[Game] Kings vs. Thunder [Vegas Summer League] 7/13/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern (NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TETSU STOP TRYING TO PROP HIM UP AS THE NEXT MJ, HOW DARE YOU GET EXCITED OVER ANYTHING KEEGAN DOES, YOU THINK YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN BEING A KINGS FAN, HAHAHAH NEWB.

But for real, it's a fun stat and he's put up a bunch of fun SL stats. None of it counts till he shows it during the regular season. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be excited to see what he does next.

So saying comparing KM to Kuz, who was the SL MVP n put up similar numbers = Murray does not look great?!? Okay.

As for the Banchero ROTY statement, if u we’re here, u’d know that I’ve been saying that since March.
Haha, even more to my point then. The only person here making definitive statements about players who have yet to play a single minute in the NBA and have not only shown flashes but also flaws is you. No one else, and apparently you’ve been at it for a while.

I’m not bothered by a comparison to Kuz, I’m not bothered by any comparisons made honestly. They are all opinion based, rarely accurate with far too many extenuating circumstances that could alter it and just a tool for people to wrap their heads around what they’re seeing.

What myself and others have seen is constant condescending comments. Keegan has a good game, we hear “he’s just going to be a 3rd option on this team”. Ok? That holds zero relevance as to his performance on the game. Keegan has another good game showing both flashes where he excels and areas for improvement. We hear, “face up game is terrible” yet recognition of nothing else. Keegan has another good game actually showing improvement in areas where he looked weak in prior games. We hear from you, “there’s a reason why Keegan’s still playing but Banchero and Giddey are not.” Again, in what world does that hold relevance to the game he just played? You bring up that other people are creating all the extra qualifiers to stan Murray, when in fact almost every comment you share is created, non related qualifiers to ignore strengths and highlight weaknesses.

Haha, even more to my point then. The only person here making definitive statements about players who have yet to play a single minute in the NBA and have not only shown flashes but also flaws is you. No one else, and apparently you’ve been at it for a while.

I’m not bothered by a comparison to Kuz, I’m not bothered by any comparisons made honestly. They are all opinion based, rarely accurate with far too many extenuating circumstances that could alter it and just a tool for people to wrap their heads around what they’re seeing.

What myself and others have seen is constant condescending comments. Keegan has a good game, we hear “he’s just going to be a 3rd option on this team”. Ok? That holds zero relevance as to his performance on the game. Keegan has another good game showing both flashes where he excels and areas for improvement. We hear, “face up game is terrible” yet recognition of nothing else. Keegan has another good game actually showing improvement in areas where he looked weak in prior games. We hear from you, “there’s a reason why Keegan’s still playing but Banchero and Giddey are not.” Again, in what world does that hold relevance to the game he just played? You bring up that other people are creating all the extra qualifiers to stan Murray, when in fact almost every comment you share is created, non related qualifiers to ignore strengths and highlight weaknesses.
From earlier in the thread. Nothing but condescension Right?

Yesterday at 7:40 PM#232
Ronw said:
The basket is still the same,also he passes the eye test,I do know it's just summer league and some non NBA players but to me you can see it the way he moves on the floor and the way he plays,again he passes the eye test,people put to much saying it's just gleague players,think about this it's probably harder to be impressive against someone going 110 mph all the time trying to make a team and keeg has done that

I got more value from the plays where a current NBA quality defender went up against him. The times that Jalen Williams guarded him, he had difficulty scoring against him. Williams has a pro body n legit wing length. Murray was able to bully Chet, so there just wasn’t much value from that match up. How many dudes in the NBA are as skinny as Chet? Now if Chet puts on good weight, in three years, he’s an elite defender. Big if though, but that combination of mobility n length n skill is rare.

The off the ball movement n shooting for Murray will translate. As well as his IQ on rebounds.

The ball creation is still an issue. He tends to over dribble n expose the ball when facing up. Even on that drive n score on #25, who is an undersized 4, Murrary crossed the ball on him twice on the same play. Fox never crosses the ball on his drives. But Murray n his lack of explosion is going to morph into Harden and do that in the nba?

