Rumor: Thompson & Garcia for #2

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/24/talk-of-trades-refuses-to-die/

This is the newest rumor. Thompson and Garcia for the #2. This is one of the better rumors I have heard, and would leave the Kings with 2 of the top 4 picks, while dumping Garcia's contract which I am in favor of doing to open up for time for Donte. It would be tough to say goodbye to Thompson though.
I saw that but my first question would be - who do you take at #4 then? Say the Kings move up to grab Rubio at 2 (I can't see them making this move for Evans) then who do they take at 4? If rumors are to be believed, OKC will snap up Thabeet (which is fine by me - I've never been a fan) so who is the pick? Are the Kings actually high on Jordan Hill? DeRozan? It wouldn't make sense to take Evans with Martin and Rubio in the fold.

I'm not buying this rumor at all.

I can't imagine the Kings' FO souring on Garcia as a player to think of him now as a salary dump. If they do think of him as a salary dump, I guess that's supposed to make up for sending Thompson out. Honestly, I can't see this being true, maybe the Kings are just doing a very good job at keeping their excitement over Rubio quiet, but I just doubt they're willing to go this far for Rubio.

It's a dumb little rumor.

But for financial reasons you get rid of Cisco's contract(though he's a good value for his salary) and you get Thabeet who'd provide a double shot blocking threat of Hawes and Thabeet and still get Evans at #4.

Dream scenario there is to walk away with Thabeet and Rubio....but losing JT without getting back a PF? ouch
And that's why I don't think the Kings do this. I think the FO is waaaay to high on the foundation of Martin, Hawes, JT and Cisco. I highly doubt if any of those players are moved anytime soon. IMO, the ideal goal for the FO is to build upon these 4.

And that's why I don't think the Kings do this. I think the FO is waaaay to high on the foundation of Martin, Hawes, JT and Cisco. I highly doubt if any of those players are moved anytime soon. IMO, the ideal goal for the FO is to build upon these 4.
Just my own assumption, but I think the team is higher on Thompson and Hawes than Martin or Cisco who I'm sure they like but wouldn't have any qualms about moving for the right price.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Rubio dishing to PF Hawes, with Thabeet at C, and Diogu waiting on the bench for small ball matchups, sounds kind of intriguing. Also sounds like something that won't happen.

Kings can't do this trade. It makes no sense. You give up your young PF, to get .......who to replace him?

The Kings didn't even work out PF's that I know of. And, you can't guarantee you're getting a specific free agent PF, if there are any even worth anything available.

The players you would go for with the #2 + #4 would be

Rubio + (Jordan Hill or Thabeet) whichever is available

Hill is a very similar player to JT but with more polished post skills than JT coming out of college. If we get Thabeet, Spencer moves to a power forward spot. I always see Spencer as being a tougher, more athletic version of Gasol in the future. I love JT but if that’s what it takes to get 2 major pieces, then its time to roll the dice.

I dunno, its a risky move in more ways than one but if you take Thabeet at #2 and Rubio slips to #4 you're still likely to struggle next year and can nab the third big man but you've dramatically increased the potential upside. Of course one or both could bust spectacularly but I fail to see how things can get any worse than last season. I'm not attached to anyone on this roster.

Think I'd rather do

Martin

for

Darko + #2

Since Martin is easier to replace and with the additional cap space next summer we could get something substantial. Memphis does need a PF though...

L

LWP777

I'm sure this is just a rumor because good things like this rarely happen to our Kings. I think everybody is way too high on JT. Sure, he's a nice player, but I don't see him being a top 5 power forward anytime in his career. If you can trade him and an aging Garcia (who is another marginal NBA player) for a chance at a star like Rubio, Thabeet, Evans, or whoever, then you do it.

I don't care about not having a power forward at the moment. We need better players.

PFs are easier to come by than top-tier centers, which Hawes is developing into.

At first, I thought I'd rather trade Hawes instead of JT in this deal, due to the thought of a Rubio/Thompson fastbreak combo....

