HOT TAKES THREAD!!!

-All you thinking Joerger is on the hot seat when he's lead the team to its best record in a decade and very likely to a +10 win improvement are delusional. Or if they do actually fire them, then Vlade and the FO are delusional. Either way, someone is delusional.
We have talent. We can’t keep giving all the credit to yogurt. And we can’t keep blaming these collapses on the youth factor. Yogurt’s substitutions are below average.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We have talent. We can’t keep giving all the credit to yogurt. And we can’t keep blaming these collapses on the youth factor. Yogurt’s substitutions are below average.
Word. Natural talent is natural talent. Something the Kings of old rarely had.

Yogurt may not be Kenny Natt or Tyrone Corbin, but he isn’t working with players like Thomas Robinson, McBen, Jimmer, and Sauce.

((Still wish we never fired Malone, BTW.., is that still a hot take?))

Last edited:
When we have the quickest point guard and decide to let Bagley try to drive for the final shot I am at a loss.
Heck we had 24 seconds to score and that’s what the coach drew up. It seemed to of worked out for our opponents with about 6 seconds left.

Luka AST% 30,5
Bagley AST% 6,2

A good first option usually can also create for others and creating for others is very valuable. Bagley hasnt demonstrated that ability this season or basically ever in his career.

Also its a fairly big assumptipn that someone could maintain his efficency while increasing his usage to a first option level. I would say its pretty unlikely especially for a big man who gets relatively lot of his offense assisted to him by the primary creators. When you increase usage its usually increasing iso 1-1 situations and its hard to maintain efficency when thats the case.

..I know

Thus why I said in my post "Now we obviously need to see him maintain these rates at 30+ MPG and increased USG"

What in his stat profile suggests he won't be able to maintain efficiency with his increased USG? We need to see it (duh), but there aren't any red flags that pop up that suggest he won't be a #1 very soon. We've seen in on countless occasions this year when he gets the offense run through him that he takes that workload increase with ease.

Also really dumb trying to compare a lead ball-handler AST rate to a rookie back-up big man who doesn't get starting minutes yet. It's not a comparison you can make because of how different their roles are right now. Once Bagley gets in the starting lineup and becomes a feature offensive weapon, then you can take a look at playmaking differences.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don’t think this loss is on the Coach or GM in the least. People need to recognize what they just saw. It was a young, immature, and largely inexperienced team letting down their guard believing the game was over. That’s how 6 layups in 2 and 1/2 minutes happens.

They took numerous defensive possessions off thinking they’d coast the last 12 minutes. Then suddenly they were in a game and didn’t know how to respond. The anxiety level went up to level 20 as each and every player was then pressing and hoping not to allow the collapse to actually happen. After answering a couple baskets and naively believing the crisis was over, they reverted back to the same no-intensity defense they played to begin the 4th quarter.

They played like a team trying not to lose rather than playing to win.

The proverbial cherry on top was not coming remotely close to getting a shot off on their last possession then subsequently allowing an 11th and final layup in less than 5 seconds for the game winner.

Sorry, but this one is all on the players.
QFT.

Well thought out and logical. Does it qualify as a "hot take" under those circumstances? ;)

..I know

Thus why I said in my post "Now we obviously need to see him maintain these rates at 30+ MPG and increased USG"
And I gave my prediction that its pretty unlikely that a player can maintain his efficency while increasing his efficency to a first option level

What in his stat profile suggests he won't be able to maintain efficiency with his increased USG? We need to see it (duh), but there aren't any red flags that pop up that suggest he won't be a #1 very soon. We've seen in on countless occasions this year when he gets the offense run through him that he takes that workload increase with ease.
One thing that suggests it is that its simply quite rare. Its extremely hard to maintain efficency when increasing usage to a first option level. Its mostly because when your usage increases to first option level, it increases mainly isolation situations and those are often lower efficency situations. Also running the offense through you against backups is very different situation from you being the 1st option in first unit while opposition game plans against you. Most likely that would also decrease efficency.

