Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

All the way in and then some. A better KZ Okpala and the same sort of defensive aptitude that Davion brings, except as a wing. Get a free trial run to close the year if you can figure anything out on offense and can just let him go if it doesn't work out. But certainly helps our giant hole in terms of wing defense.
Also I'm pretty sure his value is massively depressed right now. Think we might be able to get him without dipping into our Top 8 or any first rounders. Philly's pretty sick of him.

I proposed a TD for Thybulle swap a few weeks back. We need defense and they need shooting. I haven’t seen him this year but earlier he was unplayable on offense. Has that changed?

I dont think Philly will trade Thybulle considering they will need to go through at least 1 or 2 of them: Tatum/Brown, Middleton, KD/Irving or Mitchell.
Maybe things have changed but a few weeks ago it sounded like Thybulle was fodder to them. Like a 2nd would get it done kind of stuff.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If Daryl Morey actually wants to trade Thybulle instead of re-signing him, it's probably because he's been squeezed out of the guard rotation by De'Anthony Melton who continues to be one of the more underrated players in the league. The salaries match but I can't imagine taking back Terence Davis does anything for them. They'll probably want injury insurance in the form of a decent back-up center for Joel which is one thing we can't offer them. It might have to be a three-team deal but Morey and McNair being long-time co-workers with lots of experience making those kinds of deals should at least give us a fighting chance. Thybulle is a non-factor on offense but he's all-league on defense which is what we need.

Also I'm pretty sure his value is massively depressed right now. Think we might be able to get him without dipping into our Top 8 or any first rounders. Philly's pretty sick of him.
Their usage of him this year says it all. In his contract year, going from 50 starts-25 MPG, to 0 starts, 12 MPG off the bench. I'm fairly certain if they can get a couple 2nds for him and an expiring, he's gone. Len would sense for them to add to their back-up C platoon of Trez and Reed, neither of whom have really done much to stake out that back-up C slot. And with how much Joel misses, another body would probably be useful.

I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 2nd's to get a trial run at Thybulle. Highly unlikely you ever find a guy with his defensive talent at any of those picks and we have far too many over the next 5 years to ever use. Controlling Thybulle's rights is another added bonus where if Brown can unlock anything from him on offense, he's certainly a future option at the 3 long-term next to Murray. Or at the very least a 20+ MPG defensive wizard at a position we can't defend.

There are other players that I like better, but if Thybulle is gettable and would be taking KZ’s minutes - I’m not seeing a downside.

A Fox unit with Monk, Thybulle, Lyles and [some guy that can block shots/rebound/dunk] could be pretty useful.

Last edited:
If Thuybulle is available for an expiring and some seconds you go and get him, no questions asked. He is exactly the type of guy this team needs. First off, I am not super worried about his offense. He has always played in Philly, off of Embiid, in a system where you stand in the corner and wait for a three ball. With Harden, it is worse. There is no movement on the offense at all. I think he would do much better in a Sabonis offense. Thuybulle has shown the ability and willingness to cut, and has been a decent finisher in the paint. He is certainly not feared from the outside, but he is a career 33% 3Pt shooter, and was 35% as a rookie before his confidence was sunk. I think if you played him with Sabonis he could be an interesting cutter/corner three shooter. He would definitely be you fifth option, but I think there is some upside.

If you get him, he is the perfect piece for the ninth rotation spot this year. Let him play 12-18 minutes off the bench as a stopper, and let him play a good amount of those minutes in a Sabonis, Keegan/Barnes, Thuybulle frontcourt. I think he would be fine. You could go nine deep with the starters, Lyles, Monk, Mitchell, and Thuybulle. Your defense is immediately better.

Long term, if he pans out, his perfect role is the role that Brown envisioned for Okpala this year. If you resign Barnes, then let Thuybulle start with Sabonis, Keegan. Huerter, and Fox. There is plenty of offense and shooting, and great space to play as a cutter. Plus, Thuybulle gives you the defensive edge as a starting unit and allows you to stagger he and Davion so that one of them is on the floor all the time. I still think he would only play 16 minutes or so a game, but he would play the first 8 of each half (and then maybe in crunch time if you needed a stop). A bench of Barnes, Monk, Mitchell, and Lyles would have a lot of firepower and grit.

Long term, you re-sign Barnes, and draft another wing, and this lineup looks pretty good, with these guys all under contract and the chance to add in free agency.

Sabonis/Lyles/Holmes/Queta
Keegan/Barnes
Thuybulle/Barnes/2023 FRP
Huerter/Monk
Fox/Mitchell

I don't mind taking Thybulle if we don't really have to give up much for him but there's a reason why he doesn't play much and is on the trading block despite being one of the best defenders in the game.

I think the odds of him actually making the Kings better with regular rotation minutes is really low. Yeah he brings something we have a huge need for but he balances it out with some of the worst offense you can get from an NBA player. He might take KZ's minutes or get put in for a defensive stop at the end of a game but I don't see him positively contributing for 15min a night.

Sixers aren't looking to get rid of him because he's awesome.

I don't mind taking Thybulle if we don't really have to give up much for him but there's a reason why he doesn't play much and is on the trading block despite being one of the best defenders in the game.

