Musselman era over...

I have to wonder if the Maloof's have really learned their lesson, or if they felt that this team was ready to contend in the playoffs with the roster they game Musselman.

Is Musselman the goat on which the Maloofs pile their personnel decision sins?
I have to think they've learned their lesson, and a hard lesson to learn, at that. Geoff Petrie can finally do his job...and that's a beautiful thing.

I think a dark horse is Paul Silas, who the Kings apparently almost hired before they decided on Adelman. I think his record has been tarnished some from being run out of Cleveland though.

My vote is still for Iavaroni.

I think a dark horse is Paul Silas, who the Kings apparently almost hired before they decided on Adelman. I think his record has been tarnished some from being run out of Cleveland though.

My vote is still for Iavaroni.
Yeah, I'm gonna take a pass on Silas...he's kinda worn out his welcome, as far as being an efficient head coach in this league. Iavaroni would make alot of people happy here, I have a feeling...including the Maloofs.

Yeah, I'm gonna take a pass on Silas...he's kinda worn out his welcome, as far as being an efficient head coach in this league. Iavaroni would make alot of people happy here, I have a feeling...including the Maloofs.
The thing about Iavaroni isn't that I know so much about him, even, as much as the fact that he's rumored to be at the top of so many people's wish lists around the league. Phoenix denied him the opportunity to leave until his contract expired, so he's obviously valuable.

I'd be fine with SVG as well, but I think he would have resurfaced last year had the Kings been interested.

The thing about Iavaroni isn't that I know so much about him, even, as much as the fact that he's rumored to be at the top of so many people's wish lists around the league. Phoenix denied him the opportunity to leave until his contract expired, so he's obviously valuable.

I'd be fine with SVG as well, but I think he would have resurfaced last year had the Kings been interested.
I think if the Maloofs came calling with 7-8 million, SVG would answer. Same goes for Marc.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If the team is truly rebuilding, look for the Maloofs to go for a young coach, like Elie or Iavaroni...the irony is that Musselman probably would have fit in this scenario.

If they are trying to "plug the holes and win now", then I'd bet a coach like Silas or SVG would get a call.

Thad Matta from Ohio State needs to be the coach...Since Oden, Connely and Cook are all entering the draft....tell me what you think...He is a very successful coach but then again I am a Buckeye Fan

Thad Matta from Ohio State needs to be the coach...Since Oden, Connely and Cook are all entering the draft....tell me what you think...He is a very successful coach but then again I am a Buckeye Fan
There were three incredible coaches in the Final Four. Thad Matta wasn't one of them.

cheers kingsfans :) i'm so glad hes off the saddle. i have a feeling he knew he was on the way out and intentionally screwed us by winning games at the end. now we're on the right track. hopefully we allow petrie to make the decision on a coach.

my top 3 would be SVG, elie, iavaroni

He made 7 million for less than 1 year of work.......don't shed too many tears.
Exactly, how far of a stretch would it be to think that he planned this?:

1) Gettting a DUI arrest, almost flaunting the fact that he was drunk and then skipping out of his punishment.

2) Alienating his players which he should have learned from based on losing his job in Oakland.

3) It's not to hard to think of him lossing on purpose, especially close games, subbing in a way that nobody can remotely justify like playing 6'6" Corliss as our Center and getting killed. Maybe the team felt this and lost respect for him. Some even coming out to a Sac Bee columnist as saying they don't respect the coach!

Well I will not shed a tear for a guy that is going to get $7M for 1 year of almost proven purposeful screwups one after another. :mad:

While the Maloofs have their wallets open...can they please pay K9 to go away too? He is really crippling our franchise!!!!! :(

People could argue the same with Artest, but that guy has legitimate problems and is not totally right in the head. To his defense, he is a warrior and one of the games most intense players with the drive of a champion. You can see him really enjoying the game, and trying to be the best he can be. Hopefully his problems are behind him and he can mentor our young group and quicken the rebuild process. While he wants to win so bad, I hope that if we put trust in him, that he can take losing is he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and now we trust in him. He has to learn though that he is not the #1 option like Kobe in scoring. I really think that he felt he needed to carry the team on his back since Bibby and Miller had such horrible years.

Last edited:
Rick Carlisle will be available in a few days. He's one of the best coaches in the league. You could do a lot worse.

As a Pacers fan and as someone who was 100% convinced that Musselman would be a really, really good coach. I don't know what went wrong - except Mus lost the team and it seemed to happen rather early on.

Exactly, how far of a stretch would it be to think that he planned this?:

1) Gettting a DUI arrest, almost flaunting the fact that he was drunk and then skipping out of his punishment.

2) Alienating his players which he should have learned from based on losing his job in Oakland.