So was that trade on the table Monte? Since obviously you were in the war room and know what was being offered and all...
I’m fairness the rumor that 6 + Duarte were offered by multiple sources. I’m even on record saying that I would have taken the deal and drafted Benne or attempted to trade down again if at all possible. That said, I’ve been a fan of Murray as well and he’s definitely gone above and beyond from what I thought we’d see. I’m happy to be wrong up to this point. Up to this point being key words here. Anything can happen, it’s obviously extremely early but Keegan has looked very good and his skill set along with Fox and Sabo looks to be ideal.

Ronw said:
The basket is still the same,also he passes the eye test,I do know it's just summer league and some non NBA players but to me you can see it the way he moves on the floor and the way he plays,again he passes the eye test,people put to much saying it's just gleague players,think about this it's probably harder to be impressive against someone going 110 mph all the time trying to make a team and keeg has done that

I got more value from the plays where a current NBA quality defender went up against him. The times that Jalen Williams guarded him, he had difficulty scoring against him. Williams has a pro body n legit wing length. Murray was able to bully Chet, so there just wasn’t much value from that match up. How many dudes in the NBA are as skinny as Chet? Now if Chet puts on good weight, in three years, he’s an elite defender. Big if though, but that combination of mobility n length n skill is rare.

The off the ball movement n shooting for Murray will translate. As well as his IQ on rebounds.

The ball creation is still an issue. He tends to over dribble n expose the ball when facing up. Even on that drive n score on #25, who is an undersized 4, Murrary crossed the ball on him twice on the same play. Fox never crosses the ball on his drives. But Murray n his lack of explosion is going to morph into Harden and do that in the nba?
One post doesn't prove your entire body of work my friend.

Ronw said:

Hahaha read your next paragraph. I’m beginning to think it’s physically impossible for you to say something positive about Murray without belittling him. A positive and accurate assessment followed by hyperbole and a hypothetical, exaggerated reason for doubt.

I’m fairness the rumor that 6 + Duarte were offered by multiple sources. I’m even on record saying that I would have taken the deal and drafted Benne or attempted to trade down again if at all possible. That said, I’ve been a fan of Murray as well and he’s definitely gone above and beyond from what I thought we’d see. I’m happy to be wrong up to this point. Up to this point being key words here. Anything can happen, it’s obviously extremely early but Keegan has looked very good and his skill set along with Fox and Sabo looks to be ideal.
Well if you do that, and Murray is gone by 6, you grab either Eason or Mathurin. Not Daniels.

Ronw said:

Maybe the reason why magic shut Banchero down was just in case chet outplayed him and it would have been a ton of questions.Again that's just a guess my point being keeg has been the best player here at SL and every single guy you have mentioned Banchero,giddey all have flaws that can be worked on.. Will Keeg be a superstar I don't know but I do know we got the pick right and I'm glad we got Keegan.

THIS!!!! Two summer league games is enough to tell us Bachero is ROY. One SL game is enough to tell us Ivey is future MVP. But we can’t get excited about Murray having a great summer, or what Murray may or may not be, based on double the games those two played combined.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well if you do that, and Murray is gone by 6, you grab either Eason or Mathurin. Not Daniels.
I know that technically this is tampering but it feels like the Kings were operating in the draft knowing that they were getting Monk in free agency and probably pulling off the Huerter deal (even if at the time there was also a chance it would become a bigger Huerter/Collins deal). I'm not sure they would have gone guard even if that was what was left at the top of their board this year.

Reread the question to Taxman.
Waste of time to actually go back and pull quotes, you’ll say the same here soon enough or create your straw man once again. Everyone here, including yourself, has read, saw and for the most part remember well enough to recall your comments. If we want to play dumb and pretend not to remember than I’ll stop playing this game. I’m genuinely trying to explain to you some of the disconnect here. I’m not trying to play stupid games. If you don’t want to hear it and double down with comments like “oH FoR sUrE, fUtUrE gOaT” then that’s your prerogative. But this is a forum for fans of the Kings in case that wasn’t made abundantly clear. People are going to be and act fanatically about their team when there’s something to get excited about.

