Welcome Devin Carter

Carter may be BPA, but on top of that, there is nothing but evidence that the Kings don't feel like they have the guards they want yet. Drafting Colby Jones, Davion, the Ford 2 way contract, trading for Duarte, the frustration with Huerter. In that context, it's not that the Kings have too many guards, it's that they can't find the ones they want to keep.

To hear the national media guys tell it, they didn't think the Kings had the guard talent solidified either. Sounds crazy when they have Monk and Fox, but when Monk went out, the season tanked. When Fox has his mid season swoon and is a mere mortal, the record reflects it too. So...maybe they are onto something.
Solid points here, except the assertion that Fox is somehow forever doomed to endure a "midseason swoon" (unless I'm reading you wrong).

That aside, I think you are on to something in your first paragraph. Part of it is the BPA mentality wrt to drafting Jones, Mitchell and now Carter, but the other moves indicate to me that they are indeed not satisfied with their depth.

This time he's not fibbing though, haha.
People are allowed to be wrong. It's part of being human.

Furthermore, it's easy to poke fun at old views through the benefit and gift of hindsight. However there was at least some rationale for why McNair believed what he believed about Davion back then and also some rationale for why he believes the same about Carter now. Time will tell, again, whether he is right or wrong.

These GM's are akin to a professional blackjack player on 3rd base. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. The key is to be armed with the most info possible then make decisions based upon the highest percentage of success.

The very best GM's might win more than they lose to the house. But they aren't the norm.

Last edited:
People are allowed to be wrong. It's part of being human.

Furthermore, it's easy to poke fun at old views through the benefit and gift of hindsight. However there was at least some rationale for why McNair believed what he believed about Davion back then and also some rationale for why he believes the same about Carter now. Time will tell, again, whether he is right or wrong.

These GM's are akin to a professional blackjack player on 3rd base. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. The key is to be armed with the most info possible then make decisions based upon the highest percentage of success.

The very best GM's win more than they lose to the house. But they aren't the norm.
And Monte was also trying to explain having 3 actual PG's to work with that didn't really compliment one another. Guess what happened? Monte took BPA and fixed it later and landed Domas. This isn't the same scenario. Fox is your PG, Monk and Carter can run point but are legit SG's. Carter is quite a bit bigger than Davion and might actually be a legit 1-4 defender like he said.

And Monte was also trying to explain having 3 actual PG's to work with that didn't really compliment one another. Guess what happened? Monte took BPA and fixed it later and landed Domas. This isn't the same scenario. Fox is your PG, Monk and Carter can run point but are legit SG's. Carter is quite a bit bigger than Davion and might actually be a legit 1-4 defender like he said.
IDK about defending 4's, but I like the optimism from McNair and Carter.

Sure, Carter might have the length and leaping ability to contest spot up shooting 4's, but defending them 101 is an entirely different thing. For instance, there are some here that believe that Domas is more a 4 than 5 because he's a tad undersized (yes, I realize his skill set doesn't fit today's standard stretch 4's) and would like to see him paired with a legit sized 5.

Does anybody really believe that Devin Carter could defend Domas? What about Karl Anthony-Towns? Or KD (when he plays there)? Or Pascal Siakam? Or Giannis? Or Zion? Or Julius Randle? Or Aaron Gordon? Or Banchero? Or JJJ?

Those are just off the top of my head.

Maybe I'm way wrong on this, as I don't profess to have seen Carter play much. But despite his long wing span and crazy athleticism, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 6-3, 200 pound guard to defend the majority of 4's in this league beyond spot shooting. But I have no problem believing he can guard a lot of 3's in the league.

Sure, Carter might have the length and leaping ability to contest spot up shooting 4's, but defending them 101 is an entirely different thing. For instance, there are some here that believe that Domas is more a 4 than 5 because he's a tad undersized (yes, I realize his skill set doesn't fit today's standard stretch 4's) and would like to see him paired with a legit sized 5.

Does anybody really believe that Devin Carter could defend Domas? What about Karl Anthony-Towns? Or KD (when he plays there)? Or Pascal Siakam? Or Giannis? Or Zion? Or Julius Randle? Or Aaron Gordon? Or Banchero? Or JJJ?

