Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've seen us rashad mcants in some of the mock drafts. how is he?
Undersized.

He's Mobley sized at about 6'3", though he has long arms and very good athleticism. At UNC he was a great scorer even during his freshman year. He's also got a high basketball IQ. Other than his height, there aren't a lot of questions about his talent.

His behavior/attitude raises more red flags though. He likened playing at North Carolina to being in prison, and said he was just "serving his time". He's also pulled out of a number of workouts lately, citing injury or more often illness. Seems weird to me.

I'm not a big proponent of the Kings drafting him. I think Mobley provides the same things and the Kings could very easily just re-sign Cat instead. I'm hoping a big with some upside/toughness/defense falls.

Entity

Hall of Famer
RealGm.com now has us taking Chris Taft. they say that he is athletis and all that but says the same as others. He has a strong will. OH YEAH this was laugher. they said the kings could wait for taft to develope with the talent at pf we got for Webber. they had to be giggling after they typed that.

^yeah in a spread in the July 4th edition of ESPN the Magazine they have the same thing saying that Chris Taft is our safe bet at the number 23rd pick while Charlie V is our long shot...saying:

With CWebb gone, there's room here for a baggage-toting power forward. Taft's size and agility make him the safer of the two picks, but Villanueva's skill set fits this system

ofcourse this is all acording to Chad Ford

I do agree with the Charlie V point...and all I know is I want him in Sactown BAD...I barely know any of the boys in this years draft the only one that I know with a high level of certainty is Charlie cuz he went to UCONN and I know the guys that come of UCONN pretty well...I really think he'd fit..:shrugs:

Charlie is the Minnesota's safe bet at the #14...they are saying

*sorry if any of this stuff has been said before....I didn't read through the whole thread and I haven't been here in a year and a day so...I'm a bit of out the loop....

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
With the recent mention of Javtokas and Kambala, I wonder if they are legitimate competitors to Taft and Villaneuva? There seems to be some similarities and the euro's tend to have the better basic skill set.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CruzDude said:
With the recent mention of Javtokas and Kambala, I wonder if they are legitimate competitors to Taft and Villaneuva? There seems to be some similarities and the euro's tend to have the better basic skill set.
So far as I know, those guys are NOT in the draft. FAs, or in the case of Javtokas, his rights apparently already belong to the Spurs.

I also doubt either can actually match Villanueva's skillset, although it might not take much to match his desire.

I tried getting excited about the draft but I'm really having trouble doing so. Guess I'm a George Allen kind of guy. I find it hard to give big money to guys who haven't shown they can play in the Pros. I guess I'd rather have one in hand than two in the bush. Seems to me that teams that have blown themselves up for revamping are the best candidates to build using the draft. In our position, with an apparant nucleus they want to rebuild around we need vets via trade or FA to match ages/game maturity with the guys we have instead of drafting some phenom(s) that will take a couple of years to mature and contribute. The only real advantage the draft could be to us would be if we could find someone who could contribute immediately and only be paying them rookie money.

From insider today

We don't have a clue where McCants, Andray Blatche and Chris Taft are going. All are likely first-round selections, but no one seems to know where. McCants has been rumored to be going as high as No. 10 and as low as No. 23. Blatche has gotten interest from the Bobcats, Celtics and Knicks. Taft apparently has garnered interest from the Kings at No. 23.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Kings are interested in all of the top PF prospects I would think. Taft has the size and athleticism, but if he doesn't play with intensity in college, what happens when he gets to the NBA? There's a lot of 'possible bust' warning lights there. Charlie V is big and skilled, but he's not tough defensively which is where we need the most improvement. He'll probably be a pretty good Lamar Odom type player but he's not going to be a defensive stopper which limits his usefullness to us as a starter. The other guys are somewhat undersized with some better offensively and some better defensively. I'd say Wayne Simien is the closest to a sure thing, but then he has the injury problems and he doesn't have the huge wingspan like Diogu or the soft touch that Sean May has. With all of those guys there are pluses and minuses so the best thing is to take the one you think has the best chance of becoming a great player in the NBA. And that's very subjective. Oh yeah, and at least 3 of those guys will be gone by 23, so we may not have much of a choice anyway.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Rowdyone said:
If Ike Diogu is around I think he might be the best possibility...another Reggie Evans?
Much more offensively oriented.

Probably somewhere along the Brand/Malik Rose continuum of undersized post players. If its the former, you've done great. The latter, just another undersized bencher bouncing around the league.

Well I have pretty much thought this over and there are few things that can happen on draft day tommorrow.

1. We draft the best player available at #23 (most likely a SG or a PG, McCants or Jarrett Jack I would hope! although McCants will probably be gone). Most likely whoever we get won't see much PT next season unless it is a PF/C with size.

2. The Kings trade up in the draft to get a big man. (Villanueva, May, Vasquez, Simien, etc.)

3. We trade the pick for a future pick(s) or we trade the pick and a player for another player.

Among other things one of these scenarios may occur.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Well I have pretty much thought this over and there are few things that can happen on draft day tommorrow.

1. We draft the best player available at #23 (most likely a SG or a PG, McCants or Jarrett Jack I would hope! although McCants will probably be gone). Most likely whoever we get won't see much PT next season unless it is a PF/C with size.

2. The Kings trade up in the draft to get a big man. (Villanueva, May, Vasquez, Simien, etc.)

3. We trade the pick for a future pick(s) or we trade the pick and a player for another player.

Among other things one of these scenarios may occur.
While we may like some of those guys over others, there WILL be at least 1 of the various PF prospects this year waiting for us at #23, so unless there's one guy we are really sold on don't know why we'd have to trade up to get one.

Bricklayer said:
While we may like some of those guys over others, there WILL be at least 1 of the various PF prospects this year waiting for us at #23, so unless there's one guy we are really sold on don't know why we'd have to trade up to get one.