Also really dumb trying to compare a lead ball-handler AST rate to a rookie back-up big man who doesn't get starting minutes yet. It's not a comparison you can make because of how different their roles are right now. Once Bagley gets in the starting lineup and becomes a feature offensive weapon, then you can take a look at playmaking differences.
First of all its definetly not dumb looking at players AST% when we are talking about wether this player could become a legit first option offensively. I dont care if you are a big man or not, I want my first option to create good efficent offense. If I want that, then I want my first option to be able to create to others as well. If he cant do that then I dont want him to be the first option in my offense. Bagley is a rookie big man so its quite expected that he is horrible at distributing the ball but its not about his role as you say. Its about what he is as a player, a rookie big man that has never been good at creating offense to others. He can improve but statistically nothing indicates that he will ever become good at creating to others.

Thats why there was so much discussion pre draft. Its historically quite rare to have an elite level offense produced by a big man, at least according to OBPM. Once again I quote a great post made by @tyguy:

JJJ has an elite skill (defense) what elite skill does bagley have? It certainly isn't defense. The chance of him becoming an elite offensive player are slim to none also. The only players that are high impact game altering offensive players A. Create shots for themselves B. Create shots for others. B is out of the question, it's extremely rare for a big and Bagley has not shown the chops. As far as creating offense for himself, post offense is inefficient.

In fact, offense creation is the domain of wings and guards. Very, very few “bigs” can be high impact offensive game changers because they cannot create for themselves and they usually cannot create for others. There is historical proof of this.

—In NBA history having a Box Plus/Minus (OBPM) of +5 is the mark of an elite offensive player and +6 is the domain of the game changing offensive players. There have been 243 individual seasons in which a player has posted a Box +/- of +5 or higher and only 116 in which a player has had a +6 season.

Here are all the non wings/guards to have a Box Plus/Minus season of +6 or higher

Barkley 4 times, Shaq 2, KAJ 1, KLove 1, DROB, Jokic, Karl Malone. That’s only 11 out of 116 times or about 9.5% of all such player seasons.
If you look at all the bigs who had a Box +/- of +5 or higher, you wind up with a total 32 out of 243 or about 13.2% of all such player seasons.

Wings and guards have created the best offense (especially since 1980) but teams just didn’t know it. The highest all time OBPM for non wings and guards is Barkley at #13 and #21 all time. This was when he was in Philly and played like a big since he had far fewer assists than those at the top of this list. Kareem at #36 is the highest ranking traditional Big big.

The story is the same for offensive RPM.

2018: 16 players over +3 (Jokic and KAT the only bigs), 10 Over +4 (Jokic the only big), 5 Over +5 (ZERO bigs), 2 Over +6 (ZERO bigs).

2017: 24 players over +3, ( Blake, KAT, BOOGIE, Jokic), 14 over +4 (Jokic), 7 over +5 (ZERO bigs), 4 over +6 (ZERO bigs), 1 Over +7 (ZERO bigs)

2016: 16 players over +3 (Jokic), 9 over +4 (ZERO bigs), 7 over +5 (ZERO bigs), 4 over +6 (ZERO bigs), 2 over +7 (ZERO bigs)

2015: 22 players over +3 (LMA, AD), 13 over +4, (ZERO bigs), 5 over +6 (ZERO bigs), 3 over +7 (ZERO bigs). 1 Over +8 (ZERO bigs)

2014: 24 players over +3 (Ryno, Love, dirk, Frye), 13 over +4 (Dirk), 6 over +5 (ZERO bigs), 4 over +6 (ZERO bigs), 1 Over +8 (ZERO bigs)

ORPM TOTALS from 2014–2018: There’s never been a big with an ORPM over 5.

+3 ORPM: 92 player seasons overall, only 13 bigs (14.1%)
+4 ORPM: 59 player seasons overall, 3 bigs (5.1%)
+5 ORPM: 33 player seasons overall, ZERO bigs
+6 ORPM: 19 player seasons overall, ZERO bigs
+7 ORPM: 7 player seasons overall, ZERO bigs
+8: ORPM: 2 player seasons overall, ZERO bigs

A big HAS to become a defensive force to become a game changer because he won’t be on offense. A guy like KAT who can post (least useful in today’s game) and shoot like a guard (look at his %s on open threes) is going to cap out at a +4ish on offense unless he can create for others which seems unlikely. A guy like Jokic is a +4 to +5 Player on offense because of his passing ability. KAT isn’t a defensive anchor but is actually a liability relative to other centers. If KAT were a better defensive player, he’d be a top 3-5 player.
Its not a perfect metric or an absolute truth but its a pretty good indicator on that diffetent roles/positions have different values when compared. Especially if we are only talking about first option offensive creators.

