Paris Olympics 2024

The one that got me a million years ago was that women didn't have parallel bars.
One of the numerous reasons I prefer women’s artistic gymnastics to men’s is the difference in events.

I prefer beam to pommel horse, and prefer uneven bars to parallel bars and horizontal bar.

Rings are pretty cool, I will admit. But then rings, parallel bars, and horizontal bar seem so redundant. 6 events and 4 of them are arm and core skills?

I think if the men’s events were only vault, pommel horse, rings, and floor I’d be more interested.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Kauli Vaast (FRA) defeats Jack Robinson (AUS) 17.67-7.83, to win Men's Surfing. Gabriel Medina (BRA) gets Bronze.

Caroline Marks (USA) defeats Tatiana Weston-Webb (BRA) 10.50-10.33, to win Women's Surfing. Johanne Defay (FRA) gets Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Late update from the track, because it got busy over here. I had just enough time to see the 200m, and I was in the middle of typing up my post when the first wave of customers traipsed into the store: this is the first opportunity I've had to sit down since then:

Reigning Olympic Gold Medalist and defending World Champion Miltiadis Tentoglou (GRE) wins the Men's Long Jump, Wayne Pinnock (JAM) gets silver, Mattia Furlani (ITA) takes Bronze.

Cole Hocker (USA) wins the Men's 1500m, with a new Olympic Record (3:27.79)! Reigning World Champion Josh Kerr (GBR) settles for Silver, Yared Nuguse (USA) takes Bronze.

Camryn Rogers (CAN) wins the Women's Hammer Throw. Annette Echikunwoke (USA) gets Silver, Jie Zhao (CHN) takes Bronze. World Record holder and three-time Olympic Gold Medalist Anita Wlodarczyk (POL) finishes off the podium.

Gabrielle Thomas (USA) wins the Women's 200m. Julien Alfred (LCA) gets Silver, Brittany Brown (USA) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Another late track update, due to the relevant events being right in the middle of my workday:

Nina Kennedy (AUS) wins the Women's Pole Vault. Defending Olympic Gold Medalist and reigning World Champion Katie Moon (USA) settles for Silver, Alysha Newman (CAN) takes Bronze.

Roje Stona (JAM) wins the Men's Discuss, with an Olympic Record (70.00m)! World Record holder Mykolas Alekna (LTU) settles for Silver, Matthew Denny (AUS) takes Bronze.

Quincy Hall (USA) wins the Men's 400m. Matthew Hudson-Smith (GBR) gets Silver, Muzala Samukonga (ZAM) takes Bronze.

Olympic Gold Medalist and reigning World Champion Soufiane El Bakkali (MAR) repeats in the Men's 3000m Steeplechase. Kenneth Rooks (USA) gets Silver, Abraham Kibiwot (KEN) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
In other news:
  • Miles Partain and Andrew Benesh (USA) were eliminated in the quarterfinals of Men's Beach Volleyball, ensuring that the United States will not win a single medal in Olympic Beach Volleyball for the first time in the history of the event.
  • Sarah Hildebrandt (USA) wins gold in the Women's 50kg Freestyle wrestling, 3-0 over Yusneylis Guzman Lopez (CUB). Guzman Lopez had advanced to the Gold Medal match due to Vinesh Phogat (IND), the wrestler who beat her in the semifinals, being disqualified due to weight.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
USA continues to hold a slim lead over China in the Gold Medal count, and a substantial lead in overall medal count.

I am morbidly fascinated by this duel: China has proven me wrong at least three times already, as far as anticipating their medal decline. They have, at least, to my point of view, overperformed in multiple events, whereas the US has underperformed in events where we have historically been dominant, the aforementioned beach volleyball, just to name one.

Even so... United States remains Gold Medal favorites in multiple team events that China either has not fielded a team, or has already been eliminated, and I am still expecting those to put the "race" out of reach.

In other news:
  • Miles Partain and Andrew Benesh (USA) were eliminated in the quarterfinals of Men's Beach Volleyball, ensuring that the United States will not win a single medal in Olympic Beach Volleyball for the first time in the history of the event.
  • Sarah Hildebrandt (USA) wins gold in the Women's 50kg Freestyle wrestling, 3-0 over Yusneylis Guzman Lopez (CUB). Guzman Lopez had advanced to the Gold Medal match due to Vinesh Phogat (IND), the wrestler who beat her in the semifinals, being disqualified due to weight.
Re: The first bullet point, which I have placed in bold letters...That is wild.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States defeats Brazil in Women's Indoor Volleyball 3-2, to advance to the Gold Medal match. They will play the winner of Türkiye and Italy.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
World Record holder (total) Shifang Luo (CHN) wins the Women's 59kg, with an Olympic Record (241kg)! Tokyo Gold Medalist at 64kg Maude Charron (CAN) settles for Silver, World Record holder (Clean and Jerk only) and defending Olympic Gold Medalist at 59kg Hsing-Chun Kuo (TPE) settles for Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This is what I was alluding to last night, as far as China winning medals in events I did not expect: in addition to now being 3-for-3 in weightlifting, and being favored to win at least two more, China also won a Gold Medal in sailing today, and I didn't expect them to be competitive in that, at all.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
And now that that's out of the way, time to tap in for the second half of France/Germany. Due to other events being more relevant to my interests, this will be the first time I've actually seen the French Men's team play in this Olympics.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
For the first time since 1996, and only the fourth time in history, the host nation will win a medal in men's basketball at the Olympics. It's happened five times previously in women's basketball, and could happen for a sixth time this year.

United States is the only country to ever win Gold at the Olympics in basketball as the host nation (men's).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Women's Water Polo semifinal between USA and Australia has turned into a nail-biter!

Also, it seems that there's no equivalent to a "goal kick" in water polo? If it goes out-of-bounds off the goalie, the defense gets the ball back, anyway?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Australia defeats three-time defending Gold Medalists United States 14-13 to advance to the Finals. USA led 5-2 at halftime, led 8-6 midway through the fourth quarter.