Free Agency Thread - 2018

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
The Toronto Raptors are working out free agent big men, including Thomas Robinson and Christian Wood, according to league sources.

Big market must be pretty bad if these are the top choices.

Hey toronto you know who has some available bigs (for trade)?
I also read they were after Greg Monroe not sure why they would not go after Trevor Booker instead over Robinson if they are trying to win.

With the signing of Love, the Cavs are over the cap. The Kings should make an offer on Hood.
I think you can go over the cap to match a RFA offer sheet or resign your own player to a contract, you have to be under the cap to make an offer sheet to a RFA. Cavs say they will match and they are still 14 mil under the luxury tax, so no issue there

Also we have 16 contracts already, we signed Beli , why do we need Rodney?

I think you can go over the cap to match a RFA offer sheet or resign your own player to a contract, you have to be under the cap to make an offer sheet to a RFA. Cavs say they will match and they are still 14 mil under the luxury tax, so no issue there

Thanks for the cap info. We need Hood because Beli is more of a 4/3, Hood more of a 3/2. Cavs would probably match, but you never know until you actually know.

I suppose we could offer 10.9m 2-3 yrs , which is more than the "Reasonable offer" Hood wants from cavs, but Cavs would prob still match
If not we end up with 17 contracts and would have to trade or waive Ben and Davis costing us another 7 mil? thats a lot of money for Hood.

Cleveland really can't afford to lose any Talent at this point. Unless it's for ending contracts. A hefty offer for hood that they aren't likely to be able to match could facilitate a sign-and-trade in which we dump some ending contracts, but I'm not sure if it's worth risking next year's flexibility.

Yeah, the only correction I would make is on going over the cap to sign your own player. That would only apply if you hold his Bird rights, which you can inherit in a trade, or if you've had him under contract for three years or more. There's also the mini-Bird exception, but it's more limited. What you can't do is sign a player to a one year deal, allow him to become an unrestricted freeagent, and then go over the cap to resign him. He wouldn't fall under the Bird exception. However, you do have the 8 mil mid level exception once your over the cap, but only for the amount of the exception.

An example might be Cousins, who signed a one year contract with the Warriors for around 5 mil. That contract will be up next season and the Warriors won't be able to go over the cap to resign Cousins if he wants a max deal.

Cavs waived Okaro White.

Cavs just got sam dekker without sending out any players (2.76 M) and with Nwaba, that is the addition of two new wings. Does this influence R. Hood situation?

They absorded salary with trade exemption. Wow, Dekker was only 16% from 3 last year.

Last edited:
Cavs waived Okaro White.

Cavs just got sam dekker without sending out any players (2.76 M) and with Nwaba, that is the addition of two new wings. Does this influence R. Hood situation?

They absorded salary with trade exemption. Wow, Dekker was only 16% from 3 last year.
I hope we at least offer something if we haven't already. Can't believe he's still unsigned till now and we're the only ones that can afford him!

Geez Vlade this is being handed to you by the basketball gods.. TAKE IT!

Cavs waived Okaro White.

If we don't sign Sampson and he refuses the two way deal I would give it to Okaro White he's a similar sort pf player same energy toughness athletic ability (really want Jakarr back).

Jamal Crawford is still unsigned. Id explore cutting Ben loose and bringing in Jamal to strengthen our bench.

Buddy to be moved into the starting unit and Jamal to be the leader of our bench

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jamal Crawford is still unsigned. Id explore cutting Ben loose and bringing in Jamal to strengthen our bench.

Buddy to be moved into the starting unit and Jamal to be the leader of our bench
No, no ... a thousand times no. NO MORE veterans brought in to shore up our bench or anything else. Leader of the bench? This season may be painful especially at the start but we've come too far to wuss out now. We need to go with what we've got just to see what we've got.

No, no ... a thousand times no. NO MORE veterans brought in to shore up our bench or anything else. Leader of the bench? This season may be painful especially at the start but we've come too far to wuss out now. We need to go with what we've got just to see what we've got.
A million thumbs up X a million.

If anyone thinks a rookie or young player has a shot at winning a spot over veteran players like a Zbo, Crawford, or you name it then you need to look again. Last season proved that for this franchise it's an unwinnable match up apparently even when the veteran's on off stats dictate they shouldn't really even play.

