Paris Olympics 2024

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
BREAKING: Kyle Dake (USA) scores a come-from-behind victory over Hetik Cabolov (SRB) in the Men's 74kg Bronze Medal match. Cabolov led by 4-1 with 48 seconds to go in the second period, after a failed challenge by USA. This is the second-consecutive Olympic Bronze Medal for Dake.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: World Record holder, reigning World Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist Faith Kipyegon (KEN) threepeats in the Women's 1500m, with an Olympic Record (3:51.29)! No woman has ever won three consecutive Gold Medals in this event. Jessica Hull (AUS) wins Silver; it is the first-ever Olympic medal for Australia in this event. Georgia Bell (GBR) gets Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
China currently has a 4-2 Gold Medal advantage on the day. China still has two more Gold Medal opportunities tonight and is favored to win both of them. USA has six five more Gold Medal opportunities, but is only favored to win two of them.

EDIT - I was mistaken: one of the Gold Medal events I had counted isn't until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States threepeats in the Men's 4x400m relay, with an Olympic record (2:54.43)! Botswana gets Silver, Great Britain takes Bronze.

This is one of the four events that USA was not favored to win (Botswana), so this is big. 16 year-old Quincy Wilson, who ran in the preliminary heat, will receive a Gold Medal.

1-for-2.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Hamish Kerr (NZL) wins the Men's High Jump. Shelby McEwen settles for Silver. Defending Olympic Gold Medalist Mutaz Barshim (QAT) settles for Bronze.

Kerr and McEwen were tied after seven jumps. McEwen declined an opportunity to share gold, as happened in Tokyo, and demanded a jump-off, which he subsequently lost. This is the first-ever Gold Medal in this event for New Zealand.

1-for-3.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States eight-peats in the Women's 4x400m relay, with and American Record (3:15.27). Netherlands entered the anchor lap in fourth place, but rallied for Silver behind Femke Bol. Great Britain takes Bronze. Ireland, running in their first final in national history, missed the podium by 0.18 seconds. United States has not lost in this event since Barcelona. The World Record has stood since 1988 (USSR).

2-for-4.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
China will go into the final day of competition leading USA by one in the Gold Medal count. On the final day of competition, China will have four Gold Medal opportunities and will be favored in one of them. USA will have six Gold Medal opportunities and are favored in two of them. If there are no upsets, we'll end with a Gold Medal tie, and USA has already clinched the overall medal count victory.

At the Sydney Olympics, Andreea Raducan of Romania was stripped of her All-Around gold medal due to cough medicine; specifically two pills of Sudafed given to her by a team doctor that in no way affected her performance.

She was exonerated of any wrong doing, but still, nearly a quarter century later, has not had her gold medal returned.

This, as I’ve stated before, is a horrendous miscarriage of justice. I openly reject this clearly egregious error by the IOC and FIG, and consider Raducan the rightful All-Around champion of the Sydney Olympics and will continue to do so whether those in charge come to their senses or not.

In that same spirit, Chiles is my official bronze medal champion on the floor exercise for the 2024 Paris Olympics and will remain so regardless of what a committee has decided nearly a week after the fact.

Romania throwing a collective conniption fit for the last 5 days, even having their President threaten to boycott the closing ceremonies over a perceived slight is totally contrary to the spirit of the games. To reward them for that behavior with the flimsiest shield of a technicality is spineless and cowardly. Chiles’ difficulty score was misjudged and corrected at the meet in real time according to FIG rules; she quite plainly had the more difficult and better executed routine, and is therefore the rightful owner of the bronze medal that she earned.

It is unfortunate Barbosu had already started celebrating Romania’s first women’s gymnastics medal since the London games when the score was changed, and I felt for her in the moment and admonished the clumsy way it was handled. But any sympathy I had for her, Romania, and their once great program evaporated when they decided to complain their way into a freaking bronze medal on floor. Romania’s legacy in the sport is far far greater than that. Compelling Nadia Comenci to use her star power and influence to help wrestle back the shallowest of accolades in a gambit to declare their gymnastics program officially back from the wilderness is beneath them, beneath all of us, and beneath the Olympic Games.

