Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I wonder if second round picks will increase in value in the next few years given the surplus of talent. Eventually we will have two more teams to distribute that talent further but this is the most stacked the league has ever been. Guys are playing longer and the International pool is having more success.
They will become more valuable if (or when) they turn the G League into a minor league system where the parent team holds the rights to all the players on that team.
I've been saying this (to friends and family) for a while now...It's time to structure the G League like Triple-A baseball. Assign a single minor league team to a parent team up in the NBA. I think the league has been ready for this structure for some time now; It's time to finally implement it.

I've been saying this (to friends and family) for a while now...It's time to structure the G League like Triple-A baseball. Assign a single minor league team to a parent team up in the NBA. I think the league has been ready for this structure for some time now; It's time to finally implement it.
I believe there are 1 or 2 teams without a G League team. It's time for the NBA to tell them to get on the ball, or miss out on a resource everyone else will have access to.

It's hard to find players (PF/C) that can rebound the ball and shoot at a good 3pt% clip. Even though he doesn't shoot any 3pt shots I do like Plumlee as a backup. We need a backup PF/C but I would prefer we had someone that can shoot a 3pt shot. Slim pickings though on someone we could unload some of our players for.

The players association I believe is what is in the way of the G-League becoming a true minor league farm system, as they don't want guys stuck on 2-way deals in perpetuity. However I think for every guy who is failed by the club that drafts them and gets an immediate opportunity in the NBA with their next club, there are loads of guys who would benefit by the extra investment a team could put into a player knowing they had more than 2 years to work with them.

A lot of people have been suggesting this idea for decades.

I'd absolutely gamble. This would be the time to do it. Kings have more 2nds in the next 5 years than they can ever use and Cam is headed for RFA after this season so if he does happen to hit, we control his rights. If he doesn't work? No harm, no foul, at least you took a flier on the right archetype.

I guess the question would be that would you rather use our expirings for someone like Reddish or "more established" along the lines of McDermott?
Reddish sucks. low bblall IQ. can't shoot. can't defend.

with a team looking to stay on their current path of making the playoffs, we don't really have any use for reclamation projects. it's a big ouch, but I don't think you can say that he hasn't gotten the opportunity. I'd rather give any of those minutes to KZ instead.

This would be a risky trade for this year, but a Harrison Barnes and Alex Len (salary filler) or Terrance Davis (prefer to keep him) for John Collins may wind up being a home run for the Kings. We can throw in a 2nd rounder or 2, if needed too.

Collins age is in sync with the Kings core and he is signed for a few years, while we could lose HB for nothing this summer. HB would give Atlanta a very solid veteran to try and help salvage their season/team. Here is an excerpt from Sam Amick:

After all these years of John Collins trade rumors, executives who have spoken to the Hawks about acquiring the veteran forward recently have indicated that the asking price has — understandably — declined significantly this time around. As I detailed in my recent conversation with Collins, the combination of his large contract and his declined production is hardly helpful in terms of his modern-day value. In some scenarios, the Hawks are merely asking for a quality player in return (and not a first-round pick), according to league sources.
– via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

Last edited:
This would be a risky trade for this year, but a Harrison Barnes and Alex Len (salary filler) or Terrance Davis (prefer to keep him) for John Collins may wind up being a home run for the Kings. We can throw in a 2nd rounder if needed too.

Collins age is in sync with the Kings core and he is signed for a few years, while we could lose HB for nothing this summer. HB would give Atlanta a very solid veteran to try and help salvage their season/team. Here is an excerpt from Sam Amick:

After all these years of John Collins trade rumors, executives who have spoken to the Hawks about acquiring the veteran forward recently have indicated that the asking price has — understandably — declined significantly this time around. As I detailed in my recent conversation with Collins, the combination of his large contract and his declined production is hardly helpful in terms of his modern-day value. In some scenarios, the Hawks are merely asking for a quality player in return (and not a first-round pick), according to league sources.
Man, if all Collins took were our expirings+Barnes+2nds... As much as I love how Barnes has turned things around, I think you have to do that. Especially with Keegan really showing he can play the wing full-time. Collins much younger and more athletic, signed long-term, gives you a little bit of shot-blocking and you still keep the excellent spacing from the 4 slot. I also like you can swing him down to the 5, so you'd solve 2 big problems with the team all in one.

I believe I read Huerter thinks well of Collins.
A trade like this makes some good sense but I wonder if Atlanta would touch it seeing HB’s FA status. Also, recon HB is enjoying the play in Sac and might not be going to the better team.

Last edited:
You have a player option to consider next offseason. What things will influence your decision?

Porzingis --- That’s early. I wish I could tell you something. But I haven’t thought about it at all. It depends on how the year goes. Then we’ll go from there. Anything can happen. We’ll see how we do something as a team. [Kyle] Kuzma also has a player option. We’ll see what he does.

