Free Agency Thread - 2018

I'd offer him 13mil a year if that's what it took to pry him away.

I don't think people realize how different the defense would be with him and Giles on the court together. These two guys could change the defensive outlook for the next handful of years for the Kings. Two junkyard dogs shutting the opposition down and holding their teammates defense accountable at all times. I really believe that signing him would transform the team unlike any other free agent currently available. A lot of these guys are projected to be solid offensive players but only Fox, Giles and WCS are projected as good defenders. The Kings need more on that side of the ball.

He's a bad shooter but he is improving each year, albeit in small increments. He fills two massive needs for us. He would be the best defender on the team and adds another solid play maker. His shooting will hold the offense back a bit but his passing will help some of these other players develop their skills. If Mason goes into the season playing anything like he is here in SL, he's going to hold back everyone on the court with him and I don't want to see that.

He defends 1-3 and even 4's depending on the match up. His defensive stats would look even better if he just got to defend his normal position like most players do but they normally stick him on the opposing teams best player. Ive also been checking out this CARMELO projection site and he would project to be our best player.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/marcus-smart/

Doubt the Kings even have the foresight to make a play like this anyway. Seems like they have elementary school level player analysis going on in the front office.

I love Capela, I really do. But I just think investing a giant contract into him screws up our best chance of getting good (Bagley/Giles getting really, really good) for the long-term. The next 2 years should be solely about developing Fox/Bogdan/Buddy/Giles/Bagley core and putting the right pieces around them to make them better.

Marcus Smart fits that bill to a T. He's got multi-positional versatility, he's instantly our best defender and he just makes his team better. Kind of stunning that for how bad of an offensive scorer/shooter he is, he's still makes his teams offense better.

I'd throw all the money we just did at Lavine right to Smart. That'd put insane pressure on the Celtics to match and we'd get a player for 4 years who would actively help our core develop and be better.
Not sure Marcus would make the Kings better. He works in Boston because they put the ball in his hands and surround him with 3 point shooters. Horford, Tatum, Rosier and Brown all shoot the 3 well. The Kings bigs do not at this time shoot the 3 ball well and all of them function best in the post.

The points Marcus does get are often gotten posting him up against smaller guards and then kicking the ball out when help comes. The problem with signing a Stevens player is they often aren’t nearly as effective unless you can use them like Brad does. We can’t. We don’t have the same shooting bigs.

You don't go after a guy like Smart because of his offense. That's an afterthought with him as far as I am concerned. This is a guy who can defend at the highest of levels, be a glue guy, and do anything that the team needs him to do. He's a leader by example and still plenty young enough to fit with us. He could take these young kids and help point them in the right direction. Not only that, but with Giles demonstrating similar qualities and legitimate toughness, we would suddenly be a team that bullies people back, instead of being bent over a barrel like we have been the last few years.

With LaVine officially a Bull, it's time to focus our efforts elsewhere. Marcus Smart is where I would spend my money now. Offer him 3 years 36-40 million and call it a day. It's double of what the Celtics could offer him and the market is mighty thin.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The 10 -15 million price tag seems right for Smart. I would think Boston would feel the pain. There's no way I offer 20 mill for a guy who can't shoot, unless he's someone like Mutombo.

If Kings go after Capela, there has got to be a WCS trade in the works, and it sure would be nice if it involved a SF and a backup point guard who could pass the ball.

The 10 -15 million price tag seems right for Smart. I would think Boston would feel the pain. There's no way I offer 20 mill for a guy who can't shoot, unless he's someone like Mutombo.

If Kings go after Capela, there has got to be a WCS trade in the works, and it sure would be nice if it involved a SF and a backup point guard who could pass the ball.
I am unsure Smart would sign with us even if he were to earn 5-10 more annually. It is possible that Boston has more or less spelled out the fact that they want him and will give him a better deal the following summer when Kyrie leaves for NY. Who knows, but I just don't see Smart wanting to play for the Kings.

I think the Rockets are bluffing about doing what ever it takes to resign Capela. They would have offered him the qualifying offer or extension already. If Kings offer 4/80, I doubt Houston matches. They are way over the salary cap already.

I am unsure Smart would sign with us even if he were to earn 5-10 more annually. It is possible that Boston has more or less spelled out the fact that they want him and will give him a better deal the following summer when Kyrie leaves for NY. Who knows, but I just don't see Smart wanting to play for the Kings.
Everything I've heard is that Smart is very unhappy with Ainge and how he's been treated. If Sacto shows him the love ($), he might jump at the chance.