3) It's not to hard to think of him lossing on purpose, especially close games, subbing in a way that nobody can remotely justify like playing 6'6" Corliss as our Center and getting killed. Maybe the team felt this and lost respect for him. Some even coming out to a Sac Bee columnist as saying they don't respect the coach!
Please say you're kidding with this.

I did not think I had anything nice to say about Muss, but you made me realize I do.

I would never doubt Eric's passion, commitment or work ethic. Not one single bit. I do not believe he left anything on the table when it comes to that.

So, there I did have something nice to say about him after all!

He was just in WAY WAY over his head and lacked the knowledge skills and attributes to excel in this role. Simple as that and nothing personal.

Rick Carlisle will be available in a few days. He's one of the best coaches in the league. You could do a lot worse.

As a Pacers fan and as someone who was 100% convinced that Musselman would be a really, really good coach.

Given that you though Muss would be a really, really good coach, I am not sure how much I want to trust your Carlisle recommendation....

just kidding

this is interesting from the rss feed. http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19978

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-musselman042007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
"Musselman was the choice of team owners Gavin and Joe Maloof to replace the coach they wanted out, Rick Adelman. They wanted a fresh, young voice and a disciplinarian, and they disposed of Adelman after the greatest era in franchise history, a run of eight straight playoff seasons. Against the wishes of general manager Geoff Petrie, they made the move, and now, after a 33-49 season and a locker room and franchise rife with dissension, the firing of Musselman on Friday confirmed it as a failed move. "

NOW, Hands off boys! Pay the bills, let GP do his job!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

As a Pacers fan and as someone who was 100% convinced that Musselman would be a really, really good coach. I don't know what went wrong - except Mus lost the team and it seemed to happen rather early on.

And while I do not really disagree wiht the general assesment fo Carlisle, well first of all we have a very prominent reason why we could not hire him, until/unless said prominent reason is dealt with. But more than that, Carlisle's Achilles appears to be the same thing that just happened to Muss in record time -- control freak, guys tune him out. Too good not to be a consideration though.

And while I do not really disagree wiht the general assesment fo Carlisle, well first of all we have a very prominent reason why we could not hire him, until/unless said prominent reason is dealt with. But more than that, Carlisle's Achilles appears to be the same thing that just happened to Muss in record time -- control freak, guys tune him out. Too good not to be a consideration though.

I don't think you could hire Carlisle if Artest is on the roster. Carlisle has a much different personality than does Musselman. Yes Carlisle likes to control the offense - but there is no one smarter than Carlisle and no one who knows the X's and O's better than he does.

The Kings biggest problem is horrible interior defenders - the worst in the NBA. Bibby isn't a good defender at all and my sense is that Martin is an average defender (please correct me if I'm wrong on Martin).

Anyone know why Porter got the axe in Milwaukee? I can't seem to recall. Was it because the players didn't like him, or that the team wasn't living up to internal expectations? I seem to recall that the national media thought he did a decent job in his first year as a head coach, and he's familiar with Petrie and the Maloofs.

Elie wouldn't be a bad choice, either, but I don't know if I'm too hungry to jump at this job if I'm Elie...he's inheriting a less than stellar roster that is not really built to succeed at any one aspect of the game. If I'm Elie the Pacers job would be much more attractive, especially if Jermaine O'Neal hangs around (at least that team has a guy that can defend the rim). The Pacers have some pretty attractive young talent, and if they can get a decent PG in there may be able to right the ship pretty quickly.

I don't think you could hire Carlisle if Artest is on the roster. Carlisle has a much different personality than does Musselman. Yes Carlisle likes to control the offense - but there is no one smarter than Carlisle and no one who knows the X's and O's better than he does.
And that's all we'd be getting-- an X's and O's coach who has a subpar feel for the game and substitution patterns that can fly in the face of common sense. Sound familiar? The co-worker/Pacers fan across the room from me is laughing at me and begging for the Kings to take him. He's worn out his welcome in Indiana. Brick is right-- too much potential to go down the same road as Mr. Powerpoint. Get a fresh face for this team who's eager to prove himself.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And that's all we'd be getting-- an X's and O's coach who has a subpar feel for the game and substitution patterns that can fly in the face of common sense. Sound familiar? The co-worker/Pacers fan across the room from me is laughing at me and begging for the Kings to take him. He's worn out his welcome in Indiana. Brick is right-- too much potential to go down the same road as Mr. Powerpoint. Get a fresh face for this team who's eager to prove himself.

Well...don't pigeonhole me too much with disgruntled Indiana fans -- I still do think Carlisle, unlike Muss, has proven he can be a winner in this league and made the playoffs 5 of 6 years. What I wonder isn't that he's not a good coach, but that he's not a coach who can work in the long term. Its possible he's one of those guys ala a Doug Collins or Mike Fratello who can get good short term results, but guys just get so so tired of the crap after a few years and tune him out. Don't know that. But it would definitely be my concern with Carlisle.