Revising the Rudy Gay question (new poll)

Is it good for the Kings if Rudy Gay opts in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not a fan of leaders (almost one dimentional scorers) like Rudy and never liked too much the idea of bringing him to Sacramento; especially not optimistic after this long injury. Someone here mention Rudy as 6th man next year, and i'm fine with it, but if we draft a SF rookie, i really hope Rudy won't steal him too much minutes (or Malachi, and even Bogdan at small foward sometimes if he comes). But he is a guy who needs to play 35 minutes, right?
We could find him a nice role if don't get someone else at SF, but i still voted for No. Really not a fan of "iso players" with no assist ability, especially in this rebuilding proccess.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not a fan of leaders (almost one dimentional scorers) like Rudy and never liked too much the idea of bringing him to Sacramento; especially not optimistic after this long injury. Someone here mention Rudy as 6th man next year, and i'm fine with it, but if we draft a SF rookie, i really hope Rudy won't steal him too much minutes (or Malachi, and even Bogdan at small foward sometimes if he comes). But he is a guy who needs to play 35 minutes, right?
We could find him a nice role if don't get someone else at SF, but i still voted for No. Really not a fan of "iso players" with no assist ability, especially in this rebuilding proccess.
Rudy can't take anyone's minutes. It's the coach's decision. Thus far, I think Joerger has shown the ability to develop the young players without overplaying them and being more of a hindrance than a help. Rudy is a good "character" guy and if he opts in, I think he'll be another veteran player who will set a good example for the kids.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
This is a bit confusing for me. I just do not see how any team offers Rudy more than 14 mil OR a long term deal this summer. It seems pretty obvious that opting in to collect the check AND demonstrate that his ability to still play makes the most sense for him. Heck if he wants out I am sure that assuming he can play moving him during the season can easily be done. On the other hand this caginess and waiting until June to say anything about it would seem like a guy who is weighing his options... why not just embrace the team give a big smile and tell the fans you can't wait to get back on the court? Oh well.

This is a bit confusing for me. I just do not see how any team offers Rudy more than 14 mil OR a long term deal this summer. It seems pretty obvious that opting in to collect the check AND demonstrate that his ability to still play makes the most sense for him. Heck if he wants out I am sure that assuming he can play moving him during the season can easily be done. On the other hand this caginess and waiting until June to say anything about it would seem like a guy who is weighing his options... why not just embrace the team give a big smile and tell the fans you can't wait to get back on the court? Oh well.
If you look at the contracts handed out last summer and what Wes Matthews got coming off the same injury, I think there is a good chance Rudy opts-out and gets a decent amount of offers this summer.

It may not be 14 mil a year, but he could get 3 years at 36 mil, which would be a risk for him, but more guaranteed money in the long run.

Looks like we will have to wait until mid-June to find out, but I expect he will opt out, as long as he remains on his recovery schedule.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If you look at the contracts handed out last summer and what Wes Matthews got coming off the same injury, I think there is a good chance Rudy opts-out and gets a decent amount of offers this summer.

It may not be 14 mil a year, but he could get 3 years at 36 mil, which would be a risk for him, but more guaranteed money in the long run.

Looks like we will have to wait until mid-June to find out, but I expect he will opt out, as long as he remains on his recovery schedule.
It certainly looks like the Rudy camp thinks you are right. I suppose it hinges on the question will Rudy be able to work out for a team before June 1. I just can't imagine any team picking up a 30 year old with a blown Achilles who is still rehabbing.

I think even if Rudy is ready by the start of training camp I think Joerger puts him on some sort of minute restriction. Maybe 30 at the most through the first couple of months. I think there will be plenty of minutes available 1-3 for Bogdan, Malachi, and Temple...with Galloway being the true backup PG but getting limited minutes with Temple taking on the role as backup PG that he did before Collison came back. It might be fine with Bogdan being the primary ball handler of the second unit and a lot of inside out work with the bigs. Bogdan and Malachi both have good length and they only give up an inch or so to the average small forwards. Strength is the issue there. They can play some 3 as long as they aren't the primary 3.

If the Kings draft Issac..who is the only SF projected to be anywhere near the lottery after Tatum and Jackson...I'd be surprised if he didn't get the Papa G and Skal d-league treatment right away since I think he's a project of sorts.