I just feel the best player available at #23 won't be a big. Of course I would love for Petrie to snag Charlie V, Simien, Diogu, etc.. As things stand right now with the Kings roster, I don't think any of those players could take time away from Thomas and Skinner unless they show something special.

We'll see I guess

We are going to get a decent player, this draft is deep, and I'm all for Simien if he falls to us, if it wasn't for his injury problem he would be a lottery pick, and with the right profesional care they can help fix his injury problem..

Entity

Hall of Famer
With Simien you get what you see. With Ike you get like Brick said another undersized big man. Now with Taft you get what you see as well as alot more potential to grow.

I have heard of Simien's healthy problems but, I haven't heard exactly what they are. knees, back, shoulder...... what is the problem? I mean if its just sprained ankles or tennis elbow who cares. But if its bad knees or a back I would think twice.

The good thing is that if we DO draft a PF with size or a SF like Graham, then expect either Corliss or Skinner to be traded for a SG. I love Graham's athletism. Hes the most athletic in the draft. Petrie leans towards what can't be taught, height and athletism. So if he can't get height, guess what he will lean towards. :)

PFFFT!! said:
The good thing is that if we DO draft a PF with size or a SF like Graham, then expect either Corliss or Skinner to be traded for a SG. I love Graham's athletism. Hes the most athletic in the draft. Petrie leans towards what can't be taught, height and athletism. So if he can't get height, guess what he will lean towards. :)
Drafting a PF does not mean by any stretch that the Kings will not actively go after another PF. I don't think that a PF picked at #23 can come in and start. Yes, the Kings need to address the SG position, but who's to say that they won't go out and either sign or trade for both.

Diabeticwonder said:
Drafting a PF does not mean by any stretch that the Kings will not actively go after another PF. I don't think that a PF picked at #23 can come in and start. Yes, the Kings need to address the SG position, but who's to say that they won't go out and either sign or trade for both.
I agree, but I purposefully left out Thomas. However, Im pointing more towards the SF spot with Corliss there. If we get a Graham type player to back up Peja, we can deal Corliss for a PF or SG.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
In this year's draft, I think we could get a PF who could start right away at #23. Obviously they would have to compete in camp with the other PFs on the team, but if we don't bring in a PF from somewhere else this year and Songaila leaves too, I could see an experienced college guy like Sean May or Ike Diogu or Wayne Simien starting over Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner. If Songaila stays, he's probably the starter.

funkykingston said:
I've read that too. But it doesn't make much sense to me. The Bobcats have only FIVE players under contract (I'm assuming they have/will pick up the option on Gerald Wallace) so they need help at almost every position EXCEPT for power forward. Okafor is their cornerstone, so where would that put Villaneuva?

In fact, the team seemed pretty happy with Primo Brezec's development and Melvin Ely filled in fairly well when he was forced to start this season.

The Bobcats really need two starters out of this draft, preferably one of them with a chance to be a star. A PG and a wing make a lot more sense to me.
...unless they are trading him right after a pick to another team drafting later in the draft for their pick and someone else. Hopefully its us. ;)

AleksandarN said:
From insider today

We don't have a clue where McCants, Andray Blatche and Chris Taft are going. All are likely first-round selections, but no one seems to know where. McCants has been rumored to be going as high as No. 10 and as low as No. 23. Blatche has gotten interest from the Bobcats, Celtics and Knicks. Taft apparently has garnered interest from the Kings at No. 23.
This could be a smokescreen from Petrie to waste someones pick ahead of us on him in order to get someone else. Don't mess with the fox here. :)

This on the Sportingnews.com mock draft:

23. Sacramento -- Ersan Ilyasova, SF, Ulker Istanbul. Ilyasova is 18 and years away from being a productive NBA player. Still, he is a talented, long-armed defender who can shoot. Like Korolev, he has proven nothing, riding the bench for a high-quality team in Turkey. But the Kings are patient and figure to improve in the short term through summer trades, meaning they can wait on their draft pick. Ilyasova could prove worth waiting for. If the Kings shift their thinking and go for immediate backcourt help, they will go for a shooting guard -- Garcia or McCants if available or Matt Walsh, Julius Hodge or C.J. Miles if Garcia and McCants are gone.

Ersan Ilyasova Draft CapsuleJune 28, 2005

VITALS: 6-9, 235, Ulker Istanbul (Turkey)

OVERVIEW: Ilyasova, one of the top young shooters in Turkey, made 47 percent (17-of-36) of his shots in 11 games in the Turkish League. This past season, Ilyasova averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds in 12.5 minutes for Ulker, posting season highs of 16 points in 27 minutes vs. Raks ITU. Ilyasova excelled in the European Championship for Junior Men (Under-18) in 2004, averaging 17.4 points and nine rebounds in 25.8 minutes over five games.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Bottom half of first round. Ilyasova makes sense for any team that does not need him to produce right away. Indiana at 17 is one possible place for him. Denver at 20 or 22 is another.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Andrei Kirilenko

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Scott Padgett

ROLE PROJECTION: Long-term project; scoring small forward. POSITIVES: Ilyasova can flat-out shoot from the perimeter. He has the kind of stroke that defenders honor and helps the whole team, since opponents won't dare double-team off him. As a defender, he uses his athletic ability to his advantage to block shots and sky for rebounds. His rebounding comes when he outquicks opponents to the ball, not from overpowering anybody. SHORTCOMINGS: At 210 pounds, Ilyasova is very light and his frame doesn't indicate he will gain lots of weight in the future. He also has had some injuries in Europe, raising the question of how durable he might be in the future. His current recovery from a serious ankle injury is one of the questions about him.

Discuss. Good idea? Bad?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.