[Game] Kings vs. Trail Blazers 10/19/2022 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Predict the final result of tonight's game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Huerter, but I wonder if starting Monk would be better. The biggest thing that hurts our second unit is the lack of playmakers.

Additionally, I like Holmes and his family, they seen like great people. But I wish we would give Queta some minutes. He is not perfect, but he is a defensive presence, is pretty quick for his size, and has a decent array of offensive moves: can pass, shoot, and post.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Gonna be honest, I don't think this is bad.
Yeah I agree, basically the Bogi situation again where best case was getting some value from a trade, but allowing him to walk was a better play than a re-sign.

It's still always a little annoying when the guy you could have traded walks in FA though. But honestly, the time to trade HB was probably 2 years ago.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am more than comfortable letting Barnes walk and giving Sasha a go if we don't have another FA target in mind.

Also comfortable with a Barnes and Holmes move for another 3&D who pairs with Keegan once we see how Keegan works. Maybe if we ship both of those guys we can get a 2024 first back which would essentially give us the ability to own our pick and send a lesser pick to ATL?

I love Huerter, but I wonder if starting Monk would be better. The biggest thing that hurts our second unit is the lack of playmakers.

Additionally, I like Holmes and his family, they seen like great people. But I wish we would give Queta some minutes. He is not perfect, but he is a defensive presence, is pretty quick for his size, and has a decent array of offensive moves: can pass, shoot, and post.
Holmes could partly be an answer for Brown. Someone needs to get him up to speed on that push shot game. That right there is where Holmes can earn some of that contract. He'll still be the most overpaid backup in the league at C but running that two man game with he and Monk/Davion is a legit possibility to get the points they need to get their starters rest. If Brown is looking for the closest thing to a Sabonis at backup, Len is his man. If he's looking for someone to stop size and provide a legit paint presensce on defense, Len is his man. Then yes, Queta next. Holmes has always been and will always be an efficient productivity guy. He needs to get you 8-9 ppg on 55-60%, and 4 boards in the 15 mpg he's going to get.

Holmes could partly be an answer for Brown. Someone needs to get him up to speed on that push shot game. That right there is where Holmes can earn some of that contract. He'll still be the most overpaid backup in the league at C but running that two man game with he and Monk/Davion is a legit possibility to get the points they need to get their starters rest. If Brown is looking for the closest thing to a Sabonis at backup, Len is his man. If he's looking for someone to stop size and provide a legit paint presensce on defense, Len is his man. Then yes, Queta next. Holmes has always been and will always be an efficient productivity guy. He needs to get you 8-9 ppg on 55-60%, and 4 boards in the 15 mpg he's going to get.
yeah, if Holmes can get the push shot goin, the one he seemed to never miss, that would help. The team is going to have ups and downs, just can’t get too down on the downs while they figure each other out.

I am more than comfortable letting Barnes walk and giving Sasha a go if we don't have another FA target in mind.

Also comfortable with a Barnes and Holmes move for another 3&D who pairs with Keegan once we see how Keegan works. Maybe if we ship both of those guys we can get a 2024 first back which would essentially give us the ability to own our pick and send a lesser pick to ATL?
This team has all of about 25-30 games to see where this goes before tinkerville resumes per usual. If this team isn't remotely in the area of where they're supposed to be, a marginal Barnes upgrade or trade or walk isn't going to cut it. Lets not kid ourselves, this is it. Then we possibly see yet again the pain of attempting to build around mostly developed players heading into their mid 20's that don't really fit the mold of the trendy build around types along with the traditional too bad to be good, too developed to be truly bad scenario.

That said. This has to work, it has too. This roster makes too much sense to be to the point of scraping by like seasons past. We can't for sure say what their ceiling is but being bad enough to force a rebuild would be burial ground BS yet again lol.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This team has all of about 25-30 games to see where this goes before tinkerville resumes per usual. If this team isn't remotely in the area of where they're supposed to be, a marginal Barnes upgrade or trade or walk isn't going to cut it. Lets not kid ourselves, this is it. Then we possibly see yet again the pain of attempting to build around mostly developed players heading into their mid 20's that don't really fit the mold of the trendy build around types along with the traditional too bad to be good, too developed to be truly bad scenario.