Maybe I'm way wrong on this, as I don't profess to have seen Carter play much. But despite his long wing span and crazy athleticism, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 6-3, 200 pound guard to defend the majority of 4's in this league beyond spot shooting.
We'll see. Carter has innate strength and that goes a long way. It's not the length that's the issue, it's strength. We see it all the time, strong guys with a low center of gravity can make life hell for bigger players. Obviously nobody should expect him to check physically dominant bigs, but there's not really a ton of them anyway. Lets put it this way, Brown likes to switch a lot and I think his options there just became wide open.

We'll see. Carter has innate strength and that goes a long way. It's not the length that's the issue, it's strength. We see it all the time, strong guys with a low center of gravity can make life hell for bigger players. Obviously nobody should expect him to check physically dominant bigs, but there's not really a ton of them anyway. Lets put it this way, Brown likes to switch a lot and I think his options there just became wide open.
That's basically where I was going with this. I get that he has the length and athleticism to play against larger players. I am just questioning his mere 200 pound frame and overall strength at that size.

Again, I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying the odds suggest that it isn't very likely. But Draymond Green seemed to be able to buck the odds and adequately defend a lot of 4's and 5's much bigger than him, so who knows. Perhaps Carter is cut from the same cloth only in the form of a guard.

And you are right, there aren't but 10-12 of those types of difficult PF matchups. And all Carter has to do is make it difficult when he is switched onto a larger player, hopefully with not a ton of time on the shot clock to be able to take advantage of the size difference anyway.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love this pick. I thought for sure Carter would be gone before 13 because he seems like such a sure thing in a weak draft, but I'm glad he slid.

McNair already said he'll use the rest of the off-season to try and balance the roster.

We need a second starting forward next to Keegan, some bench scoring, and an upgrade at backup center.

I definitely wouldn't mind a trade up to the top of the 2nd round to grab Filipowski.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's basically where I was going with this. I get that he has the length and athleticism to play against larger players. I am just questioning his mere 200 pound frame and overall strength at that size.

Again, I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying the odds suggest that it isn't very likely. But Draymond Green seemed to be able to buck the odds and adequately defend a lot of 4's and 5's much bigger than him, so who knows. Perhaps Carter is cut from the same cloth only in the form of a guard.

And you are right, there aren't but 10-12 of those types of difficult PF matchups. And all Carter has to do is make it difficult when he is switched onto a larger player, hopefully with not a ton of time on the shot clock to be able to take advantage of the size difference anyway.
The other thing to consider here though is that those big guys are also going to have to guard him though and that’s where Devin’s ability off-ball and as a lob threat are different from Davion coming into the league after pretty much playing the prime CP3 role in college.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Here’s Devin’s interview with KoC a few weeks ago. glad KoC mentioned his shooting stroke looking like Tyrese’s a little bit because yeah, I’m sorta wondering if this is the second stud player that Monte has been able to steal in the draft purely because some GMs out there galaxy brained themselves into thinking a guy’s shooting form is too ugly to work.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You are so nice to not name the worst offense we committed in our drafting history haha
To be fair, I don’t even think that qualifies as passing on BPA for need because big man wasn’t even that high up on our list of needs (Skal and HGIII were there, WCS still looked okay and we didn’t know Z-Bo was totally washed, and Kings legend Kosta Koufos was our starting center) when Vlade picked who he did lol

You are so nice to not name the worst offense we committed in our drafting history haha
That's why the outrage of us drafting bpa over need doesn't make any sense. Of course, Carter could bust and a wing behind him could be a major hit, but we're literally the poster franchise in all of sports about the dangers of trying to draft for fit over and over. Just passing on HoF after HoF because of it

Hi all... I'm a Providence graduate, class of 97, season ticket holder, and rabid Friar fan. I am, however, hard to please. I never loved Kris Dunn (thought he was the most overrated player in PC history), never loved Austin Croshere either (the other most recent Frair lottery pick). But Devin Carter is my all time favorite Friar. I promise you, you will never be disappointed in a single game he plays. He is the kind of guy that does everything right. He may not be an MVP, but he will be in the league 15 years and is an absolutely crucial piece to a winning franchise. Congrats. He's 110% all the time. He will absolutely be a fan favorite - everyone in Sacramento is gonna be sporting a receding hairline afro mullet by 2026

Maybe I'm way wrong on this, as I don't profess to have seen Carter play much. But despite his long wing span and crazy athleticism, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 6-3, 200 pound guard to defend the majority of 4's in this league beyond spot shooting. But I have no problem believing he can guard a lot of 3's in the league.
I’ll always point out Lu Dort. He was probably the player in the playoffs that had the most “success” guarding Luka who is top three hardest to guard in the league. He also “locked down” BI. Both of those guys have a ton of size on him. Carter has athleticism, motor and irrational confidence. I like his chances guarding way up.