And I'm concerned that the Kings haven't cut Ben yet regardless. I still think in the right scenario he has upside, but if this becomes a merry go round for 3 between he, Bogdan, and Buddy then you might as well just waive them all now. The Kings need to build value, not head into another year where the NBA believes that every other team has an average of 3 players better than the Kings very best. Vlade doesn't have enough decent picks to facilitate more trades, haha.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And I'm concerned that the Kings haven't cut Ben yet regardless. I still think in the right scenario he has upside, but if this becomes a merry go round for 3 between he, Bogdan, and Buddy then you might as well just waive them all now.
What's the rush? Training camp hasn't even started. This isn't to say that I think Ben is going to be a big contributor for us this year, but as long as we have a roster spot and we have to pay him, why not keep him around? We can cut him if and when it becomes necessary, and if we don't cut him he could potentially be useful expiring salary in a trade, even if he never sees the floor.

Obviously since we have 16 players under contract by the end of training camp somebody (Deyonta Davis, come on down!) is going to have to be cut, but there's literally no rush. We gain nothing by doing it now, and have at least marginal benefits for waiting until needed to cut him. If he were a locker room cancer and we just needed him to GO AWAY that would be one thing, but I've never seen a media report that suggested Ben was anything other than a really nice, sweet, quiet guy in the locker room.

Id like Crawford as leader of the bench with Buddy moving into the starting line up. As former 6th man of the year he is still instant offense and a great mentor. We need a bit of experience and bench offense for our playoff run which whilst instigated fully through the hands of our youth will require certain vet leadership and production.

We have these off the bench that we can play at SG
Hield unless he starts
Yogi
Ben?

I’d absolutely go with Yogi for those times we go small and it also frees up some time for Mason at PG. Hield at Bogi at the 2 will eat up a lot of minutes.

What's the rush? Training camp hasn't even started. This isn't to say that I think Ben is going to be a big contributor for us this year, but as long as we have a roster spot and we have to pay him, why not keep him around? We can cut him if and when it becomes necessary, and if we don't cut him he could potentially be useful expiring salary in a trade, even if he never sees the floor.

Obviously since we have 16 players under contract by the end of training camp somebody (Deyonta Davis, come on down!) is going to have to be cut, but there's literally no rush. We gain nothing by doing it now, and have at least marginal benefits for waiting until needed to cut him. If he were a locker room cancer and we just needed him to GO AWAY that would be one thing, but I've never seen a media report that suggested Ben was anything other than a really nice, sweet, quiet guy in the locker room.

Well, Bogdan is out now but the issue I have has been, always has been, and always will be the coach. I don't know what the heck he'll do. I wouldn't be suprised to see Ben or Iman starting, it's that random with Dave Joerger.

If anyone thinks the Shumpert isn’t getting at least 20-25 minutes, they don’t know Dave Joerger. Joerger is already gushing over him.
No way he sits on the bench. Shump will be this years Zbo. I can all but guarantee it.

Leader of our banch? Jamal is bad, bad player right now and he will not get better. It is not so much about taking minutes from better players playing his position, but also stopping ball movement and playing no defense, taking opportunity from others playing with him.

If anyone thinks the Shumpert isn’t getting at least 20-25 minutes, they don’t know Dave Joerger. Joerger is already gushing over him.
No way he sits on the bench. Shump will be this years Zbo. I can all but guarantee it.
Shump still has a lot of game left and is truly enjoying his role as a veteran presence on and off the court. He should be getting 20-25 minutes, especially with Bogi out.

Leader of our banch? Jamal is bad, bad player right now and he will not get better. It is not so much about taking minutes from better players playing his position, but also stopping ball movement and playing no defense, taking opportunity from others playing with him.
His role wouldn't be defence oriented but more so replacing the offense we would miss with hield moving into the starting lineup.

When he's taking time from Ben McLemore it really isn't an issue to me.

Williams is a good signing. He's the kind of player that two way contracts should be used on. Good athlete, and showed promise as a defender. Needs to become a consistent 3 pt shooter. Of Gabriel and Williams, I like Gabriel better, but, I'am biased in that area, so who knows.

I would not mind letting Corey Brewer have a shot at our SF spot (If Williams doesn't get a full deal) the guy last season made a pretty decent impact on the Thunder (18 games) with 10ppg 2.1spg and 3rpg the guy fits our style perfectly and shoots equally poorly as Jackson/Shump I'm actually kind of shocked no one signed him.