Official Draft thread (merged)

T

thesanityannex

i like going with either wayne simien or sean may. fill the pf spot and go from there. i'd really like simien if i had a choice.

thesanityannex said:
i like going with either wayne simien or sean may. fill the pf spot and go from there. i'd really like simien if i had a choice.
I would like Wayne Simien to, but he will not be going to the draft this year.

T

thesanityannex

bummer, didnt know that. wasnt he going to a few nba workout camps though??? or did he resign a letter of intent to play again at kansas? oh well, is sean may still up for grabs???

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You have to be careful with a Wayne Simien -- he is another college guy a bit undersized to play the position in the pros. Could work out well for you ala Boozer or Brand -- at least he's physical and likes the post -- or could not ala Marcus Fizer or Corliss or any of the other guys who get caught as short, slow 4/3 tweeners. And of course on our team it again raises the specter of who the hell is gooing to guard the rim if you have two stubby groundbound guys like Simien and Miller in there.

Potential kiss of death: gets hurt. A lot. Bring him to the Kings and it could be dangerous to his long term heath.

As an aside I remain intrigued by the idea of picking Ronny Turiaf -- tough, energetic, powerful, a little mean and relentless -- in short everything we are not. Very strong, and blocks shots too. Not sure he can ever be GREAT, but he could be an excellent interior defender/roleplayer and add a big batch fo toughness to our team.

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

brick, i fully agree here. whoever we pick, it must be along the lines of someone like turiaf--tough, energetic, powerful and a little mean (i dont care if they are really mean) the kings need to change their identity, not their system. they appear weak and soft to most other teams out there. i hope they bring in a real banger this year.

i didn't have a link . i got it off of another board but i'll post if i find it. i think it's a chad ford thing.

Julius Hodge workout

NEW YORK – If NBA folks somehow had forgotten about Julius Hodge during his four stellar years at North Carolina State, they got a great reminder of the good and the bad Tuesday afternoon.
Knicks president Isiah Thomas, Nets president Rod Thorn, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Conner, Bobcats GM and head coach Bernie Bickerstaff, Hornets GM Allan Bristow and Clippers head coach Mike Dunleavy – along with scouts from the Wizards, Heat, Sonics, Nuggets and Sixers – were all on hand to watch the new and improved Hodge.

Hodge has been working on adding some muscle to his wiry frame and improving that shaky jump shot. The verdict: Both have improved.

Hodge will never be a pure shooter – his release still has a major hitch – but at least the ball went in the hoop today. That didn't happen often enough in college in the estimation of NBA evaluators. He also looks a little stronger, though it's unlikely Hodge will ever be much thicker than Richard Hamilton.

Everything else about his game was great. His quickness, athleticism, ballhandling and court vision are pluses. He had one spectacular pass in two-on-two drills that was Jason Kidd-like.

Hodge has already had workouts with the Knicks, Rockets, Kings, Clippers, Jazz and Suns, and Insider got feedback from several of those teams. Each said he moved up the board after his workout with the team and would be in the mix late in the first round.

According to Hodge, several teams told him they were looking at him as a full-time point guard. One team at the workout confirmed that to me. If that holds true across the board, Hodge could make a major jump up the board.
posted: May 24, 2005 12:23:58 PM PDT | Feedback

Last edited:
insider.espn.go.com/nba/d...%3d2066422

i would have put the whole artical but it was to large

Monday, May 23, 2005

2005 NBA Draft team needs

By Chad Ford

Should teams draft to fill their needs or should they take the best player available when they draft?

Most teams will tell you that they choose the latter, but history shows that when they do it, disaster seems to strike. There's nothing worse than having a high draft pick sitting on the bench picking his nose.

The truth is that team needs matter. Some teams have glaring needs that must be filled through the draft. Only when a team is very deep, or has multiple picks, or the best player on the board is head and shoulders above the player who fits a need does it really have the luxury to draft the "best player available."

With the draft lottery – along with the debut of our first mock draft of the year – set for Tuesday, today Insider breaks down the needs of every team with a first-round pick.

Sacramento Kings

Pick(s): 23 Team Needs The Skinny

Power forward

Backup guard

Kenny Thomas did a nice job replacing Chris Webber, but the Kings would love to add a little more athleticism and size to their frontcourt. Players like Andray Blatche, Charlie Villanueva and Ronny Turiaf would all be good fits in Sacramento. The team also needs some depth in the backcourt if they decide not to pick up Bobby Jackson's option. Players like Ellis, Fernandez, Winston, McCants and Garcia could all be good fits.

