Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Davion is much more valuable to the Kings than to the NBA as a whole.

Holmes is not the negative contract it's being made out to be. He's an MLE player that this year is not living up to the contract. It's got 2 years left, it's not that big of a deal. We just may not get value out of it, but we are not paying to eat it. It's less than 10% of the cap.

The reason we are discussing Len, Holmes, KZ, TD as the trade candidates, is because they are salary filler for the on the fringe type of moves that we may get done with seconds and helping a team out of a luxury tax issue.

I do not believe we will be involved in any large moves. We trade budding start for existing star last year, and traded a bag of chips and a protect FRP for dead eye shooter, starting SG who plays his role. We also drafted a player, that is a dead eye shooter and you can see very positive signs of significant player growth in the way that we need for this team. Also, signed Monk who is Fox's buddy and provides energy.
This is kind of the same thing that happens to players like him. Role crunches him down and that value eventually fades. Not too unlike Thybulle honestly. That said, yeah, moving him now makes no sense. Moving him before he's in the last year of his deal might be wise however. There's time for that though.

I find people on this forum just blow my kind sometimes... Throwing in our best perimeter defender (Davion) into deals for low level role players, to make salaries work! A guy who would be an all-nba defensive team member if he were on a team that got an ounce of respect around the league. Thats wild reminds me of the kings giving away FRPs to get out from under Jason Thompsons and landry deals. Then many of these people advocate moving our veteran (Barnes), who is the main guy who settles this team in times of turmoil and is the only true SF on this team, and the Swiss army knife of this team, to the bench for a one dimensional role player (albeit an elite defender).

The starting lineup has an o-rating of 119 (1st in league) and a d-rating of 110 (4th best). Those numbers improved when davion subbed for Fox, especially defensively. The issue becomes when anyone other than barnes or Murray are at the 3 (esp huerter). The defensive rating drops to 118-120. That probably is much lower if Metu is on the floor with Huerter at the 3. Metu has been sliding into old bad habits, getting out on the perimeter and shooting 3s.

If we go for Thybull, i would advocate using him at the 3, never playing Huerter there. I do think that Holmes should be given another run behind sabonis, especially next to lyles who i have found has a good bball iq and is a barnes/murray type stablizing player. The lineups id run

Fox/Huerter/Barnes/Murray/Sabonis
Mitchell/Monk (or TD)/Thybull/Murray/Sabonis
Fox/Monk (or TD)/Thybull/Lyles/Holmes
Fox/Huerter/Barnes/Murray/Lyles
Mitchell/Huerter/Thybull/Lyles/Sabonis
Mitchell/Thybull/Barnes/Lyles/Sabonis - probably the best defensive lineup

Rare use of everyone else.

If Monte somehow turned TD into Thybulle and Niang, I would scream. Niang would be another good floor spacing forward and Thybulle would give us an elite wing defender. Don’t see how it could possibly happen but make it happen Monte.
Yeah Niang would be a excellent vet with toughness and good trolling ability to go along with shooting

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Monte somehow turned TD into Thybulle and Niang, I would scream. Niang would be another good floor spacing forward and Thybulle would give us an elite wing defender. Don’t see how it could possibly happen but make it happen Monte.
The one thing that is weird about this is that Thybulle is classified as a "stretch big". His numbers must be pretty unique.

So of all the moves that we heard smoke about (with Monte), the only one that ever actually materialized was Donte Divencenzo, and the only reason we knew about it was because of tampering done by Miluakee.

(ignore the nonsense that happened in Oct 2021 when there was a short offseason, no assets, and limited upside of the team)

Hali Pick - no smoke
Davion Pick - no smoke
Hali trade - outta left field
Heurter trade - no smoke
Monk signing - some smoke, but most of that was the De'Aaron connection
Bagley Trade - I mean, that kinda was what it was. It was always happening in some shape or form, just happened to correlate with Donte.
Keegan draft - this is probably the most talked about thing that actually happened. But it was all pure speculation until right before the draft because everyone assumed the Kings would leverage that pick for a pick + asset in some way, and then they just drafted the dude they wanted all along.

So Amick quashing the Thybulle stuff seems par for the course.

that would be amazing
How about:

TD 4M and 2024 2nd rd from dallas for Matisse Thybulle 4.3M and Paul Reed 1.7M

They wont give up Niang, All enders, Saves 2 Mil in salary for Philly almost eliminates their Luxury tax

might have to waive Delly for roster spot, either use Reed as backup C or he expires

Reed not really in philly "C" rotation (Embid, Harrell)

How about:

TD 4M and 2024 2nd rd from dallas for Matisse Thybulle 4.3M and Paul Reed 1.7M

They wont give up Niang, All enders, Saves 2 Mil in salary for Philly almost eliminates their Luxury tax

might have to waive Delly for roster spot, either use Reed as backup C or he expires

Reed not really in philly "C" rotation (Embid, Harrell)
good with that as well . Big Thybulle fan

I haven't watched him play much with Philly but Thybulle was extremely valuable for the Aus national team at the Olympics, especially in the bronze medal game and matching up with Luka. Obviously not super skilled offensively, but played with energy and could scrap around. Can see how a Harden offence would make it harder for him.

I suspect our "waivable" roster spot right now is Deonte Burton on the 10-day.
I completely missed the Kings even offering him a 10 day. I think it's a shame Burton doesn't have a role in the NBA. He's a monster of a SG that's really grown skill wise and has the classic playmaking ability of most Iowa State G's.

As many here seem to have suggested, I don’t think Davion is a lock to be here after the deadline.

Monk is looking more & more comfortable as our backup PG and shifting him to that role allows us to limit us having to put a super small backcourt out there for for the majority of the time. In fact, the Kings have two small guards on the floor an average of ~37 mpg. That’s a long time to play at a size disadvantage and that lack of length, size, rebounding, etc. doesn’t help the defense.

I think if the right trade comes along, McNair wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on a Davion trade.

Zach Collins would be a nice get, but I'm not including Davion in any trade not bringing us back a starter level player.

Switch TD in for Davion in your trade proposal and we throw in a couple of 2nd rounders, I would do the deal.
I mean Davion is not a starting level player. At least at this point. And I could easily argue Richardson is a starting caliber player. He’s started in 65% of his games and is currently averaging (per36 min)…

.568 TS%
.446 FG%
.364 3P%
.875 FT%
17.6 PPG
4.3 RPG
5.0 APG
1.3 SPG
0.3 BPG
2.3 TOPG

We obviously wouldn’t be using him as a starter on our team but he’s a solid player nonetheless.

That being said, I wouldn’t be opposed to a trade like the one you suggested…

Richaun Holmes
Terrence Davis
2023 SAC 2nd
2023 IND 2nd

For

Josh Richardson
Zach Collins

But I doubt we could move off of Holmes AND get these types of useful players back. It’d have to be one or their other most likely.

I love me some Zach Collins, but I'm not trading Davion unless it's for a potential long-term core piece. This is essentially using Davion to cap dump Holmes... which is very bleh.

We can get Collins with expirings and 2nds.
I mean that’s not all it is. Cap dump assumes we’d be receiving expirings that likely won’t be of much use to us or that we wouldnt consider resigning. I don’t think either Richardson or Collins falls into that department. Both would make this team better this year and I could see is keeping them past this season as well. Also, I think the early 2nd in a deep draft is being overlooked as well.