Just as a disclaimer, I think Bagley did well in his rookie year and I might have even underrated him a bit pre draft but mostly because his defense is bit better than I expected. This is seriously not ment to be a knock on Bagley, but simply a reply to a question of why we shouldnt probably expect him to be an elite first option offensively.

QFT.

Well thought out and logical. Does it qualify as a "hot take" under those circumstances? ;)
I think the “young and inexperienced” take is a copout. Every year there are tons of young and inexperienced teams but you don’t see them giving up a 25 pt lead in the 4th quarter. What we saw last night is historically bad and it takes a special combination of god awful offense with god awful defense with god awful rotations to make that happen.

I think the “young and inexperienced” take is a copout. Every year there are tons of young and inexperienced teams but you don’t see them giving up a 25 pt lead in the 4th quarter. What we saw last night is historically bad and it takes a special combination of god awful offense with god awful defense with god awful rotations to make that happen.
they just got hot. that was 80% of it.

My hot take:

We desperately need another full size wing that is 6’8” or over so when the coach, whomever he shall be, wants to go small and quick he can.

That means Bagley better learn to shoot or Vlade needs to sign someone.

Now we're using "How many All Stars" as a gauge for how much talent we have? That's pretty irrelevant for a team as young as this - and on a small market team nonetheless. All Star voting is a popular vote half the time.

We have talent - get outta here with that nonsense.
Look what was said in what I quoted. Then rethink your post.

And I gave my prediction that its pretty unlikely that a player can maintain his efficency while increasing his efficency to a first option level
huh? That's literally the path 95% of great offensive players take in the NBA, especially rookie big men who are never the focus of their team's offense in that first season. You look for indicators that a young player can take that step; how often is he getting to free throw line? Where is he taking his shots? Does he protect the ball? Is he efficient? Bagley shines in all these categories with a decently high USG rate already at 23% that is usually indicative of a 2nd or 3rd option on a team. It's the first step to seeing if he can handle the increased workload while maintaining his effectiveness.

One thing that suggests it is that its simply quite rare. Its extremely hard to maintain efficency when increasing usage to a first option level. Its mostly because when your usage increases to first option level, it increases mainly isolation situations and those are often lower efficency situations. Also running the offense through you against backups is very different situation from you being the 1st option in first unit while opposition game plans against you. Most likely that would also decrease efficency.
Again, duh. But players like Doncic are the exception to the rule where they walk in to the NBA with a #1 workload. Anthony Davis for example in his rookie year:
28.8 MPG
21.8% USG
55.9% TS
10.3% TOV
6.1% AST

Looks eerily similar to a certain someone no? Again, you look for the indicators that someone can handle the #1 workload. Virtually all rookies aren't expected to take that role from day 1.

First of all its definetly not dumb looking at players AST% when we are talking about wether this player could become a legit first option offensively. I dont care if you are a big man or not, I want my first option to create good efficent offense. If I want that, then I want my first option to be able to create to others as well. If he cant do that then I dont want him to be the first option in my offense. Bagley is a rookie big man so its quite expected that he is horrible at distributing the ball but its not about his role as you say. Its about what he is as a player, a rookie big man that has never been good at creating offense to others. He can improve but statistically nothing indicates that he will ever become good at creating to others.
Yes it is. Role is everything with regards to playmaking and creating for others. What are you even talking about? Bagley isn't asked to be the lead option and have the offense run through him like Doncic is. I'm not claiming he'd be anywhere close to his AST rate, but I'd be willing to bet his AST% dramatically rises next year when he's with the starters and becomes a more feature weapon in the offense. AST rate is directly tied to the offensive role you're asked to play. Pat Bev has an 18% Ast rate as a guard that plays 28-30 MPG, but that's because he's not asked to be a playmaker.

Bagley:
24.6 MPG
58% TS
.397 FTr
23.3% USG
11% TOV

Doncic:
32.4 MPG
54.6% TS
.408 FTr
30.2% USG
15.1% TOV

So Doncic rates are a poor #1 option (which is mightily impressive for a 19 year old rookie) while Bagley rates are a quality #2(again, very impressive). Bagley absolutely has to prove he can maintain this level of efficiency at 30+ MPG and a higher USG rate, but nothing in his profile suggests he won't be able to do so. He protects the ball, scores efficiently and gets to the free throw line at an above-average rate, nearing star territory in that category.

