Thomas or Shareef

Who Starts based on tonight's performance??

• Shareef, there is no question about it

Votes: 118 69.0%
  • Shareef, but slightly

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Kenny, by a long shot

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Kenny, but only a matter of time

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Still too early to tell

Votes: 23 13.5%

• Total voters
Kings113 said:
Corliss is a good post-scorer. I've never seen him be inconsistent with it.
He is. But Shareef is on another level completely. Shareef has the ability to dominate a game from the low post. He also showed in the first preseason game he is very good at creating for his teamates around the basket.

When I used to watch Shareef play I would always marvel at how he would get the basket with so much contact, and a filled up lane in front of him. I am really excited about what Shareef can bring to the table. He also demands a double team which is something we lost with the Webber trade.

I would have to agree with Brick though. I think Bonzi may be the key for us.

N

Netguy115

hopefully KT isn't always an ineffective off the bench as he was yesterday...i hope his poutiness isn't getting to him

I don't think Kenny had any problems coming off the bench. And he better not, because it looks like he might be doing that come the regular season. Hopefully by the 5th preseason game or so Rick Adelman has an idea of what he is going to do. That way Reef and Kenny can get better used to their roles, whatever they may be.

Bricklayer said:
... x factor is probaby Bonzi -- as an OG who brings both a post game and rebounding himself, he could be used as an excuse to go either way -- either he's the postup guy so we can afford Kenny, or his extra rebounding means we can afford Reef. Either way depending on your 6'5" OG to provide you with a post game and rebounding is borderline comical, but it is what it is. Still think it may be Bonzi more than whoever the PF is who is the key to the season. We are desperate for what he brings, and we need him to not only hold it together, but even imprint some of his will on the team. Asking a lot from him, but amazingly for his position he may be the best combination post player/rebounder/defender on the entire team.
Brick, even it's been just 2 games based on them, if he's met your expectations so far as a x factor. I haven't seen him play yet, not even audio just the scoreboard and the forum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sono said:
Brick, even it's been just 2 games based on them, if he's met your expectations so far as a x factor. I haven't seen him play yet, not even audio just the scoreboard and the forum.
I only got to see the one game last night, and in that one yes and no. I really liked what he brought, and it was definitely what we needed. He was big on the glass, posted up, drew double teams, passed willingly...all good. But did he key the team as some sort of x factor? Maybe not so much, at least not yet. He was kind of doing his thing, but not sure anybody was really following him. In particular on defense I didn't notice him much. Still, I was encouraged.

Bonzi's been around so there really are no major surprises to his game, but its still nice to see him actually bringing those things out on the court for us. Just be a question of whether that stuff can bleed over to his teammats or not. In my opinion at least, I really think we need a Christie-like figure who not only plays hard himself, but inspires his teammates to do so too. Bonzi seems like one of the last pesonalities you would pick to do that, but he's got the game if he keeps his head on straight. He'll compete.

After last night's performance, I think Thomas needs to get it together. I am not accusing him of pouting, but man he sure looks less effective coming off the bench. I hope that is not mental.

If keeps talking about not starting or becomes inconsistent, yeah. Which I don't see happening.

Regardless of Kenny's talkings so far, I never thought and don't think it's a question of who'll be starting at PF. Even when we didn't have Reef, I knew it wouldn't be KT. Nothing against him, I really like him.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
tyrant said:
should we trade kenny?
The question isn't should we trade him exactly. It's more like who would take him, especially with that contract?

IF Kenny can adapt and come off the bench with a decent attitude, he can be a great help to this year's team. His fate is really in his own hands. He has to realize he's not going to be the starting PF this year. He can posturize about it in the media OR he can adapt and be a true spark off the bench. He has a lot to offer in that capacity.

It's not about the name on the back. KT needs to realize that how significant a part he plays in this year's successes will depend on his willingness to remember that.

GO KINGS!!!

did he start for the sixers? how did he get this allen iverson attitude? he probably thinks he was born a starter. he probably would expect to start for the miami heat

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not exactly true, bibbinator.

KT has made several comments about being the starter. The most recent was something along the lines of he should be the starter, he's been here longer, and he doesn't know why anyone would think otherwise...

VF21 said:
Not exactly true, bibbinator.

KT has made several comments about being the starter. The most recent was something along the lines of he should be the starter, he's been here longer, and he doesn't know why anyone would think otherwise...
OK, I'll take your word for it. I wasn't aware that he'd made other comments beyond the last one. Hopefully some wiser person has told him to STFU, if only for his own benefit.

tyrant said:
did he start for the sixers? how did he get this allen iverson attitude? he probably thinks he was born a starter. he probably would expect to start for the miami heat
He's started 40+ times 4 seasons in his career. 43 times last year with the Sixers, and 72 and 28 (trade from Houston on 28) seasons before in Philly.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kenny_thomas/index.html

But, I think Kenny'll be fine and good coming off the bench for us.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I think if you have an allstar quality power forward, you have to play him. Thomas would be better off the bench. Kenny Thomas starting at power forward ain't scaring anyone.

Well, I just hope KT says nothing more and just plays his best in whatever his role will be. If you're starting material for the team, you don't have to say anything. Course, the media could quit asking both of them about it, too (not likely).

If the Kings were looking to trade Kenny there would be plenty of teams interested. But I don't think the Kings are looking to.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
If the Kings were looking to trade Kenny there would be plenty of teams interested.
Do tell -- the contract is a real issue. As would be him getting traded because he couldn't deal with coming off the bench. Only a handful of teams in the league that would start him, and most of them are rebuilding and are not going to be in a hurry to blow their cap room on a middleaged 6'7" PF.

Strange things happen at the deadline. Strange things indeed....

If guys like Mo Taylor or Malik Rose can be traded, I don't think it would be impossible to trade Kenny Thomas.

Last edited:
I really think that KT will come to grips coming off the bench. I don't think we should trade him though because he is a good rebounder even with his size. He also causes a lot of problems to teams trying to guard him because he is so quick. I also want to say that I saw the game last night and it didn't look anything like he was pouting. He actually looked alright. He just wasn't making shots but neither was peja. He did have a great assist to Francisco towards the end of the game.

When KT came over in the Webber trade, I never thought it would be permanent. I'm surprised that he didn't get traded. But, I think that he can be a great addition to the Kings bench, if he can accept that role.