MLB Thread - 2024

If anyone out there needs a prime example of how crazy baseball can get for a single franchise, ponder over this little gem for a minute: The 2021 San Francisco Giants set a FRANCHISE record for most wins in a season.

Meanwhile, in 2024...:p:p:p

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If anyone out there needs a prime example of how crazy baseball can get for a single franchise, ponder over this little gem for a minute: The 2021 San Francisco Giants set a FRANCHISE record for most wins in a season.

Meanwhile, in 2024...:p:p:p
That season didn’t matter the second they lost to LA, then proceeded to scapegoat the above average manager just a few short seasons later.

Soler and Luke Jackson going to Atlanta…..dont know the return yet.
WOAH

The fact we got any sort of prospect return in a trade with Luke Jackson is god damn miracle.

Soler actually ended up pretty solid after a slow start to the season, but just not the right piece to be here for the time being. He helps a great team get a little better. He doesn't help an okay-ish team get over the hump.

Also looks like this was to get Luciano up to the bigs and get ABs, which I'm very okay with doing. Wins all around

dude12

Hall of Famer
If all Farhan does is deal Soler, then it kind of sucks.….although this clears the way for Luciano. But if your going to hold onto your main piece in Snell, then you may as well just keep your pieces and go for it

If all Farhan does is deal Soler, then it kind of sucks.….although this clears the way for Luciano. But if your going to hold onto your main piece in Snell, then you may as well just keep your pieces and go for it
Eh, I'm pretty fine mostly "staying put". Even if Snell walks in the off-season, I'm pretty sure we'll get a comp pick back for him. I was just more worried about us trying to salvage a WC performance and us trading a Birdsong/Luciano type for someone to win now

Eh, I'm pretty fine mostly "staying put". Even if Snell walks in the off-season, I'm pretty sure we'll get a comp pick back for him. I was just more worried about us trying to salvage a WC performance and us trading a Birdsong/Luciano type for someone to win now
I don’t think there’s a comp pick, since the Giants lost one for signing him this year. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t happen in back to back years.

I am generally ok with staying put as well (would be nice to maybe get something for Conforto, if possible), but I'm hoping the leaks about not wanting to deal Snell unless it’s a package better than what Houston paid for Kikuchi is just trying to up the bids.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Cobb traded to Indians for 19 year old Jacob Bresnahan and a player to be named later

Bresnahan isn’t listed on Fangraphs as in Indians top 42 prospects but his rookie league stats looked very good

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here’s some interesting data on trades going on.

Marlins are getting 4 of SD’s top 25 prospects in the Scott/Hoeing deal, including number 2 prospect Robby Snelling.
Other teams are getting top 15 prospects for trading solid relief pitchers.

I think Farhan, while shedding salary for 2025 is a positive, just is missing the mark on dealing some guys like Conforto and others. Lefty pen arm Rogers would have brought in a prospect. Snell no doubt would have brought in top 10 maybe a top 5 prospect.

Fangraphs has the Giants farm system ranked 25.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Then they go and get Mark Canha at the deadline for … reasons.

Fire Farhan.
I don’t get it…..haven’t even looked at the contract for Canha. But we basically exchanged Soler for Canha. The only thing Canha does better than Soler nowadays is he’s able to actually play the field without killing you. Can play some 1b if need be. He used to be a decent OB% guy but that’s down this year. So for a team that lacks power, we traded one of better power hitters for less power. Soler has been hot for like a month or so with an OPS around .900. Makes no sense.

I don’t get it…..haven’t even looked at the contract for Canha. But we basically exchanged Soler for Canha. The only thing Canha does better than Soler nowadays is he’s able to actually play the field without killing you. Can play some 1b if need be. He used to be a decent OB% guy but that’s down this year. So for a team that lacks power, we traded one of better power hitters for less power. Soler has been hot for like a month or so with an OPS around .900. Makes no sense.
Pretty clear his directive was to cut costs here at the deadline. Not that I think that's a bad thing, at least we'll get a shot to hopefully look at the young guys (Luciano? Birdsong?) the rest of the year and a new GM has a cleaner sheet for next year if he does get canned.

Does seem VERY foolish to not unload Snell. If we're trying to keep in play for a WC spot, why wouldn't we keep Soler, one of our better hitters, this year?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about Canha is that Bob Melvin absolutely loves the guy. Guy was secretly one of the most important players on the A's before, well, you know...

Wouldn't be surprised to see him regain a lost step or two under BoMel.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Love to see it
Casey Schmitt with 2nd deck HR, then Fitzgerald drives home Luciano, who had singled, with a 2b
Youth!

Encarnacion 1st AB? Chased up strikeout but he’s a big dude

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Blake Snell going full Cy Snell with just enough time in the season to opt out and leave the Giants with only a comp pick (I assume?) is peak Farhan.