So why can't Bagley be "elite, elite"?
It's no secret that the best players in the league are the big strong guys who can shoot, drive, pass and get to the line. Lebron, Giannis, Harden, Durant, George etc. Doncic has a chance to be knocking on that door. He might not be quite as good as those guys due to not having the same level of athleticism but he should be able to lead his teams to a bunch of playoff berths as the #1 option. Build a team around him and who knows in the future? Half of these guys will be retired or too old in his prime.

Back in the day the Shaqs and Hakeems were elite elite. Fast forward 20 years and a handful of rule changes and those guys wouldn't be as effective as they were back in the day. Not saying they still wouldn't be awesome today, they just wouldn't be as effective as they were in 1995 due to the rules changes and how nearly every player can shoot 3s. Bagley would probably wind up being elite elite in the 90s. In the 2020s he's probably just going to wind up being a good player as far as playing winning basketball goes but unless he develops into more of a Giannis type player and less of a post player, his play won't be elite elite as far as the guys who can lead their teams to the playoffs goes.

To me it has nothing to do with Bagley and everything to do with the stupid rules the NBA has implemented that has watered the game down and almost completely destroyed the value of the offensive minded big man.

My hot takes...

I never thought Bogie would be a viable backup PG option. Never saw him as a primary ball handler and I think we are seeing what happens when you have a guy who is decent at ball handling actually try and run a team for large stretches. The team needs a real backup PG and he needs to play backup minutes at SG where he actually has an advantage on other backup SGs.

The Kings need to find a real interior defender that packs the paint. This is even with the emergence of Giles and Bagley. They need a guy who can defend the rim and if Bagley and Giles can't play good enough defense in time, then someone is going to need to be traded to balance the team out better. All offense, no defense teams usually peak out around the 8th seed.

For as many gripes as Giles gets for fouling, Brewer is fouling at almost the same rate as he is.

Joerger should not in any way be fired this year. If the team is healthy and doesn't make the playoffs next year then I can see the conversation being had.

It's no secret that the best players in the league are the big strong guys who can shoot, drive, pass and get to the line. Lebron, Giannis, Harden, Durant, George etc. Doncic has a chance to be knocking on that door. He might not be quite as good as those guys due to not having the same level of athleticism but he should be able to lead his teams to a bunch of playoff berths as the #1 option. Build a team around him and who knows in the future? Half of these guys will be retired or too old in his prime.

Back in the day the Shaqs and Hakeems were elite elite. Fast forward 20 years and a handful of rule changes and those guys wouldn't be as effective as they were back in the day. Not saying they still wouldn't be awesome today, they just wouldn't be as effective as they were in 1995 due to the rules changes and how nearly every player can shoot 3s. Bagley would probably wind up being elite elite in the 90s. In the 2020s he's probably just going to wind up being a good player as far as playing winning basketball goes but unless he develops into more of a Giannis type player and less of a post player, his play won't be elite elite as far as the guys who can lead their teams to the playoffs goes.

To me it has nothing to do with Bagley and everything to do with the stupid rules the NBA has implemented that has watered the game down and almost completely destroyed the value of the offensive minded big man.
Bagley is more in the mold of Giannis and Durant than Shaq and Hakeem. Bagley has a post up game, face up game, hits mid range jumpers, is starting to hit 3's, can drive to the basket and gets to the foul line at a high rate. He is anything but a one dimensional plodding 90's post player.

Last edited:
Bagley is more in the mold of Giannis and Durant than Shaq and Hakeem. Bagley has a post up game, face up game, hits mid range jumpers, is starting to hit 3's, can drive to the basket and gets to the foul line at a high rate. He is anything but a one dimensional plodding 90's post player.

Think you better check the stats.
About 80 percent of Bagley’s points this season have been at the rim.

He occasionally hits a three or a midrange.
But, is that his game. No way. I don’t see it.
He can definitely be a 20 pt player
Could he be a Durant type player one day. If he puts on some more muscle and
Diversified his game. Possible.

Freak: Sorry,
You lost me there.
Freak can cover 1-5,
Bagley is light years from being the Giannis.

Body type as well.
Ain’t happening!
A unicorn he’s not.

Once again, today’s NBA is predicated in guard play and wings! That’s a fact.
This is not 1998. Where big men were the key to winning championships. That ship has sailed.

