every few seconds. :(
Ha. Then it's a contest to see who can stay up the longest :D I agree though, I do like a lot of the guys, especially since I trust Petrie's draft prowess. I would love Rubio, Evans, Curry or Flynn, or even Harden at 4 setting aside our current roster needs. I'd love Teague, Casspi, Young, Calethes, Maynor or Daye of the guys who might be there at 23. And at 31 - thgere's way too many possiblities, but am excited our 2nd round pick could be a potential impact player as opposed to a late second round long shot. This draft is so deep and unpredictable. I have never been this up in the air about who could go where in the 10-15 years I have been following the draft this meticulously.

Sorry about the internet connection though. I had to watch the draft from work one year too. Used to go to Arco every year when I lived in Sac. This year, I am especially fortunate, I am starting a new job next Monday, so I got this week off. Hence, I can be up at nearly 5 and it doesn't matter. Am actually having a big draft party with some friends who are fans of all different teams (Kings, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Spurs) tomorrow so it should be an action packed evening.

Ha. Then it's a contest to see who can stay up the longest :D I agree though, I do like a lot of the guys, especially since I trust Petrie's draft prowess. I would love Rubio, Evans, Curry or Flynn, or even Harden at 4 setting aside our current roster needs. I'd love Teague, Casspi, Young, Calethes, Maynor or Daye of the guys who might be there at 23. And at 31 - thgere's way too many possiblities, but am excited our 2nd round pick could be a potential impact player as opposed to a late second round long shot. This draft is so deep and unpredictable. I have never been this up in the air about who could go where in the 10-15 years I have been following the draft this meticulously.

Sorry about the internet connection though. I had to watch the draft from work one year too. Used to go to Arco every year when I lived in Sac. This year, I am especially fortunate, I am starting a new job next Monday, so I got this week off. Hence, I can be up at nearly 5 and it doesn't matter. Am actually having a big draft party with some friends who are fans of all different teams (Kings, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Spurs) tomorrow so it should be an action packed evening.

If you want to challenge me to see who can stay up the longest - feel free. I'm from Europe, it's 12.45 in the afternoon here! And considering the draft is on tonight, I'll be up for about another 18 hours! :p

Enjoy your draft party, sounds like fun. :)

Don't stay up too late or you may miss the draft altogether. :p

Hey, Dime Dropper what Internet Stream would that be? Do you have a link? Thx.

Don't stay up too late or you may miss the draft altogether. :p

Hey, Dime Dropper what Internet Stream would that be? Do you have a link? Thx.

Streams and all that jazz are not permitted on this site. I will send you a PM, but it's better in the future not to mention them on the boards. Can have some consequences for the site. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If there is truth to this, I think it has to do with the fact that Rubio isn't really a Petrie-type player. People tend to go overboard with the extent to which Petrie favors shooters, but at the very least he tends to favor well-rounded players. Shooting and scoring is a pretty glaring hole in Rubio's game.

Petrie might still pick him and this may well be a smokescreen, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to end up with Evans/Flynn/Curry on draft night either. Those guys are the well-rounded players you would expect Petrie to gravitate towards.
I really think that it might be different this time. If I thought Petrie was going to do the same 'ol thing, I think he'd pick Curry (gag me) because his #1 ability is shooting the ball. But when I've listened to Petrie, he doesn't even mention shooting. He knows that this team lacks defense, physicality, length, rebounding, creativity, penetration ability. He's got to get some of that in order to give this team a chance of winning in the future. What player most fits those criteria? Evans. Rubio fits some (creativity, length), and Flynn (he could be good on D eventually, and he definitely can penetrate the ball).

