Playoff Update (Merged)

Ok we've reached the All Star Break so I thought I'd post our current status.

Right now my projections show that the the 5-8 seeds in the West would be as follows

#5 would be Clippers with 48-34
#6 would be Grizzlies with 46-36
#7 would be Hornets with 45-37
#8 would be Lakers with 41-41

Assuming the Kings needed to beat rather than just match the records they would need 42 wins to make playoffs.

Now just for reference, in past seasons the #8 seed has averaged at about 44 wins, so in theory my number is a little optimistic, although it seems most of the West is playing a little weaker this season.

So the Kings would need the following

For #8 seed 18-11 or .621

For #7 seed 22-7 or .759

For #6 seed 23-6 or .793

For #5 seed 25-4 or .862

Right now we have 13 home games and 16 road games to play.

Looking back, the Kings usually don't do much better than 50/50 on the road. So either an 8-8 or 9-7 record seems a reasonable guess.

This would mean they'd need to win 10-3 or 11-2 at home just to get the 8 seed. Possible of course, as is a better road record.

But the big boned woman is looking for her sheet music.

Of the 16 road games, 11 of the teams are currently in play off postion. April is particularly difficult for road games, although there are only 4, they are vs Dallas, San Antonio, Clippers and Denver.

For the 13 home games, 7 teams are in playoff postion. Memphis, Dallas, Lakers, Washington, Clippers, Phoenix and New Orleans.

29 games 18 seeded teams.

I recognize that some of the seeds are tenuous, but thought it would give a more detailed picture.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Its still possible. We have neither particularly strengthened nor weakened our position in the last few weeks. We have just managed to keep it within the realm of possibility. Still going to require a masive improvement on the road, no slipups at home, and no major injuries. Still possible. Still a lot of work. And of course that's for #8. #7 or above isn't very realistic at this point -- we'd have to run the table at home AND be +.500 on the road.

With all love and respect for the Kings I also question the value of the #8 or #7 seed.

As much as we love the guys, do we really expect them to win road series against Spurs and Suns and Mavs and Pistons or Heat ?

Obviously the exact teams could vary somewhat but that is bascially the road they'd face.

Maybe better to work on good draft slot for 06/07

To be honest the only thing that interests me is the number of games we have against the Spurs and Mavs. 5 right? Well if we strengthen our PF position, we can IMO beat everyone else. Say we get 1 win against the spurs and 1 vs the mavs(we'd end the season 1-3 against both) that's 2-3. EVERY other game is winnable, we won't win all the other games, but we have a shot each.

A

AriesMar27

if dallas gets 1st seed i would love for the kings to get 8th seed.... if not hopefully the kings get 7th and face the suns, who they could beat with a healthy squad.....

whats the the staus on bonzi?

I agree Aries, I'm not really scared of Dallas as I would be the Spurs.

Bonzi will be back next week.

Also saw him in his warm-ups before the at-Bulls game, so must've been preparing.

A

AriesMar27

if the spurs are 1st seed and the kings cant get 7th... i hope that they dont make the playoffs...... its not worth it, they could beat the mavs or suns then beat either the clippers or nuggets and finally lose to the spurs in the wcf.....

its nice to dream, go kings.....

I think we could beat the mavs or the suns, but not in a seven game series, Kings might win 1 or 2 if they all gel just right. Making the playoffs is a nice goal though, because it shows the improvement the team has made and the momentum we're building for next season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we make the playoffs, it will be good for the guys who've never made it. Let them get a taste when there aren't really many expectations for them to even get out of the first round...

Then, next year, we kick posterior!!!

:D

My optimism is approaching EMPTY on the EXCITEMENT GAUGE

With the acquistion of Ron, Bonzi coming back, Shareef getting UNWIRED, the KIDZ coming out of their cocoon .... my optimism was REJUVENATED.

... but, SOMETHING (... or several things) ARE STILL MISSING

" B L A N K " (fill in the blank) .... is what the King's lack

... that's right - numerous things can be inserted in the above line.

I share VF's feeling - "IF" the King's make the playoffs ....in fact, I'm leaning more towards - NEXT YEAR WE KICK -much- POSTERIOR !!!

:cool:

piksi

Hall of Famer
troosvelt said:
Looking back, the Kings usually don't do much better than 50/50 on the road. So either an 8-8 or 9-7 record seems a reasonable guess.
4 - 12 would be a reasonable guess based on this season

Entity

Hall of Famer
to make it to the playoffs would show something we have been missing since the Webber trade. that is heart it is going to take an effort and never die attitude to do it. With Ron and the youngsters and Bonzi showing it early on i like our chances. Now to the point. from Golden state to the end of March we have 20 games. Now throw out the road and home stuff and look at the teams and the matchups. I feel we definatley have a chance to 15-5 with potential to be better than that. we have a 5 game road trip to start march with Cleveland, Atlanta, Washington, New Jersey, and ending with Millwalkee. That is our longest road trip from here on out and i feel that we have an excellent chance to go 3-2 on that trip. NJ is the only back to back. Now I also feel we could do better than that. This is going to be the month to get back in it. We only play 1 superior team in my opinion that is Dallas and we have them at home. Here are the games and the 5 we may lose the rest we have a good chance to win to go 15-5 til the end of March

