[Game] Kings vs. Grizzlies 10/27/2022 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn’t be a true KINGS team if the defense didn’t allow everyone score nearly at will.

New coach, new players, new strategies, same defensive result as always.

It doesn’t help that the NBA is nearly unwatchable with every team playing the same exact way quick shooting and taking awful shots,

Well, it would be pretty tough for him to do so anyway after the Huerter trade. That's why this is kind of it for now, they have to win or else. If this did happen to go into another direction the cycle starts over again. A new GM with a freshly signed holdover coach. From day 1 they've done this all backwards. No pressure here folks, not at all! hahaha. This is up to coach Brown the players now.
I mean, this is on Brown right now. Monte gave him enough talent to be a 37-42 win team this year. And frankly, we have a giant portion of our rotation drastically underperforming their talent basis. That's not on Monte, that's on Brown to get the most out of his guys. He's supposed to be a massive upgrade on Walton and so far he hasn't shown any handle at all on how to structure his rotation. You can maybe survive it 10 games in, but certainly not 2 months from now.

It's not full panic until 15-20 games in, but man tonight's rotations were rough. He understands urgency, which is a nice change, but I don't agree with the fact that he's throwing out the off-season plan game 4. Metu first sub off the bench? 12 guys playing? 5-man units that almost certainly had very little to no PT in training camp or preseason? KZ falling out of the rotation 2 games in after being the preseason/off-season darling? Woof.

What needs to happen is a sharp 9-man rotation; 5 starters, Davion, Monk, Holmes, TD. KZ/Moneke rotate in for defensive purposes. Play your top 9 guys and see what happens. Let them build chemistry and let rotations start to iron out the problems that mostly stem from a lack of on-court time together. That was honestly the biggest difference tonight; I didn't see a huge talent gap, I saw a team that knows how to play together and a team that doesn't

Last edited:
I don't think Sabonis wants to be here imo, Fox and Murray were really good, the Kings need to make some moves Fox and Ox pick n roll has been non existent and Sabonis is in foul trouble or getting outsized most of the first 4 games.

Last edited:
The first game I watched one half of kayte and whats his name. Since then I've watched the opposing teams broadcast. Can't do the kings broadcast again cause they are unlistenable.
I watch most games on mute, other than interviews. I recommend everyone try it
Back even before this failed experiment began it was quite unpopular here at KF to suggest that Kayte wasn’t a good fit for the PbP or commentator roles. It was true then and as far as I’m concerned it’s been proven true over the duration she’s held the job.

I don’t even find her to be especially good at the sideline gig, but listening to her drone on and on as if she knows anything was a lot more tolerable when it was in short bursts and only a few times per game.

My wife hates listening to her even more than I do.

To be fair, I don’t think think anyone on the broadcast crew is all that enjoyable to listen to.

Little chance she’d have landed a job like this for a more established and successful franchise. Only the likes of Vivek would do it.

The same guy that championed for Stauskas, McLemore, Bagley, etc. The same guy that hired Vlade and Peja and keeps Matina around. The same guy that allowed Michael Malone to be fired. The same guy that allegedly brought the idea of cherry-picking to his staff because it brought his daughter‘s youth team a championship. The same guy that hired his daughter to be assistant GM of the G-League team which will assuredly one day lead to the same or similar role with the KINGS.

Considering all the above, it makes complete sense that the owner completely lacking a proven track record for making good decisions would bring someone like Kayte into a role they didn’t deserve or fit. Par for the course.

At this point I’m thoroughly convinced the KINGS NBA existence on the court and extending through the front office and down to the media/broadcast personnel will forever be a train wreck until the cancer of Vivek is removed.

Someone tell “Greg” that the KINGS surrendering 125 points is why they lost. Not because some role players didn’t score much.

When the defense is giving up 120.3 points per game and the average point differential is always net negative — it means you’ll lose more often than win.

