[Game] Kings vs. Thunder [Vegas Summer League] 7/13/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern (NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mods, you can delete this if I'm too out of line for being a delusional fan that's crowning Keegan the next great prodigy/Michael Jordan.

And yes, I'm obviously comparing Keegan to Damian Lillard by posting this, I'll save a few of you the reply post.
I mean...You certainly might be "delusional" :p:p:p, but I hope you're not "too out of line", and that Keegan eventually becomes to us what Dame was to Portland (I am not going to expect him to be what Jordan was to Chicago, because that might be a bit too much to ask for at this very moment).

I am not saying that Keegan CAN'T become that player. All I am saying is that I am not going to expect him to become that player just yet. If he shows me mad potential in his first few seasons, then we can certainly revisit this discussion.

Last edited:
I’m very excited about Murray. He’s not just a great immediate fit for the Kings but I actually view him as a great long term prospect too. None of his “weaknesses” are glaring to me and I actually see him having good defensive potential. He’s already a guy who can make a lot of big defensive plays.

but so far, most of the criticism I see of him is basically that he isn’t great at everything…but he’s not particularly bad at anything in my view. All of his weaknesses have light at the end of the tunnel. Also, a lot his percieved weaknesses are things that won’t be particularly relevant on the main roster as they are as the main option on a college team and one of the only good guys on a summer league team…like his ball handling. In my view, he can handle it a little bit and a little bit may be all the Kings need from him for a few years.

Maybe he doesn’t project as a franchise player..but people talking like being a 3rd option on what is hopefully a winning team in the future isn’t worth a top 10 pick. More than half of the top 10 will bust or be modest rotation players. If you can get a perennial 35 minute a game starter, that is a winner, and a legit “third option” ..you should probably be more happy with the pick unless a surefire superstar was passed on. I’m not seeing that here. Not like Bagley who could’ve been an all star and a great fit bit likely still wouldn’t make up for taking him over Luka. I think the Murray will prove to be a perfect pick for the Kings at 4. He may even turn out to be a steal.
Good take. It's seems you're being measured in your discussion of Keegan and I don't think you need to. There are some really good things to take away from his summer league stint and we don't have to be afraid to praise him.

I'm a firm believer that a team takes on the character of it's strongest or most respected personality. This SL team has taken on Keegan's (and possibly Jordi Fernandez) personality and he's undeniably their leader. I was wrong in thinking that Keegan would be passive and maybe Summer League wouldn't show his best side.

After watching him be the best player in Summer League, there is no reason to put limitations on his NBA career. At this point, the circumstances and environment will dictate what he will become. Not the limitations that fans place on him.

Last edited:
Ferrari should have gotten more credit for the defensive turnovers at the end. He did a fantastic job of double teaming and causing multiple turnovers in the final minutes there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ferrari should have gotten more credit for the defensive turnovers at the end. He did a fantastic job of double teaming and causing multiple turnovers in the final minutes there.
Perhaps. It's just very frustrating that he can't seem to hit the shots that he takes and always seems to find the guy not wearing #13.

Good take. It's seems you're being measured in your discussion of Keegan and I don't think you need to. There are some really good things to take away from his summer league stint and we don't have to be afraid to praise him.

I'm a firm believer that a team takes on the character of it's strongest or most respected personality. This SL team has taken on Keegan's (and possibly Jordi Fernandez) personality and he's undeniably their leader. I was wrong in thinking that Keegan would be passive and maybe Summer League wouldn't show his best side.

After watching him be the best player in Summer League, there is no reason to put limitations on his NBA career. At this point, the circumstances and environment will dictate what he will become. Not the limitations that fans place on him.
Giddey and Banchero were shut down for a reason.

With the way some people are talking about Murray, you would've thought he had a terrible SL showing... except, the reality is the exact opposite. He was the best player in the SL. I really have no clue what more the critics could've asked of him.

As someone who had Murray 7th/8th on my big board, and had a hard time buying into his game, he's got me on board now. He looked special out there in SL. The way he can move without the ball, scoring instincts, patience, etc. He's got all of the intangibles.

