NBA Draft: What Will The Kings Do?

Who Will The Kings End Up With From The Lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With the draft less than a week away, there's been a lot of talk about what we SHOULD do, but maybe not so many bold predictions about what we WILL do. So let's fix that, poll-style!

The question, then, is simple: What will the Kings do with their lottery pick in the 2022 NBA draft? Note that if the Kings trade up or down, we're still concerned here about who the Kings will end up with, after any trades, regardless of where in the lottery the player that ends up on the Kings is ultimately taken

And, of course, feel free to discuss!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, so my gut says that the Kings are going to trade down - but probably just a bit. Even though Detroit knows that Ivey is a strange fit for us, they can't sit back and hope we draft somebody else at #4, because Indiana and Washington and the Knicks are knocking on that door, too. The Pistons will give up Saddiq Bey (we send back Harkless) and probably some pick swap options on their first rounder that is tied up until 2027 to move up one slot for Ivey, then we draft Daniels at #5.

Dyson Daniels and Saddiq Bay would be fine with me. It would go a long way to making the Kings a high IQ team.
I would love that, but I don't think Detroit will give up Bey to move up one spot. Grant? I think they would, but the Kings would need an extension for it to happen. I don't know if #4 + #37 for #5 + Bey gets it done. And I'm not entirely sure I want to give up #37. That's a valuable pick though given Monte's second round history, maybe it's best that he punts it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Trade the pick, get a very good young talent in return, and get a lower lottery pick from which they draft Agbaji. I'm asking for the stars and moon.

The hype building around Jaden Ivey has me thinking they’ll just do what so many other teams want to do. The Monte special, BPA.

Outside chance of an Ivey jump and one of the Big 3.
I’m fine with him moving up to okc at two if that means we get Chet. If that happens though I have a feeling Houston will take Chet though… That’s my nightmare fuel.

I think what OKC wants to do is trade up to 4 to grab Ivey and stay at 2 for Chet. The only way I would be willing to do that is if they give up SGA.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
OK, so my gut says that the Kings are going to trade down - but probably just a bit. Even though Detroit knows that Ivey is a strange fit for us, they can't sit back and hope we draft somebody else at #4, because Indiana and Washington and the Knicks are knocking on that door, too. The Pistons will give up Saddiq Bey (we send back Harkless) and probably some pick swap options on their first rounder that is tied up until 2027 to move up one slot for Ivey, then we draft Daniels at #5.
Of all the scenarios plausible if we can force Detroit to blink first and give up Bey and 5 for 4, I like it the most.

I also think with the limited info we have on what Monte likes Bey is his target.
I go by: failed DDV trade, ultimately lands DDV.
Rumored heavy interest in Sabonis for months, trades "untouchable" player to get him.
One of the few Bagley landing places with any teeth was Detroit. Rumor was we wanted Bey. No deal. But Bagley still ultimately winds up there.

Now that we might have something Detroit wants bad + other teams also trying to put offers on the table I can see forcing their hand even though a lot of Detroit fans now have Bey where we had Hali 4 months ago.

I still like Murray with pick 5 in this case. We may also have genuine interest in Daniels, or that may be smoke to get Detroit and Indy to up their game thinking 7-10 are realistic trade scenarios for us. I also still really like Mathurin. I think any team that isn't Detroit is going to have to include future FRP to seal the deal but I can see the Bey and 5 for 4 and filler (Mo?) straight up with no additional picks changing hands if we can get Detroit to blink.

I think no matter what happens, Ivey is wearing a Kings hat for a few minutes on draft night unless something crazy goes down in the top 3.

I'm starting to warm up to the Brogdon trade idea if it's still on the table. Brogdon+6 and a future pick for 4. We set our guard rotation, plus get to choose between my favorite targets in Mathurin/Eason, and get a future pick.

Fox-Brogdon-(Mathurin/Eason)-Barnes-Sabonis

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I voted Dyson, but barring Ivey going top 3 or a trade up from #4 to #2 to get Holmgren, I think the Kings will actually draft Ivey and trade him.