I’ll always point out Lu Dort. He was probably the player in the playoffs that had the most “success” guarding Luka who is top three hardest to guard in the league. He also “locked down” BI. Both of those guys have a ton of size on him. Carter has athleticism, motor and irrational confidence. I like his chances guarding way up.
Dort has 20 pounds on Carter, but yeah, same idea.

I think these playoffs more than anything showed that having multiple elite POA defenders is the most effective way to build a defense in this league more than wing length or goalies or whatever. Kings now have four different guys (Keegs, Keon, Davion, and now Devin) who have shown various levels of being shutdown elite point of attack guys with Fox also fully capable of flipping a switch and annihilating plays POA when needed as well.
when you don't have a rim protector and aren't that big of a team as currently constructed, this is the only way I can see success on the defensive end. Get a whole bunch of annoying guard defenders with quick hands and decent length and hound for 94 feet

I expected he was going to be drafted earlier. I thought even Charlotte #6 or San Antonio #8 could be options for him. I thought with Keon he wasn't our guy but I'm happy with the pick. I preferred him to Knecht and I could see him having a important role in the playoff run next season.

I have a feeling that he is going to became the real team leader in the near future. I think he is a winner.

Hope we can add today another good piece for the team. Filipowsky, Furphy, Smith, Djurisic, Freeman, McCullar, Bona, Ighodaro, Ingram, Crawford, Mogbo... There are good options still on the board. I would trade #45 and 2025 POR 2nd to move up and draft one of the 4 first mentioned for sure. I think all them are top25 talents and Filipowski top15.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I expected he was going to be drafted earlier. I thought even Charlotte #6 or San Antonio #8 could be options for him. I thought with Keon he wasn't our guy but I'm happy with the pick. I preferred him to Knecht and I could see him having a important role in the playoff run next season.

I have a feeling that he is going to became the real team leader in the near future. I think he is a winner.

Hope we can add today another good piece for the team. Filipowsky, Furphy, Smith, Djurisic, Freeman, McCullar, Bona, Ighodaro, Ingram, Crawford, Mogbo... There are good options still on the board. I would trade #45 and 2025 POR 2nd to move up and draft one of the 4 first mentioned for sure. I think all them are top25 talents and Filipowski top15.
I wasn't high on Filipowski at #13, but as a 2nd rounder I think he's a steal, especially for the Kings. Can play a bit WITH Domas if needed, but his real value is as a floor spacing five in the second unit. Plus he can essentially run all the same actions as Sabonis. The third center on the roster needs to be a bigger bodied defender just to round things out, but I hope McNair makes a move for Flip.

Good comparison. I think after he adds some muscle and weight, he would be in the same mold of player as Lu Dort and Josh Hart who have PG/SG size but can flex up to guard the PG, SG, and SF spots on the floor.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all... I'm a Providence graduate, class of 97, season ticket holder, and rabid Friar fan. I am, however, hard to please. I never loved Kris Dunn (thought he was the most overrated player in PC history), never loved Austin Croshere either (the other most recent Frair lottery pick). But Devin Carter is my all time favorite Friar. I promise you, you will never be disappointed in a single game he plays. He is the kind of guy that does everything right. He may not be an MVP, but he will be in the league 15 years and is an absolutely crucial piece to a winning franchise. Congrats. He's 110% all the time. He will absolutely be a fan favorite - everyone in Sacramento is gonna be sporting a receding hairline afro mullet by 2026
Welcome to the forum! I'm definitely super excited to have Devin Carter as a King.

When I say Carter is a pest on defense, this UConn play is exactly what I mean. Dude somehow came over the screen and blocked the shot from behind when any other player just gives up and looks for a rebound.
It’s almost like he somehow used his great wingspan and amazing athleticism to overcome his “mediocre” standing reach. Lol

Last edited:
That's why the outrage of us drafting bpa over need doesn't make any sense. Of course, Carter could bust and a wing behind him could be a major hit, but we're literally the poster franchise in all of sports about the dangers of trying to draft for fit over and over. Just passing on HoF after HoF because of it
Irony about the outrage is most things I read from fans during last season was that the Kings were two players away. A starting wing and a starting SG. Mike Brown was way more comfortable with his forwards than his SG's. Carter could be BPA and a need.

Man, you now have me wishing I could grow afro mullet now.