GAME THREAD: California Classic Day 2: Sacramento Kings vs. Bay Area Scum, 8 PM PST, 11 PM EST

Favorite moment of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagley with a horrid performance. I was hoping more of the same from last night.
That would have given me a least a sliver of hope.

Teams have the film on him now. One hand dominant, not a good passer, will have a harder time rebounding against these monster big men in the NBA, zero perimeter game and abysmal d.

He has a lot to work on the next 3 months. Tonite was a reality check.

Sorry, I don’t see anything special, yet.
I see high energy, good attitude and fearless. But I am not it seeing the talent align with that. Yet.

If this is any Indication. Joerger is still starting Randolph next season.
6 assists total from the starting 5
7 threes from two bigs and maybe 2 pick and rolls
Horrible ball movement.
4-26 from three

It was a pretty offensive display of offense.

I don’t know whether the lack of any semblance of an offense was on the point guards or the coaches. But boy was it ugly. Hard to blame that entire crap show on Bagley.

psst....Luka Doncic is 19 years old and a pretty polished basketball player. With that said, yep Marvin has work to do. At this point he's a high energy big that needs a playmaker to work with.
Doncic has played professionally more years than Bagley played high school varsity and college. You could well be correct but it’s way way to early to be passing judgements.

For Sactown people:

- At draft, "too many ball handlers" was the line against Luka given to Fan-Fave Dave

- Tonight, "No De'aaron Fox" was the excuse for the terrible offensive sets and execution by Grunt Napear.

I don't think Mason is a bad PG. Figure out what is wrong here.

Doncic has played professionally more years than Bagley played high school varsity and college. You could well be correct but it’s way way to early to be passing judgements.
Of course it's too early but I'm saying he is the exact same age, both just turned 19 and Doncic is already well rounded basketball player. Does that mean in 3-4 years Bagley could have leaped over him, sure, it's a possibility.

psst....Luka Doncic is 19 years old and a pretty polished basketball player. With that said, yep Marvin has work to do. At this point he's a high energy big that needs a playmaker to work with.
Luka hasn't played one second of NBA basketball. Please don't even bring him up until he proves himself there. Nobody said Marvin was a finished product, but what was said is that he's arguably the most NBA ready player in the lottery and has the highest ceiling. If he improves his defense, off-hand, and polishes up the rest of his game, he's an All-Star.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For Sactown people:

- At draft, "too many ball handlers" was the line against Luka given to Fan-Fave Dave

- Tonight, "No De'aaron Fox" was the excuse for the terrible offensive sets and execution by Grunt Napear.

I think what was wrong here is that you were watching a summer league team that has basically never played together, composed of a guy trying to cement a backup PG job, two rookies in their second-ever professional game, one inconsistent second-year player, and a bunch of scrubs likely never to see an NBA minute and you expected good offensive sets.

Gotta agree with Grant and Doug. The pace of the game is totally different without Fox out there.
At the game the kings looked flat, ball movement seemed poor or forced. No flow to the game at all. I missed a good portion of the third had to take care of something though.

For Sactown people:

Well, for one thing , I’m not sure anyone was making comments based on how guys would fit in with the summer league team. Come on man. It’s the second game of summer league, back to back, with little practice. I’m not making excuses, but also not getting too high or low over summer league.

I don't like what I see from Frank Mason.....at all.... It'll be a fatal error to go into the szn with him as the backup. It's my top concern. Much worse than if they run Justin Jackson out there as the starting SF.

The Kings looked positively ordinary. I hate to do this, but Golden State played some pretty great defense. They haven't had any fancy draft picks lately but even their summer league team can play. This should be a wake up call. Three of the Kings likely starting players were on the floor last night and could not get their offense in gear against the GS summer league team. Back to reality folks. The Kings have a long road ahead of them.

The Kings looked positively ordinary. I hate to do this, but Golden State played some pretty great defense. They haven't had any fancy draft picks lately but even their summer league team can play. This should be a wake up call. Three of the Kings likely starting players were on the floor last night and could not get their offense in gear against the GS summer league team. Back to reality folks. The Kings have a long road ahead of them.
The Warriors have done an excellent job seeking risk/reward at the end of these drafts and have hit on many of them. I knew they were gonna take Jacob Evans when they were on the clock, he'll be groomed as Iguodala's eventual replacement. Tough athletic kid who can do a bit of everything.

The big kid they took in the 1st who's been injured from Vanderbilt played very well last night, Damian Jones. He's a big body, shade under 7' but strong and athletic and has some skill.

Jordan Bell is tough as nails.

The Kings are just knocking the dust and training wheels off. It'll take some time, luckily the season is far away.

Bagley and Giles are light vs certain NBA lineups it's far from ideal, their willing to trade this off for the ability to run - so fox's presence is a crucial component and ya shouldn't judge these guys when they play without him, Mason is a MAJOR downgrade...

Kings will probably sign a couple players before the season starts: IT, Capela, Hood., Parker, Levine, etc. Who Knows.

But, I am pretty sure Joerger is still going to start a vet heavy lineup.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Warriors have done an excellent job seeking risk/reward at the end of these drafts and have hit on many of them. I knew they were gonna take Jacob Evans when they were on the clock, he'll be groomed as Iguodala's eventual replacement. Tough athletic kid who can do a bit of everything.