I'd much rather pair up Barnes/Collins than Murray/Collins. As I posted in another thread, Barnes is the Kings best iso player in PPP. Murray and Collins is far too assist dependent and the Kings already have a clear gap in having another top option type in the offense.

Man, if all Collins took were our expirings+Barnes+2nds... As much as I love how Barnes has turned things around, I think you have to do that. Especially with Keegan really showing he can play the wing full-time. Collins much younger and more athletic, signed long-term, gives you a little bit of shot-blocking and you still keep the excellent spacing from the 4 slot. I also like you can swing him down to the 5, so you'd solve 2 big problems with the team all in one.
Kings might have to change the protections on the Huerter pick to get it done. But it is a swing I am intrigued by. It might not help the crap defense. But Collins would be a dunk machine off passes from Fox and Domas.

In regards to John Collins, I’m not giving up Barnes or our young guys for him. He’s not the perfect fit we’d be looking for. That said he’s a talented young man who isn’t a horrid fit. I’d be more accepting of an offer like…

Richaun Holmes
Terence Davis
Alex Len
2023 SAC 1st (Unprotected Pick Swap)
2024 SAC 1st (change protection from Top 14 to Top 4)
2025 SAC 1st (Unprotected Pick Swap)

for

John Collins

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dellavedova
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Barnes / Okpala
PF - Collins / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Metu

Then next season you could go over the cap to resign Barnes and Lyles, use our exception on a backup C, and draft BPA with our 2023 1st.

I’d imagine that ATL would push for a 2026 1st instead of 2023 and 2025 pick swaps. I could be talked into it (would need to think about it some more), but if we could make the the deal above as proposed, it gives us many assets to use in a consolidation trade if a star becomes available.

Fox
Mitchell
Huerter
Monk
Barnes
Murray
Collins
Sabonis
Who we draft with our 2023 1st
2026 1st
2027 1st Pick Swap
2028 1st
2029 1st Pick Swap
2030 1st

Giving up more 1st picks without knowing we will be a playoff caliber team for years seems dangerous. I may change my position on that after the season if we get past the first round in the playoffs.

I think it’s not a good idea to move any of our 7 or 8 deep. Everyone not named Monk or Lyles on the bench I would not be bothered trying to snag a couple of other teams players trying to reset because they have to.

Giving up more 1st picks without knowing we will be a playoff caliber team for years seems dangerous. I may change my position on that after the season if we get past the first round in the playoffs.

I think it’s not a good idea to move any of our 7 or 8 deep. Everyone not named Monk or Lyles on the bench I would not be bothered trying to snag a couple of other teams players trying to reset because they have to.
Well in my proposal you’re just lessening the protection of a 1st already owed to ATL from Top 14 to Top 4. And then the pick swaps still leaves us with a pick. It’s just the lower pick between us and ATL.

I'd much rather pair up Barnes/Collins than Murray/Collins. As I posted in another thread, Barnes is the Kings best iso player in PPP. Murray and Collins is far too assist dependent and the Kings already have a clear gap in having another top option type in the offense.
I just don't like Collins fit here at all with Sabonis manning the middle. Even at his best he's a far, far inferior floor spacer to all three of our non-franchise starters, and despite his improvements as an individual defender, the question of his defense is still valid because he still can't step out onto the perimeter as a 4/3 flex or man the middle and is boxed into the traditional 4.

You need a shot-blocking, floor spacing unicorn 5 to make Collins work best.

Reports are Philly will be trying to shed the contracts of Jaden Springer and Furkan Korkmaz...

I'd trade Len and Delly for those 2(works in the trade machine), not sure what they'd be looking for tho.

This would be a risky trade for this year, but a Harrison Barnes and Alex Len (salary filler) or Terrance Davis (prefer to keep him) for John Collins may wind up being a home run for the Kings. We can throw in a 2nd rounder or 2, if needed too.

Too much risk. I don't like the guy's work ethic. He gets down on life then goes into a funk. He's not motivated. No thanks.

JOHN COLLINS IS 6'9 guys not a good fit here
His size is the least of my concerns in regards to the PF we want next to Sabonis. Last thing we want to do is pair him with a slow footed C. We need an athletic, versatile forward.

My biggest concerns with Collins is he's not really the pure shooter I'd want at PF (he does a lot of his damage within the 3PT line) and he's not the defender we want either.

