Paris Olympics 2024

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I honestly don't know why you would want a medal you know you didn't earn. Big loser mentality.

I am sure there is financial recompense but it's not even gold.

So in other words... it seems likely that the IOC has engineered an outcome here where the athlete who should have finished fifth is the one who gets a Bronze medal and no one gets to feel good about this. Fantastic work.
I can’t imagine Voinea’s goal was ever to legitimately get the bronze outright. Well, except as a longshot backup plan if Chiles’ score was allowed to stand so Romania still had a chance to grab hardware. MAYBE as a wild gambit on the off chance the IOC announced “Screw it; all three of you get medals. Everyone can shut up now.”

To me, Voinea, or perhaps more accurately her domineering former gymnast mother, excessively complaining online about how the judges wronged her was part of a coordinated effort to strip Chiles of her medal and give it to Barbuso.

Reason being, whether she was truly out of bounds or not, she didn’t challenge it in real time at the meet, probably (if her team even realized the OOB call was questionable. I’m getting mixed reports if there were sensors in the mats in Paris) because her teammate was inline to get bronze at the time.

But suddenly when the American is boosted into the spot, crushing the soul of that same teammate for the world to see, and a day or two passed, THEN that out of bounds call was a scandal! A scandal to add more fuel to the fire that the judges had wronged Romania, specifically in favor of the evil Americans, and the IOC needed to give Romania and their gloriously rich gymnastics history something to make up for it.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why you would want a medal you know you didn't earn. Big loser mentality.

I am sure there is financial recompense but it's not even gold.
Because Romania’s artistic women’s gymnastics history at the Olympics is the stuff of legends and rightfully a huge source of national pride. For decades the modest Eastern European nation went toe to toe with the Soviet gymnastics juggernaut and more than held their own.

It’s been more than a little embarrassing for them they haven’t medaled since London.

That said, quite frankly, the U.S.’ current gymnastics dynasty’s foundation was laid by perfect Nadia and the Romanians. I recognize that even if I’m mad at them right now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Because Romania’s artistic women’s gymnastics history at the Olympics is the stuff of legends and rightfully a huge source of national pride. For decades the modest Eastern European nation went toe to toe with the Soviet gymnastics juggernaut and more than held their own.

It’s been more than a little embarrassing for them they haven’t medaled since London.

That said, quite frankly, the U.S.’ current gymnastics dynasty’s foundation was laid by perfect Nadia and the Romanians. I recognize that even if I’m mad at them right now.
I understand Romania's history. And why it's an honor to be a part of it. I even understand why the Romanian federation is desperate to get back on the podium.

I don't understand why the individual would take any part in it. It's tarnished. Everyone knows it rightfully belongs to someone else.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I can’t imagine Voinea’s goal was ever to legitimately get the bronze outright. Well, except as a longshot backup plan if Chiles’ score was allowed to stand so Romania still had a chance to grab hardware. MAYBE as a wild gambit on the off chance the IOC announced “Screw it; all three of you get medals. Everyone can shut up now.”

To me, Voinea, or perhaps more accurately her domineering former gymnast mother, excessively complaining online about how the judges wronged her was part of a coordinated effort to strip Chiles of her medal and give it to Barbuso.

Reason being, whether she was truly out of bounds or not, she didn’t challenge it in real time at the meet, probably (if her team even realized the call was questionable, because her teammate was inline to get bronze at the time. But suddenly when the American is boosted into the spot, crushing the soul of that same teammate for the world to see, and a day or two passed, THEN that out of bounds call was a scandal! A scandal to add more fuel to the fire that the judges had wronged Romania, specifically in favor of the evil Americans, and the IOC needed to give Romania and their gloriously rich gymnastics history something to make up for it.
How this eventually plays out is neither here nor there for me at this point. Jordan Chiles already got a Gold medal in the team all-around which is the one that means the most, I would think. Based on the videos that have been posted she's clearly enjoyed her time in Paris with her teammates and her pose on the medal stand with Simone Biles and Rebeca Andrade will remain one of the all-time "good sportsmanship" moments of this or any Olympics. She's a flat-out winner regardless.

Where this IOC ruling really loses me is that they've already awarded make-right medals during this Olympics for events which occurred over a decade ago. And in the modern context where we know that every second of every event is recorded and will be accessible to be dissected and re-watched for all time (or at least as long as we have power to run our silicon chips) why wouldn't they take however much time is needed to review all the available footage and get the results right? The "oh, your appeal was 4 seconds too late and shouldn't have counted" technicality was already laughable to begin with but pivoting to an even more head-scratching position of "no one gets to re-appeal an appeal which has already been repealed" is just beyond all reason.

… And it just keeps going:

Link: Head of Panel that Stripped Chiles of Medal has Represented Romania for Decades

But to their credit, the Romanian Gymnastics Federation continues to claim they never wanted Chiles to lose her medal, and are pushing for the bronze to be shared.

Link: Romania Insists Bronze Be Shared

What a mess. Giving all three women bronze is the most popular solution and the only way to end this on a positive note.

In the interest of goodwill, hold a ceremony where all three come together to celebrate a bronze medal, and let’s move on with our lives.