Barbosu and Voinea getting medals is a nice story for Romania.

Chiles earning her spot on that podium became an inspiring story for the world and gave us one of the most iconic moments of these or any other games in history.

IMG_5236.jpeg
This picture is more than Biles and Chiles giving Andrade her due respect in Chiles’ endearingly ridiculous and over the top manner. It is the current dominate juggernaut of the sport demonstrating humility and reverence for a victorious opponent. It is the United States - the world’s favorite target of ire for being obnoxiously arrogant, self-centered, and toxically obsessed with winning - showing the ability and eagerness to celebrate the triumphs of others. It is the greatest gymnast the world has ever known giving her closest rival the spotlight. It is women who cannot speak each other’s language communicating with magnificence. It is a woman born in a slum being shown the highest honor from the richest and most powerful nation on earth. And yes, it is the first all black podium in Olympics gymnastics history.

And it only happened because Chiles earned her way on that podium.

It is also the three highest scoring gymnasts on floor that night.

And Romanian tarnished all of that because they think the score was updated a few seconds too late.

As far as I’m concerned, they’ve managed to tarnish their own otherwise stellar legacy along with it.

Hope that bronze medal was worth it.

The three women pictured above will wave to you at the Pierre de Coubertin World Trophy awards ceremony.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My understanding is Romania was asking for a second Bronze (actually two additional Bronze) medal awarded and instead they have screwed Chiles. I keep hearing Ana is a classy person so maybe she will refuse the medal unless Chiles is allowed to keep hers but somehow I doubt that. Embarassing all around. What repercussions will the judges who screwed up face?

My understanding is Romania was asking for a second Bronze (actually two additional Bronze) medal awarded and instead they have screwed Chiles. I keep hearing Ana is a classy person so maybe she will refuse the medal unless Chiles is allowed to keep hers but somehow I doubt that. Embarassing all around. What repercussions will the judges who screwed up face?
Romania knows full well and good they would not be giving their athletes medals without stripping Chiles of hers. Don’t let any sob story to the contrary fool you. The only way Barbosu and Voinea were going to end up with medals is if the scores were changed; whoever wound up in fourth was leaving Paris without hardware.

And again, the two Romanians making it to the podium after 12 years not medaling at the Olympics in a sport they once dominated would have been a nice story.

But simply put, they did not score higher than Chiles. Difficulty scores are different than Execution scores: They are a set point total already assigned to the skill the athlete plans to compete. Team USA did not complain that Chiles should have been scored higher by the judges because “hey wait a minute, she actually nailed that wolf turn. You should give her more points.” They brought to the judges’ attention an error in her Difficulty score and it was appropriately changed.

Had this been in the middle of the event, I’m betting no one would have cared. Score adjustments happen during meets. And Romania isn’t even arguing that the score adjustment was incorrect. Their entire complaint is the change happened after their athlete(s) had been announced as the bronze medalist on the overhead, and that made her/them really confused and sad.

And since then, they have gone full out villainous, including some salacious attacks on both the judges and Chiles herself through social media that I didn’t even know about until now. All around, Romania’s collective behavior to strip Chiles of the medal she earned and give it to their own athletes who did not score as high because their feelings were hurt has been vile, and gross, and not inline with the spirit of the Olympic Games.

They should be ashamed. They have sullied their once pristine reputation in this sport.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The good news: USA scored an upset win in Women's Omnium. The bad news: they were upset in straight sets in Women's Indoor Volleyball (they were only barely a slight favorite, but still). This means that the US has no path to winning the Gold Medal count outright; the best they can do is tie.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Romania knows full well and good they would not be giving their athletes medals without stripping Chiles of hers. Don’t let any sob story to the contrary fool you. The only way Barbuso and Voinea were going to end up with medals is if the scores were changed; whoever wound up in fourth was leaving Paris without hardware.