Ideally, I want our PF to have the following attributes:
  • 7’0”+ wingspan
  • 8’10”+ standing reach
  • 220+ lbs
  • 5.0+ 3PAs per 36 min
  • .360+ 3PT%
  • 7.0+ REBs per 36 min
  • 1.5+ BLKs per 36 min
  • Great, high IQ PF defender
  • Versatile/switchable defender
  • 28 years or younger

There may not be a player who even checks all of those boxes, but that's generally what I'm looking for. The guys below seem to have most of those attributes but it's easier said than done to acquire one of them:
  • OG Anunoby
  • Tari Eason
  • Jerami Grant
  • Jaren Jackson
  • Jaden McDaniels
  • Jalen McDaniels
  • Trey Murphy
  • Aleksej Pokusveski
  • Jabari Smith
  • PJ Washington
  • Grant Williams
  • Patrick Williams

I'd imagine that McNair is going to try and clear Holmes salary for cap space either this trade deadline or during the offseason, resign Barnes, and then try and sign one of Jerami Grant, PJ Washington, Grant Williams, Cam Johnson, or Jalen McDaniels. If he strikes out, I could see him gauging trade interest for guys like OG Anunoby, Jaden McDaniels, Trey Murphy, Aleksej Pokusveski, & Patrick Williams with him offering up a 1st or two (depending on who it is).

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - ??? / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Free Agent

That's a very solid, well balanced team. Great starting lineup, plenty of spacing, excellent bench, etc. It just depends on who ??? turns out to be.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Reports are Philly will be trying to shed the contracts of Jaden Springer and Furkan Korkmaz...

I'd trade Len and Delly for those 2(works in the trade machine), not sure what they'd be looking for tho.
Not sure why the hell Philly would even want to get rid of those two but I'd absolutely say yes before Morey had a chance to change his mind

Oh yeah, Jaden Springer. You jump at that if Philly is trying to give him away, you take him

Oh yeah, Jaden Springer. You jump at that if Philly is trying to give him away, you take him
I liked his game coming out of Tennessee. I didn't really understand the gap in value between Mitchell and Springer at the time of the draft, and think I even said that I like Springer's ability to stick in the NBA more due to his size, length, and FT% (I had a hard time believing in Mitchell's 3P% when he was shooting 64% from the stripe in college).

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - ??? / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Free Agent
Best case scenario IMO... re-sign Barnes ($16M) and sign Kuzma ($16M), splitting the $32m that I think you said would be available after trading Holmes. Kuzma doesn't seem to be all about the money so he could be open to that. Being in Cali and playing for a contender seem to be important to him. Hopefully it's the same for Barnes. Bobby Portis signed a 4-year deal @ 48M at the Bucks. Then trade the 2023 pick on draft night for Jarred Vanderbilt.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dozier
SG - Huerter / Monk / Davis
PF - Kuzma / Vanderbilt / Metu or Lyles
C - Sabonis / (Sign Noel?) / (Trade for Sims from NYK?)

A main forward rotation of Murray, Kuzma, Barnes and Vanderbilt would be dynamite because any combination of two from the four would work for different situations or when some are resting or injured. Need more defense against a Giannis, Embiid, Luka, AD or Tatum? Go Murray-Vanderbilt. Need more scoring? Go Murray-Kuzma. Need more efficiency? Go Murray-Barnes. If Murray and Barnes are out? Kuzma and Vanderbilt still works as Kuz can play SF.

This is the sort of depth the Kings will need if they reach the finals, to beat teams like the Celtics and Bucks.

Last edited:
I liked his game coming out of Tennessee. I didn't really understand the gap in value between Mitchell and Springer at the time of the draft, and think I even said that I like Springer's ability to stick in the NBA more due to his size, length, and FT% (I had a hard time believing in Mitchell's 3P% when he was shooting 64% from the stripe in college).
A lot of the draft stat nerds were super high on him. He popped in a lot of analytics

Best case scenario IMO... re-sign Barnes ($16M) and sign Kuzma ($16M), splitting the $32m that I think you said would be available after trading Holmes. Kuzma doesn't seem to be all about the money so he could be open to that. Being in Cali and playing for a contender seem to be important to him. Hopefully it's the same for Barnes. Bobby Portis signed a 4-year deal @ 48M at the Bucks. Then trade the 2023 pick on draft night for Jarred Vanderbilt.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dozier
SG - Huerter / Monk / Davis
PF - Kuzma / Vanderbilt / Metu or Lyles
C - Sabonis / (Sign Noel?) / (Trade for Sims from NYK?)

A main forward rotation of Murray, Kuzma, Barnes and Vanderbilt would be dynamite because any combination of two from the four would work for different situations or when some are resting or injured. Need more defense against a Giannis, Embiid, Luka, AD or Tatum? Go Murray-Vanderbilt. Need more scoring? Go Murray-Kuzma. Need more efficiency? Go Murray-Barnes. If Murray and Barnes are out? Kuzma and Vanderbilt still works as Kuz can play SF.

This is the sort of depth the Kings will need if they reach the finals, to beat teams like the Celtics and Bucks.
Not a fan of Kuzma at all. I don't want a high volume, meh efficiency PF next to Sabonis. He gives me chucker, "me player" vibes which I wouldn't want in our locker room potentially impacting our chemistry. He's not the shooter or defender I'd desire at PF either.

Also, we definitely shouldn't trade our 1st round pick for an expiring Vanderbilt. That's poor asset management considering we'd have control over that young player for ~8 years (considering RFA).