Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I don't see a deal atm where the Kings can land a 3rd star thats the right age not injury prone and worth the price, I would try to get a couple decent upgrade pieces e.g Dillion Brooks + someone else and try build on that. Maybe trade with ATL again for Bey.
I

I'd be thrilled with this. Vastly improves the defense and rebounding in the starting LU and gets Keegan to his more natural slot at the 4 rather than chasing around guards/wings on the perimeter all game.

I think you'd have to above the MLE though. Split HB's money between him and Vezenkov? Probably needs to be like a 4/50 to 4/60 deal.

Fox || Davion
Huerter || Monk
Brown || Vezenkov
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || ??? (We all want Lyles here, but I won't actually believe Brown will commit to it until we see it).

With #24, #38, Queta, Ellis, Edwards to round out the bench. Seems good to me.

Last edited:
Yeah and Bruce Brown isn't a guy who's gotten a major contract yet in the NBA. Going to be 27 next season, coming off being a valuable role player for a title team. His value probably won't be higher.

$5mil is a ton for a dude who's made 15 mil in his career. In addition to locking in the long-term contract now, while his value is at his peak and he's healthy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And Brown would have to sign a three-year deal starting at that $7.6M to even be eligible for an extension. He can sign a three-year MLE starting at $12.2M and be in the exact same financial situation, be eligible for a *larger* extension based on 120% of his salary (if that's the route he would end up going), and have another $15M in pre-tax earnings to show for it. Brown gives up A LOT to sign with Denver.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bruce Brown was one of my wish list guys last off-season. Do what it takes to get him here……and Veznekoff
Draft a wing that surprises everyone with how ready he is and who is a contributor
Sign another low key wing to make up for loss of HB who we let go

He is being paid 39 mil this year. He was actually good this year and in the playoffs but the kings as a landing spot makes no sense. Holmes+ cap space + a couple second rounders? Don’t see how that would be good for either team

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He is being paid 39 mil this year. He was actually good this year and in the playoffs but the kings as a landing spot makes no sense. Holmes+ cap space + a couple second rounders? Don’t see how that would be good for either team
The dude is a massive expiring contract next offseason but aside from that I don't know why we'd particularly need him at this point. I guess getting off the Holmes contract would be nice but it's probably still not worth all that trouble.

if
I could see the Kings doing it to replace Barnes with a similar PF/SF short term and opening up more space next summer for Sabonis and Monk by dumping Holmes (although you would then have to figure out what to do about the PF/SF spot again. But you’d have a larger sample of Keegan and a year of Sasha to evaluate).

This article assumes Sixers would need cap relief after re-signing Harden but hard to imagine they’d want a straight dump of Harris.

if

I could see the Kings doing it to replace Barnes with a similar PF/SF short term and opening up more space next summer for Sabonis and Monk by dumping Holmes (although you would then have to figure out what to do about the PF/SF spot again. But you’d have a larger sample of Keegan and a year of Sasha to evaluate).

This article assumes Sixers would need cap relief after re-signing Harden but hard to imagine they’d want a straight dump of Harris.
we are restricted to a starting salary of 17 ish mil for Monk because of the deal we gave him and we have rights to Sabonis so cap space isn’t an issue there. We would get Holmes off the books and Tobias is probably a slight upgrade over HB but I just don’t see this as
The best either team can do

we are restricted to a starting salary of 17 ish mil for Monk because of the deal we gave him and we have rights to Sabonis so cap space isn’t an issue there. We would get Holmes off the books and Tobias is probably a slight upgrade over HB but I just don’t see this as
The best either team can do
Yeah, didn’t mean cap space as much as space to work under the new luxury tax thresholds everyone seems to be losing their minds about now. Agree it’s probably not the best option, but I would understand the motivation.

To be honest, Harris is right in that Barnes/Kuz range as far as the numbers go and since he's expiring it's a perfect give it a shot type of move that fills a need for individual scoring ability with very little long term damage. I'd totally like to see Monte land Harris using that space and some dead salary.

The dude is a massive expiring contract next offseason but aside from that I don't know why we'd particularly need him at this point. I guess getting off the Holmes contract would be nice but it's probably still not worth all that trouble.
If they can dump Homes any way possible Monte needs to do it, but this would ideal. You get a temporary need filler that if it works it actually helps a ton and you still don't stick yourself with a mega contract in a West that might be totally different than last season at the start.

