[Game] Kings v. Celtics - Wednesday, March 6 - 7PT/10ET

The call play was to get Buddy the ball off of WCS but Tatum played good D. Then Barnes came from below as backup. Boston really covered well.
Then bad call. The C's just simply played under Willie and switched. Bjelica setting that screen means he can come off that screen and be a target for that pass. Letting Willie set a screen is completely defendable in that scenario since he won't become an option out that far. I re-watched it and Willie didn't even set a screen. I'm sure they didn't run that as drawn up but one of your best shooters not even being in the play but taking the ball out has happened before. I just don't get it. Maybe if there were more than 2 seconds but not there.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I do feel like this team offense is not utilizing De'Aaron Fox speed and talents. Most of the time he is forced to create play for his teammates like Mike Conley did under Dave Joeger. But De'Aaron Fox is too explosive and too fast for him not to be attacking the basket most of the time. 50% of his game should be tailor toward attacking not not setting up guys. I feel like because he was told to pass first before scoring, his mentality is now switch. So even when he's on a fast break and have the ability to run by people, he's not doing it because his mentality changed.
Like if he and Bogi switched mindsets it would be ideal.

Bogi is currently dominating possessions like he's Wizards-era Jordan.

I do feel like this team offense is not utilizing De'Aaron Fox speed and talents. Most of the time he is forced to create play for his teammates like Mike Conley did under Dave Joeger. But De'Aaron Fox is too explosive and too fast for him not to be attacking the basket most of the time. 50% of his game should be tailor toward attacking not not setting up guys. I feel like because he was told to pass first before scoring, his mentality is now switch. So even when he's on a fast break and have the ability to run by people, he's not doing it because his mentality changed and that kind of suck because it helps out the other team because they don't have to deal with his explosiveness.
It just doesn’t make any sense. When did we become a freakin halfcourt team?? Can someone ask the coach this? The media is too easy on this guy just because he’s a nice guy

Screw that

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
let's see if you feel this way when Kyrie plays versus the Kings in Boston
I have seen the Celtics with Kyrie get blown up by teams far worse than the Kings. For whatever reason the Celtics seem to play better when Kyrie isn't there to dominate the ball.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I have seen the Celtics with Kyrie get blown up by teams far worse than the Kings. For whatever reason the Celtics seem to play better when Kyrie isn't there to dominate the ball.
I get what you are saying and you are right, but it's the Kings and with that being etched in stone, you best believe Kyrie will light the Kings up and the Celtics win by 15

DJ: they got guys that are 3, 4, 5 inches taller and shooting over us.

That's why we call the lineup u put in "small ball" cuz they are smaller. U don't want them to take advantage of mismatches, put in a freaking full sized lineup. You know, the lineup that would build the lead or take back the lead after u consistently go back to small ball.

I think King's season is done. Hopefully, they have the money to sign Vucevic in the summer and get rid of average low IQ player like Willie Cauley Stein. Restructure Harrison Barnes contract to increase the cap space to go after Vucevic.

DJ: they got guys that are 3, 4, 5 inches taller and shooting over us.

That's why we call the lineup u put in "small ball" cuz they are smaller. U don't want them to take advantage of mismatches, put in a freaking full sized lineup. You know, the lineup that would build the lead or take back the lead after u consistently go back to small ball.
Without Bagley available who else do you put out there to end the game. Keep in mind, this group brought you back from 6 down.

Also, at the end it wasn't small ball. It was fox, Heild, Barnes, belly, and WCS.

Just rewatched the last play. Celts defended that like they knew exactly what we were running. Tatum (who’s covering the inbounds) as soon as Bjelica gets the ball turns around and locates Buddy like he knew exactly where he was cutting to. Fox goes toward the baseline and Hayward leaves Hield to cover him, knowing Tatum had Hield. Meanwhile Willie is just standing in the middle with Rozier on him, essentially the Celts saying he’s not a threat we’ll even put our smallest guy on him.

That play is the difference between a really well coached team... vs one that is still growing and has holes in key positions.

Is he being forced to play small ball lineups against his will or something? (Considering our track record, this could be a distinct possibility)

People, start looking at the bigger picture and the real issues here. You're being distracted by the shiny object. The small ball lineup on it's own hasn't been that negative. The Kings aren't going to win locking teams down regardless of who is out there. In fact, Barnes has turned this team into a more respectable team defensively. The question is why isn't he guarding Tatum more? Bogdan did defend him pretty well BTW. He didn't get treetopped like Grant thinks. His go to shot is the fadeaway. Good for him. The C's and any real contenders force you to play small. The issue is and will continue to be their inability to drive home the play that should be their bread and butter, the pick and roll. They lost this and almost any other game on offense in an earlier quarter. The Kings had another quarter of 17 points in this game. The Kings are the fastest paced team yet barely cling to the top 10 in PPG. Somewhere around 8 or 9 currently. That won't work over any length of time. They always repeat the same PACE stat at the start of these games. Great they play fast which is a great start over that travesty of last years play style, but they aren't nearly making as much of it as they should.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Without Bagley available who else do you put out there to end the game. Keep in mind, this group brought you back from 6 down.

Also, at the end it wasn't small ball. It was fox, Heild, Barnes, belly, and WCS.
This was only the lineup because Bogi fouled out.

Then bad call. The C's just simply played under Willie and switched. Bjelica setting that screen means he can come off that screen and be a target for that pass. Letting Willie set a screen is completely defendable in that scenario since he won't become an option out that far. I re-watched it and Willie didn't even set a screen. I'm sure they didn't run that as drawn up but one of your best shooters not even being in the play but taking the ball out has happened before. I just don't get it. Maybe if there were more than 2 seconds but not there.
I think they were trying to get someone bigger who can see over defenders to inbound. but yeah once the inbound to Buddy failed then it was a scramble.