That said. This has to work, it has too. This roster makes too much sense to be to the point of scraping by like seasons past. We can't for sure say what their ceiling is but being bad enough to force a rebuild would be burial ground BS yet again lol.
It's always been questionable where Barnes was moving forward. The thought that he might not be in the long term plans is hardly something new here. It's just a matter of actually getting something back. And getting Keegan 100% changed the calculus since they have more than a little overlap.

It was one game. Biggest positive for me is that it was enjoyable to watch, the Kings were competitive, and played with purpose. The defence wasn't great all game, but you could see the application, they did generate turnovers, and helped them stay in the game when they couldn't buy a bucket. A few 50/50 calls/ bounces go their way and it's a win. Need to get into the habit of winning to ease some of the jitters.

Just looking at the boxscore and I’m confused about Sabonis only taking 10 shots or whatever it was. Need him to be more aggressive and shoot more J’s to open up his inside game. Also, just can’t wait to have Keegan back Tbh

Have you set a definition for what "working" would be for this current team, for this season?

Just looking at the boxscore and I’m confused about Sabonis only taking 10 shots or whatever it was. Need him to be more aggressive and shoot more J’s to open up his inside game. Also, just can’t wait to have Keegan back Tbh
He didn't look good to me. Not just because of a lack of production, but he seemed to have a hard time finding enough space to get shots off and I didn't see much offense running through him with his passing skills, that got some of us excited when he was brought in last season.

Call it what you want, but I still have serious doubts about the trade and where his value will be, by the last season on his contract.

I am worried about this brutal schedule to start the season. If we are 6 games under .500 in the first 12 games we will have to set the world on fire the rest of the season. I’d be happy with a 10th seed but only if we are trending upward at seasons end

I am worried about this brutal schedule to start the season. If we are 6 games under .500 in the first 12 games we will have to set the world on fire the rest of the season. I’d be happy with a 10th seed but only if we are trending upward at seasons end
Six games under .500 in the first 12 games would be zero wins!!! Count me in on the major concern meter if we start the year on a 12 game losing streak!! o_O

Last 2 minute report has all correct calls, other than a no-call incorrect on a 5-second violation that should have been called on Fox.

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0022200014
The end of game officiating was extremely annoying, but I’m not sure the calls were technically wrong (consistent with the two minute report). We just got hit with all of the infractions that are non-sensical in the rule book (minor taunting, loose ball bounces off Doma’s foot….etc.)

Outside of Josh Hart, and Jermai Grant, our defense did well. Those two destroyed us. Lillard and Simons shot 14/40, 35%. But we could not stop Hart and Grant, Barnes got totally cooked all night. It’s only one game, we will see how he does over this hard stretch of games.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Six games under .500 in the first 12 games would be zero wins!!! Count me in on the major concern meter if we start the year on a 12 game losing streak!! o_O
"Under .500" is not a strictly-defined technical term. Sometimes people take it to mean the number of already-completed game results you would have to change to get to .500 (0-12 is 6 games under .500), sometimes people take it to mean the number of future games you would have to consecutively win from that point to get up to .500 (3-9 is 6 games under .500). Iowamcnabb probably meant the latter.

Back to the game though:

The only real big concern I had was Barnes defense. He got absolutely cooked the whole game by Hart and Grant and looks like he's lost a step or 2 in terms of his lateral quickness. The fix might need to be him coming off the bench and being the lead scorer there with KZ/Keegan starting, because I'm not so sure you can have Barnes out there late-game defending the top-tier wings anymore.
I think that was part of the problem. KZ was supposed to defend them but he was struggling. Barnes has to take a second tier offensive player defensively.

I think that was part of the problem. KZ was supposed to defend them but he was struggling. Barnes has to take a second tier offensive player defensively.
I was looking at the stats, and we defended everyone quite well. It was Hart and Grant that absolutely destroyed us. Now Barnes probably lost a step, but some of those takes on him we’re not explosive takes. It’s only one game though, and outside of the defense of those two m, our defense looked good.

I was looking at the stats, and we defended everyone quite well. It was Hart and Grant that absolutely destroyed us. Now Barnes probably lost a step, but some of those takes on him we’re not explosive takes. It’s only one game though, and outside of the defense of those two m, our defense looked good.
Grant kept them in the game when they were in the ropes. It's something that we will have to figure out.

