OFFICIAL trade thread. Post trade proposals HERE! (merged)

BibityBobtyBoom said:
i like the kg but not giving away peja and miller, petrie wouldn't do it.
i dont claim to know geoff petrie's mind, but i gotta believe he would pull the trigger if this trade were possible. i mean, kevin garnett is, without a doubt, among the most dominant players in the nba. i'd hate to part with peja and miller as well, but c'mon, its kevin garnett. he's the type of guy you really can build a team around. his intensity is unequaled, and he's a great floor-leader, not to mention a former MVP.

O

ONEZERO

Hey, were there crazy trade proposals 2-3 years back on this board? Or is it like that this year cause of the circus season?

BibityBobtyBoom said:
i would cry if that was our line up. and is that larry hughes, if so then that would be a defensive monster of a team just no points cept from bibby and kg, i like the kg but not giving away peja and miller, petrie wouldn't do it.
I'd cry too, because I'd be happy to get KG. If anything, that lineup would also be temporary. Free agency and trades could be done to fill out the roster with more polished/desirable players.

Hughes was a 20 ppg scorer this season (as well as a few seasons ago), maybe not as efficient as you would like him to be though.

Being a defensive monster of a team with 2 primary scorers didn't stop the Pistons (Billups and Hamilton). Not trying to compare the Pistions to a non existent team. I don't see that trade happening anyway.

Last edited:
I am a HUGE KG fan. I would love to see him in a Kings' uniform. However, he will not be the answer to our problems. In order to get him, we will have to give up at least 2 of our main 3 guys, even then, I do not believe that the T'wolves would give him up to us. If we get rid of two of our core, we do NOT improve. If all we needed was KG, then the Wolves would have at least made the playoffs. You can blame them not making the playoffs on the rest of the team. If you do that, however, you must realize that the team we put around KG would not be as good as the wolves' supporting cast last season. Garnett's contract is MASSIVE. We would have to give up too much to get him. If by some miracle, Petrie was able to pull it off, we would still not have any players to put around him. Having one great player will not make us a great team again.
I would NEVER object to having him on our team. I just do not see it as a realistic option.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
chelle said:
I am a HUGE KG fan. I would love to see him in a Kings' uniform. However, he will not be the answer to our problems. In order to get him, we will have to give up at least 2 of our main 3 guys, even then, I do not believe that the T'wolves would give him up to us. If we get rid of two of our core, we do NOT improve. If all we needed was KG, then the Wolves would have at least made the playoffs. You can blame them not making the playoffs on the rest of the team. If you do that, however, you must realize that the team we put around KG would not be as good as the wolves' supporting cast last season. Garnett's contract is MASSIVE. We would have to give up too much to get him. If by some miracle, Petrie was able to pull it off, we would still not have any players to put around him. Having one great player will not make us a great team again.
I would NEVER object to having him on our team. I just do not see it as a realistic option.
KG is worth more to a franchise than any two of our good but not greaters. Basketball has always been the sport where a superstud has by far the largest impact on the game (major sport) -- few players, small court, able to be involved in nearly every play. If you had KG and Bibby, that is a better "core" than Bibby/Peja/Miller, and it dramatically solves many of our weaknesses (rebounding, defense, toughness, leadership etc.) in one move too. It puts you exactly one strong player -- not even a star -- from being about as good as the Wolves were last year when KG/Cassel (Bibby)/Latrell had the best record in the West (you could even resign Mobley and get a similar contribution to Sprees 16pts on 41% shooting). You're in the hunt then, and remain so as long as the Bibby/KG combo remains healthy and young enough.

P.S. I assume it would be unnnecessary to point out that in order to trade for KGs massive contract, we would have to trade away just as much "mass" and would be no worse off than we are now financially.