Some people are always focused on the wrong things. Greg would probably be a great fit within the KINGS org. Where brilliant minds clearly reside.

why did the scheduling gods have to be so cruel. 3-9 really is a best case at this point to open the season and I feel like these guys are improved over last year and at least deserve something positive to be said :(
MIA at home next then a 4-game east coast roadie — I’m thinking an 0-9 start is in the cards.

It surely will be if this team continues to not stop anybody.

im still not discouraged much after just 4 games but is there a reason Sabonis shot 6 times tonight? He needs to shoot more and get to the line. We did not trade for him so he could be this quarterback that just does nifty behind the back moves and dribble handoffs every now and again. Wtf is this about??

I hate to be right sometimes - it was a 15 points loss and sadly I predict even worse start of season, as coach is not in control of team and can not get best from each player.
Kate mentioned that the Memphis coach liked the connectivity of its current players. This Kings team lacks connectivity on both sides of the ball. Monte added defense, length n toughness (holiday, DDV, Harkless) last yr, but ditched that for shooting (Huerter, monk, Murray). Whike the new players are certainly better than the old Players and the shooting is certainly better, the defense looks about as bad as it has always been (ie, near historic worse levels) despite a coach, who actually focuses on defense. Shaka going to shake if this team has less than 6 wins by the 15 game mark.

the core of the team seems solid to me..

it's more of an issue of we've got 3rd stringers playing the role of 2nd stringers... and even Richaun Holmes who gets paid like a backup fits that bill..

Just because the depth is better than last year, doesnt mean its quality depth league wide. I think this is the honeytrap many were lured in around here by.

Furthermore, the issue quickly becomes; Is it really worth blowing up the bench, paying forward assets, on the cusp of one of the biggest frontloaded drafts in recent memory, when the kings are already faceplanting... which i'd er towards NO..

Entity

Hall of Famer
brown is subbing guys out if their defense is lacking. This process is also making our offense suffer when he does this and the guy coming in isn't playing much better defense than the guy he replaced.. I saw Murray score 8 pts in 4 possessions last night and then get subbed out after his second made 3 in that timeframe

Brown will be here till the end of the season even if they go 0-82. And honestly I think that's the right thing to do.

Let's see how he fixes this...
I think it's pretty obvious that Shaka does not subscribe to a traditional NBA model--everyone reports to him, he likes competing voices, so why is there a need to have the GM and head coach roles operate as a vertical rather than a horizontal structure? And I also think it's pretty much a given that Brown signed on knowing Monte's contract was not renewed. So Brown staying the full year? 100%. Monte? Shaka going to shake if this team doesn't start winning.

My impression is the rotation needs to be tighter. Play the core 8 or 9 guys the majority of the minutes. Bring in defenders on a case by case basis as needed due to foul trouble or someone on the other team going off who needs some hard defense.

IMO the game is still being called like a Globetrotters game vs The Generals by some of the NBA Refs. And yes Sports Fans, Da Kings are the Generals.:(

Last edited:
I have nothing against the current Kings announcers.

I do miss Grant and Jerry.

I don't let political drama or butt hurt people sway my opinion of Grant. Grant in my opinion was a very good play by play man.

Jerry has run his course and earned his retirement, but in his day he was great. My favorite color announcer of those I have listened to.

What happened to Richaun Holmes? He's been playing at Mateen levels ever since that eye injury.

Does the Kings defense really suck this bad or are certain players just randomly able to shoot 80% against us, no matter what the difficulty level is on their shots?

Also counted 7 points the refs spotted the Grizz. Two missed calls on out of bounds plays that went for 5 points and then pretending like Keegan would purposely knee Adams in the nuts that cost them 2 points. Another fantastic night of reffing.

I can’t believe CD is already talking
about how many losses do the kings have to hit before your all in for “the tank”. I thought the this year was a no tank year because the kings had to retain sabonis? If this team sucks that bad why would sabonis resign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.