The Official NBA Draft Day Thread 2014 Edition

During the offseason, I've...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that the Kings would give up on McLemore after one season. That's like giving up on Peja one season. If you want to trade the guy you develop him as a player to increase his value, not trade him at a bargain basement price. I thought the last month of this past season saw McLemore come on like gangbusters. His ball handling was dramatically improved, his shot was better, his defense was better, his confidence was better. Unless you can some idiot GM to make a trade for a budding star at another position, I'd sit tight and watch both McLemore and Stauskas improve their games this coming year.
its really easy to pinpoint what is needed to be done.

Regarding IT, they do have a move...I personally don't think they want IT, why else would you tell the NBA world, "we want IT back but our best offer is $6 mill". Here come teams with $7 mill to offer. A sign and trade is a real possibility.
I don't think they want him either. But what's a sign and trade realistically going to get you? Better than IT? They need a better fit than IT, but he's so far beyond mccallum at this point. People thinking ray can start are a bit delusional.

I don't understand the transparency of the management group. Wise people stopped listening. Don't buy the 6 million line.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think they want him either. But what's a sign and trade realistically going to get you? Better than IT? They need a better fit than IT, but he's so far beyond mccallum at this point. People thinking ray can start are a bit delusional.

I don't understand the transparency of the management group. Wise people stopped listening. Don't buy the 6 million line.
might want to, remember last year they were very open about the $8mil red line on Reke, and struck exactly to it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
When Stauskas went at 8 and Payton went at 10 my thought was that Philly wanted a shooter in the backcourt with MCW who could space the floor for Noel and Embiid. I was waiting to hear that the Kings were getting Stauskas and a pair of 2nd rounders.

It made sense, Charlotte wanted a shooter so Philly would conceivably have to leapfrog them to make sure they got Nik. When word was that Payton was on the move I was pretty sure I was right only to be disappointed a bit later.

Because if the King's FO doesn't see IT as the future starter and will only retain him at $6 million or less then they obviously need a plan for a starting PG.

I would have loved Payton AND Stauskas with IT as a sixth man. It's a hell of a lot better than the very real possibility of McCallum and either McLemore it Stauskas with the other off the bench.

PDA & co chose to try and retool on the fly instead of rebuild and so now the team has no caproom or other real assets to go get another PG if Thomas does leave.

Vivek thinks he hired a GM that can think four moves ahead. One of them better be getting a quality starting PG because I thinks odds are good that IT gets offered more than $6 million per.

Last edited:
The question becomes which teams can/will pay IT 7 million a year? Which teams have the cap space and need a PG or sixth man?
There are 29 other teams who might potentially have interest. We cannot narrow it down to teams that fit certain criteria. Last year we did the same think with Tyreke and out of nowhere came the Pelicans with a 4 year $48 million offer.

Someone will be interested in IT. We just need to see how much interest there is and what is the price set by the market.

One thing is for certain at this stage. IT will not agree to be a sixth man. He is looking for starter money and a starting spot. If the FO has any doubts about him leading the team, then he isn't the PG that this team needs. I still think we sign and trade him, unless there is zero interest in him and we can get him for cheap.

One thing is for certain at this stage. IT will not agree to be a sixth man. He is looking for starter money and a starting spot. If the FO has any doubts about him leading the team, then he isn't the PG that this team needs. I still think we sign and trade him, unless there is zero interest in him and we can get him for cheap.
What IT wants is irrelevant at this stage. So what if every single team in the league thinks that IT is a 6th man does that mean he goes to Europe because he wants to be a starter? Of course not! He might not like it but as long as he gets paid, he will live with it!

What IT wants is irrelevant at this stage. So what if every single team in the league thinks that IT is a 6th man does that mean he goes to Europe because he wants to be a starter? Of course not! He might not like it but as long as he gets paid, he will live with it!
You have a point, but I think IT's ego will only allow him to talk with teams that he knows he will start on. I truly think he is that obsessed with it. Someone had a good post earlier, saying that their only problem with IT is not his height, but his lack of defense and his me first mentality. I have to agree with that 100%. Maybe if the market dictates that he will not get paid what he wants, he might come down to earth, but as of right now his head is in the clouds.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The question becomes which teams can/will pay IT 7 million a year? Which teams have the cap space and need a PG or sixth man?
That's my thought, too. And quite frankly I don't think there are that many teams who will spend that kind of money on IT. We'll know before too much longer, however.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You have a point, but I think IT's ego will only allow him to talk with teams that he knows he will start on. I truly think he is that obsessed with it. Someone had a good post earlier, saying that their only problem with IT is not his height, but his lack of defense and his me first mentality. I have to agree with that 100%. Maybe if the market dictates that he will not get paid what he wants, he might come down to earth, but as of right now his head is in the clouds.
Not without help

upload_2014-6-28_20-15-17.png

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
When Stauskas went at 8 and Payton went at 10 my thought was that Philly wanted a shooter in the backcourt with MCW who could space the floor for Noel and Embiid. I was waiting to hear that the Kings were getting Stauskas and a pair of 2nd rounders.

It made sense, Charlotte wanted a shooter so Philly would conceivably have to leapfrog them to make sure they got Nik. When word was that Payton was on the move I was pretty sure I was right only to be disappointed a bit later.

Because if the King's FO doesn't see IT as the future starter and will only retain him at $6 million or less then they obviously need a plan for a starting PG.

I would have loved Payton AND Stauskas with IT as a sixth man. It's a hell of a lot better than the very real possibility of McCallum and either McLemore it Stauskas with the other off the bench.

PDA & co chose to try and retool on the fly instead of rebuild and so now the team has no caproom or other real assets to go get another PG if Thomas does leave.