KG Scenario (just for example)
1) we trade Peja/Miller for KG (not even going into whether the Wolves would do that).
2) KG is currently the single best suited big man in the league to run our high post offense (indeed has often cited Webb as his idol), so we get to remain ourselfves with our normal offense.
3) KG led the league in rebounding, we get much stronger on the boards
4) KG was again First Team All Defense, we find our new defensive captain and get much better defensively
5) KG is also a very vocal leader -- another hole plugged.
6) Bibby is now Cassel from last year (very similar players, but Bibby is still young, and is not a jerk). Bibby also now has his great pick and roll partner back.
7) we resign Cat to be Sprewell from last year. Not perfect, but gives the shooting, can match the 16ppg that Spree put up, and is only 30. He, Bibby, KG alone get you in the hunt.
8) now, Bobby and KG are friends from Bobby's Minnesota days, so we bring back BJax to once again be a dyncamic 6th man. If he stays helathy, now we are getting close.
9) Mo Evans is also a friend of KGs from his Minnesota days, so hopefully KGs presence causes Mo to resign as well.
10) we can go ahead and bring back Matt Barnes just for another hustler.
11) we add the #23 pick in the draft
12) we sign a player with the midlevel exception this year (lets just say Kwame for kicks -- KG might be the perfect tutor for the kid as a former big/skilled child progidy himself)

If that's ALL we do -- we trade for KG, but otherwise sit on our *** and just sign a player with the midlevel, draft at #23, and retain our 2 FAs (easier to do with KG in town), we are back in the hunt. That's the power of a superstar such as KG -- he plugs so many holes all by himself, and in particular so many of our really problematic holes, that he can put you in the hunt with just the one move. Not even saying this would be my plan, but that one simple trade + the logical follow up moves results in this roster:

C - Greg Ostertag
PF/SF - Kevin Garnett
PF/SF - Kenny Thomas
OG - Cutino Mobley
PG - Mike Bibby

PG/OG - Bobby Jackson
OG/SF - Mo Evans
PF/C - Kwame Brown
PF/C - Brian Skinner
SF/PF - Corliss Williamson
OG - Kevin Martin
SF - Matt Barnes
+ #23 pick in the draft

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
KG is worth more to a franchise than any two of our good but not greaters. Basketball has always been the sport where a superstud has by far the largest impact on the game (major sport) -- few players, small court, able to be involved in nearly every play. If you had KG and Bibby, that is a better "core" than Bibby/Peja/Miller, and it dramatically solves many of our weaknesses (rebounding, defense, toughness, leadership etc.) in one move too. It puts you exactly one strong player -- not even a star -- from being about as good as the Wolves were last year when KG/Cassel (Bibby)/Latrell had the best record in the West (you could even resign Mobley and get a similar contribution to Sprees 16pts on 41% shooting). You're in the hunt then, and remain so as long as the Bibby/KG combo remains healthy and young enough.

P.S. I assume it would be unnnecessary to point out that in order to trade for KGs massive contract, we would have to trade away just as much "mass" and would be no worse off than we are now financially.

KG Scenario (just for example)
1) we trade Peja/Miller for KG (not even going into whether the Wolves would do that).
2) KG is currently the single best suited big man in the league to run our high post offense (indeed has often cited Webb as his idol), so we get to remain ourselfves with our normal offense.
3) KG led the league in rebounding, we get much stronger on the boards
4) KG was again First Team All Defense, we find our new defensive captain and get much better defensively
5) KG is also a very vocal leader -- another hole plugged.
6) Bibby is now Cassel from last year (very similar players, but Bibby is still young, and is not a jerk). Bibby also now has his great pick and roll partner back.
7) we resign Cat to be Sprewell from last year. Not perfect, but gives the shooting, can match the 16ppg that Spree put up, and is only 30. He, Bibby, KG alone get you in the hunt.
8) now, Bobby and KG are friends from Bobby's Minnesota days, so we bring back BJax to once again be a dyncamic 6th man. If he stays helathy, now we are getting close.
9) Mo Evans is also a friend of KGs from his Minnesota days, so hopefully KGs presence causes Mo to resign as well.
10) we can go ahead and bring back Matt Barnes just for another hustler.
11) we add the #23 pick in the draft
12) we sign a player with the midlevel exception this year (lets just say Kwame for kicks -- KG might be the perfect tutor for the kid as a former big/skilled child progidy himself)