BUT....

Hawes is more valuable than Thompson. This isn't to say I dislike JT, because I do. He was my favorite player to watch on this squad in '08. But Rubio is exactly what this city needs to get the energy back at Arco, so at this point we do anything to get him.

Right now Thompson and Hawes are both pretty much untouchables from my perspective. Garcia is our heart and soul, so theres no way we should get rid of him. Unless its an absolute great deal for us and we are certain what we are getting in return.

I hope we just stand pat with our picks and take the best players available then let it work itself out after, we need all the talent we can get right now.

PFs are easier to come by than top-tier centers, which Hawes is developing into.

At first, I thought I'd rather trade Hawes instead of JT in this deal, due to the thought of a Rubio/Thompson fastbreak combo....

BUT....

Hawes is more valuable than Thompson. This isn't to say I dislike JT, because I do. He was my favorite player to watch on this squad in '08. But Rubio is exactly what this city needs to get the energy back at Arco, so at this point we do anything to get him.
A guy who is around 21 with 5 knee surgeries without great athleticism to begin with is more valuable than a strong, athletic PF standing 6' 11"?

I'm sure this is just a rumor because good things like this rarely happen to our Kings. I think everybody is way too high on JT. Sure, he's a nice player, but I don't see him being a top 5 power forward anytime in his career. If you can trade him and an aging Garcia (who is another marginal NBA player) for a chance at a star like Rubio, Thabeet, Evans, or whoever, then you do it.

I don't care about not having a power forward at the moment. We need better players.
Why dont you see him as a top 5 PF? hes capabable of averaging 10-12 rebs a game, hes quick off his feet, he already can shoot the 18 footer consistently and drive if needed, hes strong/big/fast (a rare combination), athletic,and hes in the right position to develop.. plus hes a workhorse. I disagree with you, I think he has all the right things going his way to become a great power forward in this league.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Dear God, spare me these people that think they know exactly what a players limits are after one year. I'm glad you don't care about not having a PF. I'm also glad that your not the GM. Thompsons first year numbers are almost identical to Antonio McDyess. So I suspose you would have just dumped him after one year too.

Reynolds in his interview on the rise guys show was pretty adamant about the Kings being in no position to trade any of the young pieces that they had, because they simply didn't have enough of them. I happen to agree with that.

DON'T trade Hawes or Thompson! If we keep trading young 1 and 2 year players for more unknowns we are never going to get anywhere. Hawes and Thompson have shown they can play together well. Why ruin that for the assumption that we will get something better?

L

LWP777

Dear God, spare me these people that think they know exactly what a players limits are after one year. I'm glad you don't care about not having a PF. I'm also glad that your not the GM. Thompsons first year numbers are almost identical to Antonio McDyess. So I suspose you would have just dumped him after one year too.

Reynolds in his interview on the rise guys show was pretty adamant about the Kings being in no position to trade any of the young pieces that they had, because they simply didn't have enough of them. I happen to agree with that.

Look, we are here to express our opinion. I've played, coached, and officiated basketball a long time in my life and it's just my opinion that he won't ever be a top 5 PF. I hope I am wrong, but that is just my gut feeling. Yes, he's very durable, but he has an average jumper, has a hard time finishing around the rim, and his post moves are raw. This is a guy who is already 23 years old and played 4 years in college.

If we can trade him and a worthless Garcia for a chance at a GREAT player, then you do it. We won 17 games last year, why are we so worried about who our power forward is going to be? Who cares? We won 17 games with a full starting lineup -- how neat!

Hey, if you want a starting power forward, then make this trade happen, draft Rubio and either Curry or Evans and then get your checkbook out for Carlos Boozer. That's a complete lineup.

SF: Noc
PF: Boozer
C : Hawes
SG: Martin
PG: Rubio

Bench: Curry/Evans
Bench: Beno
Bench: #23 pick
Bench: Diogo
Bench: Greene
Bench: 2nd round pick
Bench: K9