The big kid they took in the 1st who's been injured from Vanderbilt played very well last night, Damian Jones. He's a big body, shade under 7' but strong and athletic and has some skill.

Jordan Bell is tough as nails.

The Kings are just knocking the dust and training wheels off. It'll take some time, luckily the season is far away.

Bagley and Giles are light vs certain NBA lineups it's far from ideal, their willing to trade this off for the ability to run - so fox's presence is a crucial component and ya shouldn't judge these guys when they play without him, Mason is a MAJOR downgrade...
I think Mason will look better playing next to a guy like Bogdan, who can take more of the facilitator duties while Mason can be his usual mighty mouse self.

u don’t give a number 2 pick time. He needs to contribute. Bell exposed him big time.
It's not like it's the first time Marvin's had a bad game. I thought UVA's DeAndre Hunter who figures to go high in next years draft did quite a number on him.

Perhaps it's the first time you were exposed to this possibility, but that game far from exposes him. There's a comical list of Summer league outliers good and bad, this isn't the best setting to evaluate talent, it's more about going thru the motions and getting acclimated for those with guaranteed deals..

u don’t give a number 2 pick time. He needs to contribute. Bell exposed him big time.
I like Jordan Bell, even chose him in a mock draft. Bell is 23 years old and played 3 seasons with the Oregon Ducks. He is bench player on the Champs with a year of NBA experience under the tutelage of Draymond Green. Draymond is Pro's pro who learned his craft under Andrew Bogut. Jordan's role for GSW is to come in for spot minutes to defend and rebound.

MB3 was on the second night of a back to back playing summer league for his first NBA experience. he is 19 years old and his birthday was in march. he played one year of college ball. His role in the NBA is yet to be defined. Reports say he will be a starter and play 30+ minutes.

Lets give these two players another year then revisit this conversation, OK?

I like Jordan Bell, even chose him in a mock draft. Bell is 23 years old and played 3 seasons with the Oregon Ducks. He is bench player on the Champs with a year of NBA experience under the tutelage of Draymond Green. Draymond is Pro's pro who learned his craft under Andrew Bogut. Jordan's role for GSW is to come in for spot minutes to defend and rebound.

MB3 was on the second night of a back to back playing summer league for his first NBA experience. he is 19 years old and his birthday was in march. he played one year of college ball. His role in the NBA is yet to be defined. Reports say he will be a starter and play 30+ minutes.

Lets give these two players another year then revisit this conversation, OK?
And then your position will be but MB3 just had one year and Bell 3. That’s called Grantsplaining.

And then your position will be but MB3 just had one year and Bell 3. That’s called Grantsplaining.
No it’s called being realistic. Do you really think Bagley will be called upon to shoot 6 3’s a game in a real game? He had one good game and one bad one. They pushed him out of his comfort zone in game 2 and Bell played pretty good defense.

It will be interesting how he looks in game 3. Personally I want a struggle game to push him to work in his right hand, work on his shot.

Giles and Bagley got destroyed by both of Golden State's defenders. You'd think Bagley would be able to finish over guys with that vertical leap he has but he doesn't seem to get a ton of lift a lot of the time and that's why he got smushed in the paint so much.

Weird game where in game 1, everyone other than Jackson played well and in game 2, only Jackson played well.

I just feel bad for the people who heard about how awesome game 1 was and then scrounged to get tickets for game 2. That was easily the worst basketball game I've ever seen in person.

Well, for one thing , I’m not sure anyone was making comments based on how guys would fit in with the summer league team. Come on man. It’s the second game of summer league, back to back, with little practice. I’m not making excuses, but also not getting too high or low over summer league.

Since both replies had the same take: This isn't a SL only problem. The offense stagnates and puts very little pressure on the defense. The Warriors were a SL team too and with less NBA experience on it, yet they ran a system that got them looks.

Giles and Bagley got destroyed by both of Golden State's defenders. You'd think Bagley would be able to finish over guys with that vertical leap he has but he doesn't seem to get a ton of lift a lot of the time and that's why he got smushed in the paint so much.

Weird game where in game 1, everyone other than Jackson played well and in game 2, only Jackson played well.

I just feel bad for the people who heard about how awesome game 1 was and then scrounged to get tickets for game 2. That was easily the worst basketball game I've ever seen in person.
You’re not exaggerating, it was torture after awhile and washed up Lil John made it worse playing other artists radio hits, he could’ve stayed home with that.

I'm not worried about anything besides Mason's ability to run an offense. Harry & Bagley weren't put into a good spot frequently, JJ did his best Rudy hero ball because of the lack of flow so he scored a lot.

To not let the negativity take over, here are my thoughts on what was encouraging:

- Bagleys mindset: Didnt get frustrated, didnt argue with the refs, but didnt hang his head or disappeared and kept an alpha dog aggressive mindset. Talent flashes are still there. I like that the opponents are already exposing his lack of right hand. He needs to realize as soon as possible that he has to work on that. Was very active on defense. Had one very good off ball rotation to prevent a layup. Only credited for 2 blocks, I counted at least 4. With 8:15 had a very impresive block on the post player, got the rebound, dribbled it down the court, took his defender of the dribble for an and-one. Yeesh.

- JJ showing some life! Coudnt miss today

- Gabriel sighting: Thought he looked very comfortable moving on the perimeter. Nice defensive instincts. Shot looked good although he missed it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.