Paris Olympics 2024

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
In the old days feel like there’d have been a gentleman’s agreement to stay close so South Sudan could advance as well.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Gold Zone is what I wished coverage on the networks was like when there was just 50 cable channels.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hell yes! Pre-streaming, we were down bad.
There was one or two cycles, early in the digital cable era, where they did a good job putting the team sport games all on one useless channel like MSNBC or CNBC, they had the entire boxing tournament on CNBC, and would also just show one or two venues exclusively on those channels when the team sports weren't airing, but it's been a long time since the network coverage was competition focused. Hey I do love some of these human interest stories that evolve, but the Turkish marksman that eschewed all the shooting tech isn't the type of athlete NBC would devote a weekend segment to either.

The streaming buffet is awesome but you sort of need to know what's on and when to watch. Gold Zone reminds you when you forget. I watched a lot of stuff today I didn't know was on.

That Turkey shooting dude is definitely responsible for all the best memes for the first week of the games though (I do understand tiktok has its own thing going with childhood sports fails that I am not hip to though).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The France vs Brazil woman's soccer matchup featured 17 minutes of stoppage time while the host nation was trailing. I remarked it couldn't have anything to do with who was hosting the games. My partner said "Oh, so now you admit sports are fixed!?!"

I had to go outside to calm down.

In the old days feel like there’d have been a gentleman’s agreement to stay close so South Sudan could advance as well.
Serbia and Greece are friendly nations (so called Orthodox brothers), there were some not so nice incidents in the past (a brawl during a friendly match involving chairs between players, Nenad Krstic former NBA player doing the most, and also the "Lietuva Lietuva" chants by Greek fans in a Eurobasket final in Athens but Yugoslavia winning it at the end) but since there are 2 players playing for Olympiakos (Milutinov and Petrusev), Serbian players often visit Greece for holidays and well they might get some benefits the next time they do.

Still I think it will be very hard to beat this Germany but ok "hope dies last" as we say....

USA vs Serbia and Canada vs Germany will most probably be the semifinal matches.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
over heard an announcer call an individual who shoots flying disks with a shotgun an "athlete" and I had to cringe a bit inside

that said, absolutely loved the Judo team competition, so good

Nemour and Qiu were otherworldly on bars, taking gold and silver respectively. First Olympic medal in gymnastics for Algeria, and China’s first medal in women’s artistic gymnastics of these games.

And old reliable Suni Lee gritted out yet another spot on the podium, overcoming her longtime rival Derwael from Belgium to take bronze by .033 points.

Gold - Nemour
Silver - Qiu
Bronze - Lee

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In the final Aquatics race of the games, United States wins the Women's 4x100m medley relay, with a World Record (3:49.53)! Australia gets Silver, China takes Bronze.

USA wins the "rivalry" over Australia 28-18 in overall swimming medals, and 8-7 in Gold Medals.

Bobby Finke (USA) wins the Men's 1500m freestyle, with a World Record (14:30.57)! Gregorio Paltrinieri (ITA) gets Silver, Daniel Wiffen (IRA) takes Bronze.
That was, hands down, one of the most incredible performances I have ever seen. Unbelievable just how he was able to get out in front so early and maintain the lead throughout the entire race.

IMG_5157.jpeg

Not the results we were looking for exactly, but this moment is super cool.

Andrade overcomes Biles and Chiles to take gold on floor. The Americans took silver and bronze, and then gave Andrade the international respect she deserves.

Andrade beat Biles by .033 to earn her first gold of the games.

Gold - Andrade
Silver - Biles
Bronze - Chiles

Beam meanwhile turned into a mess for the Americans as both Biles and Lee fell off the apparatus denying them both medals.

Instead it was the Italians who dominated, with Alice D’Amato taking gold and her teammate Manila Esposito snagging bronze. Zhou took silver to give China its second medal.

Gold - D’Amato
Silver - Zhou
Bronze - Esposito

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
World Record holder and defending Olympic Gold Medalist Armand Duplantis (SWE) wins a jump-off to repeat in the Men's Pole Vault. Sam Kendricks (USA) gets Silver, Emmanuouil Karalis (GRE) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Defending Olympic Gold Medalist Valarie Allman (USA) repeats in the Women's Discus. Bin Feng (CHN) gets Silver, Two-time Gold Medalist (2012, 2016) Sandra Elkasevic (CRO) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Something that I didn't realize until literally just now, but probably should have been obvious years ago: when athletes in other events are on the field during a medal ceremony, they stop what they're doing and stand for the winner's national anthem.