It could be to Detroit (ideally for Bey) or to Indiana (for who knows what) but I wouldn't want to drop too far. At 5 or 6 I think the Kings look at Dyson or Murray.

Of all the scenarios plausible if we can force Detroit to blink first and give up Bey and 5 for 4, I like it the most.

I also think with the limited info we have on what Monte likes Bey is his target.
Rumored heavy interest in Sabonis for months, trades "untouchable" player to get him.
One of the few Bagley landing places with any teeth was Detroit. Rumor was we wanted Bey. No deal. But Bagley still ultimately winds up there.

Now that we might have something Detroit wants bad + other teams also trying to put offers on the table I can see forcing their hand even though a lot of Detroit fans now have Bey where we had Hali 4 months ago.

I still like Murray with pick 5 in this case. We may also have genuine interest in Daniels, or that may be smoke to get Detroit and Indy to up their game thinking 7-10 are realistic trade scenarios for us. I also still really like Mathurin. I think any team that isn't Detroit is going to have to include future FRP to seal the deal but I can see the Bey and 5 for 4 and filler (Mo?) straight up with no additional picks changing hands if we can get Detroit to blink.

I think no matter what happens, Ivey is wearing a Kings hat for a few minutes on draft night unless something crazy goes down in the top 3.
I would still try to squeeze Bey and an additional FRP if we trade with Detroit. In a "4 Player Draft", I would ask for the "Farm" to move out of the top 4!

Glad to see the Daniels love here.
Again, Bey and Daniels seems like a score. They fit well with this team, and puts to rest a lot of Ivey and his fit or willingness to play here concerns.
So Daniels is my pick at 5, however i’d sure be good with a trade up for Smith.

Why do people want Bey? his shooting percentages suck.
If they're trading Ivey I hope its for a superstar or something way more then Bey and Keegan Murray..
if they end up with a pick lower then 4 I hope they take Mathurin. Murrays soft. This team needs more thugs.
When it comes to Bey, yeah, you kind of have to be careful. He's already somewhat flatlined in terms of his gains and he's already 23. The thing is he plays such a valuable position and shows potential defensively although he hasn't looked that great there either TBH. I don't think he's going to be near any all defense teams but he plays the right way for a wing in todays game by staying out at the 3 point line and in year 1 with a few less shots he looked good. In Sac he could find more balance and his efficiency could climb next to a Fox/Sabonis so to me, that's the reward potential. Also, the deals would be the Kings moving down 1 spot. That's great value and I can see why Detroit wouldn't do it just because of the value in a trade down the minimal numerically even if clearly Ivey is the standout at 4.

Why do people want Bey? his shooting percentages suck.
If they're trading Ivey I hope its for a superstar or something way more then Bey and Keegan Murray..
if they end up with a pick lower then 4 I hope they take Mathurin. Murrays soft. This team needs more thugs.
I like Villanova players, well coached, I know that’s not enough reason. He’s also a SF just two years into his NBA career so recon he’s not a finished player.
The main thing for me though is getting Daniels and good assets back assuming we trade down.

Last edited:
When it comes to Bey, yeah, you kind of have to be careful. He's already somewhat flatlined in terms of his gains and he's already 23. The thing is he plays such a valuable position and shows potential defensively although he hasn't looked that great there either TBH. I don't think he's going to be near any all defense teams but he plays the right way for a wing in todays game by staying out at the 3 point line and in year 1 with a few less shots he looked good. In Sac he could find more balance and his efficiency could climb next to a Fox/Sabonis so to me, that's the reward potential. Also, the deals would be the Kings moving down 1 spot. That's great value and I can see why Detroit wouldn't do it just because of the value in a trade down the minimal numerically even if clearly Ivey is the standout at 4.
Watched a lot of Detroit basketball at the end of last season. This is the truth. He's streaky like Terrence Davis, but without the tenaciousness of Davis. Bey's value is in his size and proposed skillset.