I'd be fine with Rudy coming back and I'm actually excited to see if he can adjust his game to fit alongside the more ball movement inspired game. I think he can because there have been games where Rudy just played in flow and at the end of the night you look at the box score and saw he had an efficient 20+ points, 7-8 rebounds and a few assists. I doubt Rudy has ever been asked to play a different role outside being an iso scorer. That's the kind of teams he's been on but in Toronto and here..it conflicted with other ball stopper ISO scorers like DeRozan and Cousins. I think Memphis just decided they didn't want to pay him after Gasol and Conley emerged as cornerstones who were due to get paid but there weren't complaints there outside of his durability.

i think there is a chance Rudy can fit in. He'll be working his way back so he won't be carrying too much of a load just by taking it easy. He'll know the direction the staff wants to take and I think showing that he can be a high level piece to a balanced unit is as important to showcase in a contract year than showing he can still be the same scorer. His value wasn't high before the injury even though his contract is pretty favorable for somebody of his ability because of his reputation as somebody that would be hard to work into an an already cohesive offense. Rudy doesn't really need to be that guy. It's not like he tries to get to the line a billion times a game.

Last edited:
I guess we will have to see What kind of interest his agent gets before June 10th from teams and If Rudy is ready to work out for teams and get Physicals before June 10?

I cant remember isn't there rules in Free agency about when contact and negotiations with free agents can start ( July 1st) and verbal agreements can be made even though Agreements can not be signed until July 9. So is there any free agent contact even allowed by June 10 ?

Can agents call teams or teams call agents in early June? And tech isn't rudy our player until he opts out? Secret phone conversations in June?

At least we will know before the draft and free agency on June 10

I think about it this way sometimes... if you took a player with Rudy's attributes who WASN'T Rudy... just some imaginary guy who is a solid 20ppg SF and by all accounts a strong teammate, coming off an achilles injury but you get him for 1 yr $14M... I'd take it. We need one of those.

I hope he comes back. I think he will opt out to be a vet on a playoff team now.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
History shows us that rehabing an achilles injury is a year or more proposition and sometimes the player comes back at 80-90% long term. Modern surgery technology is being touted as influence in Rudy's faster rehab. But........... Lets look at other teams view of him as best we can. The old expression "Ignoring history dooms one to repeat it" has to be taken into account. Who wants to take a $16M risk on Rudy less than a year after surgery? How sure can one be the rehab is really working? etc, etc. Opting out could leave him high and dry. Opting in could burden the Kings with a borderline all-star who is a 20ppg black hole. hmmmm. I voted not sure.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
History shows us that rehabing an achilles injury is a year or more proposition and sometimes the player comes back at 80-90% long term. Modern surgery technology is being touted as influence in Rudy's faster rehab. But........... Lets look at other teams view of him as best we can. The old expression "Ignoring history dooms one to repeat it" has to be taken into account. Who wants to take a $16M risk on Rudy less than a year after surgery? How sure can one be the rehab is really working? etc, etc. Opting out could leave him high and dry. Opting in could burden the Kings with a borderline all-star who is a 20ppg black hole. hmmmm. I voted not sure.
Of course what other teams think doesn't matter. It's what Rudy and his agent think. I assume that his agent is out testing the waters as much as is legally possible. I would think that the Kings gave his agent permission to go shopping. Thing is, other teams don't know any more about Rudy's condition than what Rudy tells them. My guess is, that if Rudy thinks he'll be able to go by training camp, he opts out. Personally I don't much care either way. We have capspace either way, and we have to find a replacement for him either way.

Rudy is a very good baskteball player, but his particular skill set doesn't fit what the Kings are trying to build. Doesn't mean we couldn't find a way to utilize him, but I think both Rudy, and the Kings will be happier with a amicable divorce. I wish Rudy nothing but the best.

Best for both parties that he opts out. He's not apart of the future and we want to give the offensive responsibility to Buddy/Skal/WCS/rookies asap and start letting them develop as franchise cornerstones. Rudy just isn't on the same time-table as we are anymore and I imagine he'd want to go win somewhere else. He can be a valuable piece off the bench for a contender getting 25 MPG.

Don't think he'll have an issue getting a decent 1 year "prove it" deal.