If that's ALL we do -- we trade for KG, but otherwise sit on our *** and just sign a player with the midlevel, draft at #23, and retain our 2 FAs (easier to do with KG in town), we are back in the hunt. That's the power of a superstar such as KG -- he plugs so many holes all by himself, and in particular so many of our really problematic holes, that he can put you in the hunt with just the one move. Not even saying this would be my plan, but that one simple trade + the logical follow up moves results in this roster:

C - Greg Ostertag
PF/SF - Kevin Garnett
PF/SF - Kenny Thomas
OG - Cutino Mobley
PG - Mike Bibby

PG/OG - Bobby Jackson
OG/SF - Mo Evans
PF/C - Kwame Brown
PF/C - Brian Skinner
SF/PF - Corliss Williamson
OG - Kevin Martin
SF - Matt Barnes
+ #23 pick in the draft
I'd say maybe Gadzuric instead of Kwame, we'd need a better center to start than Tag, no?

Again, I find myself in agreement with one of Brick's offseason plans (even though he stole one of my previous ones :p ). I can only hope Geoff would do the same if the Wolves were willing. What does it take for the Wolves to be willing? Throw in the pick too?

Bricklayer

I would make more moves myself, but that's just me. I was just trying to show how incredibly easy it is if you get KG for 2 of our 3 amigos. Even Danny Ainge could execute my conservative offseason plan if we were somehow to get KG that cheaply. Get a good GM like Petrie on the lookout for a better center or a backcourt stopper, and we could be in serious business. But even with the no fuss lineup above we are dramatically bigger, tougher, much better on the boards etc.

considering salaries it is more likely that min will trade kg for biby/miller + they have wally locked on SF.....and casell getting old and slow.....with kg we will be one-man team but good one….on other hand one bad injury and we will be lottery team...

Bricklayer

starks said:
considering salaries it is more likely that min will trade kg for biby/miller + they have wally locked on SF.....and casell getting old and slow.....with kg we will be one-man team but good one….on other hand one bad injury and we will be lottery team...
KG is basically Karl Malone reincarnated -- he's missed 2 games in the last five years, and 13 total in 10 years in the league. Actually I would argue that one of the problems with our "win with depth" approach is that we've had too MANY people we needed to be healthy in order to win it all. Probably 6 guys, or half the roster in any given year. Bad luck aside, chances are for any team that somebody on half of their roster is going to get hurt. Odds much more in your favor if the only key guy is 1/12 of the roster.

BTW, the reason the Peja/Miller combo is mentioned is because it actually matches KG's salary according to RealGM (not to mention that Bibby is clearly the one of the trio that would best complement and be complemented by KGs game).

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
KG is basically Karl Malone reincarnated -- he's missed 2 games in the last five years, and 13 total in 10 years in the league. Actually I would argue that one of the problems with our "win with depth" approach is that we've had too MANY people we needed to be healthy in order to win it all. Probably 6 guys, or half the roster in any given year. Bad luck aside, chances are for any team that somebody on half of their roster is going to get hurt. Odds much more in your favor if the only key guy is 1/12 of the roster.

BTW, the reason the Peja/Miller combo is mentioned is because it actually matches KG's salary according to RealGM (not to mention that Bibby is clearly the one of the trio that would best complement and be complemented by KGs game).
that's y i picked them

As I said, I would love to see KG in a King's jersey. I love the idea of Bibby and KG being our core and agree that it would improve our team. The question becomes, is it a realistic possibility. Why would Minnesota do the deal?

I have been adament about not trading Bibby, Miller, or Peja- even for KG. However, Brick made some good points. I am in the process of trying to decide which scenario I think can take us to a championship. KG would help us in areas where we struggle - rebonding and general toughness. I do not think that he is a leader (evidence- his past teams). We need that. If we trade for him, we will be even weaker at the center and since we would not have Peja, we would still be short a solid forward. He would give us star power, but I am still not convinced that getting him would leave us with enough "fire power." As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on this idea.