Doncic will always have more value no matter what. Even if the stats are somewhat similar.

Think you better check the stats.
About 80 percent of Bagley’s points this season have been at the rim.

He occasionally hits a three or a midrange.
But, is that his game. No way. I don’t see it.
He can definitely be a 20 pt player
Could he be a Durant type player one day. If he puts on some more muscle and
Diversified his game. Possible.

Freak: Sorry,
You lost me there.
Freak can cover 1-5,
Bagley is light years from being the Giannis.

Body type as well.
Ain’t happening!
A unicorn he’s not.

Once again, today’s NBA is predicated in guard play and wings! That’s a fact.
This is not 1998. Where big men were the key to winning championships. That ship has sailed.

Doncic will always have more value no matter what. Even if the stats are somewhat similar.
Right, you’d think by now the debate on here would stop on wings vs bigs unless said big is Emiiid and I’ll add Jokic. But Jokic as basically a playmaking big.

Bagley can get us 25-10-3 vs Luka let’s say 23-8-6 (wha t he’s been basically averaging since January). Stats look close till you watch the game and see Luka is running the show and creating offense the others. There’s only so much a big can do.

huh? That's literally the path 95% of great offensive players take in the NBA, especially rookie big men who are never the focus of their team's offense in that first season. You look for indicators that a young player can take that step; how often is he getting to free throw line? Where is he taking his shots? Does he protect the ball? Is he efficient? Bagley shines in all these categories with a decently high USG rate already at 23% that is usually indicative of a 2nd or 3rd option on a team. It's the first step to seeing if he can handle the increased workload while maintaining his effectiveness.

Again, duh. But players like Doncic are the exception to the rule where they walk in to the NBA with a #1 workload. Anthony Davis for example in his rookie year:
28.8 MPG
21.8% USG
55.9% TS
10.3% TOV
6.1% AST

Looks eerily similar to a certain someone no? Again, you look for the indicators that someone can handle the #1 workload. Virtually all rookies aren't expected to take that role from day 1.
Yeah thats the path but its a hard path. If it wasnt so hard a lot of people would be able to do that. In reality there are quite few players that can make that leap. As I said my prediction bases on couple of things: 1)Bagley is not a good 1-1 iso player and increasing usage to a first option level means increasing iso situations. 2) a lot of Bagleys current stats comes against backups. Going against the starters as a number one focus of the defense decreases efficency.

Im not saying its impossible, I'm saying its very hard so it shouldnt be looked at as an obvious thing that it will happen. It probably wont happen next year, maybe after couple of years but even then its a maybe.

Yes it is. Role is everything with regards to playmaking and creating for others. What are you even talking about? Bagley isn't asked to be the lead option and have the offense run through him like Doncic is. I'm not claiming he'd be anywhere close to his AST rate, but I'd be willing to bet his AST% dramatically rises next year when he's with the starters and becomes a more feature weapon in the offense. AST rate is directly tied to the offensive role you're asked to play. Pat Bev has an 18% Ast rate as a guard that plays 28-30 MPG, but that's because he's not asked to be a playmaker.
If your role is to be a first option as was discussed, looking at AST% is definetly not stupid. Creating for others is a very important part of being a good first option offensively. Thats just how it is and the whole point of this discussion was that why wouldnt this player become an elite first option. Elite offensive players are able to create to others. If you dont do that, you are not an elite offensive player.

Pat Beverly is not asked to be a playmaker because he cant be a playmaker. Hes a defensive specialist and generates value other ways than making plays offensively. And thats the case with a lot of big men as it is with Bagley. Thats why a lot of elite big men are those that are also very good defensively like Davis, Embiid, Duncan, Garnet ect.

Take a deep breath people. The NBA season is really long and some guys are mentally beat up by now. It takes some experience to deal with it.

My hot take is that Fox, Bagley and Giles are already great players, that continue to improve with very steep learning curves. Barnes is playing great. That is a great nucleus to build around. Buddy needs a vacation. He was very ineffective last night, but will bounce back. He is showing mental and some physical fatigue. I think Bogi is playing hurt and not very well at the moment. Belli is a useful player to have around. Willie needs to go.

Joerger and Vlade are not going anyhwere any time soon. This would be a good time for a team meeting and some discussion about what happened last night against Brooklyn.
This. Every word.