Rick Adelman in Houston

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As an aside 17 in a row is tied for the 7th longest streak in league history. If they could beat the Hornets (and I think the Hornets would really hae to be favored there, at least if West is able to go) 18 would be tied for 4th. In fact after the Lakers untouchable 33 game streak from the early 70's, the second longest streak in league history is 20 games, only three more than the Rockets currrently have. With games vs. New Jersey, Atlanta, and Charlotte following the Horents game, if they could get by that hump they could easily be at 21 with the second longest streak in league history by the time they meet the Lakers next Sunday.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
the way that West has been playing for the Hornets ever since he has been picked for the ASG - I am not sure how much that is a plus or a minus because he has been inconsistant at best. Still obviously capable of putting big numbers. The bench will be key becayse NOH hardly has one. Also I Refer Alston has been playing like an all star and I have been waiting for him to drop down to earth but it isn't happening yet. Landry has been insane and man I wish we had Scola. Even bobby hit some shots tonight but then again Bobby and the Mavs - that is a whole different chapter

If Adelman can pull playoffs off and maybe a top 4 seed, he deserves COY hands down. Right now though, I'd give it to Jerry Sloan or Byron Scott.

thats how you get it done

rockets pounding the mavs. a steady dose of t-mac in the entire 4th quarter. every play was run through mcgrady. and he delivered. nice drives, throw down dunks, signing shoes with 4 minutes left in the game. it was lovely to see bobby jackson get off. they started talking about his days with sacramento. when he sees dallas he sees christmas

According to Sam Amick, they'll have Justin Williams to help out down low too...

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/767619.html

Going to Houston – According to the Houston Chronicle, big man Justin Williams, who was waived by the Kings as a result of the Feb. 16 trade that sent Mike Bibby to Atlanta, will sign a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets.

Former Kings are having hell of a season. Pedja who was presumed dead just a year ago has found a great niche with a very good team, Bobby and now Justin reunited with Rick, Hedo coming to his own in Orlando and C-Webb goes straight from unemployment line to those crazy helter-skelter Warriors and is looking good. Atlanta needs to make playoffs and that'll be that - GP and Kings will have repaid the league for all the rip off jobs that we pulled since trading for Webber.

If I wasn't so envious of those other teams (Houston, GS and NO in particular), I'd be really happy for the guys. ;)

Congrats to Adelman. He's an excellent coach with a long track record to prove it, but he just wasn't a good match for the Kings owners. Unfortunately, in the minds of many, if you haven't won a championship, you will never be considered a great coach. To which I am reminded of Dick Motta, who had won a championship, but still couldn't get the Kings out of the lottery! (Yeah, I know, the Kings didn't have the same talent back then... wah wah wah...)

If Adelman can pull playoffs off and maybe a top 4 seed, he deserves COY hands down. Right now though, I'd give it to Jerry Sloan or Byron Scott.
Well, Houston did make the playoffs last year and did win 55 games so I'm not totally sure why it's a shock that they are doing well. Yao also played in more games this year than last year as well and McGrady has been relatively healthy. If they go 14-7 over the next 21 game they match last years total.

My vote goes to Byron Scott.

Well, Houston did make the playoffs last year and did win 55 games so I'm not totally sure why it's a shock that they are doing well. Yao also played in more games this year than last year as well and McGrady has been relatively healthy. If they go 14-7 over the next 21 game they match last years total.

Oh come on, give the man some credit...

Bricklayer

The Rockets won 52 games last year.

2nd time I have had to correct you on that. Perhaps about the time Adelman crosses the 1000 win barrier you may actually come back to look at all of your Adelman bashing as a bit silly.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Despite Chris Paul's best efforts tonight (and they were spectacular) its now:

tied for 4th longest in league history, and three bad Eastern Conference teams (New Jersey, Atlanta, Charlotte) in a row coming up.

The three longest streaks in history are:
33 -- '72 Lakers
20 -- '71 Bucks
19 -- '00 Lakers

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hey Brick seeing that title I was thinking this could have been the initial thread.

Rick Adelman in Houston. Any questions?

Does anyone else think that it's interesting the in the 18 straight wins, the Rockets have had 20 or more assists IN EVERY GAME!!!

Wow. Eighteen straight in the NBA. I had been one of the doubters about Rick back in the latter days of the Kingdom. Consider that old business. Hat's off to RA in HOU. I got my answer!!

Since they've been able to win without Yao, the pressure is going to be back on to get out of the first round. All these wins should at least help them get a decent matchup.

Bricklayer

Since they've been able to win without Yao, the pressure is going to be back on to get out of the first round. All these wins should at least help them get a decent matchup.

I know. That will be the unfair part about it. Wihtout Yao the Rockets are NOT an overwhelmingly talented team, and will almost certainly be less talented than their opponent in the first round. This amazing streak they are on will be ancient history by then as well and they will have come back down to earth. Yet if they lose to whatever 50+-win team they happen to draw in the first round, once again they will have to endrue the talk of is the season a failure, Rick will have to endure another round of questions about playoff coaching etc.

Ryan

I like turtles
True, but I'd rather face anybody than see the Spurs in the first round, and at this point avoiding the Lakers would seem to be wise.
yeah i know i'm just playing. Actually, especially this year in the west, matchups are key. I can see them doing very well against a team like the Suns or Mavs.

Not only 20 straight but 29 of the last 32! Hello! That is insane.

Someone else pointed out to me that on the 20 game run, the Kings had the closest game with them hitting a buzzer beating three for the win. Just thought I'd share.

I saw Pat Reily actually adjust and 'evolve' as a coach during the Heat title run. If he can learn some new tricks after his track record, then anybody can.

Props to Rick. Perhaps a little perspective after he got fired allowed him to grow as well. I look forward to watching him in the Playoffs... to see if he has evolved as a game manager.