[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NHL ratings were down significantly too. A good argument could be made that sports that played outside of their normal season as well as outside of their normal venues were impacted more.

NFL wasn't shy about social messaging this year and they're fine.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The NHL ratings were down significantly too. A good argument could be made that sports that played outside of their normal season as well as outside of their normal venues were impacted more.

Indeed. It can't be understated that the NFL is the only league that is more or less on its regular schedule.

Or could be during the time of no sports people found other interests and sports no longer are as appealing.

Their ratings are still down like 5-10 percent, but nothing lile the NBAs numbers. The NBA finals got beat out by 90 day fiance apparently

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Their ratings are still down like 5-10 percent, but nothing lile the NBAs numbers. The NBA finals got beat out by 90 day fiance apparently
Why would you feel so confident about saying something that could so easily be proven wrong?

https://newsakmi.com/news/entertainment/tv-news/ratings-for-sunday-4th-october-2020/

I can only surmise that you are incorrectly reading the "Adjustments" column as the final ratings for Game 3. That's not what that column reflects: it's a reflection of change in viewers from the beginning of the hour to the end of the hour. That 0.70/1.837 in the 20:00 hour and 0.60/1.540 in the 21:00 hour that you must have thought meant that the Finals finished behind 90-day Fiancé actually indicates how many more people tuned in between when the ratings were first measured, and when the ratings were last measured, for the hour.

Why would you feel so confident about saying something that could so easily be proven wrong?

https://newsakmi.com/news/entertainment/tv-news/ratings-for-sunday-4th-october-2020/

I can only surmise that you are incorrectly reading the "Adjustments" column as the final ratings for Game 3. That's not what that column reflects: it's a reflection of change in viewers from the beginning of the hour to the end of the hour. That 0.70/1.837 in the 20:00 hour and 0.60/1.540 in the 21:00 hour that you must have thought meant that the Finals finished behind 90-day Fiancé actually indicates how many more people tuned in between when the ratings were first measured, and when the ratings were last measured, for the hour.
So the NBA ratings arent down? And it was said on the news smart one.

But thats not what my post was about in the first place, it was about the viewership ratings and how theyve dropped. Viewership hasnt been this low in over 15 years......

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So the NBA ratings arent down? And it was said on the news smart one..
I didn't say that ratings weren't down: I said that your claim that they "got beat out by 90 day fiance" was false. Because it is. And, if they said it on the news, then the news was wrong, too.

But thats not what my post was about in the first place, it was about the viewership ratings and how theyve dropped. Viewership hasnt been this low in over 15 years.....
Yeah, you've been pretty clear about that. The ratings are lower than they've been in previous seasons. And my rebuttal to that is, so what? What difference does it make if the ratings for the 2020 Finals are lower than they were for the 2019 Finals? The 2020 Finals aren't in competition with the 2019 Finals. The 2020 Finals are in competition with what's on TV right now. The ratings for the 2020 Finals are still higher than everything that's on TV right now, other than 60 Minutes (which it still beat in the "key" demo, over the course of the hour), and the NFL. The NBA consistently wins the key demo, over everything that's not the NFL. That's what the advertisers care about, which means that that's what the networks care about. They don't care if the NBA's ratings are down, relative to previous years: so are everybody else's.

I didn't say that ratings weren't down: I said that your claim that they "got beat out by 90 day fiance" was false. Because it is. And, if they said it on the news, then the news was wrong, too.

Yeah, you've been pretty clear about that. The ratings are lower than they've been in previous seasons. And my rebuttal to that is, so what? What difference does it make if the ratings for the 2020 Finals are lower than they were for the 2019 Finals? The 2020 Finals aren't in competition with the 2019 Finals. The 2020 Finals are in competition with what's on TV right now. The ratings for the 2020 Finals are still higher than everything that's on TV right now, other than 60 Minutes (which it still beat in the "key" demo, over the course of the hour), and the NFL. The NBA consistently wins the key demo, over everything that's not the NFL. That's what the advertisers care about, which means that that's what the networks care about. They don't care if the NBA's ratings are down, relative to previous years: so are everybody else's.
Difference is $$$$$. TV contractors won't like the low ratings. Might even be in the contract if the rating is low enough the NBA gets less money. It would make sense.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The ratings aren't actually low, though. They're just lower than they were. And, like I said, they're not competing against what they were: they're competing against the rest of what's on, right now. And the NBA is still ahead of everything that's not the NFL.

