The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
She, like most of us were ready to jump off a cliff before the UDFA guys and a good report on Sasha came out.

It's still dumb to pass on the talent that was sitting there at 37, but it's more understandable if Keon Ellis and they're confident they can get Sasha over this season.
the thing with 2nd round guys vs. UDFA is 2nd round guys can threaten to play in Europe or elsewhere if they don't like the team that drafts them for all the nonsense about us passing on Ivey because he didn't want to play here, that is a real possibility with some of those second round talents.

I've had enough kings for two weeks. Gotta work out my heart and soul for the next few months to go though what I've been through for last 20+ years.

For those who've attacked a traumatized king fan for agreeing with the commons sense pick (Ivey) Instead of the safe pick (murray) Shame on you.

For those who expected more tonight. We should have known better

I'll be there game 1 at arena waiting for a championship ring next year knowing in my heart hell will freeze first.

Here is to Murray becoming a superstar, because that's what we needed tonight. Anything less and, well we won't have 4th pick again

the thing with 2nd round guys vs. UDFA is 2nd round guys can threaten to play in Europe or elsewhere if they don't like the team that drafts them for all the nonsense about us passing on Ivey because he didn't want to play here, that is a real possibility with some of those second round talents.
It’s going both ways, too, with teams not wanting to draft guys who may not accept 2-ways. Might be the new reality that there’s an element of free agency in second round drafting, or at least an overlap.

I've had enough kings for two weeks. Gotta work out my heart and soul for the next few months to go though what I've been through for last 20+ years.

For those who've attacked a traumatized king fan for agreeing with the commons sense pick (Ivey) Instead of the safe pick (murray) Shame on you.

For those who expected more tonight. We should have known better

I'll be there game 1 at arena waiting for a championship ring next year knowing in my heart hell will freeze first.

Here is to Murray becoming a superstar, because that's what we needed tonight. Anything less and, well we won't have 4th pick again
I, for one, will miss your rapid fire hot takes.

Come back soon Rob.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
My lukewarm takes about the rest of the lottery (ish)...

#1: Paulo is screwed. I can't think of a worse place for him to be than on that Orlando roster.

#2: Holmgren is going to be a ton of fun in OKC for three years before Presti trades him for 22 future first round picks.

#3: Poor Jabari leaves an Auburn team with two starting guards who would rather shoot than pass and ends up on a Rockets team with two starting guards who would rather shoot than pass. They'll be back in the top half of the lottery again next year.

#5 & 6: I feel like Detroit and Indiana both took the wrong guards. Mathurin was a better fit with Cade and Ivey would have been a better fit with Haliburton. I believe they're both talented enough to make it work but as an NBA fan I wish I could just swap those two.

#7: Sharpe to Portland is perfect for the train wreck they're building up there. Lillard needs to get himself out of there ASAP.

#8: I like Dyson Daniels to New Orleans. That team still feels like a bunch of mismatched parts to me but they'll have a lot of options when they eventually decide who to build around.

#9: Of course the Spurs always get a guy who is perfect for them. Projecting Kawhi level development from anyone is unfair but if he can't become a consistent three and D stud under Coach Pop it probably wasn't going to happen anywhere. Also, he already has the San Antonio era vintage Rodman hairdo so props for the mid 90s callback!

#10: I don't like Johnny Davis going to Washington. Beal is probably moving on but now they've replaced him with another scoring guard who'll be forced to carry them on offense with inefficient volume shooting. They should have taken one of the bigs.

#11: If I hear OKC and upside in the same sentence one more time...

#12: Jalen Williams at 12! Woah! Start packing your bags Shai, Papa Presti has a new super-sized combo guard to build around. I can't emphasize enough that I hate what he's done to this team. It's more of a performance art piece than a basketball team at this point.

#13: Jalen Duren to Detroit by way of NY. Hmm, I kindof like this for the Pistons. I'd like it a lot more if they'd taken Mathurin too, but I digress. This could be a fun team to watch. I wasn't a big believer in Duren but he's on a team where he'll get a chance to grow without a lot of pressure and Cade will make his life easier.