I know that technically this is tampering but it feels like the Kings were operating in the draft knowing that they were getting Monk in free agency and probably pulling off the Huerter deal (even if at the time there was also a chance it would become a bigger Huerter/Collins deal). I'm not sure they would have gone guard even if that was what was left at the top of their board this year.
If they had an idea that they were getting those 2 players then I would for sure do what rhey did. Even knowing I was getting Monk would have written Ivey off my board. Monk is a better shooting compliment to Foxy.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean, just for context here:

I realize it's just summer league but the guy is putting up huge summer league numbers on great shooting splits. Now unless you're operating under the idea that Summer League rims are different from NBA rims, its hard to see how a lot of this isn't going to translate to the league.
from memory, the last two Kings rookies I can think of that played well in the Summer League and it translated was Reke and Boogie. Maybe IT too but I can't really remember his play in summer league.

Daniels got injured in the first half of his first SL game.
Daniels was 0-5, 1 assist, 2 rebs, and 1 steal in 8 minutes. I HIGHLY doubt Murray played 8 minutes straight and put up such pedestrian numbers, at any point.

Edit: 1 point. He was 1 of 2 from the free throw line. Can't forget about an important stat.

Giddey and Banchero were shut down for a reason.
Giddey didn't belong in SL.

Banchero was head and shoulders above his competition. If he's not gaining much from SL, what's the point of playing him and risking injury? Just let him focus on the practice runs with the starters.
It’s fun. And funny to see so much hopium after 5,840+ days of excellence.
Duarte + Daniels > Murray. Sure. Frame. It.
I know I unignore you for a reason. These takes... these takes are based on so little fact that not even ESPN can come up.

I was gonna say once the season begins, our success would be hard to ignore, but seeing these takes, you'll surely find a way. I was so worried last night when you bailed, I thought you finally gave up... phew...

Keep up the good work.

It’s fun. And funny to see so much hopium after 5,840+ days of excellence.
Do you think past performance is evidence of future performance?

Or perhaps since we have a new front office ( yes I know but their moves are just beginning to bear fruit IMO, so "new".)

Half the roster has changed, many shooters on board including a Blue Chip Rookie who is showing great promise in Summer League. Sabonis an All Star was added late last season. Swipa is being asked by the New Coach to show us his Swipa ways on D. Two good shooting guards were added. Off Night is ready to do his thing. HB and the other fellas will be ready to play ball.

You call it hopium:) I call it looking forward to an Improved Roster, Coaching Staff and Front Office to start the new season!

GO KINGS!!!!!

The heck are you even talking about? Ya, I wanted someone else but I’m going out of my way to prop Murray, admitting he’s blowing my expectations away, and noting that I don’t actively dislike this guy like the other top draftee in our recent past. Sure, I’m not shouting the hyperbole from the rooftops yet, doesn’t mean I’m not hype.

That said it doesn’t matter who we drafted, Ivey/Keegan/Other 6 summer league games doesn’t make someone some near untouchable prodigy. We’re not there yet.
I'll tell you why this kid after 6 SL games shows you that it is nearly untouchable. (bolded "nearly" so I don't commit the same fallacy in logic by speaking in definite)

Just on his mentality alone; the way he approaches the game, not rushing and not forcing it; the way he observes and attacks only when the time is right, only when he is primed to do so, and he still scored 20 and 6,7 a game, that alone regardless of skill I'd take Murray 10 out of 10 times over RJ Barrett, who by all counts as you said is on the up and up.

Skills mean nothing when the right mentality is not there. As a business owner myself, I take the guys who love to be around, who despite not being the best at what he/she does put in 110% of effort, the underdog who no one believes but works him/herself into the position(s) he/she wanted to be in; over the most talented guy for the job.

Last edited:
The article I read today was an interview with Murray's former coach. Most of his insight was about Murray's game and his mentality, which had been pretty obvious to anyone watching SL.

My main takeaway from the interview was he said "the Kings really did their HW" when scouting Murray. This has also been said regarding the scouting of Vezenkov.

Monte has done a good job drafting. He should have earned "some" trust by now. I actually really like that he has Ellis under contract too.

Status
Not open for further replies.