There’s a good argument that we were bad enough last year to force a rebuild. I think we’re still mid-tinker.

It's always been questionable where Barnes was moving forward. The thought that he might not be in the long term plans is hardly something new here. It's just a matter of actually getting something back. And getting Keegan 100% changed the calculus since they have more than a little overlap.
About a week or 2 ago I called it that Keegan was coming for Barnes's position, not KZ's. I still stand by that.

The only concern is what will that do for Barnes's trade value and I think it will actually increase it, as Barnes will be going against mostly second unit 3s and 4s.

Some people think we need Barnes's driving and layups. Keegan can do the same thing, he just does it differently. Barnes uses his shiftyness, Keegan uses his length and vertical jump (which might be a good time to point out how well Keegan uses that verticality as when he rises, he usually goes into space as opposed of into the defender, meaning he will have more opportunities for and-1s).

The thing with starting KZ and Murray while benching Barnes is that both Keegan and KZ have elite skills where Barnes is more a jack of a few trades.

Also I think Keegan uses his length better to alter or block shots than Barnes does, with lateral quickness between the 2 a wash right now.

Have you set a definition for what "working" would be for this current team, for this season?
Clearly in that grouping of 8 playoff teams or 10 if it's a true 10 above the others but it needs to be tight with the real playoff teams. This team traded to win now, drafted to win now, brought in a coach to win now. Win now is the path they've chosen and it has to head that way now because there is no 2 years from now with this squad. The upward trend has to start this season. We have to see how things shake out but the struggles of the last 2 seasons were clear and evident. Any of that look and time to start tracing their steps backwards

There’s a good argument that we were bad enough last year to force a rebuild. I think we’re still mid-tinker.
For sure, but there's also an argument that this team had talent and has even more now and are finally starting over without the coach of the last regime. Especially with the team Monte built, shooting makes a huge difference and that is probably going to the difference on both ends. Hence the crossroads if Mike Brown thinks it's a decision to sacrifice defense depending on who he plays. Which it kind of is.

About a week or 2 ago I called it that Keegan was coming for Barnes's position, not KZ's. I still stand by that.

The only concern is what will that do for Barnes's trade value and I think it will actually increase it, as Barnes will be going against mostly second unit 3s and 4s.

Some people think we need Barnes's driving and layups. Keegan can do the same thing, he just does it differently. Barnes uses his shiftyness, Keegan uses his length and vertical jump (which might be a good time to point out how well Keegan uses that verticality as when he rises, he usually goes into space as opposed of into the defender, meaning he will have more opportunities for and-1s).

The thing with starting KZ and Murray while benching Barnes is that both Keegan and KZ have elite skills where Barnes is more a jack of a few trades.

Also I think Keegan uses his length better to alter or block shots than Barnes does, with lateral quickness between the 2 a wash right now.
Keegan looked best as the guy spreading for Barnes/Fox/Sabonis already. If there is a combo there with this more PF than SF crop of wings it's there. Barnes and Murray. What you call them doesn't really matter, like Brown said, there really isn't much of a difference between the 2 and 4 since they are there largely to catch and shoot or spread. I think it will be like preseason at some point before unless a change up is needed. You'll eventually see him glide right over to his clear cut core lineup of Fox/Huerter/Barnes/Murray/Domas regardless of who starts or comes off the bench. If a KZ Okpala is the difference in any lineup because of his defense so be it. If they can use Barnes' creation ability off the bench, same thing. The next game is the one where we see what this team could be. Sabonis has to show up though.

Huh?

KZ spent his time on Dame, and I thought he did a damn good job. The point of KZ is he takes the best offensive player so you don't lose to guys like Dame and force Grant/Hart to beat you. Unfortunately, they smoked Barnes.

Huh?

KZ spent his time on Dame, and I thought he did a damn good job. The point of KZ is he takes the best offensive player so you don't lose to guys like Dame and force Grant/Hart to beat you. Unfortunately, they smoked Barnes.
yep well that is where Fox needs to shut down Dame and KZ needs to take on Grant.

It's hard to imagine Barnes and Holmes having much value at all right now unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.