Listen to some of his interviews. I don't know how you can hate on a guy like that. His maturity on and off the court will go a long way. This isn't a Marvin-Luka situation. The same people who praise Ivey's limited showing in SL are the same ones saying Keegan hasn't proven anything against NBA guys (so it doesn't count). Can't have it both ways... o_O
This. A million times. Their favorite reporter is probably Jason Jones. But even Jones has been positive the last 2 weeks lol

You don't pick purely off of physical potential and you don't trade someone who's shown elite off-ball shooting potential who fits perfectly with the team you're building and is on a cheap rookie scale deal for the next four seasons for a guy who hasn't shown much (if any) of that and is about to make 180 million dollars. Not sure what's hard to grasp about that.
Purely? So Ivey showed no acual skill just potential? You must get likes strictly because you've been posting a long time. Again it'd summer league you take a proven allstar over a rookie anyway. You should have learned that with Hali and Sabonis trade.

Giddey is a second year player who’s logged hella minutes last year and showed very well in the NBA during the regular season haha. Banchero was shut down after shooting 30% from the field and a game where he should have had double digit turnovers haha. Come on now man, not only do you move the goalposts every other message but you’re now comparing apples to pine cones in an attempt to justify your past messages. We get it, you have your reservations and don’t like others excitement for a team that’s had very few excitable things in over a decade.

And why was that? What’s the purpose of summer league anyhow? Are we moving to a point where top picks don’t even play in summer league going forward? I get sitting Giddey, and I guess I get the injury concern to some degree…. But at what point do we just start bubble wrapping players during the off season.

To me, it feels like some teams treat summer league as some sort to test for top picks. Once they pass the test and prove they were justified as a top pick, they sit. However, it certainly seems to me that playing all the games help with a players transition to the NBA. It’s a nice jump start for them to get their feet wet, see the types of things they need to work on before training camp, etc. I thought Banchero was impressive, but didn’t watch him thinking he had obviously “graduated” from summer league.

Question kb02, what kind of search caused you to settle on Kuzma as a comparison??? Is there some Summer League database that you scoured for this:) I was thinking of a rich mans Sean Elliot is a good comparison:)
That dude went on the ignore list a long while ago. But if he seriously made THAT comparison, his bb knowledge and takes are even worse than they used to be. And that’s saying a lot.

Nothing Keegan Murray has shown in SL looks remotely like Kyle freaking Kuzma. That‘s asinine.

More like “Big Shot Rob” ;)

Last edited:
Smh forget it. Murray is the Goat. Sorry for questioning his greatness. I like the kid, hope he does everything you guys say he's going to do and more. We are all on the same team here.

Hope he's a day 1 starter and kings don't slow boat him like they do all our other rookies. Here's to King Murray

Smh forget it. Murray is the Goat. Sorry for questioning his greatness. I like the kid, hope he does everything you guys say he's going to do and more. We are all on the same team here.

Hope he's a day 1 starter and kings don't slow boat him like they do all our other rookies. Here's to King Murray
More logical fallacies. No one ever said he was the goat. People are upset at the double standard that has been set. Its been said, on this board, that they could tell if a guy is good or not based on his Summer League performance; hell, some have said they knew Bagley wouldn't cut it based on his poor showing. And yet the opposite isn't true for these people. Murray was, without a doubt, the best player in Summer League, but for them that's only to be expected, the bare minimum.

We know he has weaknesses, they have been stated numerous times. But it's OK to be excited by what he has shown; I can't recall the last Kings player, if any, that has dominated the Summer League to this level while making it look effortless.

So I came in late but from reading everything and catching up there seems to be two sides.

Side 1, excited about what we’ve seen from Murray up to this point and see a future positive impact player for a team desperate for such. No mention of super star or future HOF. Just excitement about a rookies future and not wanting to bail on em already in a completely unrealistic, entirely hypothetical trade made up by some random Knicks fan on Twitter. This side also includes some people who may have initially had Murray ranked behind some other players but are now seeing Murray on the court and are coming away impressed and with a much better feeling about the kings choice.

Side 2, through the use of extreme hyperbole use some straw man argument that fans excitement seems to equal belief he is the GOAT and the next MJ and continuously move the goal posts when trying to detract from the excitement Murray has created through this point of SL.

I think I’m caught up now.

And why was that? What’s the purpose of summer league anyhow? Are we moving to a point where top picks don’t even play in summer league going forward? I get sitting Giddey, and I guess I get the injury concern to some degree…. But at what point do we just start bubble wrapping players during the off season.

