DeMar DeRozan Rumor

The Spurs have 19 mil in cap space so they can absorb just one of KVon or HB. KVon makes the most sense for them but maybe they want another veteran with CP to help expedite this rebuild. If you lose HB and keep KVon you have to imagine another trade is coming.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to be clear I am not anti Carter. He is potentially a very good player. Just think he fits poorly on the Kings.
So did Haliburton. But exactly as McNair said after the draft, free agency and trades are about shaping your current team. The draft is about getting who you think is the absolute best talent.

I say this as a big Tristan Da Silva fan - he was a much better fit with the current Kings roster. But let's check in a few years from now and see who has had a better career. If both stay healthy, I'd be really surprised if it isn't Carter.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Spurs have 19 mil in cap space so they can absorb just one of KVon or HB. KVon makes the most sense for them but maybe they want another veteran with CP to help expedite this rebuild. If you lose HB and keep KVon you have to imagine another trade is coming.
After today's trade of Devonte' Graham I believe the Spurs now have $25M+ in cap room.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Still feel like a smaller move for DFS makes more sense if we complete this than BI.

Not sure what Chicago gets out of it but it feels they are making it overly complicated. Spurs move a guy who lost his spot and agreed to delay his contract guarantee an extra week for a second rounder and now get a starting caliber player out of all of this, so one would think they will be making up the difference.

DDR is gone from Chicago no matter what so they can only hold everyone up for so much.

So did Haliburton. But exactly as McNair said after the draft, free agency and trades are about shaping your current team. The draft is about getting who you think is the absolute best talent.

I say this as a big Tristan Da Silva fan - he was a much better fit with the current Kings roster. But let's check in a few years from now and see who has had a better career. If both stay healthy, I'd be really surprised if it isn't Carter.
fair enough. Getting better is a combination of talent and room to grow. Davion had talent just no room to grow.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Most of those guys make a lot of sense to me - well, other than Wiggins. I want no part of him at this point. Kuzma would actually be an ideal 6th/7th main pairing with Monk, but I get the real sense he'd pout about not starting.

I don't love Grant Williams just because he's so annoying as a player, but he gives some 4/5 flexibility.

I'm also back & forth on whether I'd rather have Lyles or Barnes as the backup stretch 4. Barnes provides more ability to attack the basket and score in isolation, but Lyles gives you essentially the same shooting but MUCH better rebounding.

I may be alone, but I still like the idea of Barnes & Duarte to Portland for Thybulle and Timelord, since neither of those guys seem to be in the Blazer's plans going forward.

C Sabonis/Williams/Len
PF Murray/Lyles/McDaniels
SF DeRozan/Thybulle/Edwards(?)
SG Ellis/Carter/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Is a pretty solid and balanced roster that also has some cap flexibility.
You're not alone! I think you suggested this deal first (the Thybulle and R. Williams III combo pack) and it's been my ideal trade scenario ever since. Timelord is a perfect buy-low candidate and gives us exactly what we need in a rotation big -- he could play next to Sabonis at the PF position against taller lineups (with three shooters around them) or be the backup C in our version of the GS death lineup.

There would be less need for Thybulle after a DeRozan trade, but we do still need a capable back up SF regardless and while Thybulle may not be an ideal fit as a full-time starter, he does represent excellent injury depth. Plus I love how this off-season plan transforms that all important SF position which has constantly been a position of weakness on Kings rosters past and present into (arguably?) our deepest position.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And hopefully that's with the Nets and are friend there.

Would make too much sense Brown is from Pop's tree and Jordi is now his (first?) branch.

Just to be clear I am not anti Carter. He is potentially a very good player. Just think he fits poorly on the Kings.
How is potentially having the perfect fit next to Fox long term a bad fit? What exactly do you theoretically want next to Fox? Can shoot? Check. Can handle? Check. Can defend? Check. Can rebound? Check. Can block shots? Check. He's the most complete player the Kings have to put next to Fox long term.

It also smacks of Vivekian pocketbooks
That's the thing, isn't he "poor" by NBA owner standards and allegedly cheap?

I don't want to have to choose between Keegan and BI down the line and lose one of the two for nothing.

If ownership is willing to go "full Celtics" and pay a ton of luxury tax then by all means go after everyone!

DD on a big $$$ short years deal makes so much more sense with this rosters timeline.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Disappointing that it sounds like this isn't a done deal and that DDR is essentially interviewing teams right now.
I actually think this is an encouraging development. Mike Brown is a coach that most players would love to play for and DeMar would have a serious chance to win here. That's a strong pitch already. On top of that, I'd think most California born players would be happy to get out of the cold of Chicago winters and return to West Coast weather. Then again -- isn't it like 110 degrees up there in Sacramento right now? Maybe not ideal timing to show off the city.

LA offers a chance to play in his home town but Paul George leaving this summer essentially because Kawhi is super unreliable as a franchise player surely casts some doubt on his ability to win there. And there are added hassles of playing in your home town which he might want to avoid.

Just being in position to make the pitch is further along than we've gotten before with a 6x All-Star who is still an elite scorer. I'm sure there are a number of players in his ear telling him to avoid Sacramento because of all the turmoil in our recent past (he's best friends with Rudy Gay) so it really comes down to how well he gels with Coach Brown and whichever current players show up to welcome him. Hopefully some of them are still in town.

EDIT: Still catching up and just saw the news about Malik Monk helping with the pitch. I can't think of a better brand ambassador for this current squad.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually think this is an encouraging development. Mike Brown is a coach that most players would love to play for and DeMar would have a serious chance to win here. That's a strong pitch already. On top of that, I'd think most California born players would be happy to get out of the cold of Chicago winters and return to West Coast weather. Then again -- isn't it like 110 degrees up there in Sacramento right now? Maybe not ideal timing to show off the city.

LA offers a chance to play in his home town but Paul George leaving this summer essentially because Kawhi is super unreliable as a franchise player surely casts some doubt on his ability to win there. And there are added hassles of playing in your home town which he might want to avoid.

Just being in position to make the pitch is further along than we've gotten before with a 6x All-Star who is still an elite scorer. I'm sure there are a number of players in his ear telling him to avoid Sacramento because of all the turmoil in our recent past (he's best friends with Rudy Gay) so it really comes down to how well he gels with Coach Brown and whichever current players show up to welcome him. Hopefully some of them are still in town.

EDIT: Still catching up and just saw the news about Malik Monk helping with the pitch. I can't think of a better brand ambassador for this current squad.
Yeah, I don't think I could love Monk any more at this point. He's already firmly in Kings legend territory for me.

He regressed, sure, but it's weird how he's treated on this forum. He's going to be a stud next to Wemby, if that is indeed who's going out
Not if he doesn’t fix that hitch in his shot.

Also, it’s not really “weird” how he’s been treated when you consider that over his 2 seasons here he really only played really well for the first 2, maybe 2.5 months. He had a few games here and there where you thought maybe he was turning it around, but for the most part it’s been ”meh” since “around” the 2023 all-star break.

Last edited: