Tropical Island Video Game Draft -- Pending playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick #16, and time for some Tetris. The greatest puzzelgame in the history of video gaming has several sequels and diminuitives, this being one of them. This version added several distinctive features, not the least of which is a bio tetris game where game speed is dictated by heart rate using the bio sensor attachment!

Pick #16: Tetris 64 (N64) 1998

[yt=Tetris 64]2IgsL49wcCo[/yt]

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_64

Last edited:
Sorry for timing out, I have just logged in and read my PM.

I love sports sim video games(as you can judge from my previous picks), so I had to get another one. So for my next pick:

Major League Baseball 2k5 - Xbox (2005)

There might be other better baseball titles out there but this is the only one that I have owned and I won't let this get away from me.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There might be other better baseball titles out there but this is the only one that I have owned and I won't let this get away from me.
I can recommend a more recent one that's surprisingly awesome. PM or wait til after the draft.

I select Blast Corps for the Nintendo 64 (1997)

Blast Corps is the reason I own a Nintendo 64. The plot? Clear a path for a truck carrying a defective nuclear warhead through urban and rural landscapes with a wide assortment of demolition vehicles. Basically destroy everything you can as fast as you can. Such a fun game... the wide assortment of vehicles and secret vehicles makes this a blast! Plus, you can find the A-Team van at one point!

Here is the wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_Corps

[yt=Blast Corps]G6aJT2q1iDM[/yt]

Last edited:
I select Blast Corps for the Nintendo 64 (1997)

Blast Corps is the reason I own a Nintendo 64. The plot? Clear a path for a truck carrying a defective nuclear warhead through urban and rural landscapes with a wide assortment of demolition vehicles. Basically destroy everything you can as fast as you can. Such a fun game... the wide assortment of vehicles and secret vehicles makes this a blast! Plus, you can find the A-Team van at one point!

Here is the wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_Corps
Hmm...Rampage and now Blast Corps. I take it you like destroying things? :p

I always avoided trying this game out for some reason. I would always see it in the store but never did buy it. Maybe I'll try the ROM sometime.

Hmm...Rampage and now Blast Corps. I take it you like destroying things? :p

I always avoided trying this game out for some reason. I would always see it in the store but never did buy it. Maybe I'll try the ROM sometime.
Try this game... I have played a TON of N64 games (heck I still have my N64) and if I had no other games, it would be worth having a N64 just for this game. It does have that Rampage/chaotic/destruction feel, but there is also quite a bit of strategy and skill involved. Also, there are demolition robots! AND once you clear a level, you can go back an play it without the nuclear warheads worry and just have fun smashing everything in site and looking for secrets. Lastly, your driver can get out of the vehicle you are originally in and drive any other vehicles you might find like a robot hidden in a building, a train, etc.

SO much fun. I am going to go home and hook it up tonight!

Time for my fighting game. I'll take coincidentally the best available, and my favorite without Super Smash Bros. tag.

SoulCalibur II (2002) - Nintendo GameCube

Now, I might be able to admit that the GameCube cersion of NBA Street 2 was inferior to its console rivals, but I won't admit defeat on this game. Here, the GC version of SoulCalibur II was obviously better, with the best extra character (Link) and the tighest graphics even when compared to the Xbox version. If you don't believe me, just ask the aggregate of every review (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/533008.asp?q=soul calibur II) and compare it to the (admittedly slightly) worse scores of the other versions.

Either way, great fighting game that I actually prefer to the original.

And onto my #16. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting about the original Guitar Hero that was available time and time again. So now, I'm going to make up for it by picking the newly released...

Rock Band 2 (2008) - XBox 360

Review

I don't have an XBox so I don't own this one, but I've played my friends (It's being released on PS3 in the near future). I needed a music game because they are very addicting, so I'm not gonna let this slide even 1 more round. Plus it doesn't hurt that this is the only game of the bunch to feature an AC/DC song (finally), Let There Be Rock. It also has several songs that I listen to a lot, including a few that I picked in the Ipod draft.