Chad Ford covers the NBA and the NBA draft for ESPN Insider.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CaminoChaos said:
Pick(s): 23 Team Needs The Skinny

Power forward

Backup guard Kenny Thomas did a nice job replacing Chris Webber, but the Kings would love to add a little more athleticism and size to their frontcourt. Players like Andray Blatche, Charlie Villanueva and Ronny Turiaf would all be good fits in Sacramento. The team also needs some depth in the backcourt if they decide not to pick up Bobby Jackson's option. Players like Ellis, Fernandez, Winston, McCants and Garcia could all be good fits.
And right there is a main reasons you do not want to put ANY stock in anything Chad Ford has to say. Kenny Thomas is NOT a guard. If Ford can make that basic a mistake, he's simply not paying attention.

VF21 said:
And right there is a main reasons you do not want to put ANY stock in anything Chad Ford has to say. Kenny Thomas is NOT a guard. If Ford can make that basic a mistake, he's simply not paying attention.
i think he meant they need a backup gaurd and kenny thomas is a seprate sentence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, okay. Then I'll just disagree that Kenny Thomas did a "good job" replacing Chris Webber. Kenny Thomas may have done an okay job at the Power Forward position but to even talk of him replacing Webber is ludicrous.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_article/54/20050525/the_realgm_mock_draft/

23. Sacramento Kings .

Team needs: SG, PF, C.

Reasons: Sacramento entered the playoffs with two of their main players coming off injuries. They werent able to overcome a deep Seattle team, losing in 5 games. Shooting guard Cuttino Mobley recently stated that he will opt out of his contract with Sacramento and enter free agency. Power forward Darius Songaila has stated the same thing. After trading Chris Webber to Philly, they added depth to the front court, but it wasn't enough to overcome Brad Miller's broken leg.

The team will needs to address the shooting guard position. Their first rounder last year, Kevin Martin, saw very little playing time, and it is unknown if he will enter training camp as the starting shooting guard. If Sacramento lets Maurice Evans go as well, then they will definitely draft a 2.

They draft: Kennedy Winston, SG, Alabama, Ju.

Why?: Winston is the logical choice and the best available. He can flat out score. He would fit perfectly into the Princeton offense, coming off screens to get easy and open look, like Peja Stojakovic does with ease. His main weakness is that he is only a scorer. He can't get his teammates involved, things like that. He would need to share the ball in Sacramento's offense if he ever wants the ball to come his way. If he can improve that side of his game, then he would become a very good player for Sacramento.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i thought we needed defense

CaminoChaos said:
They draft: Cuttino Mobley, SG, Rhode Island, Ju.

Why?: Mobley is the logical choice and the best available. He can flat out score. He would fit perfectly into the Princeton offense, coming off screens to get easy and open look, like Peja Stojakovic does with ease. His main weakness is that he is only a scorer. He can't get his teammates involved, things like that. He would need to share the ball in Sacramento's offense if he ever wants the ball to come his way. If he can improve that side of his game, then he would become a very good player for Sacramento.
I just changed his name because they guy he is writing about sure sounds alot like Cat. I would just assume we resign Mo and platoon him and Martin at the SG.

Ryle said:
I just changed his name because they guy he is writing about sure sounds alot like Cat. I would just assume we resign Mo and platoon him and Martin at the SG.
Also, here is his bio from nbadraft.net:

Does not fight through screens on D, or set good screens on O is not a good defender at all, but has the ability to get much better…Can really be taken by aggressive/physical players…Opponents seems to dribble drive past (almost through) him with ease…Does not go for the ball on D-won't jump passing lanes or go after steals/blocks…Really needs to work on a number of areas, especially intensity.

No thanks. Although this does sound like every other player in our backcourt I don't think it would be prudent to add another.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, after reading that Maloof interview, I doubt they'll pick up a guy like Kennedy Winston this year. He's a good scorer and ballhandler, but he's not really a standout defender. I'd be surprised if the Kings use that 23 pick on a guard. If they plan on resigning Evans (which they should) and they keep Kevin Martin, I don't see why they would want to use their only draft pick on another two guard. Maybe if they get another pick they could go that way, but I think it's more likely they'll bring in a PF or C with that first round pick. On the other hand, there are a lot of good SG prospects projected to go in the late first round and early second round.

