MLB Thread - 2024

Giants draft a right fielder in the first round. James Tibbs III

MLB draft is funny. For close to half of these first round guys this will be the only time they wear that hat lol

The road to the MLB is so tough for the draft to have any immediate meaning

2 in a row for Snell since he’s come off the DL.
I really hope we don't buy though, at the deadline.

The plan (i hope) is let the kids play, see what they got and see if we get good Snell, Ray healthy, Cobb healthy and go from there. We very well might be in a place this off-season to go get 1 or 2 more impact players to add to the youth and the vets still producing.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really hope we don't buy though, at the deadline.

The plan (i hope) is let the kids play, see what they got and see if we get good Snell, Ray healthy, Cobb healthy and go from there. We very well might be in a place this off-season to go get 1 or 2 more impact players to add to the youth and the vets still producing.
We’ve been better whenever the youth is providing a spark. I know the vets are rounding into form, but we can’t fall into the same old trap and risk pushing them aside for rentals who may not even be worth it.

We’ve been better whenever the youth is providing a spark. I know the vets are rounding into form, but we can’t fall into the same old trap and risk pushing them aside for rentals who may not even be worth it.
Yeah, I think we do have quite a few of the pieces here for a playoff run. But I wanna see if we get a few more of these young guys pop before we go make a "all-in" type move. It'd be such a blunder to give up on a Matos/Birdsong/Luciano for some vet that's not really going to put us over the top. We need those guys to pop first THEN we go add the vet.

Bullpen is still trash.

Still fuming about that stupid umpire costing the Giants 2 runs.

Conforto watching a meatball glide past him with the bases juiced didn’t help. I miss the see ball hit ball approach. Not the guess, sit and get caught looking like an idiot approach. Thats why everybody hits .220 nowadays.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Please please please just sell, let the youth get their time in, dont try to force a failed WildCard appearance, and grow organically now. We’re never going to sign the star. Let’s just hope we develop a few.

I'm over it. Farhan, all of them.

Sell everyone. Webb included. Youth gets to stay, but it's time to bottom this thing out, bring in a new regime and actually try and build a contender

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm over it. Farhan, all of them.

Sell everyone. Webb included. Youth gets to stay, but it's time to bottom this thing out, bring in a new regime and actually try and build a contender
Agree with everything except Webb. I’ve never viewed him as an ace-level guy (ain’t nothing wrong with being a good #2) so his production is exactly what I want/expect from him. Plus he’s around long-term, on a pretty darn good deal. There’s little reason to send him off unless the return is absurd, and I don’t think he’s good enough for other teams to want to send said return.

Why is it that the Giants don’t hit? All of their averages are around .220-.230….except a few guys. A lot of guys having down years
Because our hitters routinely take the best pitches they’ll see in an at bat because they guessed wrong or they want to work the count…but I think that approach only works if you have a lot of guys that don’t strike out a lot. Giants have a lot of guys that strike out a ton.

Farhan mentioned it earlier in the season. The hitters take the most hitable pitches in the at bat. I don’t know if that is Burrell or just a consequence of the guess and commit approach to hitting over the last decade…probably the latter

Anyway, I’ve seen enough. This cycle will only repeat itself into an 80 win season. They’ll win 3 straight series and look like they’ll turn it around before falling on their face.

Trade the vets for whatever they can get. Trade Doval definitely. Webb should stay unless we get a farm altering deal for him. He’s still young, locked down, and he is dominant at home if only very good on the road most games.

Last edited:
Ramos and Matos sold that one. Our bullpen struggles enough with a clean slate. Spotting the Dodgers a lead off double is a deathblow…but ultimately, the vets aren’t putting runs over home plate.

Nice watching Fitzgerald breakout.

Snell with another strong start.

dude12

Hall of Famer
There have been promising debuts and breakouts for SF, some vets are performing as expected, but then some other vets are just in the way. Snell is rounding into shape, the bullpen has been overworked all season.
Matos has been ice cold since that hot streak a while ago, Fitz is a keeper, Birdsong looks like a rotation piece for the next decade, they could use Jung Hoo Lee in CF in the worst way.
They should sell vet pieces if there is a deal in place though

Always hate losing to the Dodgers, but glad we're going on a little losing streak here. Not super concerned being sellers, but man do I not want us to be buyers. Team just isnt there