#14: I love Ochai going to Cleveland. I wish they would just trade poor Colin Sexton already but other than that I have nothing but thumbs up for the job Cleveland's front office has done the last few years.

#15: Is Mark Williams to Charlotte at 15 the steal of the draft? That's a perfect fit for them and I really like the team MJ is putting together right now if they follow through on keeping Miles Bridges.

#16: How does Atlanta end up with all this draft talent? Trae Young and AJ Griffin could be fun together. Now go get Ayton too and they'll be next year's League Pass darlings.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It’s going both ways, too, with teams not wanting to draft guys who may not accept 2-ways. Might be the new reality that there’s an element of free agency in second round drafting, or at least an overlap.
It's been an open secret for years now that the second round isn't a real "draft". Now if someone falls from the first round and you are going to give them a guaranteed contract obviously you take them even if they have reservations, but if it's a 2-way long term prospect it's more complicated.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

#1: Paulo is screwed. I can't think of a worse place for him to be than on that Orlando roster.

#2: Holmgren is going to be a ton of fun in OKC for three years before Presti trades him for 22 future first round picks.

#3: Poor Jabari leaves an Auburn team with two starting guards who would rather shoot than pass and ends up on a Rockets team with two starting guards who would rather shoot than pass. They'll be back in the top half of the lottery again next year.

#5 & 6: I feel like Detroit and Indiana both took the wrong guards. Mathurin was a better fit with Cade and Ivey would have been a better fit with Haliburton. I believe they're both talented enough to make it work but as an NBA fan I wish I could just swap those two.

#7: Sharpe to Portland is perfect for the train wreck they're building up there. Lillard needs to get himself out of there ASAP.

#8: I like Dyson Daniels to New Orleans. That team still feels like a bunch of mismatched parts to me but they'll have a lot of options when they eventually decide who to build around.

#9: Of course the Spurs always get a guy who is perfect for them. Projecting Kawhi level development from anyone is unfair but if he can't become a consistent three and D stud under Coach Pop it probably wasn't going to happen anywhere. Also, he already has the San Antonio era vintage Rodman hairdo so props for the mid 90s callback!

#10: I don't like Johnny Davis going to Washington. Beal is probably moving on but now they've replaced him with another scoring guard who'll be forced to carry them on offense with inefficient volume shooting. They should have taken one of the bigs.

#12: Jalen Williams at 12! Woah! Start packing your bags Shai, Papa Presti has a new super-sized combo guard to build around. I can't emphasize enough that I hate what he's done to this team. It's more of a performance art piece than a basketball team at this point.

#13: Jalen Duren to Detroit by way of NY. Hmm, I kindof like this for the Pistons. I'd like it a lot more if they'd taken Mathurin too, but I digress. This could be a fun team to watch. I wasn't a big believer in Duren but he's on a team where he'll get a chance to grow without a lot of pressure and Cade will make his life easier.

#14: I love Ochai going to Cleveland. I wish they would just trade poor Colin Sexton already but other than that

#15: Is Mark Williams to Charlotte at 15 the steal of the draft? That's a perfect fit for them and I really like the team MJ is putting together right now if they follow through on keeping Miles Bridges.

#16: How does Atlanta end up with all this draft talent? Trae Young and AJ Griffin could be fun together. Now go get Ayton too and they'll be next year's League Pass darlings.
It really does feel like more than a few guys went to the wrong team/situation tonight and Sharpe to Portland feels like the first real trainwreck.
I actually fell asleep before our pick so missed the Jabari thing and woke up right as we picked. Houston feels wrong for him but they were also the one team that Ivey was 100% out of the question on.

