GAME THREAD: California Classic Day 2: Sacramento Kings vs. Bay Area Scum, 8 PM PST, 11 PM EST

Favorite moment of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagley shouldn’t be posting up until he can use both hands. It’s incredibly easy to defend. Even with his athleticism. He really should only be posting up if he has a mouse in the house.

He should be 1) primarily facing up where he can take his man off the dribble or rise up and shoot a jump shot or 2) as a roll man in the pick and roll.

He’ll also get buckets by running in transition, putbacks, and spot ups but in half court sets, he should be either facing up or play the roll man.

Having said all of that, summer league is often used for players to work on their weaknesses. We saw this with Cauley-Stein when the coach was essentially making him the focal point of the offense.

Lastly, Bagley has had 1 practice. There’s no way he fully knows the offensive sets yet. Considering that, the post up is one of the most simple offensive sets (which is a reason why it’s so inefficient these days) which may be why we’re seeing them go to it so often in these summer league games.

I'm not worried about anything besides Mason's ability to run an offense. Harry & Bagley weren't put into a good spot frequently, JJ did his best Rudy hero ball because of the lack of flow so he scored a lot.
It’s gotten to the point now when I see Mason with the ball in his hands with 7-10 seconds left, I know what’s going to happen...he’s taking a shot. He just seems like he’s out there to get his.

Bagley shouldn’t be posting up until he can use both hands. It’s incredibly easy to defend. Even with his athleticism. He really should only be posting up if he has a mouse in the house.

He should be 1) primarily facing up where he can take his man off the dribble or rise up and shoot a jump shot or 2) as a roll man in the pick and roll.

He’ll also get buckets by running in transition, putbacks, and spot ups but in half court sets, he should be either facing up or play the roll man.

Having said all of that, summer league is often used for players to work on their weaknesses. We saw this with Cauley-Stein when the coach was essentially making him the focal point of the offense.

Lastly, Bagley has had 1 practice. There’s no way he fully knows the offensive sets yet. Considering that, the post up is one of the most simple offensive sets (which is a reason why it’s so inefficient these days) which may be why we’re seeing them go to it so often in these summer league games.
I really hope the FO doesn't try to make Bagley into something he's not... look at them with Willie. Bagley needs to be put in PnR/PnP. Bagley is not a shot creator, I don't even know why someone tried to argue with me on this. He looks so uncomfortable because the team is asking him to create his own shot. He's just not there yet. Let's just focus on the things that he's already good at, and then build from there.

Not a fan of that Bags-Giles pairing. Neither can shoot 3s consistently which leads to no floor spacing. Both also struggle on the defensive boards, more Giles than Bagley.

For all the crap WCS gets, he's going to be our best big man entering the season.

No it’s called being realistic. Do you really think Bagley will be called upon to shoot 6 3’s a game in a real game? He had one good game and one bad one. They pushed him out of his comfort zone in game 2 and Bell played pretty good defense.

It will be interesting how he looks in game 3. Personally I want a struggle game to push him to work in his right hand, work on his shot.
Where did u get 6 3s from?

I’d like to see some staggered double screens set by both Bagley and Giles with Fox coming off of them and Hield and Bogdan spotting up. You have 1 of Giles and Bagley pop for a 3pter and the other roll for a lob.
Huh? Who has the ball in this set. Typically when you are running through staggered screens aren’t you off the ball?

Not a fan of that Bags-Giles pairing. Neither can shoot 3s consistently which leads to no floor spacing. Both also struggle on the defensive boards, more Giles than Bagley.

For all the crap WCS gets, he's going to be our best big man entering the season.
As a 4 year vet I think he will be but WCS doesn’t shoot the three either. I think Giles is a better rebounder than what we have seen. He is spending a lot of time trying to cover for defensive breakdowns.