And again, the two Romanians making it to the podium after 12 years not medaling at the Olympics in a sport they once dominated would have been a nice story.

But simply put, they did not score higher than Chiles. Difficulty scores are different than Execution scores: They are a set point total already assigned to the skill the athlete plans to compete. Team USA did not complain that Chiles should have been scored higher by the judges because “hey wait a minute, she actually nailed that wolf turn. You should give her more points.” They brought to the judges’ attention an error in her Difficulty score and it was appropriately changed.

Had this been in the middle of the event, I’m betting no one would have cared. Score adjustments happen during meets. And Romania isn’t even arguing that the score adjustment was incorrect. Their entire complaint is the change happened after their athlete(s) had been announced as the bronze medalist on the overhead, and that made her/them really confused and sad.

And since then, they have gone full out villainous, including some salacious attacks on both the judges and Chiles herself through social media that I didn’t even know about until now. All around, Romania’s collective behavior to strip Chiles of the medal she earned and give it to their own athletes who did not score as high because their feelings were hurt has been vile, and gross, and not inline with the spirit of the Olympic Games.

They should be ashamed. They have sullied their once pristine reputation in this sport.
From what I’ve read of the story the US delegate was up from their seat within 40 seconds of the score being posted - how much faster could anyone react? It’s absurd the last participant is given a quarter of the time to get their score reviewed as all other contestants and such a simple easily correctable but obvious miscalculation/error is allowed to stand.

I’m sorry but “rules are rules” bs is out the window when one person doesn’t get the same rules.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
From what I’ve read of the story the US delegate was up from their seat within 40 seconds of the score being posted - how much faster could anyone react? It’s absurd the last participant is given a quarter of the time to get their score reviewed as all other contestants and such a simple easily correctable but obvious miscalculation/error is allowed to stand.

I’m sorry but “rules are rules” bs is out the window when one person doesn’t get the same rules.
1723412588139.png

Literally, the ruling body said the request came to the judges 4 seconds late.

This has nothing to do with rules, or inquires, or score changes. This is a nation whose been starved for a medal in a sport they used to dominate, hardcore white knighting for an 18-year-old woman who got the most brutal atomic gut punch possible in sports on live global TV, and the IOC shrinking from the pressure of the all out blitz of accusations that they showed favoritism or even outright cheated for the Damn Yankees.

I have the utmost respect for Comaneci and believe she is right when she said the way this was initially handled, making the change after Barbosu had already been announced as the bronze medal winner, negatively impacts athletes’ mental health.

How about stripping an athlete of a medal she earned five full days later after she endured a flood of online abuse from a legion of trolls explicitly hellbent on making her life miserable?

Chiles deserves her medal. Barbosu can have one too, I don’t really care; she came out of nowhere to even be in the running and it’s a nice story for Romania. Welcome back to the big leagues … I guess. I’d be a lot more excited if I felt they’d actually earned it, and weren’t just getting an “oopsie, we screwed up. Here’s a lollipop. Please don’t cry kid” medal.

Whatever. Chiles did earn her place on the podium. Give her back her damn medal.

Voinea can kick rocks; she’s been the most vocal online demanding she get a medal too and she has the least ground to stand on of the three of them.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Getting caught up after busy week. Is everything really leaving Peacock after tonight?

USWNT definitely seemed to be a bit lacking in depth especially after their first two knockout games needed extra time but they are in great hands under Emma Hayes. Three years is a long ways away until the next world cup so looking forward to shoring up the midfield. Front line is looking good for the next two cycles I'd think.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Romania can challenge a points adjustment that all sides agree made the score correct, but the US cannot present evidence that proves the reason for Romania winning that challenge and reversing the point to its incorrect pre-adjustment total is bogus?

Honestly, this all just reeks of anti-Americanism.

“They have enough medals. We haven’t had one in 12 years. You owe Romania a medal for how you made this sweet woman cry.”