Feb 21 vs Golden State
Feb 23 at LA Lakers (possible loss)
Feb 27 vs Portland
Mar 1 at Cleveland (possible loss)
Mar 3 at Atlanta
Mar 5 at Washington
Mar 6 at New Jersey (possible loss)
Mar 8 at Milwaukee
Mar 10 vs Memphis
Mar 12 vs Dallas (possible loss)
Mar 14 vs LA Lakers
Mar 17 at Indiana
Mar 19 at Minnesota
Mar 21 vs Seattle
Mar 22 at LA Lakers
Mar 25 at Utah
Mar 26 vs Golden State
Mar 28 vs Washington
Mar 29 at Portland
Mar 31 at Golden State

ok mabe 16-4 :) anyway we also got the guy that can stop those teams #1 guy or #2 with Josh Howard on Dallas. If we focus on the games and never give up we can not only get that #8 seed but maybe 6 or 7 this is a very easy month with no SA, no DET, no Mia, no Phx and Dal only once. Stay healthy Kings and Adleman play the matchups and hot hand not just the starter and we shall do ok.

Entity

Hall of Famer
it will be interesting to follow just those 20 games and see how we do. Now the month of April is a whole different story it is ruff but if we do this well in march April won't kill us as bad and if we get hot we can beat the elite teams as well. Now with KT and kids doing well we are all of a sudden deep.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Now hod do we get RA to play the hot hands or at least sit those who are doing aweful. In Phx with Bibby he sat the whole 4th that was good Garcia we making plays and doing well. But in the game against Utah when we went 0-20 Kevin Martin should have been in the game instead of Bonzi. Bonzi was doing poorly with 9 turnovers and it was only his second game back after you go 0-12 at least Kev should have been in the game.

letter to Rick

Dear Rick

please do not just play the starters because they are starters if Garcia, Martin or Ref come into the game and make an impact and give you energy do not take them out just because its time for the starter to come back ESPECIALLY if they are doing poorly. If Brad is getting killed on the inside and the offense is making plays without him please let Skinner anchor the defensive paint or at least give him a chance. We can do this with health and smart coaching and smart play.

LETS GET PUMPED UP KINGSFANS THIS IS THE TIME THIS IS THE CHANCE FOR THE RUN WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR ALL YEAR 4,5,6 GAME WIN STREAKS ARE BEHIND THE DOOR YOU JUST HAVE TO OPEN IT

On ESPN, Dee Brown just gave us props on the Artest deal and how it's effected us, and picked us as the team out right now, to crack the playoffs because of that, along with Arco. Weiner the host seemed to agree with him

VF21 said:
If we make the playoffs, it will be good for the guys who've never made it. Let them get a taste when there aren't really many expectations for them to even get out of the first round...

Then, next year, we kick posterior!!!

:D
The Las Vegas Kings win it all!!!!!!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^ I have two problems with that post.

1. You're showing absolutely NO support for keeping the Kings here. I think that's deplorable.

2. Your signature is WRONG. The Jason Williams era ended the day he left.

Entity said:
Feb 21 vs Golden State
Feb 23 at LA Lakers (possible loss)
Feb 27 vs Portland
Mar 1 at Cleveland (possible loss)
Mar 3 at Atlanta
Mar 5 at Washington
Mar 6 at New Jersey (possible loss)
Mar 8 at Milwaukee
Mar 10 vs Memphis
Mar 12 vs Dallas (possible loss)
Mar 14 vs LA Lakers
Mar 17 at Indiana
Mar 19 at Minnesota
Mar 21 vs Seattle
Mar 22 at LA Lakers
Mar 25 at Utah
Mar 26 vs Golden State
Mar 28 vs Washington
Mar 29 at Portland
Mar 31 at Golden State

ok mabe 16-4 :) anyway we also got the guy that can stop those teams #1 guy or #2 with Josh Howard on Dallas. If we focus on the games and never give up we can not only get that #8 seed but maybe 6 or 7 this is a very easy month with no SA, no DET, no Mia, no Phx and Dal only once. Stay healthy Kings and Adleman play the matchups and hot hand not just the starter and we shall do ok.
wow, like your optimism. Even we play like one & healthy, still ... 16-4 run is for Detroit or Spurs.

Jazz play at Hornets tonight, both teams played last night, both lost badly. But the Hornets have that wild home crowd advantage. Which has helped them comeback 6 times down double digits at the half or during the game, to win. As well as two last second wins by David West jumpers over Houston with 1.5/6 left and Washington with .5 left. Hornets are also young and athletic, and are deeper.

Jazz lose, indeed.

To possibly finally get people to stop talking about the Houston Rockets making any kind of a playoff rush, they play the Clippers tonight who lost a tough one to Dallas last night. Clippers have lost four in a row and are hungry for a win.

Rockets lose, indeed.

Last edited:
5. LAC 30/23
6. Mem 30/23
7. New Orl/Okc 29/25
8. LAL 27/26
9. Utah 26/28
10. Sac 25.29

Now we need New Orl to come back down to earth and I expect they will.

Rockets beat Warriors, J-Rich's 39 (14 in 4th) weren't enough. Lakers are down a whole bunch to the Clips going into the 4th. Along with Elton Brand going wild all over the place. Can they get deterimined and stay alive to win?! ;)

I personally don't see it going down.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Kings113, I was just wondering why you were talking to yourself in this thread about the Lakers/Clippers game. There is a thread going in the NBA forum. ;)