As a 4 year vet I think he will be but WCS doesn’t shoot the three either. I think Giles is a better rebounder than what we have seen. He is spending a lot of time trying to cover for defensive breakdowns.
I think you’ve seen why instead of looking for the Giles paradise, it’s easier to appreciate what the Kings do have - Fox/Buddy/Bogdan etc

I think you’ve seen why instead of looking for the Giles paradise, it’s easier to appreciate what the Kings do have - Fox/Buddy/Bogdan etc
Perhaps both are possible. If have seen a lot of things I really like about Giles game that projects to the next level.
1) He’s very aware defensively and has covered for numerous defensive breakdowns.
2) that little Kosta flip shot on the pick and roll looked very nice. If he can do that he will be a hard cover on the roll. Kosta’s flip and WCS’s ability to catch and finish will be a tough cover.
3) not sure on his stroke yet but game one was promising.

Add a pick and pop to his ability to roll and Bogi running the pick and I’m still very excited about what we shall see.

One thing lost from last season was Willie attempting 3's towards the end of the season. Think he hit a couple.

Like him or not, Willie seems to have been doing what he has been asked to do from the jump. I wonder, if instead of defense and rebounding, if he has been working on his range. Right or wrong, if that's what the coach and FO are asking of him, color me intrigued.

One thing lost from last season was Willie attempting 3's towards the end of the season. Think he hit a couple.

Like him or not, Willie seems to have been doing what he has been asked to do from the jump. I wonder, if instead of defense and rebounding, if he has been working on his range. Right or wrong, if that's what the coach and FO are asking of him, color me intrigued.
Not slamming WCS but in the second half of the season he attempted .1 three point shots at a rate of 20%.

Skal attempted 1.6 shots and hit 30.6 percent which was better than Mason. While Skal clearly has his issues and needs to get stronger he is a good complement to Giles.

What's with all the hot takes after 2 games 206? Giles has rebounded at every level so lets give him some time. In the first game, he hardly had any rebounds even bounce his way. The second game he had more opportunities but blew a couple of them or got to them at the same time as Mason and just let Mason have it.

It's not like the Kings have been massively out rebounded or have given up a ton of offensive boards to the opponents. The rebounding numbers are a little strange but lets get past the small sample size and see what happens through tomorrow and Vegas before we start questioning things too harshly.

Giles' shot looks much more impressive than I expected. He missed a bunch yesterday but most of them were end of shot clock desperation shots or heaves from half court and even those were close to going in. Bagley has me much more concerned with all those air balls but I don't expect either guy to shoot well from 3 this season. It's going to take time to develop so there may be a lot of missed shots this year but those missed shots can develop into made shots when they count in a couple years if these guys get the experience out there.

What's with all the hot takes after 2 games 206? Giles has rebounded at every level so lets give him some time. In the first game, he hardly had any rebounds even bounce his way. The second game he had more opportunities but blew a couple of them or got to them at the same time as Mason and just let Mason have it.

It's not like the Kings have been massively out rebounded or have given up a ton of offensive boards to the opponents. The rebounding numbers are a little strange but lets get past the small sample size and see what happens through tomorrow and Vegas before we start questioning things too harshly.

Giles' shot looks much more impressive than I expected. He missed a bunch yesterday but most of them were end of shot clock desperation shots or heaves from half court and even those were close to going in. Bagley has me much more concerned with all those air balls but I don't expect either guy to shoot well from 3 this season. It's going to take time to develop so there may be a lot of missed shots this year but those missed shots can develop into made shots when they count in a couple years if these guys get the experience out there.
I just believe if a player is going to get praise when he does good, he also deserves criticism when he does bad. After 1 SL, people were coming out like they were right about Giles all along.

I know it's only SL. I actually care much less about Giles than I do Bagley anyways.

Here’s the most important thing after 2 games in SL.....Giles and Bagley are not Thomas Robinson.
Exactly. Both look like NBA players with a ton of talent. Where eventually they fit within a winning team concept - who knows? Both are unconventional and the game is quickly changing for front court players. And bigs take a long time to develop. These two look like they are worth the investment.

Exactly. Both look like NBA players with a ton of talent. Where eventually they fit within a winning team concept - who knows? Both are unconventional and the game is quickly changing for front court players. And bigs take a long time to develop. These two look like they are worth the investment.
Nba player can finish going right and left

Status
Not open for further replies.