I'm warming up to the idea of Turiaf. He's the big bodied post defender we've been lacking. There are guys we could draft with more star potential, but he's definately the best fit for our team's needs right now. It's not usually best to draft based on need though if there's a better player available. I'd really like them to snatch up somebody else at 23 who's slipped lower than they should. I'd stay away from undersized PFs too, except Ike Diogu who's an absolute monster in college and skilled enough to play PF in the NBA at 6'8". He's Elton Brand with better scoring touch. An ideal situation would be if they could steal somebody at 23 and still get Turiaf later with another draft pick. Probably not going to happen, but that would be nice.

I kind of like Jawad Williams, he could be a good fit with us getting minutes off the bench backing up Peja. His stock seems pretty low, like not even close to a first round pick. Too bad we don't have a second-rounder this year. I'd like to see us try to trade for him on draft day or trade for a 2nd round pick that we could use on him. That could be a situation where you get something out of nothing, sort of like how Petrie got Songaila from Boston two years ago.

Are the Kings thinking High School in this years draft?

http://nbadraft.net/index.asp

I know you its only an oppinion but its all these guys do so I think its worth it to check out the site above and see their oppinions. They have us taking CJ Miles out of Skyline Highschool in Texas. http://nbadraft.net/profiles/cjmiles.asp

CJ Miles:
NBA Comparison: Ray Allen

Strengths: One of the premiere athletes on the High School level. Very advanced set of offensive skills ... Has the best feel for the game of any High School senior draft prospect ... Plays very under control. Knows how to create shots for himself and others ... Has some point guard skills ... Has an excellent jump shot with good range and very good mechanics ... Good strength for a High Schooler ... Handles the ball well and finds teammates off the dribble ... Has a nice turn around jumpshot ... Long arms make him a nice shot blocker ... Loves to take the ball to the basket, and has an excellent crossover dribble ... Has the strength to take the ball inside and absorb contact and finish ... Good body strength and long arms, always stays on balance ... Plays a good deal in the post on the HS level so he has added post skills ...

Weaknesses: Though he has good strength for college, he must gain weight and strength for the NBA level ... As with most High Schoolers he will be a long term project if he enters the draft, but he has developing skills and good athleticism ... Because he is the tallest kid on his HS team, he is asked to play inside, so his outside skills are not developing quite as well ... However, he gets time outside and has good range, and also sees time on the perimeter in the summer with Team Texas ...

-Aran Smith 2/8/05

CJ Miles
Birthdate: 3/18/87
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
College: Texas
Class: HS Senior
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 210
Hometown: Dallas, TX
High School: Skyline

Bricklayer said:
Yeah, nbadraft.net has had us taking this kid in their mock draft for a while now. Not sure why. Interesting thing is if you check draftcity's report they are nowhere NEAR as high on him and have him ranked as the 20th best HIGH SCHOOL player, let alone 23rd player in the overall draft.http://www.draftcity.com/viewprofile.php?p=276#
Yah I dont think anyone can assume we are getting a certain player just because these draft sites say so. But the interesting thing is that both compare him to Ray Allen and if we had a ray allen on our team that could help.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/fantasy/story

Draft Special: 2005 NBA Mock Draft
By Matt Lawrence
Senior Fantasy Writer

2005-06 NBA Mock Draft Special:
1. Milwaukee Bucks: C Andrew Bogut, Utah So.
Bogut has the talent to make an impact in the league right away. He could feasibly average a double-double in his rookie year. If Michael Redd decides to sign elsewhere this summer, Bogut could be the team's focal point on offense.

2. Atlanta Hawks: PG Chris Paul, WF So.

Chris Paul could be starting in Atlanta next season. (Getty Images)

Marvin Williams might be the better all-around talent, but with Childress, Smith and Harrington already on the roster, Paul will help fill a bigger need at the point. Paul's court vision and pass-first, shoot-second attitude make him the purest point guard in the draft.

3. Portland Trailblazers: SF Marvin Williams, UNC Fr.
Williams would have been a lottery pick last year if he decided to go straight from high school. He is the total package. At 6'9", 230 pounds, Williams has an NBA body already, despite being just 18 years old.

4. New Orleans Hornets: PF Sean May, UNC Jr.
May bolstered his draft value with a clutch game in the National Championship. If Jamaal Magloire does decide to sign elsewhere, the Hornets frontcourt will be major disarray. May has the talent to come in and average around 10 PPG and 6 RPG right away.

