[Game] Kings vs. Thunder [Vegas Summer League] 7/13/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern (NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The danger of scheduling your Summer League trip before the games are scheduled is that sometimes you're in transit during the best game.

Oh, well, I'll tape it.

(OK, Kings/Magic was pretty good...)

Queta vs Chet will be real fun. Queta probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) dude in SL and Chet is the most perimeter-oriented big in SL. Great test for both guys to see how they match up with a potential weakness in their game.
Another good test for Chet in that Queta is huge at 7'0" and 250lbs, with a giant wingspan at 7'4", dude has an NBA body. But he is also absurdly nimble for a guy his size, it's been pretty crazy seeing him hold his own on smaller guys.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Another good test for Chet in that Queta is huge at 7'0" and 250lbs, with a giant wingspan at 7'4", dude has an NBA body. But he is also absurdly nimble for a guy his size, it's been pretty crazy seeing him hold his own on smaller guys.
This is the matchup I most want to see. Arguably, it shouldn't be close, but I want to see how NQ holds up vs. an "elite" prospect.

This is the matchup I most want to see. Arguably, it shouldn't be close, but I want to see how NQ holds up vs. an "elite" prospect.
Yeah, I am exited to see this matchup. I think Queta can hold his own. He may not be as tall/long, but he is bulky and I believe he's faster, or at least as fast. This should be interesting.

The other 2 guys we care about are having themselves a serious SL as well. And Keon at the very least is proving he should have been a 2nd round pick.

Make them your feature options in the G-League and get them ready for rotation spots the next season when half our team is leaving.
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Kings had already talked to Keon Ellis about signing him if undrafted. So when Dallas came calling and offered 2 second round picks for 37, they jumped at it. Personally, I had Ellis higher than Hardy on my board (loved his defense).

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Kings had already talked to Keon Ellis about signing him if undrafted. So when Dallas came calling and offered 2 second round picks for 37, they jumped at it. Personally, I had Ellis higher than Hardy on my board (loved his defense).
Yeah, seems to be the case. I know some 2nd round guys ask teams to just let them fall to UDFA so they have more freedom of where they go. I'd be surprised if we dealt 37 to Dallas and 49 for Vezenkov/cash if we weren't sure that we'd get Keon in UDFA. I'd still vastly prefer like 6 or 7 guys that were available at 37 over the 2 late 2nd rounders, especially when we have roster room available. But it does change the perception of that deal a bit if we 100% knew we'd get Keon in UDFA. Absolutely no one would have cared if he was the pick at 37 and probably would have been super pleased with it.

The other 2 guys we care about are having themselves a serious SL as well. And Keon at the very least is proving he should have been a 2nd round pick.

Make them your feature options in the G-League and get them ready for rotation spots the next season when half our team is leaving.
Loving the shooting numbers from Ellis so far. Especially after that horrible first game where it looked like he had never touched a basketball prior to that game.

I don't expect his 2pt% to ever be very high but if he can keep his 3pt% in the high 30s, he's going to have a shot in the league.

Loving the shooting numbers from Ellis so far. Especially after that horrible first game where it looked like he had never touched a basketball prior to that game.

I don't expect his 2pt% to ever be very high but if he can keep his 3pt% in the high 30s, he's going to have a shot in the league.
Yeah and I think his on-ball game is a little better than expected too. Still not anywhere close to good, but I have more faith he can at least get it to a passable level for a 3&D prospect. He hasn't made many of them, but that Euro step in transition move looks pretty good. Just has to start going in.

Yeah, seems to be the case. I know some 2nd round guys ask teams to just let them fall to UDFA so they have more freedom of where they go. I'd be surprised if we dealt 37 to Dallas and 49 for Vezenkov/cash if we weren't sure that we'd get Keon in UDFA. I'd still vastly prefer like 6 or 7 guys that were available at 37 over the 2 late 2nd rounders, especially when we have roster room available. But it does change the perception of that deal a bit if we 100% knew we'd get Keon in UDFA. Absolutely no one would have cared if he was the pick at 37 and probably would have been super pleased with it.
yeah would have liked to see us use the pick to take a swing at Kendall Brown and see if he develops as a 3 and D wing.

I don't know why the Kings wouldn't play Keegan, do they not want a shot at that ring? Or are they effectively already eliminated? I would think 2 losses probably does them in so this game is win or lose.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I don't know why the Kings wouldn't play Keegan, do they not want a shot at that ring? Or are they effectively already eliminated? I would think 2 losses probably does them in so this game is win or lose.
Well if you remember back to the summer league of yesteryear, it was really pretty much about trying out talent. So from game to game you never knew if it was going to be about trying out three or four kids that probably would not make the roster to verify that they sucked or only playing the guys that had a legit chance of playing and seeing how they could run plays. Admittedly that has changed significantly since the advent of the tournament.

Last edited:
I get your point, but I'd much rather save Keegan for the shot at the OTHER ring, as opposed to play him to go after the one that really means nothing at the end of the day. No one will ever remember the Sacramento Kings as being the team that won multiple Summer League titles. But everyone would remember us if we win multiple Larry O'Brien trophies...

Anybody putting down money on Summer League games needs to look themselves in the mirror and admit they have a problem . . .
Also I think your missing the point I just said Vegas seems to do these odds because they know things,I for one hope they are wrong and hope keeg plays

I get your point, but I'd much rather save Keegan for the shot at the OTHER ring, as opposed to play him to go after the one that really means nothing at the end of the day. No one will ever remember the Sacramento Kings as being the team that won multiple Summer League titles. But everyone would remember us if we win multiple Larry O'Brien trophies...
Mark Jones will as he seems to mention we are defending Champs ever 30 minutes. Even as a Kings fan it gets annoying. lol

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really buddy my money and I spend it how I want,I enjoy gambling,it gambling in season or out what's the difference you tell me
That was a joke.

I don't actually care if you're betting or not. Last time I was in Vegas I had fun and killed time but putting small bets on whatever games/events were going on and then just hanging out and watching the big TVs.

That's true, but I would rather him get actual game time than play pick up games that will likely be just as intense. The more prep for the NBA game for him the better. Especially if he's potentially going to be a starter.

Looking forward to Keegan getting defended by Jalen Williams or Chet. Both are going to be elite defenders. Man, I love Williams' game.

If you're betting on SL, I'd play the 1Q under for every single game. Bet on inefficient offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.