Let’s hear what the Captain or some other cap expert has to say on this. If we trade Holmes for Tobias, sign Domas to a max next year, sign Sasha for 8 mil, sign Monk to the 17 mil a year deal plus our draft picks this year, do we have cap space next off season? If so, how much?

Anyone think there’s any smoke to PG being potentially shopped by the Clippers? They would want a mountain of assets back, but it is PG and he would solve many of our issues. Even if he is being secretly shopped, I think we are an unlikely destination. Would almost certainly have to give up Keegan and we are in the same division. He is a great player though!

Let’s hear what the Captain or some other cap expert has to say on this. If we trade Holmes for Tobias, sign Domas to a max next year, sign Sasha for 8 mil, sign Monk to the 17 mil a year deal plus our draft picks this year, do we have cap space next off season? If so, how much?
I think there is basically no way that the Kings have any space or at least significant cap space next offseason. Domas has a 31 million dollar cap hold but he'll probably sign a max immediately anyway. Monk is like 12. I'm not sure about the exact numbers but the only way to have any significant cap space near max level would require dumping Huerter, not re-signing Barnes to anything longer than a 1 year deal, and probably not expecting to re-sign Monk. If they can find a way to move Holmes it would help but in the end, shooting for space to sign a max type player next offseason likely isn't a realistic goal nor worth shooting for since it has too many variables at this point. The window for Monte to use cap space to get something via trade is this offseason.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Next offseason is a bit less of a worry, because Harris is expiring. If we're looking at him as a one-year thing, no big deal.

But to absorb the Harris contract, we've got to have $39.2M of cap space. With the new numbers out today, that means we'd have to be at $96.8M tops. Assume that Holmes is a part of the deal. My numbers put us at $97.7M if we renounce all cap holds but include #24 and keep Edwards and use roster charges to fill to 12 players. If you assume that Philly is going to want #24 for Harris (seems safe) that would sneak us under that $96.8M and we could do Holmes + 24 for Harris straight up, at least if Philly is OK with that. Obviously they lose on talent, but they save about $25M this year, and since Harden is expected to opt out they would have a metric boatload of cap space.

That kind of put us up against the wall a bit. We would be:
Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk
Murray/Edwards
Harris (Vezenkov)
Sabonis

Presumably we would then try to use the room MLE to sign Vezenkov (that's up to $7.6M three years, that should do it) and be forced to patch the rest together with min contracts. Lyles would be a goner. We'd be basically 8 deep with Queta or a min contract guy getting the backup C minutes. Is that an upgrade? Since we figure we can get Sasha either way, it's effectively Barnes (or FA replacement) + Lyles + #24 for Harris. Hurts our depth a decent amount.

Next offseason is a bit less of a worry, because Harris is expiring. If we're looking at him as a one-year thing, no big deal.

But to absorb the Harris contract, we've got to have $39.2M of cap space. With the new numbers out today, that means we'd have to be at $96.8M tops. Assume that Holmes is a part of the deal. My numbers put us at $97.7M if we renounce all cap holds but include #24 and keep Edwards and use roster charges to fill to 12 players. If you assume that Philly is going to want #24 for Harris (seems safe) that would sneak us under that $96.8M and we could do Holmes + 24 for Harris straight up, at least if Philly is OK with that. Obviously they lose on talent, but they save about $25M this year, and since Harden is expected to opt out they would have a metric boatload of cap space.

That kind of put us up against the wall a bit. We would be:
Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk
Murray/Edwards
Harris (Vezenkov)
Sabonis

Presumably we would then try to use the room MLE to sign Vezenkov (that's up to $7.6M three years, that should do it) and be forced to patch the rest together with min contracts. Lyles would be a goner. We'd be basically 8 deep with Queta or a min contract guy getting the backup C minutes. Is that an upgrade? Since we figure we can get Sasha either way, it's effectively Barnes (or FA replacement) + Lyles + #24 for Harris. Hurts our depth a decent amount.
No way to squeeze in the Lyles cap hold, huh? That and the pick is too rich for me.

Unless Lyles is slotted in to be the backup C, you let him go. The bar in the West might be too high to justify that kind of peripheral move. Don't get into another Holmes situation until at least Holmes is off the books.