Vivek thinks he hired a GM that can think four moves ahead. One of them better be getting a quality starting PG because I thinks odds are good that IT gets offered more than $6 million per.
Part fo the plan would have to be getting something useful back in an IT sign and trade. They choked that with Reke, gave away the valuable piece to Portland, took on an overrated one. But for a team with as few valuable assets, I would think an Isaiah sign and trade might actually be an important part of further retooling strategy.

You've got:

Cousins/?
?/Evans/Acy
Gay/?
Stauskas/?
?/McCallum

then assets, some almost more negative than positive:
JT
Landry
Ben
IT sign and trade
Williams (ender)
Terry (ender)
MLE

using every bit of that you might still be able to restructure if not actually greatly improve the roster. But I don't think we can, or are, intending to let any of it walk away for free.

Last edited:
An IT sign and trade probably leaves this team with less overall talent than before this draft. How did the Tyreke for Vasquez trade work out? The best option is to sign him for a reasonable amount. The Kings took Stauskas because of his outside shot and playmaking ability, similar skills to Thomas. The Kings want multiple guys with those skills, so unless they totally luck out with the team that Thomas goes to in a sign and trade, they probably end up with no net gain in those areas.

They choked that with Reke, gave away the valuable piece to Portland, took on an overrated one.
This was the first sign that PDA has no desire to have a traditional front court. Most of us missed this tell, including myself. At this point, if we pick up a defensive big to pair with Cuz, I'd be pleasantly surprised. But I don't expect it. They want a athletes and shooters. Big bodies is not a high priority.

Ok, so if IT gets an 8 mil offer from a team with cap room, I would suggest that
A: We do a sign and trade for a defensive PF
B: We match the 8 mil so we dont loose him for -0-, Then Trade him this summer
or Before the trade deadline for a defensive PF

C: We do a trade of JT/Landry and Terry for a starting PG

Just dont let him go for nothing!!!!!!!!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This was the first sign that PDA has no desire to have a traditional front court. Most of us missed this tell, including myself. At this point, if we pick up a defensive big to pair with Cuz, I'd be pleasantly surprised. But I don't expect it. They want a athletes and shooters. Big bodies is not a high priority.
Unless you want to count Sim Bhullar, that is.

Part fo the plan would have to be getting something useful back in an IT sign and trade. They choked that with Reke, gave away the valuable piece to Portland, took on an overrated one. But for a team with as few valuable assets, I would think an Isaiah sign and trade might actually be an important part of further retooling strategy.

You've got:

Cousins/?
?/Evans/Acy
Gay/?
Stauskas/?
?/McCallum

then assets, some almost more negative than positive:
JT
Landry
Ben
IT sign and trade
Williams (ender)
Terry (ender)
MLE

using every bit of that you might still be able to restructure if not actually greatly improve the roster. But I don't think we can, or are, intending to let any of it walk away for free.
can you really say the choked because they clearly said they wanted a pass first point guard. hence all the players they tried to sign last offseason. calderon, iggy.

Ok, so if IT gets an 8 mil offer from a team with cap room, I would suggest that
A: We do a sign and trade for a defensive PF
B: We match the 8 mil so we dont loose him for -0-, Then Trade him this summer
or Before the trade deadline for a defensive PF

C: We do a trade of JT/Landry and Terry for a starting PG

Just dont let him go for nothing!!!!!!!!!
A: don't the other team have to have a defensive PF to S&T?

B: really? thats alot of jack for a small investment.

C: that's probably the most logical thing is to dump contracts for picks. package those picks to move up in the draft if there is a PG we like.

we were mislead. their idea of a good defense is a good offense nellie style

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Likewise, VF!!1 Trying to navigate this new format. Thus far, I'm flopping all over the place like Vlad. Gotta figure out how to PM. Wanna drop in and say hi.
PMs are now called "conversations"... You can open one with someone by clicking on their name. A window will open up with all their profile information, etc. and one option includes "start a conversation." It then creates a private ongoing thread between you and whomever it is you wish to conversate with. ;)

I like the pick if nothing else is taken into account. Stauskas is a great shooter(both spot up and off the dribble), has a very good handle, good court vision, plays with a swagger and apparently is a gym rat. Just blows my mind that leading up to the draft we were speculated to be trading for picks, veterans, second round picks, yet we end up doing nothing. So many unanswered questions with this team that I thought would begin to be answered tonight.

Does this mean IT is coming back?
What happens to McLemore?
Frontcourt help?
Defensive coach that is loaded with offensive weapons?
Is there a rift between coach and GM?
i feel the same. we'll see, i guess

it's their execution that's been problematic. many at kf.com were not fans of picking ben mclemore 7th last offseason. now, in an apparent attempt to correct that obvious mistake, the front office has drafted yet another SG with a duplicative skill set. yes, nik stauskas is a superior ball handler when compared to ben mclemore, but, statistically, they had very similar freshman seasons, and both of them figure to impact the game at the nba level in very similar ways should they achieve their potential...

unfortunately, there are consequences to that redundancy: 1) it drives the price down for ben mclemore in any subsequent trades, and 2) it increases the urgency to potentially overpay isaiah thomas, otherwise the kings are left with only ray mccallum at PG. i maintain that drafting a guy like elfrid payton or trading the 8th pick for veteran help were vastly preferable options to picking up another SG (the least essential position in the contemporary nba, in my opinion) who can't play defense. hell, a veteran dead-eye SG like anthony morrow could be had on the cheap in free agency this offseason, likely for less than the MLE...
They're nothing alike, IMO. but i do agree with the redundancy in terms of them playing the same position,
and being around the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.