#14: I love Ochai going to Cleveland. I wish they would just trade poor Colin Sexton already but other than that

OKC really took a swing. If 2 of those 3 guys hit, they're in business.

hrdboild

Staff member
Monte is really going to bat for Keegan. This is legitimately the most wound up I've ever seen him.
This probably shouldn't be a surprise. Statistically speaking, he wasn't just great last season at Iowa he was "sell the farm to go all in on this guy" levels of great. If he hit it off with Fox and Sabonis from a personality stand point as well, that's the easiest pick Monte will ever make.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This probably shouldn't be a surprise. Statistically speaking, he wasn't just great last season at Iowa he was "sell the farm to go all in on this guy" levels of great. If he hit it off with Fox and Sabonis from a personality stand point as well, that's the easiest pick Monte will ever make.
We were literally screaming bloody murder at cheap wins over Indy and Houston going to cost us Murray the final month of the season and now folks are mad we drafted him. lol. KANGZ

hrdboild

Staff member
Okc actually has too many interesting pieces :D They won’t be able to develop them all so it will be interesting to see if they can take a couple big swings to consolidate.
Exactly. It's subtraction by addition. Is that a thing? I think it's unfair to these players to stunt their development by shoving them together with no veteran leadership and then benching everyone good the last two months of the season so you can greedily add another high upside prospect (or three) to the mix and do the same thing next season.

Free agency is not a boon for the Kings when it comes to acquiring high-level talent, but would anyone be dissatisfied with an addition like Otto Porter Jr. this off-season? As for trade assets, presumably Harrison Barnes and Richaun Holmes are not in the team's long-term plans. They also have future first rounders to play with, as well as a couple new future second rounders (that are apparently quite valuable, if you believe the disappointment emanating from various threads here at KF.com).
I'm raising my hand. He's not a difference maker, especially because this team by NBA standards is athletically a three or four on a scale of 10 on their front line. When you have Sabonis, Barnes and Murray you may be pretty good skill-wise on offense, but on defense I think Brown is going to have his hands full. Otto Porter is not the guy to add athleticism to a lineup. Also, they probably need an athletic upgrade at the four, which would allow for Murray to come off the bench. To my mind, they need Collins AND Murray at the four, then they need someone a grade higher athletically than Barnes at the three. I'm not holding my breath.

hrdboild

Staff member
Yeah but notice the org buying. Only one of the best orgs in basketball.
I will grant that Golden State has been a model franchise ever since they found their identity with the Splash Bros but their use of draft capital the past three years has been highly suspect. They used their first round pick this year on a highly rated high school player who was awful all season and flunked the draft combine. Wiseman was taken #2 overall and still has to earn his second NBA contract. Moody and Kuminga both disappointed in their rookie seasons. Based on the results so far, I don't think they're going to transition smoothly into the post-Curry era whenever that day comes.

My draft thoughts:

1. A little surprised that Banchero went first overall to Orlando. But I do honestly believe that, at the end of the day, he will go down as being the best player to come out of this draft class.
2. My top two were Ivey and Murray, in that order. If I were calling the shots, I would have drafted Ivey. But I am not going to call for some heads because we now have Keegan Murray. I am excited to see what he brings to the team.
3. I was hoping that Monte would be able to, AT THE VERY LEAST, package both of our second round picks and move up a bit (late first or early second), but am perfectly fine with him trading both for the return that he was able to get back.
4. I am starting to get more and more convinced that Monte McNair is not the right person for this job, and that it should actually be a group of KingsFans.com members who, collectively, seem to want to disagree with every move the front office ever makes. Or who, collectively, believe that a roster of second round "projects" will magically win us that elusive championship, and we should NEVER trade second round picks for that very reason.
5. I can't wait to see what Monte does during the free agency period.
6. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Monte McNair is the right person for this job.

I will grant that Golden State has been a model franchise ever since they found their identity with the Splash Bros but their use of draft capital the past three years has been highly suspect. They used their first round pick this year on a highly rated high school player who was awful all season and flunked the draft combine. Wiseman was taken #2 overall and still has to earn his second NBA contract. Moody and Kuminga both disappointed in their rookie seasons. Based on the results so far, I don't think they're going to transition smoothly into the post-Curry era whenever that day comes.
Well having picked Looney and Poole at 30 would indicate they are doing something right.