Bibby, Kenny and KG would make a pretty good core if we still kept Skinner and some how resigned Mobley or someone similar we could compete. Looking at NBADRAFT.net.........anyone know anything about Andrew Bynum 7 foot 280 pound HS senior. If that trade we're to go through, he wouldn't be too bad of an option at the 5 although he is quite young.

chelle said:
As I said, I would love to see KG in a King's jersey. I love the idea of Bibby and KG being our core and agree that it would improve our team. The question becomes, is it a realistic possibility. Why would Minnesota do the deal?
Well what if KG doesn't like what he sees with Minnesota's roster? I heard he may not be happy with the hiring of PJ Carlismo as their head coach. Sprewell is going to be gone, Wally has said he wants to be traded if he doesn't start, and Cassell is old and injury prone. If the T-Wolves can't upgrade, maybe KG will go to management and request a trade. Now the T-Wolves may wait for KG to back down his trade demand, or they can look at what offers teams may give them, and I think a combo of Miller and Peja would be a very nice option for them. They get two allstars for their unhappy superstar. I'm not saying this is very likely, but look at what happened last summer, with McGrady and Shaq requesting trades and receiving them.

T

thesanityannex

i'm once again hopping on the KG train after brick layed it all down. as much as i love peja/miller, they can bounce for a KG in return. i believe we would still need a new center though, someone a little FASTER and more ATHLETIC than o-tag.(bless his heart)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you have Kevin Garnett playing the 4, the 5 becomes much less critical as long as it's someone who can clog the lane, grab some boards and - if you're lucky - pass the ball once in a while without having it go into the stands.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NewMonkey said:
Peja and Miller for KG works under the cap. That's two All-Stars for one, and I'd do it in a heartbeat. You move Skinner to Center, Garnett plays Power Forward and Kenny Thomas moves to small forward. The Kings are instantly one of the best rebounding and shotblocking front lines in the NBA. KG plays help defense/goalie when Skinner is outsized (which really doesn't happen that often any more). Your bench is Corliss, Darius, Ostertag, Bobby and Evans/Martin/House. Bibby, Cuttino and KG are a championship-caliber core. Would Minnesota do it? I doubt it, but I can dream.
I LIKE that dream, although it appears we won't have Cuttino in the mix. It isn't totally out of reach, and I would not put it past Petrie to have been thinking about KG for a long time. So, if you're dreaming, so am I...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bigbadred00 said:
Would we be able to beat the Spurs or the Suns with such team in a 7 game series with KG? That's the real question and I'm pretty sure it's still probally no.
I don't see how you can assume it would be "no." A player like KG can change the dynamics of a team. We know that. If Petrie was to pull the trigger to get him, I'm sure he'd be thinking of what comlimentary role players he could get to fill out the balance...

I know I haven't been posting much recently, but I've been browsing the topics a lot, so I finally decided to post a trade idea.

Could we somehow get KG without losing Peja or Brad Miller? Something like Peja, Bobby, and Mobley for KG or Brad, Bobby, and Mobley? We could then trade Peja with one of the Kings other guys for someone like Paul Pierce or Ron Artest.

Option A
Mike Bibby
Maurice Evans
Peja Stojakovic/Paul Pierce/Ron Artest
Kevin Garnett
Brian Skinner

Option B
Mike Bibby
Maurice Evans
Kenny Thomas
Kevin Garnett
Brad Miller

With option A, the Kings bench would probably be empty. With option B, the Kings bench could still have some good roleplayers that could help the Kings when needed.

I know salaries would have to be checked to make sure it works. Also, the T-Wolves and either the the Celtics or the Pacers would have to take some huge risks.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We do not have Cuttino Mobley. He is opting out of his contract and, as a free agent, will most likely recieve offers that would exceed anything the Kings might be able to offer - even if they were so inclined, which I doubt.

VF21 said:
We do not have Cuttino Mobley. He is opting out of his contract and, as a free agent, will most likely recieve offers that would exceed anything the Kings might be able to offer - even if they were so inclined, which I doubt.
I was under the impression the Kings could do a sign and trade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
xrzn said:
I was under the impression the Kings could do a sign and trade.
It's NOT up to the Kings. Cuttino will most likely get decent offers so it's very doubtful he would agree to a sign and trade for the Kings. Why should he? AND - even if he did - as Kingsgurl has pointed out, the Timberwolves would be nuts to accept either of those deals. If we want to make a legitimate offer for KG, it's gonna take more than what you've shown.