I really think that it might be different this time. If I thought Petrie was going to do the same 'ol thing, I think he'd pick Curry (gag me) because his #1 ability is shooting the ball. But when I've listened to Petrie, he doesn't even mention shooting. He knows that this team lacks defense, physicality, length, rebounding, creativity, penetration ability. He's got to get some of that in order to give this team a chance of winning in the future. What player most fits those criteria? Evans. Rubio fits some (creativity, length), and Flynn (he could be good on D eventually, and he definitely can penetrate the ball).
I agree. When it comes to well-rounded play, Evans seems to fit the bill, and I personally think he's the most likely player for the Kings to draft. We'll see though.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I agree. When it comes to well-rounded play, Evans seems to fit the bill, and I personally think he's the most likely player for the Kings to draft. We'll see though.
Agreed, especially after the rave reviews in the workouts.

After all the discussions, I'm going to go out on a limb. No matter how this draft goes for the Kings.....

some Kings fans will be ticked off. :p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Except Evans should be able to finish in traffic much better than Christie did. Christie was always inconsistent when he got to the rack. Evans definitely has a lot of potential. He is one of the few players from this draft with star potential.
Agreed. Evans is MUCH better offensively than Christie.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So is JT, but I don't think he'll ever be a PG.

I wish our roster weren't so screwed up, then we could just take BPA and not worry about it. But we're short a PF/C and need a starting PG. Our solid vets at this point are our starting SF, starting SG and backup SG. And we have a backup SF who may work out. We really have no need for any more SFs or SGs. But for each really talented C or PG, there are a ton of SGs and SFs. If you look at the best SGs and SFs who go undrafted, you'll see some pretty decent players. If you look at the Cs who go undrafted, most of them will either be small, and others will be very unathletic, or otherwise mediocre basketball players. And the undrafted PGs will be pretty bad, too.

The unfortunate upshot of this situation is that you have to use different standards for different positions. If you don't, BPA will almost always be a SG or SF. Look at how Geoff drafted for ages... between 1995 and 2006 (inclusive), we drafted 9 guys. The only one which didn't play SF or SG was JWill. Some of you are thinking it's weird that we're maybe interested in a pure PG, but it's partly because we've only drafted one since 1993. Since Duane Causwell, we've drafted only 2 PFs and one C. Some of us are pretty sick of that. Need is not a non-factor in the draft, at all. If it were, guys like Jeff Foster would never get drafted.

You can probably see where I'm going with this.
I think Petrie will take the best player available. But we're assuming that one player is clear cut better than another. If there isn't much difference, Petrie is going take the player that we need.

Agreed, especially after the rave reviews in the workouts.

But he still can hit a 3pt shot.. I know though that Petrie drafted St.Jean and he had troubles with it too and was still drafted.. Was funny watching St.Jean shoot.. Such a nice shot but always had a funky spin on it that would make it miss after looking like it was going to go in.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You know, in this draft, I don't even care anymore. You can put the names in a hat and draw them out and have about the same chance of picking the right player. Whether it's Rubio or Evans or Flynn or Holiday or Jennings or Curry or someone else, we're going to be getting a damn good player regardless. How good is anyone;s guess. And it's pretty much guaranteed that someone is going to go 4 or 5 picks after us and become an All-Star. Some team is going to get lucky here and I don't think anyone really knows who. So whatever happens I'm looking forward to finally ending the suspense and seeing one of those guys in a Kings jersey next year.

anyone getting a headache thinking about it? I just got brain drained so I think Ill put my brain on park right now. News10 has the our pick being called at about 4:15 pm, is this a typo on their part? is it at around 5:15? Just an off question here.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The draft officially starts at 4pm PST. So the earliest we would be picking is 4:20 I believe, but I don't know when they actually start the clock.

According to news10.net the the Kings should be picking at approximately 4:20 sacramento time. PST. 1 hour 20 mins from the time of this post.

According to news10.net the the Kings should be picking at approximately 4:20 sacramento time. PST. 1 hour 20 mins from the time of this post.
Masterful strategy by Petrie. We may have only drawn #4 in the lottery, so we cut everybody off at the knees by picking BEFORE the draft actually starts! ;)

Not sure how reliable this is, but draftexpress just said that word in the green room is that OKC is taking Harden.
It's been kind of strange, for a guy who seems to be a top-5 lock, how little Harden has been talked about recently in connection with with any specific team.