MLB Thread - 2024

That got interesting at the end but Walker settled down with 3 straight Ks to leave bases loaded.
I don't know, just something weird about this team.

Like, you see the potential upside and how we easily can be a 90+ win squad. We just...dont play up to that talent on a consistent basis.

A big part of our 2010-2014 run was the "vibes" and being an immaculate locker room with team chemistry. I think that's sorely missing here.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't know, just something weird about this team.

Like, you see the potential upside and how we easily can be a 90+ win squad. We just...dont play up to that talent on a consistent basis.

A big part of our 2010-2014 run was the "vibes" and being an immaculate locker room with team chemistry. I think that's sorely missing here.
Those championship teams had veteran champion DNA. This has a bunch of players trying to establish themselves and then vets who are ok. Also, this bullpen pales to the championship years.

But the lineup just struggles to score at times. Bailey is in a massive extended slump. 2 ways to look at Wade. Good OB guy or a massive lack of power at a power position. I think SF is really hurting here at 1b. Fitz has been a revelation and Wisely and Schmitt are below average. Really missing a healthy Thairo. Yaz and Conforto are ok at best now. Heliot is good. McCray looks good. Chappy has been solid.
Melvin is not Bochy….but offensively, missing a big middle of the order bat or 2

Those championship teams had veteran champion DNA. This has a bunch of players trying to establish themselves and then vets who are ok. Also, this bullpen pales to the championship years.

But the lineup just struggles to score at times. Bailey is in a massive extended slump. 2 ways to look at Wade. Good OB guy or a massive lack of power at a power position. I think SF is really hurting here at 1b. Fitz has been a revelation and Wisely and Schmitt are below average. Really missing a healthy Thairo. Yaz and Conforto are ok at best now. Heliot is good. McCray looks good. Chappy has been solid.
Melvin is not Bochy….but offensively, missing a big middle of the order bat or 2
Chapman has pretty quietly been one of the best 2-way players in baseball. He's been awesome, def want him back next season.

But he just shouldn't be one of your best hitters i don't think. Needs to be like the 6-7 man

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Ohtani signed one of the weirdest contracts in sports history, got robbed of millions of dollars by his best friend (or had his friend take the fall for his gambling addiction depending on who you ask), got married, and is still putting up MVP numbers while still trying to recover full use of his pitching arm.

Dude’s greatness is so consistent that people only talk about him when his dog is around.

Ohtani signed one of the weirdest contracts in sports history, got robbed of millions of dollars by his best friend (or had his friend take the fall for his gambling addiction depending on who you ask), got married, and is still putting up MVP numbers while still trying to recover full use of his pitching arm.

Dude’s greatness is so consistent that people only talk about him when his dog is around.
If he ever gets to pitch again, he's on the fast track to being the GOAT. Even as a hitter, he's well on his way to HOF.

Crazy

dude12

Hall of Famer
Would be nice if SF brought up Luciano for the Sept call up and let him play every game so they can get an idea of what they got. Same for Wade Meckler. Or they can play the aged vets for some meaningless wins

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If he ever gets to pitch again, he's on the fast track to being the GOAT. Even as a hitter, he's well on his way to HOF.

Crazy
I don't love that Ohtani is on the Dodgers now, but I'm rooting for him to get to 50-50. Considering the way the SB all but disappeared from baseball during the latter stages of the steroid era, I didn't think I would ever see anyone reach that achievement in my lifetime. And for a guy who has an argument for being the best pitcher in baseball (when healthy) to be the one to do it is just beyond belief. How can you not love that?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't love that Ohtani is on the Dodgers now, but I'm rooting for him to get to 50-50. Considering the way the SB all but disappeared from baseball during the latter stages of the steroid era, I didn't think I would ever see anyone reach that achievement in my lifetime. And for a guy who has an argument for being the best pitcher in baseball (when healthy) to be the one to do it is just beyond belief. How can you not love that?
He’s a Dodger, I don’t love it :)

Congrats Matt Chapman on the new contract. And congrats to the Giants for ultimately finding a player who is twice as good as Carlos Correa and signing him for half the price. Sometimes these stories do have a good ending.
Yeah, he's just #good. Can't be your best hitter, but he's certainly a guy we need to keep if we want to actually try and continue to be good. Don't mind this deal at all

dude12

Hall of Famer
Our young Starting Pitchers have hit a wall. Our pen has been overworked all year.
Zaidi and Melvin probably shouldn’t survive this year. Maybe give Melvin another shot but Zaidi has been at this for awhile. The Giants hitters seem to underperform Or maybe that’s just who they are.

Can they live with Fitzgerald defensively at SS? Luciano defensively needs to show more. Giants have all but given up on Estrada who was solid on both sides of the ball…..weird.

JH Lee is back next year. But will Snell be back?

This team is floundering down the stretch

Our young Starting Pitchers have hit a wall. Our pen has been overworked all year.
Zaidi and Melvin probably shouldn’t survive this year. Maybe give Melvin another shot but Zaidi has been at this for awhile. The Giants hitters seem to underperform Or maybe that’s just who they are.

Can they live with Fitzgerald defensively at SS? Luciano defensively needs to show more. Giants have all but given up on Estrada who was solid on both sides of the ball…..weird.

JH Lee is back next year. But will Snell be back?

This team is floundering down the stretch
I think they both get one more year. And then the new gm gets to hire his coach.

Or at least I hope we don't follow the Kings ineptitude where a gm has to inherit a lame duck coach

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think they both get one more year. And then the new gm gets to hire his coach.

Or at least I hope we don't follow the Kings ineptitude where a gm has to inherit a lame duck coach
i did read one tidbit that Zaidi was expected to be let go but it could be speculation. He has had enough time for sure.
I think a major problem with Zaidi has been his inability to land middle of the order bats or at least put together effective platoons like Tampa has survived on. I mean, if you could have Chapman and Conforto and Yaz in the 6 and 7 spots in the order or Yaz in the 8-9 hole, they play. These guys are just being asked to deliver on something they are capable of doing. Not really Melvins fault but I have been surprised at how the staff and specifically the pen has been handled. He doesn’t have a feel for moves which is surprising being that he’s a former catcher.