That's the problem with some of these trade proposals. People seem to think the other team will accept whatever garbage we happen to throw their way. Petrie may be good, although I'm not as sure of that now as I once was, but he's not THAT good.

Garnett is league MVP material every single year. It's gonna take a lot more than one "all-star" and change to get him away from Minnesota.

xrzn said:
I know I haven't been posting much recently, but I've been browsing the topics a lot, so I finally decided to post a trade idea.

Could we somehow get KG without losing Peja or Brad Miller? Something like Peja, Bobby, and Mobley for KG or Brad, Bobby, and Mobley? We could then trade Peja with one of the Kings other guys for someone like Paul Pierce or Ron Artest.

Option A
Mike Bibby
Maurice Evans
Peja Stojakovic/Paul Pierce/Ron Artest
Kevin Garnett
Brian Skinner

Option B
Mike Bibby
Maurice Evans
Kenny Thomas
Kevin Garnett
Brad Miller

With option A, the Kings bench would probably be empty. With option B, the Kings bench could still have some good roleplayers that could help the Kings when needed.

I know salaries would have to be checked to make sure it works. Also, the T-Wolves and either the the Celtics or the Pacers would have to take some huge risks.
I don't think any of those options would work. Minnesota wouldn't trade for KG for more depth. To trade a star, you need a star in return. Maybe two stars for KG. In both of your line-ups we still have 2/3 big 3. If we get KG, guranteed 2/3 of the big 3 would be gone. The most realsitic on the Kings side would be Peja and Miller.

VF21 said:
It's NOT up to the Kings. Cuttino will most likely get decent offers so it's very doubtful he would agree to a sign and trade for the Kings. Why should he? AND - even if he did - as Kingsgurl has pointed out, the Timberwolves would be nuts to accept either of those deals. If we want to make a legitimate offer for KG, it's gonna take more than what you've shown.

That's the problem with some of these trade proposals. People seem to think the other team will accept whatever garbage we happen to throw their way. Petrie may be good, although I'm not as sure of that now as I once was, but he's not THAT good.

Garnett is league MVP material every single year. It's gonna take a lot more than one "all-star" and change to get him away from Minnesota.
Well I took into consideration the problems the T-Wolves management was having with Sam Cassell, Troy Hudson, Latrell Sprewell, and Wally Szczerbiak. The T-Wolves could get Bobby Jackson, Cuttino Mobley and Peja Stojakovic or Brad Miller and use them for the PG, SG, and the SF or C spot. Then, trade Cassell, Hudson, Sprewell, and Szczerbiak and get a strong PF and SF or C depending on what trade they accepted from the Kings. This could end up benefitting the T-Wolves more so than it would the Kings, but it would be getting T-Wolves to pull the trigger and giving up an amazing play in KG.

Bricklayer

I understand where xrzn is coming from, and that would be great, but probably just not happening. If we threw in a bunch of #1 picks or something, maybe Kevin as a young talented player, maybe. Maybe.

The argument would be an All-Star caliber player, starter to replace Spree, and a former Wolves player and Minnesota hero (college too) in BJax to take over at the point and get fans behind him + then come off the books at the end of the year if they want. If the star we trade is Peja, that makes two contracts off the books, and if we have thrown in Kevin and picks as well, then the Wolves have tremendous rebuilding freedom.

That's my argument for a non-Peja/Miller trade, and I'm sticking with it. :)

Realistically though, its a) unlikely KG is on the market; and b) if he is, I would think the Wolves would receive offers from every team in the league. Is Peja/Cat/Bobby + change really going to be the best offer they receive? I would think our one advantage in a KG sweepstakes would be precisely our ability to offer 2 All-Star caliber guys and still have enough leftover to make a KG trade worthwhile from our perspective.

Bricklayer said:
I would think our one advantage in a KG sweepstakes would be precisely our ability to offer 2 All-Star caliber guys and still have enough leftover to make a KG trade worthwhile from our perspective.
word

this, of course, is assuming KG wants out of minnesota. one would think he might, but who really knows? if does end up on the trading block, most likely thru trade demands, i think the kings would have a realistic shot at landing him with the "peja/miller (+ whatever, if necessary)" trades already proposed.