The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s officially draft day on the east coast (it’s already been Thursday for me in Japan for the last 14 hours) so I thought I’d open this thread up. (The 4th pick excitement thread was already getting super long and turning into a generally massive thread about everything)

as with past years, there’ll be a thread with the non-spoiler “real time” ESPN broadcast of the NBA draft. This is going to be the chaotic one where we post all of Shams and Woj’s way too early tweets of the picks/trades/rumors… You know, the good stuff.

It’s officially draft day on the east coast (it’s already been Thursday for me in Japan for the last 14 hours) so I thought I’d open this thread up. (The 4th pick excitement thread was already getting super long and turning into a generally massive thread about everything)

as with past years, there’ll be a thread with the non-spoiler “real time” ESPN broadcast of the NBA draft. This is going to be the chaotic one where we post all of Shams and Woj’s way too early tweets of the picks/trades/rumors… You know, the good stuff.
Regarding your poll, my choice will always be the one that closely, if not fully, resembles Vlade passing on Luka. That's always going to be number 1a on my list, just ahead of Vlade drafting Georgios, which will always be number 1b.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It would be hard to argue that the world is not on fire at this point, so that's what I went with in the poll but I'm also trying to find my inner VF21 and ease into draft day 2022 with an endless reserve of optimism for all things Kings. I'm moving back to the Sacramento area in a week and a half after nearly 21 years in LA. A championship parade around this time next year is probably a bit too much to ask as a welcome back gift, but I'm clearing my calendar for June 2024.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm just going in with a zen "In Monte I trust" attitude. He's 2 for 2 with lotto picks, and that feels pretty good after watching late era Petrie, Gerbil, and Vlade go something like 0 for 30 over the past decade plus.

Edit: Well, 1 for 30 since Phoenix saved Vlade from himself and drafted Jackson.

Last edited:
I'm just going in with a zen "In Monte I trust" attitude. He's 2 for 2 with lotto picks, and that feels pretty good after watching late era Petrie, Gerbil, and Vlade go something like 0 for 30 over the past decade plus.

Edit: Well, 1 for 30 since Phoenix saved Vlade from himself and drafted Jackson.
Can we say Davion is a win just yet?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Can we say Davion is a win just yet?
I can't think of anyone picked after him that I'd trade him straight up for, so that's a massive improvement over the picks of our other GMs, who were something like truffle hogs but for draft busts.

Davion showed a lot last year and has a killer work ethic, no reason to think he won't come back even better next year.

Initial thought is how did this happen. Not questioning Paolo vs Jabari/ Chet. But why the sudden change?

Second thought is all the chump sports writers just been copying each other's mock drafts and taking cheap shots at the Kings cause they got nothing else.
Basically means sharps are hammering the crap out of Paolo to go #1 and books are trying to not lose their ass. Paolo has been looonnng odds for most of the draft cycle, so this sharp of a move 18 hours before the draft is pretty significant.

Some rumor the Rockets are trading up to #1 to take Paolo also. What an insane draft, I don't remember basically nothing being decided so soon to actually draft day.

I think there's valid arguments for Paolo at #1. However, this would be the biggest smokescreen we've seen in the draft season if Orlando picks him. Everything has been pointing to Jabari since day 1 of Orlando winning the draft. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

Basically means sharps are hammering the crap out of Paolo to go #1 and books are trying to not lose their ass. Paolo has been looonnng odds for most of the draft cycle, so this sharp of a move 18 hours before the draft is pretty significant.

Some rumor the Rockets are trading up to #1 to take Paolo also. What an insane draft, I don't remember basically nothing being decided so soon to actually draft day.
It's funny - last year the Rockets hired some draft twitter guys as scouts. Obviously they are not putting their pre draft takes online anymore, but their old twitter clique seems to be much higher on Chet and Paolo than Jabari - especially compared to the ESPN, Athletic, Ringer crew who think Jabari and his 6'10 3 pointers are gods gift.

Having said that - if Jabari drops - or if we give up next years pick to move up and grab him - then cool - gods gift!

On another note, let's say hypothetically that Houston traded up to #1 and gave up #3. It'd be Houston, OKC, then Orlando. What if the Kings traded up with OKC? We know that they love Jaden Ivey.. by trading down to #4, they're guaranteed him, plus, they'd get additional assets from the Kings. I don't see Orlando taking Ivey after already having a full backcourt of Anthony, Suggs, and Fultz.

Of course the other option could be the Kings taking Chet at #2.

I don't know if we'd have enough to move up unless we give two future 1st round picks. We don't have any players that OKC wants.

On another note, let's say hypothetically that Houston traded up to #1 and gave up #3. It'd be Houston, OKC, then Orlando. What if the Kings traded up with OKC? We know that they love Jaden Ivey.. by trading down to #4, they're guaranteed him, plus, they'd get additional assets from the Kings. I don't see Orlando taking Ivey after already having a full backcourt of Anthony, Suggs, and Fultz.

Of course the other option could be the Kings taking Chet at #2.

I don't know if we'd have enough to move up unless we give two future 1st round picks. We don't have any players that OKC wants.
I don't think it would take that much. I use the ATL-DAL trade as a guide from moving from 5 to 3, which was a top 5 protected pick I believe.

Maybe you can go like 2023 top 3 protected, or something along those lines. But I don't think OKC would turn down an unprotected 2023 1st if Ivey is actually 1st or 2nd on their board.

I don't think it would take that much. I use the ATL-DAL trade as a guide from moving from 5 to 3, which was a top 5 protected pick I believe.

Maybe you can go like 2023 top 3 protected, or something along those lines. But I don't think OKC would turn down an unprotected 2023 1st if Ivey is actually 1st or 2nd on their board.
Lord no, no unprotected 2023 picks