Welcome Devin Carter

Memphis made this video:

Love it! New DC can learn from the OG DC. We might have a All-NBA defense talent on our hands, guys.

His wingspan helps stretch his smaller statue, he definitely plays way bigger than he is billed. I think there's a reality where he plays big minute with Monk and they gonna combust! He could eventually becomes our point-of-attack defender on the shorter players to share defensive duty with Keegan on the taller wings.

Kings fans being completely fine with adding a guard when it’s Caruso but losing their absolute crap when it’s Carter is peak Kings fan
LMFAO. This point is GOLD. I can’t believe I missed it the first time through this thread.

It adds more evidence to what I asserted regarding mainstream KINGS fans. They aren’t the most rational bunch, and often hypocritical.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Love it! New DC can learn from the OG DC. We might have a All-NBA defense talent on our hands, guys.

His wingspan helps stretch his smaller statue, he definitely plays way bigger than he is billed. I think there's a reality where he plays big minute with Monk and they gonna combust! He could eventually becomes our point-of-attack defender on the shorter players to share defensive duty with Keegan on the taller wings.
I think these playoffs more than anything showed that having multiple elite POA defenders is the most effective way to build a defense in this league more than wing length or goalies or whatever. Kings now have four different guys (Keegs, Keon, Davion, and now Devin) who have shown various levels of being shutdown elite point of attack guys with Fox also fully capable of flipping a switch and annihilating plays POA when needed as well.

Carter may be BPA, but on top of that, there is nothing but evidence that the Kings don't feel like they have the guards they want yet. Drafting Colby Jones, Davion, the Ford 2 way contract, trading for Duarte, the frustration with Huerter. In that context, it's not that the Kings have too many guards, it's that they can't find the ones they want to keep.

To hear the national media guys tell it, they didn't think the Kings had the guard talent solidified either. Sounds crazy when they have Monk and Fox, but when Monk went out, the season tanked. When Fox has his mid season swoon and is a mere mortal, the record reflects it too. So...maybe they are onto something.

Awesome. Carter was right up there on my wish list and I assumed he'd be gone.

Why is everyone saying Kings fans are upset? Is this coming from Twitter? I haven't seen any negative reaction but I avoid the cesspit that is twitter.
Because he's a guard. That's it. And the best part is we're getting pretty much universal praise for Carter as one of the best picks thus far....outside of Kings fans

Awesome. Carter was right up there on my wish list and I assumed he'd be gone.

Why is everyone saying Kings fans are upset? Is this coming from Twitter? I haven't seen any negative reaction but I avoid the cesspit that is twitter.
Fans generally don't know much at all about college/rookie talents and don't bother enough to research it for how vary the outcome can be. So on paper, we drafted another guard who's 6'2", 6'3" with shoes and not understanding the nuances and worry that we'll forever have an inbalanced rosters because Monte McNair doesn't know how to properly make trades or Sacramento not being a town that thrills free agents.

Because he's a guard. That's it. And the best part is we're getting pretty much universal praise for Carter as one of the best picks thus far....outside of Kings fans
I was more asking where is this negative reaction being seen? The reaction is overwhelmingly positive on this site. I'm assuming twitter.

Drafting for need is proven to be an awful strategy in the majority of cases. You sort out your needs via trades and FA. It's amazing that some people still can't grasp this.

I was more asking where is this negative reaction being seen? The reaction is overwhelmingly positive on this site. I'm assuming twitter.

Drafting for need is proven to be an awful strategy in the majority of cases. You sort out your needs via trades and FA. It's amazing that some people still can't grasp this.
Yeah on twitter pretty much. And a few here aren't fans of the pick, but most of us are thrilled.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This feels like the Haliburton pick in that I quickly moved off of Devin Carter early on in the draft process because his game tape is so good that I didn't think there was any chance he would fall to #13. He does everything well. The only thing I could even think of to nitpick about his game is that he's kindof short. The production is there. The swagger is definitely there. He aced the combine, testing off the charts in almost everything. And he knows our team, knows the coaching staff, and wants to be in Sacramento. That's a homerun right there!

I also don't know that anyone needs to be traded to make this work. Fox and Ellis are still the starters. Monk is the lead playmaker off the bench. Huerter is big enough to do his curl and shoot thing as a SF. And then with his speed, length and vertical leaping ability Carter can gobble up minutes at PG, SG, or SF. It would make sense to take some of this guard depth and use it to trade for a front-court starter, maybe De'Andre Hunter who appears to be on the block since Atlanta made (in my opinion) the dumbest pick possible at #1...

But we have Devin Carter and Malik Monk signed now for the next 4 years as our backcourt second line. That's plenty of time to wait for the right roster balancing deal to open up. Davion is the one guy likely to be squeezed out of most of his minutes in the short-term but both Davion and Devin are such tenacious defenders that I wouldn't hate having all of these guards on the roster next season like a pack of angry piranhas that opposing ballhandlers have to swim through to get to the basket.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Should have been drafting BPA since 2006. Good pick.
I find it hilarious that after years of Kings fans begging their GMs to just draft BPA and ignore need, when we finally have a GM that does exactly that, the same exact Kings fans are now begging for him to draft for need.
Drafting for need rather than talent leads to things like passing on Dame to draft T-Rob

I just don't care whatsoever about the "logjam". Trade them
As far as I'm concerned that should have been a lesson learned back in 1984 when the Blazers passed on MJ because they already had Clyde and opted for position/need over BPA.

While settling for position/need can work out from time to time, history has demonstrated that it's not the tactic with the best odds of success.

Acquiring the best players you can should always be the goal. If/when your collection of talent proves not be the best fit -- then trade the superfluous player(s) for someone that fits better. An ancillary benefit to taking BPA is that you're likely to net a better return on the better player once you decide to trade them.

That's essentially what Monte McNair did with Tyrese Haliburton.