And the NBA also still dominates the key advertising demographic, again, versus anything that's not the NFL. As long as they do that, the TV money isn't going anywhere.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Youre wrong. Ratings are more than 40% lower than any other Finals in the past 20 years and viewership is at an all time low. You can keep trying to play semantics and trying to reword my point to validate your own though, I find it quite entertaining
Your point is trash. Any argument framing the drop in ratings for the NBA in a way which dismisses or otherwise ignores the fact that ratings are down for everything is invalid, and disingenuous. You cannot have a good faith discussion about the NBA ratings without acknowledging that the NBA still beats out everything that it's actually competing with.

Your point is trash. Any argument framing the drop in ratings for the NBA in a way which dismisses or otherwise ignores the fact that ratings are down for everything is invalid, and disingenuous. You cannot have a good faith discussion about the NBA ratings without acknowledging that the NBA still beats out everything that it's actually competing with.
Given that it is across the board, will the money still be there? I have seen arguments that it will be but dynamics change. There was a time when newspaper advertising was robust but as circulation dried up so did the revenue. Advertising was still done and paid for but simply using a different medium. Is the advertising market getting ready to make another adjustment? Don't know.

I don't think one should take anything involving 2020 as concrete evidence of something. Too many variables, too many first time experiences.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Given that it is across the board, will the money still be there? I have seen arguments that it will be but dynamics change. There was a time when newspaper advertising was robust but as circulation dried up so did the revenue. Advertising was still done and paid for but simply using a different medium. Is the advertising market getting ready to make another adjustment? Don't know.
As long as they continue to dominate the key advertising demo (males 18-49), the money will always be there. Game 3 beat everything except the NFL (which it's never had to compete against before), had a 2:1 advantage over its closest competitor in Game 1, and enjoyed a 4:1 advantage over its closest competitor in Games 3 and 4. If the NBA can continue to average a 3:1 advantage in the key demo over everything else it goes head-to-head with, that TV money ain't going anywhere.

The NBA is not beating out everything its competing with is the point. Talk about being disingenuous yourself sir. And your stats are trash just like your weak argument. 90 day fiance had 2.9 million viewers compared to the 1.6 million the NBA finals game racked up.

Again though keep up your weak sauce, I enjoy eating it up

As long as they continue to dominate the key advertising demo (males 18-49), the money will always be there. Game 3 beat everything except the NFL (which it's never had to compete against before), had a 2:1 advantage over its closest competitor in Game 1, and enjoyed a 4:1 advantage over its closest competitor in Games 3 and 4. If the NBA can continue to average a 3:1 advantage in the key demo over everything else it goes head-to-head with, that TV money ain't going anywhere.
Tell that to the newspapers. Tell that to the radio broadcasters. Their money is now part of the TV money (I'm assuming). If viewership moves elsewhere, the money will follow. Has it? That I'm not willing to bet on. If you are watching ESPN streaming rather than over cable/satellite, you are still watching even if the numbers don't reflect it.

The disclaimer is, if there isn't a way to advertise on the different mediums and the current means of advertising is still the most effective, then you are probably right, the money will stay. But I wouldn't bet on advertisers not being able to come up with a way to get into any game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Attachments

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Tell that to the newspapers. Tell that to the radio broadcasters.
You can't compare different mediums like that. And you are also ignoring necessary context: newspapers died because the internet made it quicker and easier to access the product, and because, in a 24-hour news cycle, nobody has the patience to wait for their news to be disseminated once a day, any more. TV doesn't really have that problem, because there are still too many places in the US where the quality of the internet doesn't make streaming live TV a viable option, over broadcast or satellite.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This is the post you made, that started all this: would you like to read it again?