List Of Songs

[yt=Rock Band 2]A6lX4New06k[/yt]

Last edited:
my pick:

Tales Of Symphonia - GC (2003)

So the interesting thing here is this game was AWESOME. I wouldn't want to beat it again though. It was too epic the first time. This game had some of the best mechanics for an RPG fighting system ever, even if the level design was repetitive and kind of whack.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please note: I have Lowenherz's picks. I don't usually follow this thread so if his turn comes up, please send me a PM. Thanks.

:)

Assassins Creed - 2007 PS3
I know alot of people think this game is repetitive, but I really liked the game. In fact I couldn't put it down untill i beat it
I am one of those people. I like the game, but the gameplay leaves something to be desired. Let's just say that i'm looking forward to the next Prince of Persia than Assassin's Creed 2.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Out of the Park Baseball 9 (2008) - PC

Review
Figured that this one was probably under no threat whatsoever, but its still time to nab it. I think quite possibly the best sports management sim in the gaming world for at least the last 5 years, and every year they tweak it a little more. Add a new feature, a little better A.I. They are independents, but have formed up a large and dedicated fanbase. Its not about directly controlling the players (which of course distorts realism horribly). Its about controlling a franchise through the years. You can manage lineups, rotations, and even pitch by pitch. Or just sim things out for a week, a month, or a whole season. Pull guys up from the minors, pick guys up off of waivers, bench guys when they are cold, start them when they are hot, manage endurance levels, all the normal lefty/righty/home/away/night/day/month by month/clutch and forever modifiers. Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING is in here. Drafts, trades, contract negotiations with free agents (and all of your players have personalities that determine how they react to you + your team), financials, a complete minor league system, you hire every coach, every scout, every minor league manager (and if they suck, they will mess you up, especially your scout). You take them from spring training through the World Series. Draft the next generation of generated players, compete for current free agents in open bidding wars. Guys develop, or not (they all have different potentials), guys get old, get hurt (with all sorts of injuries, some of which linger and limit them). Guys even get drug suspensions, and if they do, they lose popularity, and you suffer at the box office. Fatigue matters. Leadership matters. Work ethic matters. Ego matters. And if you are Kansas City, every single hot dog sold matters if you are going to be able to afford to field a competitive team every year. Sim it out long enough, and maybe one of your guys will even eventually make it into the HOF. Every one of these since OOTP 5 has been a masterpiece, and its just too bad that these guys are baseball fanatics rather than basketball fanatics -- would kill to see the same treatment for an NBA game.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition (2007) - PC

Review
Not that I am actually a grandmaster or anything -- but give me 40 years stuck on an island alone playing this game and I might be. This might be my replay value masterstroke. If everything else fails. If I have finally grown weary of conquering t1000 different randomly generated worlds over and over again. If I have created and defeated a dozen heroic quests with my toolsets and wiped out every enemy in my shooters 100 different ways, bringing along one of the oldest and most addictive games of them all should keep me going. My dad taught me to play when I was about 5, and I have never stopped. Be a shame to let a minor hiccup like being marooned on a desert island for eternity change that. I included the review from the Chessmaster 10th Edition, because there was none for this, which is essentially an expansion pack of that game with extra material added in from Josh Waitzkin (the kid from Searching for Bobby Fischer). I was actually thinking of selecting this one for the Playstation or whatnot just to have a console game, as it does not really matter. But as usual the intrerface for this sort of thing is just much easier on the PC.

P.S. And as an additional feature, when you have finally been driven completely insane from a life of isolation with only a bunch of computer games to console you, you can start playing the game as a bunch of maniacal bunnies armed with toilet plungers:

Last edited:
I am one of those people. I like the game, but the gameplay leaves something to be desired. Let's just say that i'm looking forward to the next Prince of Persia than Assassin's Creed 2.
I thought Assassin's Creed went from "wow" to "meh" very quickly. Couldn't help feeling that the graphics and game mechanics (which, for the record, are amazing) could have been used to do so much more.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Dig-Dug (1982) - Arcade

What can I say? I likes my games simple and fun to play. See y'all in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.