5. Charlotte Bobcats: C Martynas Andriuskevicius, Lithuania
Everything about Andriuskevicius is huge -- including the length of his name. At 7'3", 245 pounds, he is an absolute monster -- and he's just 18 years old. He has remarkably soft touch and good footwork, but needs a few years to develop still. He'll likely see minimal burn his rookie campaign.

6. Utah Jazz: PG Deron Williams, Illinois Jr.
The season-ending knee injury to starting point guard Raul Lopez opens up a major void for the Jazz. After Chris Paul, Williams is the best floor general available. He led Illinois to record 37 wins in 2005, and should get decent playing time right away.

7. Toronto Raptors: PF Fran Vazquez, Spain
Vazquez needs to develop a lot on the offensive side of the ball, but his defensive tenacity and blue-collar attitude will make him a favorite off the Raptors bench. His gigantic wing span helps make him a true defensive stopper, but he does not look to shoot enough -- despite shooting over 70 percent last year.

8. New York Knicks: SF Gerald Green, Gulf Shores Academy (TX)
The top high school prospect has been compared to Tracy McGrady because of his athletisism and versatility. He averaged 33 PPG, 12 RPG, 7 APG his senior year. It will likely take him a year or two to develop, but watch out when he does.

9. Golden State Warriors: SF Hakim Warrick, Syracuse Sr.
Warrick is definitely one of the best all-around athletes in the draft. His presence, along with Baron Davis, Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson, will make up one of the most explosive offensive units in the league. Warrick should make the transition to the pro game rather quickly.

10. Los Angles Lakers: PG Raymond Felton, UNC Jr.
Felton has the speed and wherewithal to stick with quickest points in the game. In the collegian ranks, he had the ability to blow by any defender at any time, and also finish above the rim. He'll likely split time with Chucky Atkins his rookie year, but will be a solid player down the road.

11. Orlando Magic: SF Martell Webster, Seattle Prep HS
The Magic have a great nucleus of talent, so they can afford to take their time developing a high school phenom like Webster. With Grant Hill's injury problems, the team will look to replace the former All-NBA'er a year or two down the road. Webster will have minimal Fantasy value next year, but has tremendous upside for the future.

12. Los Angeles Clippers: SG Rashad McCants, UNC Jr.
The Clippers have a decent mix of young talent, but injuries plagued them significantly this year. McCants is a blessed offensive player with the ability to blow past his defender and knock down a jumper. With the lowly Clippers, he should see playing time right away.

13. Charlotte Bobcats (from Cle via Pho): SF Danny Granger, New Mexico, Sr.
Granger is a rarity in the game today because of his all-around talent. He was the only player in Division 1-A to average 18.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 2.0 APG, 2.0 SPG and 2.0 BPG. The young 'Cats are in a developmental phase still, so Granger could start immediately.

14. Minnesota Timberwolves: C Channing Frye, Arizona St, Sr
Frye will be a welcome addition to the deteriorating T-Wolves. He's got a decent low post game and is very skilled defensively, but needs to add bulk and improve his speed. He'll eventually be an upgrade over Michael Olowokandi though.

15. New Jersey Nets: PF Chris Taft, Pittsburgh, So.
All season long, the Nets severely lacked a consistent big man. Taft is a bit raw offensively, but is a beast on the glass and defensive side of the ball. He could develop into a Udonis Haslem-type player.

16. Toronto Raptors (from Phi via Den and NJ): SF Antoine Wright, Texas A&M, Jr.
With Morris Peterson, Eric Williams and Donyell Marshall all free agents, Wright will fill a drastic need at the small forward position. He averaged around 18 PPG his junior year, and could be the best outside shooter available on the board.

17. Indiana Pacers: SG Rudy Fernandez, Spain
With Indiana going through an identity change with future Hall of Famer Reggie Miller deciding to hang 'em up, the Pacers will go after the best available shooting guard to slowly take his place. Fernandez is a pure shooter with great ball-handling skills, but he needs to bulk up still in order to compete at the pro level.

18. Boston Celtics: PG Jarrett Jack, Georgia Tech, Jr.
Gary Payton showed that his age is definitely catching up to him last year. His contract expired at the end of the season, so it's unlikely Boston will bring him back. Marcus Banks and Delonte West, who had a tough time with the transition to point guard, are the only two point guards on the team. Jack could take over as the starter right away.

