The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm really wondering if something popped up on Liddell's medical exam during the combine. The dude also tested pretty bad during the combine (which didn't stop Baldwin from going in the first draft for some reason).

Guy's kinda stuck in the no-man's-land of being a 4/5 tweener in a league that's generally completely veered away from them. I think he could still be good but we were even seeing Grant Williams's success having its limits during the postseason and he's pretty much the ideal outcome for EJ at this point.
Monte passed on anyone that wasn't a wing this draft. I think it could be as simple as that.

I just rewatched the press conference. Monte really annoyed by Matt George’s question about a playoff mandate haha.
Maybe the real reason Monte doesn’t like talking to the Kings media is because they’re all idiots lol
I mean, in Monte's defense, if QWERTYLICIOUS himself were the General Manager of THE Sacramento Kings, he, too, would REALLY be annoyed at Matt George's question about a playoff mandate.

Knowing Q, he'd probably go Jim Mora on the guy.

:p:p:p

Trade down how? Do we know what was available? Could we have traded below 5 and be sure we would get him? If no, what was the package that was acceptable to pick someone we thought would be a lower tier player? We have no clue.

Even in the supposed trade with Detroit, what were they offering? We know they were ready to offload Grant, but for what? And how were we going to absorb him? We didn't have a 21 million trade exception lying around. We would have had to send back salary, or make it a 3-4 teams trade, something they might not have been interested in. There are just too many unknowns, and I think it's unfair to blame Monte for being lazy. If Keegan was the target, and there was no viable trade that provided a certainty of picking him, or a package that made picking another player worthwhile, this was the correct approach.

I do believe that if we had picked Ivey, there would have been a lot of pressure not only on Monte, but also on Brown, Ivey, Davion, TD, and DDV, and maybe even Fox. Teams would know that we will be forced to offload at least one major piece, and we would never get commensurate value, all while having a lopsided roster, and starting Harkless, or forcing someone to play out of position.
I’m not saying I’m mad that Monte didn’t trade down, I’m bummed out a good trade down likely wasn’t available.

I'm happy Jovic did not go to Minny after wasting precious Bjelly years and literally waiting until Darko Milicic FAKED a hand injury just so his bro Nikola Petkovic (only other healthy C on the roster at the time) would get playing time there (they were going to trade him away for nothing).
Do you know how good Karlo Matković is? I guess it doesn’t matter much to me now since he switched to Croatia from BiH but I’m curious since I never heard about NBA potential for him coming out of Bosnian fans.

Hoopshype reporting that Reddish was part of the Knicks offer to Detroit for Ivey: https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rum...yton-jalen-brunson-tyus-jones-vasilije-micic/

If their best offer was just Reddish and 11, I’m glad Monte passed. With Daniels and Sochan going 8 and 9, trading down to 10 with Wizards or 11 with Knicks would have been brutal. That’s why you don’t get cute and just take your guy.
And that is also why you don't make draft day deals just to say that you made draft day deals.

If their best offer was just Reddish and 11, I’m glad Monte passed. With Daniels and Sochan going 8 and 9, trading down to 10 with Wizards or 11 with Knicks would have been brutal. That’s why you don’t get cute and just take your guy.[/QUOTE]
Monte passed on anyone that wasn't a wing this draft. I think it could be as simple as that.
I'm dubious about Murray being a wing. He's not a 2 or a 3. He looks like a stretch 4 who doesn't have the athletic ability to stay in front of most starting 3s in the NBA.

I think only a few have claimed Keegan was a bad pick. I do think Monte got bluffed by Detroit who led people to believe they wanted Murray.

in a league of very good poker players I think Monte is a poor one.
No need to play poker if you know who you want and there’s very little debate about it. I think Detroit would have been fine with either result, making a trade unnecessary

I'm dubious about Murray being a wing. He's not a 2 or a 3. He looks like a stretch 4 who doesn't have the athletic ability to stay in front of most starting 3s in the NBA.
I believe the Kings intentions are for Murray to play 4/3, which is why I categorized him that way. He won't be able to stay in front of all 3s, but he will initially be able to play situational and spot minutes there. With good technique, he can improve his ability to play the 3.

Yeah I agree it is petty and kind of ironic. But it's also a bummer to have such a low standing among NBA players that even they refer to us as the Kangz lol.
Ehhh, Hali is young and wounded so i guess I’ll give em a pass. Many of these people just want in on the jokes for twitter engagement at this point. They’ll be trying to hump on the bandwagon soon, if we are indeed on the right path.

I believe the Kings intentions are for Murray to play 4/3, which is why I categorized him that way. He won't be able to stay in front of all 3s, but he will initially be able to play situational and spot minutes there. With good technique, he can improve his ability to play the 3.
Maybe he can play some 3 against some backups, but I don't see him staying in front of a players like Paul George, Wiggins, Ingram, DeRozan, Tatum, Barrett, etc.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well having picked Looney and Poole at 30 would indicate they are doing something right.
Looney was drafted in 2015 at #30 overall. Poole was drafted in 2019 at #28 overall. I didn't mean to imply that all their picks have been busts, but to have as many high picks as they've had the last three years and not come away with even a single core piece would be crushing for most teams. They get a pass because they already have a championship level roster and got those picks because of injuries.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
OKC just needs a couple guys to develop quick and then they can start unloading picks for veterans and make a run.
Sure. So it's a good thing they drafted a bunch of players who should develop quickly... oh wait. No they actually took every long shot on the board and they probably won't be legit NBA starters until it's time to pay them all. It's the Vlade plan all over again. Half of those guys are going to get cut or traded for nothing.

Keon Ellis acquisition, like it. could be guard insurance in case there is an issue with DDV returning.
Very curious what Donte is thinking, of course not drafting Ivey should open up his roll here.
Also any thoughts on Collins, or has drafting Murray pretty much silenced that front?
I don’t imagine Monte is done
It better not be done. And no, drafting Murray shouldn't stop him from going after Collins, as Murray is totally unproven at this point as an NBA commodity. He needs to go after 3s and 4s with abandon, making above average defense as a precondition to his interest.

Being a GM is largely a poker game.
Well that's just silliness. Most GM work is boring diligence, analytical study, and salary cap examination.

There is certainly an element of playing your cards close to your chest involved in NBA GM'ing. Monte and his front office have that part down to a science. There's tangible evidence of "poker" skill that you choose to ignore. And there is certainly an element of misdirection involved in the transactional parts of the job. But if you knew which GM's were particularly gifted deceivers, they wouldn't be very good at it, would they? The goal should be to misdirect and leave behind no trace, hence a variety of draft day leaks that can be difficult to parse. Why would opposing teams and player agents deal with you if they already know you're not operating from a place of good faith?

In other words, you're mostly just talking out of your a**, aren't you? You have no idea if Monte is a good "poker player" after a measly two years on the job. You just prefer to shape a particular narrative that confirms your existing biases. We know that more than just Detroit expressed an interest in moving up to pick Murray. What possible reason would the Spurs or Pacers have to "bluff" in this regard? Given that reported interest, perhaps it's just as likely that several front offices were higher on a player like Murray than they were on a player like Ivey. But then that wouldn't fit your preferred narrative about McNair, would it?