To me, it feels like some teams treat summer league as some sort to test for top picks. Once they pass the test and prove they were justified as a top pick, they sit. However, it certainly seems to me that playing all the games help with a players transition to the NBA. It’s a nice jump start for them to get their feet wet, see the types of things they need to work on before training camp, etc. I thought Banchero was impressive, but didn’t watch him thinking he had obviously “graduated” from summer league.
Giddey didn't belong in SL.

Banchero was head and shoulders above his competition. If he's not gaining much from SL, what's the point of playing him and risking injury? Just let him focus on the practice runs with the starters.

Giddey is a second year player who’s logged hella minutes last year and showed very well in the NBA during the regular season haha. Banchero was shut down after shooting 30% from the field and a game where he should have had double digit turnovers haha. Come on now man, not only do you move the goalposts every other message but you’re now comparing apples to pine cones in an attempt to justify your past messages. We get it, you have your reservations and don’t like others excitement for a team that’s had very few excitable things in over a decade.
Your takeaway from that Banchero vs. Murray match up is hahaha Banchero was shut down after a 30% shooting and near ten turnover game? Banchero was a clear level above Murray. Bigger, more athletic, and more skill. Only advantage Murray has over Banchero is his shooting. Barring injury, Banchero is the ROTY.

And, yes, Giddey is a second year player, who is still 2 or so years younger than Murray. Giddey didn't belong in SL. That's obvious. But to say Murray was the best player in SL means you're (not you, the OG poster above) overlooking players like Banchero and Giddey.

Your takeaway from that Banchero vs. Murray match up is hahaha Banchero was shut down after a 30% shooting and near ten turnover game? Banchero was a clear level above Murray. Bigger, more athletic, and more skill. Only advantage Murray has over Banchero is his shooting. Barring injury, Banchero is the ROTY.

And, yes, Giddey is a second year player, who is still 2 or so years younger than Murray. Giddey didn't belong in SL. That's obvious. But to say Murray was the best player in SL means you're (not you, the OG poster above) overlooking players like Banchero and Giddey.
I have no gripes whatsoever with people liking what Banchero showed and the potential/talent he has. He did look very good for lengths of time and at different moments. He also looked like a rookie with poor shot attempts, forcing things often and careless with the basketball when he had no clear decision made on drives. We saw that multiple times throughout the Kings vs Magic game. Does Banchero look like a player? 100%, no one hear is disputing that. I’m not sure what Giddey’s age has to do with anything either. Your post was referencing the fact that both Giddey and Banchero were no longer playing in SL games as if that holds any relevance whatsoever to Murray’s performances up to this point. Stating that a top 10 pick, second year player after a full NBA season with meaningful minutes looked to too good for SL is rather obvious, but then using it as a detractor from Murray as if he should be held to the same standards is…well, it’s definitely a take. The Kings and Magic organizations aren’t on the same trajectory nor do they have the same goals in mind headed into this season, as you said risking injury to Banchero in meaningless games doesn’t make much sense. But again, holding what the Magic are doing with their rookie against Murray is just weird.

So I came in late but from reading everything and catching up there seems to be two sides.

Side 1, excited about what we’ve seen from Murray up to this point and see a future positive impact player for a team desperate for such. No mention of super star or future HOF. Just excitement about a rookies future and not wanting to bail on em already in a completely unrealistic, entirely hypothetical trade made up by some random Knicks fan on Twitter. This side also includes some people who may have initially had Murray ranked behind some other players but are now seeing Murray on the court and are coming away impressed and with a much better feeling about the kings choice.

Side 2, through the use of extreme hyperbole use some straw man argument that fans excitement seems to equal belief he is the GOAT and the next MJ and continuously move the goal posts when trying to detract from the excitement Murray has created through this point of SL.

I think I’m caught up now.
Guess you missed the Lillard comparison earlier lol.

And BJ trade was only brought up after someone suggested it was foolish to even put BJ in same league as Murray.

I don't think once I've bashed rook. In fact I'm pleasantly surprised.

If he comes close to Hali as far as potential we have a winner, but I'm not sure why people are so disgusted with the thought of trading someone when we litterslly just traded a promising young talent on a rookie deal less than 6 months ago

Just leave it before you get Stoned!

Status
Not open for further replies.