HOT TAKES THREAD!!!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My point is the quicker they develop chemistry as a tandem the better. Individually they are already headed there but they can't learn to play off of eachother if they aren't being put in a position to do so.
they will get plenty of opportunity to do so next season and prior to that, the off season, training camp, preseason and so forth.

they will get plenty of opportunity to do so next season and prior to that, the off season, training camp, preseason and so forth.

Yes, but that assumes a change in play style. Hopefully that does occur. I didn't think we'd see the change in pace from last year to this year. So who knows.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yes, but that assumes a change in play style. Hopefully that does occur. I didn't think we'd see the change in pace from last year to this year. So who knows.
if they play at the same pace next season without having some half court sets to fall back on, then they won't be that much better than this season. That kind of pace is not sustainable throughout a 82 game season. No matter how young and athletic you are.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Slab I love you and agree with you on alot you say, but we are not a BAD team. Imo we are a good young team that doesnt know how to win.
Probably overstated it a bit. We’re a very mediocre team, probably below average slightly sub-500 level... Better than the 18 wins I predicted. :p

Still have that sweet sweet upside though. Just because we aren’t there yet (as shown by this bad bad stretch) doesn’t mean we won’t get there. I have faith in Fox/Bags/Giles.

The road is a little more foggy than it was a month ago, though.

gunks

Hall of Famer
if they play at the same pace next season without having some half court sets to fall back on, then they won't be that much better than this season. That kind of pace is not sustainable throughout a 82 game season. No matter how young and athletic you are.
Yeah, but Vivek digs it! (Sorry VF21, it's the hot takes thread!)

For real though, hopefully they learned that lesson with how lethargic this team got in the 2nd half of the year. I know Joerger is often throwing out quotes about how small a percentage of the offense this team actually knows. It's kinda irksome, but with how young Fox is, I get it. Hopefully the offense consists of more than just fast breaks and Willie ISOs next season! (ok, thats unfair of me - but this is the hot takes thread!)

Here is a hot take.

DeAaron Fox will be the best player of his class and a future face of the NBA

His ceiling is a Finals MVP.

His maturity level at 20 years of age, and his court vision - coupled with his ability to spread the floor and get in the lane, are going to be HOF worthy.

Vlade was right with this pick. We got SUPER lucky Fox was there at #5.

Fox will be looked at as one of the top PGs in the league by the time he is 26.

When his career is done he will be looked at as one of the most unstoppable players of his generation. On both ends of the court.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to wonder if part of the reason Fox doesn't get the foul calls is because he is so fast that the refs are oftentimes out of position to see the play - they literally don't see it because all they see is his back. It's ponderous guys like Harden and Doncic that they can zero in on, not the Flash Fox. Maybe the league should think about special Fox refs who just stand at the endlines so they can see what the heck is going on at the end of his mad dashes to the basket.

I believe the team we've been seeing since the break is the real Kings.

If they play like this next year we're looking at .500.

So, I'll call us a mediocre young team with very high upside.
I agree with this, but I also think that the likelihood of us playing like this next year is minimal. For one Bagley will have spent an entire summer getting better and will be starting. He's already way ahead of the curve as it is now so that is encouraging. Next we will have most likely upgraded our center position. I know WCS has been playing well lately, but he has still been too unreliable to commit to long term. I'm fine with signing him to reasonable deal, but he will definitely get big offers and I don't think we match. So if nothing else our starting unit will definitely be improved. It's also doubtful we don't attempt to fix the back up point guard position. Our team is notably worse when Fox is off the floor and Yogi and Mason both have shown they aren't the answer. I also think that Vlade will look to upgrade the bench overall as well. Moving Bagley to the starting line up takes our bench from being one of the highest scoring, to one of the lowest so I think that will be something he tries to address. Throw in continued improvement of guys like Fox, Hield, and Giles and I think the odds that we don't make strong leaps are pretty minimal. Obviously none of this happens and we even see some regression which would suck so we will see.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I do think there’s a pretty real chance Buddy “regresses.”

Not to like Rookie Hield, but a clear step below the Klay Thompson type he was until the All-Star Break.

I've posted the stats before, outside of Fox and Buddy this team isn't all that fast. They are more of a half court team. When they aren't running they take long developing shots. They play with pace but don't score enough in the end. The gap between being elite and not on offense is a close one but I think the half court sets they run are the difference right now. More quick hitting pick and roll at the start of the clock rather than the end could make a world of difference.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've posted the stats before, outside of Fox and Buddy this team isn't all that fast. They are more of a half court team. When they aren't running they take long developing shots. They play with pace but don't score enough in the end. The gap between being elite and not on offense is a close one but I think the half court sets they run are the difference right now. More quick hitting pick and roll at the start of the clock rather than the end could make a world of difference.
Bagley is extremely fast. Unlike WCS though, he can take advantage when he runs down the floor and post a smaller mismatched guy in the post. I'm looking forward to a lot more of that next year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not having Willie in the starting line up would be a great way to start having a better half court offense.

WHY SHOEHORN BARNES INTO THE FOUR SPOT?!!?!!!???
I keep seeing this sentiment posted around here as if it's a given or just accepted or something. I don't know why and I don't get it. As far as Covington goes, I would love to get him, but then you have to question who goes to the bench if Barnes is to stay at the 3.

We're not getting him anyway. But if we COULD trade Bogi for Cov? Yes.

My hot take for the day.....

Vlade believes in this roster. Vlade believes certain players can play positions, like Bagley at SF, others do not.

So does Vlade pull a Popovich and name himself coach of this team and let Williams be his RC Buford?