What he would bring to the Kings is a position of need, but with average production overall. The issue the Kings have is bringing in nothing but mediocre talent thinking that will get them over the top.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take Bey on this team. But if the Kings are dangling that 4th pick, I'd hope for more. Otherwise take the potential stud in Ivey.

A type of player I’m looking to obtain for the 4th pick is in the shai gilgeous-alexander category. These youngish players like Bey just won’t cut it.

You could easily just use the cap space to sign Otto Porter and he’s going to do exactly what you hope Bey is going to do here.

Watched a lot of Detroit basketball at the end of last season. This is the truth. He's streaky like Terrence Davis, but without the tenaciousness of Davis. Bey's value is in his size and proposed skillset.

What he would bring to the Kings is a position of need, but with average production overall. The issue the Kings have is bringing in nothing but mediocre talent thinking that will get them over the top.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take Bey on this team. But if the Kings are dangling that 4th pick, I'd hope for more. Otherwise take the potential stud in Ivey.
Appreciate the take. I’ve been going more off of Bey’s college days potential, where he was considered a good scorer and okay defensively for a not so great athlete.

Maybe Grant should be in play if Monte decides to trade back a spot. I’ve always been intrigued by Fox with Ivey despite some voicing fit concerns but i’m thinking there should be little concern about Daniels and he can be had at 5 or 6.

This Daniels stuff is crazy to me. I'd love to see what it is that people are high on. I can't find it. Potential I've been told.
IMO, he's a Justin Jackson 2.0 if lucky.
I'm seriously not trying to stir crap. Please someone post some tape that shows what it is. I'd truly like to learn. :confused:

A lot of folk high on Daniels. What's the projection on him, in your words?
I envision a Chauncey Billups impact but 4-5 extra inches. I probably suck at player comparison, but he’s got the defensive chops, can facilitate, and his shooting should only improve. Should be able to play 1-3.
Go ahead and tear me down.
add on. I was low on Justin Jackson, Daniels not at all. He’s got great basketball upbringing, his dad also being a star here in Australia.

Last edited:
A lot of smoke screen fluff out there. Our last couple of 1st round picks have been spot on so I have some faith in the selection that will be made.

Any one of the top 4 picks are what I want to see added to our roster and it will be a very good win for us.

I'm starting to warm up to the Brogdon trade idea if it's still on the table. Brogdon+6 and a future pick for 4. We set our guard rotation, plus get to choose between my favorite targets in Mathurin/Eason, and get a future pick.

Fox-Brogdon-(Mathurin/Eason)-Barnes-Sabonis
Why would you want Brogdon to play with Fox when you don't even want Doncic to begin with lol.

This Daniels stuff is crazy to me. I'd love to see what it is that people are high on. I can't find it. Potential I've been told.
IMO, he's a Justin Jackson 2.0 if lucky.
I'm seriously not trying to stir crap. Please someone post some tape that shows what it is. I'd truly like to learn. :confused:
Here are some links I have enjoyed. Disclaimer, I am Australian, so reasonably biased. And don't think he is a star. If you want a star Ivey seems to be the guy.

& Podcast

The podcast gives more time to his limitations. Smart player with movement and positioning in defence but they wonder what his final role would be.

I think we’ll come away with Bey + Murray and I think it’s the best move. Although the Monte McNair failed trade reclamation tour might have one more stop in Washington. Would not be surprised at Kuzma + Deni +10. Both deals would make me very happy. I don’t agree with the Ivey love but I understand it. The timeline we are on with this owner and front office does not suggest a gamble on a superstar talent that would take a few years to begin to really blossom. This roster needs an infusion of talent and quality depth at multiple positions and a trade of the 4 pick can provide that while also keeping us pretty young simultaneously. Whether or not that is the right way to go is debatable but with competition for the 4 pick heating up it’s highly likely that a deal will emerge and next to zero chance Ivey is on the Kings next year.