19. Memphis Grizzlies: PF Charlie Villanueva, UConn So.
Villanueva made great strides in improvement the past couple years. He has the size and footwork for a low-post player, but sometimes appears to have his head out of the game. That won't fly in the pros.

20. Denver Nuggets (from Was via Orl): C Andrew Bynum, CT HS
Bynum has made it clear he might decide to remove his name from potential draft candidates if he isn't selected in the lottery (top 13 picks). At 6'11" and still growing, he'll eventually be a terror on the glass. He averaged 13.0 RPG and 6.0 BPG his senior year in high school.

21. Phoenix Suns (from Chi): PF Tiago Splitter, Brazil
Splitter has drawn comparisons to Pau Gasol because of his 6'10" frame and Spanish heritage. Despite being 20 years old, he's been scouted for years. He's got tremendous upside, but will need a few years to develop into a successful pro.

22. Denver Nuggets: SF Joey Graham, Oklahoma St, Sr.
Graham is an explosive slasher, but lacks a consistent outside jumper. With four years of college, he has the ability to play immediately in the NBA. His presence could push 'Melo to the shooting guard position.

23. Sacramento Kings: SG C.J. Miles, TX HS
Miles is one of the top high school players that have declared. He won't make an impact for a couple years though.

24. Houston Rockets: PF Wayne Simien, Kansas, Sr.

Wayne Simien averaged 20.3 PPG and 11.0 RPG with Kansas last year. (Getty Images)

Simien has made tremendous improvement in his four years at Kansas. After averaging 20 PPG and 10 RPG his senior year, he has the ability to compete in the pro game right away. With Juwan Howard and Clarence Weatherspoon getting older, Simien will be a regular in the Rockets' rotation.

25. Seattle Sonics: C Johan Petro, France
Petro is an 18-year-old seven-footer with tons of potential, but very raw skills. He'll need a year or two to learn, but could be a strong defensive presence down the road.

26. Detroit Pistons: C Randolph Morris, Kentucky, Fr.
The reigning champs have their 10 players already signed for 2005-06. They can afford to take on a raw project in Morris -- like they did with Darko Milicic. If Larry Brown comes back next year, virtually the only playing time Morris will see will be at practice..

27. Utah Jazz (from Dal): SF Ryan Gomes, Providence, Sr.
Gomes was one of the best players in the Big East the past two years. He is a consistent scorer that can drive the lane or can a jumper. He is also a very strong defensive player.

28. San Antonio Spurs: PF Ronny Turiaf, Gonzaga, Sr.
Turiaf will be a fan favorite when he reaches the next level because of his non-stop hustle. He's a similar mold to former Spur Malik Rose, but with more tenacity. He has a decent post game, but lacks a consistent jump shot. Bottom-line, he needs a lot of work offensively.

29. Miami Heat: SG Salim Stoudamire, Arizona, Sr.
As the cousin of former Rookie of the Year Damon Stoudamire, Salim has one of the sweetest outside shots in the game. He's a southpaw with great ball-handling skills and court awareness. He could be part of Miami's nine-man rotation right away.

30. New York Knicks (from Pho via SA): PF Ike Diogu, Arizona St, Jr.
At 6'8", 255 pounds, Diogu was an absolute monster in the paint during his college tenure. He has the strength to bang with power forwards in the pros, but needs to improve his versatility and athletisism.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There's no way the Kings pass up Johan Petro, Wayne Simien, Randolph Morris, Ike Diogu, and Ronny Turiaf for a high school SG. No way. If all those guys are still available, they're taking one of them.

Kev.in said:
Even if all those guys are gone before #23, I can't see them taking a high school SG.
I agree, I cannot imagine the Kings would pick up a player who could not play right away or is a massive project player; maybe they would pick one up if it is someone they can trade immediately...

T

thesanityannex

if the kings cant resign mo evans i'd like to see gerald green from hs as the sg. dont know if hes entering the draft though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do NOT want to see a high school player coming to the team at this point. We need someone who can contribute NOW, not a work in progress. Just my three cents...

VF21 said:
I do NOT want to see a high school player coming to the team at this point. We need someone who can contribute NOW, not a work in progress. Just my three cents...
That's what I'm saying! A project? Now? Maybe if we had 8-10 solid players ahead of the rookie, but not right now. Just no room for that kind of trial and error/hit and miss project.