I think the Rockets are bluffing about doing what ever it takes to resign Capela. They would have offered him the qualifying offer or extension already. If Kings offer 4/80, I doubt Houston matches. They are way over the salary cap already.
It is intriguing. As you say, it means WCS has to be traded. Also, that MBIII can eventually play the 3. Alternatively, is Capela a good enough asset to collect now and look to flip in a year or two when his contract looks more favorable (or just keep if Bagley or Giles don’t mature fast enough). It’s the strategy I think Vlade was trying to take with George Hill, except his play killed any trade value. We all know the draft is the primary path to build.a team for the Kings. Free agents aren’t flocking here. Maybe we don’t get picky on fit and just stockpile assets that way and sort it out later. It is a dangerous game to play however because you risk getting on the hook for an untradeable contract. I think Capella has the raw talent to potentially be worth it. If we are going to throw more money around, I’d rather go there than Parker (....I don’t think he’s a 3 after his injuries). .

The Rockets are just trying to be as cheap as possible on Capela. I think the other teams know this and won't bother courting Capela just to cap strap Houston.

I don't see how another big makes sense for the Kings either. You have five bigs now, but they may be splitting time pretty evenly with one losing out. Capela will want 25-30 minutes and it's not like Joerger is known to sit his vets if they produce.

The Kings have 3 pt shooters. Buddy, Bogdan and Temple can all shoot.

Smart somehow creates offense despite his unreliable shot.
That's only 3 shooters.. and longterm, we only have 2. Not enough shooting at all. Smart would be our bench player.

Fox -nonshooter
Buddy
Bogdan
Bagley -nonshooter
WCS/Giles -nonshooters

I think Giles will develop a reliable outside shot. You can already see it in summer league. Fox needs to develop his shot regardless of who is at SF.

And I agree that the offensive concerns are missing the point. Two defensive players will create the stops/turnovers that get Fox and the rest into the open court. As soon as the Kings take the ball out after a made basket, it's slow horns offense that results in tough shots against any average or better defense.

Everything I've heard is that Smart is very unhappy with Ainge and how he's been treated. If Sacto shows him the love ($), he might jump at the chance.
I read they are letting him find his market value then will match. No need bidding against yourself. They can afford that luxury.

I don't see any decent SF options left and Smart would add a dimension we lack. I hate his shooting percentages and shot selection, but he I would love to see the Kings with some high end defenders and he is certainly that.

That's only 3 shooters.. and longterm, we only have 2. Not enough shooting at all. Smart would be our bench player.

Fox -nonshooter
Buddy
Bogdan
Bagley -nonshooter
WCS/Giles -nonshooters
Also Buddy and Bogdan are both 2 guards. You have to have a stretch 4. If we had Parker at the 4, Giles with an improved shot and Skal continued to develop then Smart might be a decent 3rd Guard off the bench.

But right now he doesn’t seem like a great fit, so adding him to the Kings would hurt his game. Chicago with LM and other shooters would be a better fit for Smart.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Given the horrid market conditions any chance we could get both Smart and Parker? I imagine making the move for Smart and then perhaps Parker in a S&T for WCS? Of course also pursue WCS for Oubre or something. Or look for a SF in a salary shed deal.

In either event, I feel like even if we have interest in Parker given how things have broken down with the Bucks he should be the last move not the first.

I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me..regardless I share the belief we need to strike this year not wait till next when many other teams have the cash.

I was fine with LaVine, seems he was not feeling the Chicago love and was happy to be a King. Smart should give us more credibility. He's tough as at 3 positions and can erase any concerns about Mason leading the team.

I would love to pry a SF from the Wiz or work a deal for Covington if Kawhi is in the 76ers plans. Parker concerns a bit with fit and injury history but not totally closed to him being a King. No more old stops but action please.

Why would the Wizards currently want WCS if they have Dwight/Mahemhi unless they are trying to unload Mahemhi contract? They lack deoth on the wing after Otto they got plenty of bigs.

Dwight regardless of the locker room issues @5-7million per is way better than WCS even if he gave all the money back and played for free.

I love smarts defense, hes one of the best. but his shooting is so frustrating.
i had him on my fantasy squad last year, and he literally goes 3-12 like every game.
Thankfully basketball is played on the court not on the internet otherwise when we had Cousins/IT/Rudy we would have been championship contenders.