I think the odds of him actually making the Kings better with regular rotation minutes is really low. Yeah he brings something we have a huge need for but he balances it out with some of the worst offense you can get from an NBA player. He might take KZ's minutes or get put in for a defensive stop at the end of a game but I don't see him positively contributing for 15min a night.

Sixers aren't looking to get rid of him because he's awesome.
You could be right but he is getting 12 minutes a game for a 32-17 team. Hard to imagine he would get less for a team desperate for defense.

The rumor is that Philly is trying to unload Thybulle or Korkmaz to get under the Luxury Tax. They need to get $1.1 million less coming back in trade, to get under the luxury tax. I think Len would make too much to get Philly under the luxury tax, maybe they take Delly instead? Or maybe we take Korkmaz back instead or Thybulle?
Looks like Kork+Thybulle for T.Davis+Len is around $1.3 mil saved for Philly. And we'd be taking the Korkmaz salary off their books for next year.

Kork is another guy who I think is a reasonably good rotation player, but he's fallen out of favor in Philly. I think he's kind of gunner the same vein as T.Davis, but bigger and has been apart of a good playoff rotation for a few years. Shake Milton has basically taken his role on the team. I think grabbing 2 wings who have been apart of a playoff rotation the last few years and buying low on them would be a great use of our expirings and a couple 2nd round picks. The prize would hopefully be unlocking anything on offense for Thybulle, but Kork could fill a good role here too as a back-up wing who has had success as a spacer (last year not withstanding).

Looks like Kork+Thybulle for T.Davis+Len is around $1.3 mil saved for Philly. And we'd be taking the Korkmaz salary off their books for next year.

Kork is another guy who I think is a reasonably good rotation player, but he's fallen out of favor in Philly. I think he's kind of gunner the same vein as T.Davis, but bigger and has been apart of a good playoff rotation for a few years. Shake Milton has basically taken his role on the team. I think grabbing 2 wings who have been apart of a playoff rotation the last few years and buying low on them would be a great use of our expirings and a couple 2nd round picks. The prize would hopefully be unlocking anything on offense for Thybulle, but Kork could fill a good role here too as a back-up wing who has had success as a spacer (last year not withstanding).
There's almost no way Davis is back next year and Len might get in a game where we are up 20 with under 5 to play, so I would do this in a heartbeat. Even if we have to give up the lesser of some of those second round picks when we have multiples per year.

Rui netted 3 second round picks. I’m sure Philly would ask for at least that. Hard to say
I don't think Rui was quite the same buy-low as Thybulle currently is in though. Philly has basically given up hope that Thybulle ever does anything on offense and significantly cut his minutes from the rotation. They've all be telegraphed they aren't going to tender a contract.

That 2v2 swap +us sending them 2 2nd round picks seems pretty fair for both sides if they're looking to cut that cap and get off Kork's money for next year.

I don't think Rui was quite the same buy-low as Thybulle currently is in though. Philly has basically given up hope that Thybulle ever does anything on offense and significantly cut his minutes from the rotation. They've all be telegraphed they aren't going to tender a contract.

That 2v2 swap +us sending them 2 2nd round picks seems pretty fair for both sides if they're looking to cut that cap and get off Kork's money for next year.
could be. Washington made it clear they weren’t bringing back Rui too. I’d be thrilled if we can get Thybulle for second rounders. Certainly worth a shot and we have plenty to spare.

Fox Mitchell
KVon Monk
Barnes Thybulle
Keegan Lyles
Sabonis Plumlee

that team has at least a shot to make some noise in the playoffs

could be. Washington made it clear they weren’t bringing back Rui too. I’d be thrilled if we can get Thybulle for second rounders. Certainly worth a shot and we have plenty to spare.

Fox Mitchell
KVon Monk
Barnes Thybulle
Keegan Lyles
Sabonis Plumlee

that team has at least a shot to make some noise in the playoffs
Unfortunately, Plumlee has randomly been insanely good the last few months and might have played himself into a future FRP compensation for a contender desperate for C help. They certainly aren't going to be desperate enough to take on Holmes salary+2nd's anymore.

Unfortunately, Plumlee has randomly been insanely good the last few months and might have played himself into a future FRP compensation for a contender desperate for C help. They certainly aren't going to be desperate enough to take on Holmes salary+2nd's anymore.
It’s possible but he is a free agent and a bit older. The teams that want centers are Toronto LAC, Brooklyn and Sac. I don’t think any of those teams give up a first for him. If I was Charlotte I’d take some seconds for him as long as they come with an ender. They really need to bottom out this year and then they can try to compete next year with a top 5 pick, Ball, and probably Bridges back. I think there is zero chance Mason re-signs there. Will be interesting to see what happens

Not that I want this to happen but I wonder if the Blazers would trade Simons, Nurkic and a first round pick for OG.

Dame, Hart, OG, Grant and Eubanks. Replace Hart with Sharpe next year and get a better center. That would be a good team

Not that I want this to happen but I wonder if the Blazers would trade Simons, Nurkic and a first round pick for OG.

Dame, Hart, OG, Grant and Eubanks. Replace Hart with Sharpe next year and get a better center. That would be a good team
That actually seems like a fair trade but it sounds like the Raptors aren't looking for fair trades lol. Not sure if it puts the Blazers up in the standings much but it would probably help and be horrible for the Kings. They join the list of big athletic wing teams that give the Kings fits. The Raps seem to be seriously overrating OG.