Let me repeat that, in case you missed it:

The NBA finals got beat out by 90 day fiance apparently
And here is a screen shot from the website that you are citing as evidence:

File1.png

Please be advised that the lakers are not playing the Jazz in the NBA Finals. Also, the Finals are not being played on ESPN. Stop reading the internet wrong.

You can't compare different mediums like that. And you are also ignoring necessary context: newspapers died because the internet made it quicker and easier to access the product, and because, in a 24-hour news cycle, nobody has the patience to wait for their news to be disseminated once a day, any more. TV doesn't really have that problem, because there are still too many places in the US where the quality of the internet doesn't make streaming live TV a viable option, over broadcast or satellite.
But that is the point, the dynamics changed. Are they changing again and if so, to what extent? The first part is, I think so but even so have no clue to the extent.

As far as the last part, that IS changing. Up to a few years ago, we didn't have broadband and when we did get it, it was the only game in town and I am miles away from the nearest town. There are now options of unlimited with no throttling down running off of the cell towers. Dynamics are changing but I don't know to what effect.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
But that is the point, the dynamics changed. Are they changing again and if so, to what extent? The first part is, I think so but even so have no clue to the extent.

As far as the last part, that IS changing. Up to a few years ago, we didn't have broadband and when we did get it, it was the only game in town and I am miles away from the nearest town. There are now options of unlimited with no throttling down running off of the cell towers. Dynamics are changing but I don't know to what effect.
When advertisers figure out how to advertise on the internet, then they'll pay the NBA to advertise on the internet. To borrow a phrase from when I was on active duty, you're trying to nuke this out, shipmate.

When advertisers figure out how to advertise on the internet, then they'll pay the NBA to advertise on the internet. To borrow a phrase from when I was on active duty, you're trying to nuke this out, shipmate.
Nuke it out? Nope. There’s one thing I have repeated, I don't know. Don't even know who will control said medium. Will they take a slice of the pie? You had pretty much given an absolute, that the money wasn't going anywhere with a disclaimer of course. I am simply questioning the certainty of that absolute.

He who controls the images controls the masses.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/theres-no-salvaging-these-awful-nba-finals-ratings/

My post is still valid, and the Lakers game got beat out by a garbage tv show. Ecen Adam Silver has come out and said something about it.

Have no comment on your whack source either huh? NBA Finals was no where in sight and thats your own source not mine.

"yOuRe DoInG tHe InTeRnEt WrOnG"

A semantics game can always be outplayed by facts. Ratings are lower than they ever have been, less fans are watching. Who cares about marketing? Commercials are the norm and will always be a part of cable or free live streaming services

RATINGS ARE LOW AND THE NBA GOT BEAT OUT BY TLC SHOWS

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Nuke it out? Nope. There’s one thing I have repeated, I don't know. Don't even know who will control said medium. Will they take a slice of the pie? You had pretty much given an absolute, that the money wasn't going anywhere with a disclaimer of course. I am simply questioning the certainty of that absolute.

He who controls the images controls the masses.
You have indeed consistently stated that you "don't know." You're also, in my opinion, doing the most to posit, "But, what if, though?", and I'm not sure what your endgame is?

Scanning through the thread, I'll offer this. As a die hard sports junkie, crap went off the rails political with my MLS team that I hold season tickets to last year, it turned me off in a major way, I was absolutely livid, and stuck holding tickets I couldn't resell, but I still renewed. (though after COVID I reduced from 4 to 2 tickets for next season)

I've watched less sports than ever this year, largely because most of these seasons have felt like they are forced conclusions to seasons suspended unnaturally. NHL it sure felt like the teams with momentum in March lost it by June. NBA was whackadoodle and they created a end of season close where a team went on a 9-0 tear and yet didn't advance.

I'm watching a bit of NFL though less than normal, because it feels like a full season but I didn't watch my team this week after our QB tested positive for COVID. I've tuned out all college sports right now.

It's the virus and a life priority issue. While I can't speak for everyone, I was the guy who watched live sports 5 days a week year round who is now maybe watching once a week. I could give f-all about people having opinions during a period it feels like the world is falling apart.

eta: my interest was so low I cancelled subscription live tv because of a price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.